PDA

View Full Version : All those people who said Hingis was only going to improve on her comeback ...

GoDominique
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Where are they now? :tape:

Seriously, why was hardly anyone even considering the possibility of Hingis getting worse (and maybe retiring again) when things wouldn't go her way immediately? Instead everyone kept repeating "it's only her first season, wait what she will do next year" like a broken record.
Myself, I'm not surprised at how things are going. I know Martina was NOT satisfied with her first season back despite making two GS quarterfinals and reaching the top 10. Because that was not what she was coming back for at all. I'm sure she came back because she really thought she could get past the rather weak competition and win Slams again. Now that this hasn't really worked she's going down and down.
With injuries coming back it's only a matter of time until she will retire again, and then it will be for good.

Matt01
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
:rolleyes:

franklinbouvier
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:30 PM
What is your point?
She's not good enough?
She got back into the top ten. That's good enough for me.
She's injured. Grow up.

Demska
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
:yawn:

spencercarlos
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
What is your point?
She's not good enough?
She got back into the top ten. That's good enough for me.
She's injured. Grow up.
I agree, there is no need to bash or judge Martina´s form, afterall she is not a grand slam winning material anymore, and she has been seriosly injured for 3 months now.

CORIA01
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
she was injured and even like that she can play better than other players.
Martina can win at least one more slam. Moreover I really enjoy watching her playing§!

GoDominique
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Well if she's that seriously injured, why in the world is she playing Wimbledon then? :rolleyes:
Even if she likes the tournament, being injured she has zero hope of going far and probably just makes things worse.
So either she's a little stupid, or her injury isn't all that bad.

MatchpointPRT
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Well if she's that seriously injured, why in the world is she playing Wimbledon then? :rolleyes:
Even if she likes the tournament, being injured she has zero hope of going far and probably just makes things worse.
So either she's a little stupid, or her injury isn't all that bad.

Because she already missed lots of tournaments and she wants to play... maybe that wasn´t the best decision but you can´t say she is 100% fit. I also don´t understand why you wasted your time in opening this thread. What is the point? You think that a player that is able to win tournaments and have a good ranking shouldn´t be playing tennis?

danieln1
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:06 AM
:( :o

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
She has won two big tournaments since her comeback. I think it's great. She may not be number one anymore but she still has competitive matches with everyone in the top ten. Right now, she is injured. What do you expect?

She'll come back in a month and be fine.

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM
She may not be number one anymore but she still has competitive matches with everyone in the top ten.
Wow, that's awesome. I'm sure this was Hingis' ultimate goal when she decided to return.

Buitenzorg
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:26 AM
WE LOVE YOU, HINGIS :)

I don't really give a f**k about your opinion, that's all! :p

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:27 AM
Yet you entered this thread.

UDACHi
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:38 AM
where is heylookimgay????????

Foxy
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM
People said she was gonna win Grand Slams was the no-winners like Pam, Carillo, MJF.

It's so funny because everyone seem to base their comments of players based on what these 3 women has to say.

But you NEVER hear BJK or any of the other true Grand Slam Champions spew as much garbage as these three, with the exception of neurotic Tracey Austin who had a mental breakdown after she won her 2 titles.

I never believed that Hingis should have ever quit playing tennis. She used her "damaged feet" as an excuse to hide. Now that was lack of confidence.

Since she's been back, no one has even mentioned her damaged feet that supposedly resulted from her tennis shoes, and would last the rest of her life. Boy, what a big lie.

Dawn Marie
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM
Martina is injured. She came into Wimbledon with little match practice. She is in the top ten and won a title or 2 this year. Stop acting like she's never going to win a slam because you never know with past champions. People count out Venus every day but she won another one in 05. Imho you can not count out Hingis at the French Open.

I can't believe that a Dominque Vanroost fan is actually starting this thread???

Why kick a player when their down??

GoDominique
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM
Another quality post by Dumb Marie. Too lazy right now to point out all the glaring errors (about a dozen or so).

lecciones
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM
:weirdo:

Derek.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:58 AM
where is heylookimgay????????

Probably watching Hingis matches from 7 years ago.

CaptnMatt
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:19 AM
lol at derek.

7 years ago or 50....Hingis has achieved more than most did in her career.....what the hell has Hantuchova done? 2 Titles at Indian Wells....gee, she's special :rolleyes:

Hingie
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:48 AM
If Martina in her prime, was this top 20 player with a few slam semis and a couple of tier 1 titles under her belt, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

It is her remarkable results back in the late 90's which make us have such high expectations for her. Whether or not she considers 2006 a success, i'm not too sure but as a fan, i still think she is the most talented out there.

I can only hope she regains her confidence (despite the injury i think this is her biggest obstacle), heals and if these two things happen, strong results will follow.

switz
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM
i'm not worried. her results before the injury were better than last year and i'm sure she'll get back on track. although we all know that even Hingis won the US Open and finished the year number 1 GoDominque would still start a thread saying "I was right abut Hingis"

LeonHart
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
No way, I didn't expect Hingis to start winning grand slams the year she came back. Are you kidding me? Everyone on this board was saying she wouldn't even be in the top 50 and she overcame that, and made the Quarters 3 times since her comeback and top 10. That is amazing for not being on the tour for nearly 4 years! Now she's injured and not in shape, so of course she's not gonna go deep into this tournament!

maddogz48
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:22 AM
Hingis will never win another Grand Slam unless the top players all get injured or get knocked out early.
Hingis' record against the top ten ranked players for 2006 was 5 wins- 11 losses. So far in 2007 she has 1 won and 1 loss. If Martina can't consistently beat the top ten ranked women on a regular basis she might as well retire again and save herself further embarassment.

Invisible Fan
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:51 AM
i'm not worried. her results before the injury were better than last year and i'm sure she'll get back on track. although we all know that even Hingis won the US Open and finished the year number 1 GoDominque would still start a thread saying "I was right abut Hingis"

I don't really think her results were better earlier this year. She lost to Dani twice, Safina and Agnieszka Radwanska.
Last year she was losing to top 5 type players only - apart from her Wimbledon and US open losses.

BTW I hope she does come back from this injury and start to play well again. But it seems like some of the younger talented players were starting to beat her this year.

trufanjay
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
Hingis' game just doesn't work. She is a talented player but she has no way to impose her game on other players. She may win one or two more titles before she retires. She can't even beat a player like Sugiyama who has the same style of play. Anyone who can hit big can run her off of the court fast. It was good while it lasted. She is a great tactical player but she loses so much confidence when she sees these bigger and stronger players on the other side of the net.

hingisGOAT
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:53 AM
Where are they now? :tape:

Seriously, why was hardly anyone even considering the possibility of Hingis getting worse (and maybe retiring again) when things wouldn't go her way immediately? Instead everyone kept repeating "it's only her first season, wait what she will do next year" like a broken record.
Myself, I'm not surprised at how things are going. I know Martina was NOT satisfied with her first season back despite making two GS quarterfinals and reaching the top 10. Because that was not what she was coming back for at all. I'm sure she came back because she really thought she could get past the rather weak competition and win Slams again. Now that this hasn't really worked she's going down and down.
With injuries coming back it's only a matter of time until she will retire again, and then it will be for good.

http://www.uranther.com/funnypics/stfu.jpg

hingis-seles
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:52 AM
Most of the responses in this thread are of what posters' expectations were, not Hingis'. You may be satisfied with her results, but is she?

GoDom has raised a valid point. I don't understand why everyone is attacking him like rabid animals.

lecciones
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
lol at derek.

7 years ago or 50....Hingis has achieved more than most did in her career.....what the hell has Hantuchova done? 2 Titles at Indian Wells....gee, she's special :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHA!! Good one, and people have to be reminded that in a span of four years martina did 99% of what I have in my signature.

lecciones
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hingis' game just doesn't work. She is a talented player but she has no way to impose her game on other players. She may win one or two more titles before she retires. She can't even beat a player like Sugiyama who has the same style of play. Anyone who can hit big can run her off of the court fast. It was good while it lasted. She is a great tactical player but she loses so much confidence when she sees these bigger and stronger players on the other side of the net.

I feel that you are correct with your last sentence, and hopefully this is something Hingis can remove from her memory... her losses to the big players at the end of 2002, it wasn't really all her fault, she had an injury, but these things come back to you as mental baggage. Hopefully Martina can pull through, because honestly, she could have easily defeated Granville if she had her head and confidence in the game.

markhingis
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Why don't you haters leave her alone? She's not gonna be the same Martina we know from late 90's. But who cares,she's aging,not so fit anymore.if you have a brain,you don't expect much from her,especially since she's not the Serena-type of player.
For me,it's satisfying to see her playing! each her loss makes me sad but only for a while. She's back and that does matter for Martina fans!!!

Max565
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
Whatever :rolleyes:

Alizé Molik
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
obviously all through the nineties everyone was waiting for the day that Martina wouldn't be number one so they could trash talk her all they liked...

The fact is that Martina was, is and could be for another 6 or so years a top quality player who had an injury and came back a little to early to a grand slam..it happens and it certainly isn't new.

I can't accept the assertion that Martina's game "doesn't work" I think that should be a phrase reserved for the likes of a Brémond...Martina's game works quite well as evidenced by the dozens of titles she's won, it's not fair to say that if she can't be number without exceptions she can't play at all, the fact is after 5 grand slam titles, she can do whatever the fuck she likes.