PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon COULD be cancelled...

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
j
CNN USA is speculating if Britain raises the terror threat to severe or the highest level, any ongoing events can be cancelled at will. This includes the Diana concert tomorrow and Wimbledon.
AGAIN, this is SPECULATION at the moment, but if they find any more bombs and threats around Great Briatin...all bets are off!!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...ert/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/30/london.alert/index.html)

Gordon brown raises the terror threat to critical
http://news.sky.com/skynews/home (http://news.sky.com/skynews/home)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm)

sharapovarulz1
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Oh god i can't believe it's got this far :sad:

Why are there such sick bastards in the world :mad:

Nicolas
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Not a good week for UK!

Floods, terrorist plot...... :o

schorsch
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
what the heck is going on ?

Fairuz9
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
:eek:

Paule22
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I dont think that will happen at all. Because thats giving up.

Natalicious
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
omg :eek: :help:

please not

Derek.
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ugh. :mad:

Craigy
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Can Serena have to the trophy then? :sad: :lol:

Demska
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Surely this is letting the terrorist do what they plan and terrorise.

Demska
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM

:spit:

anlavalle
oh noooo :fiery: :mad:

Kim's_fan_4ever
I dont think that will happen at all. Because thats giving up.

No, it's not. It's called saving people's life from potential danger.

SunriseSunset
That's stupid. The police said that the level has been raised since...I think...July last yr. The threat is constant throughout the yr, so if they cancel it now, they might as well cancel every sincel tournament for every single sport. This is pure panic.

Dexter
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
No, it's not. It's called saving people's life from potential danger.That's only one side of things.

Demska
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:22 PM

http://i17.tinypic.com/4mahmw5.jpg

Jose-Luis
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
OMG :eek:

Slutiana
That's stupid. The police said that the level has been raised since...I think...July last yr. The threat is constant throughout the yr, so if they cancel it now, they might as well cancel every sincel tournament for every single sport. This is pure panic.

no the level was raised after 7/7..that was it....they think an attack is imminent and if they recieve intelligence that an attack could take place anyware near wimbledon, they'll have no choice but to cancel or delay the event....if canceling every event is gonna save lives in the end...thats exactly what they should do

Kim's_fan_4ever
That's only one side of things.

But the most important one, no? There's nothing more valuable than human's life.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:25 PM
But the most important one, no? There's nothing more valuable than human's life.

agreed. Even if a single person's life was in danger, they'd have no choice but to cancel it

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Many people have fought and died because they thought there were things more important.

In any case, it's funny to see the different reaction between the two boards.

Wimbledon will not be cancelled, people.

Dexter
But the most important one, no? There's nothing more valuable than human's life.You don't have to be genius to know that when you let someone control you, you're in deep troubles.

Craigy

:bowdown: She would still be posing away :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I hope they don't have to cancel Wimbledon! :sobbing:

tennisboi
I was gonna go up to Wimbledon tomorrow night but i'm not going in a million years now:help:

HTE
No, it's not. It's called saving people's life from potential danger.

True, but we can't evacuate the world and cancel life, because a few lunatics have been dropped on the floor one time too many when they were kids.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM
You don't have to be genius to know that when you let someone control you, you're in deep troubles.

yeah i understand but if gordon brown was to hear of another few terrorist threats and he didnt do anything to stop it and it happened in wimbly and people died...he and the whole country's problems will be so much worse

ViennaCalling
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM

:eek: :tape:

Still :lol:

Jose-Luis
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM

:spit: :tape:

SJW
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM
American journalism involves creating interest more than reporting news.
It won't be cancelled.

Pureracket
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:33 PM
It won't be cancelled.
SJW,
You're currently living in England, right? I don't know why, but I was wondering about you and hoping you were doing well.

sdtoot
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM
The UK terror threat level got raised to CRITICAL tonight:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
:help:

.Andrew.
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM

:lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
j

i turned over to MTF for one freaking second and this is what i find...this deserves a seperate thread from the queuing..there will be more replies

FU*K YOU TERRORISTS :sad:

Gordon brown raises the terror threat to critical:sad:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/home (http://news.sky.com/skynews/home)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm)

Err, yes. I had a look at your links and the only mentions of Wimbledon were this from the BBC..."Police increased patrols and security for events in London over the weekend, including the Gay Pride parade, the Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium and the Wimbledon tennis championships." Wimbledon is not mentioned in the Sky article nor is the canceling of any entertainment or sporting events. Please restrain yourself from coming up with stupid conclusions with no basis on fact.

It won't be cancelled.

Finally an sensible non reactionary post. As you say Wimbledon will not be canceled. Security might be increased but it will not be canceled. End of story.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:52 PM
True, but we can't evacuate the world and cancel life, because a few lunatics have been dropped on the floor one time too many when they were kids.

Of course not. All I'm saying is that the public events like for example Wimbledon are a very good target for these kind of attacks and if there is a high risk of an attack such events should be canceled.
We cannot prevent every attack and there will always be people who will die
because of this senseless attacks but if we can save thousands of lifes then why not do it?

You don't have to be genius to know that when you let someone control you, you're in deep troubles.

Yeah right, so better let innocent people die...

AlwaysAmelie
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM

No it should stay with Amelie ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Of course not. All I'm saying is that the public events like for example Wimbledon are a very good target for these kind of attacks and if there is a high risk of an attack such events should be canceled.
because of this senseless attacks but if we can save thousands of lifes then why not do it?

Why stop at canceling Wimbledon? Why don't we go a step further and just put the whole country on a curfew. No one should be allowed out of the house after 7pm without special permisson. That may help too. :tape:

Seriously, you are overeacting to a ridiculous degree. Life has to go on. One doesn't ban cars because car accidents kill people. There are always risks. It is up to the police and security personnel to reduce this risk as much as possible. They do a pretty good job. We didn't close the tube system after the bombings on June 7 and we won't start canceling sporting and entertainment events now without extremely good cause. Right now that is not even close to being the case.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Err, yes. I had a look at your links and the only mentions of Wimbledon were this from the BBC..."Police increased patrols and security for events in London over the weekend, including the Gay Pride parade, the Concert for Diana at Wembley Stadium and the Wimbledon tennis championships." Wimbledon is not mentioned in the Sky article nor is the canceling of any entertainment or sporting events. Please restrain yourself from coming up with stupid conclusions with no basis on fact.

well first of all. As i said....these links arent my own...they're from MTF..and anyway...were only about the terrorist threat right now.

Im sorry but the truth is. If there are more terrorist threats..the organisers will have no choice but to cancel or delay wimbledon for the sake of public safety...i didnt say it will happen...hence the 'COULD' being in caps...are you telling me that if there is more terrorist activity going on near wimbledon..they're just gonna act like nothings going on and put the spectators health at risk by continuing with the tournie??

Paule22
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM

So when we cancel Wimbledon, they dont have the chance to try at a tube station again? It's just the point. They want to distract our personal lifes and if we let them do this, they would have won. It's enough they are doing these cruel things, but they are not winning against me. I will live my life the same as always, otherwise for me its giving up. If you find it to dangeous, stay at home.

We can improve security and have to think about where this all comes from, but life must go on.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Seriously, you are overeacting to a ridiculous degree. Life has to go on. One doesn't ban cars because car accidents kill people. .

well if a manufacture found out that they had made 500 cars with dud breaks they would have to recall the cars back...

thats the same with wimbly.... If 500 people were in danger at wimbledon, they would have to cancel it....simple as...

franklinbouvier
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Wimbledon won't be cancelled you overreacting cretin.
A couple of ineffectual wannabe-terrorists ploughed into a regional airport terminal.
It's hardly a war. *rolls eyes*

hablo
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
It won't be cancelled.

Yeah, ESPN has been have reports about this.

Anyhow, I hope Wimbledon isn't cancelled.

LefandePatty
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM
:awww:

Damn I want Patty to take the title! :mad:

Dexter
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Why stop at canceling Wimbledon? Why don't we go a step further and just put the whole country on a curfew. No one should be allowed out of the house after 7pm without special permisson. That may help too. :tape:

Seriously, you are overeacting to a ridiculous degree. Life has to go on. One doesn't ban cars because car accidents kill people. There are always risks. It is up to the police and security personnel to reduce this risk as much as possible. They do a pretty good job. We didn't close the tube system after the bombings on June 7 and we won't start canceling sporting and entertainment events now without extremely good cause. Right now that is not even close to being the case.Seconded.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
They should move Wimbledon to Roland Garros, and play week 2 in Paris.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Wimbledon won't be cancelled you overreacting cretin.
A couple of ineffectual wannabe-terrorists ploughed into a regional airport terminal.
It's hardly a war. *rolls eyes*

why start insulting? :rolleyes:

immature.

Anyway, i suppose the government has to find the right balance between protecting the public and continuing with life normally...obviously..if there's a threat on wimbledon they WILL at least delay it but if it just stays like this, they will just continue like normal

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
well first of all. As i said....these links arent my own...they're from MTF..and anyway...were only about the terrorist threat right now.

Im sorry but the truth is. If there are more terrorist threats..the organisers will have no choice but to cancel or delay wimbledon for the sake of public safety...i didnt say it will happen...hence the 'COULD' being in caps...are you telling me that if there is more terrorist activity going on near wimbledon..they're just gonna act like nothings going on and put the spectators health at risk by continuing with the tournie??

Sure. And if a nuclear bomb is dropped in the middle of a baseball match at Yankee stadium they will cancel the baseball season.

Listen very clearly, you are fear mongering to a level that does a disservice to us all. You talk about "more terrorist activity going on near Wimbledon". More? There hasn't been any terrorist activity near Wimbledon, unless you consider the West End close to Wimbledon. And for your information currently no entertainment events within the West End have been canceled, and there certainly has been no talk of canceling Wimbledon. Life is going on as normal. Except perhaps for idiots like you who would prefer for all of us to go on a mass panic.

Of course if UK Intelligence had clear information that suggested an immenent threat to Wimbledon they would take whatever precautions were necessary. But the plain and simple fact is we are not at that point and there are no indications we are likely to be in the imminent future. If you wish to panic then please go lock yourself in your bathroom and panic on your own. I see no reason to join you.

hablo
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Oh HELL NO! :help:

(Unless they can put grass courts there. :bolt::tape: )

sharapovarulz1
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM

I second that :eek:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM
So when we cancel Wimbledon, they dont have the chance to try at a tube station again? It's just the point. They want to distract our personal lifes and if we let them do this, they would have won. It's enough they are doing these cruel things, but they are not winning against me. I will live my life the same as always, otherwise for me its giving up. If you find it to dangeous, stay at home.

We can improve security and have to think about where this all comes from, but life must go on.

Seconded! :yeah:

Poova
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Great posts from ChrisCHorse. :yeah: I agree with all the points. Wimbledon will not be cancelled. ;)

young_gunner913
Jun 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM

yeah right. Justine wishes.

Il Primo!
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:08 PM

They would also the select the more bad teethed people possible and bind them to speak english to avoid Manélie's famous superchokes :tape:

Hum, well, frankly they can't cancell Wimbledon.I think you're all bored and overreact just to have something to do :p

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Sure. And if a nuclear bomb is dropped in the middle of a baseball match at Yankee stadium they will cancel the baseball season.

Listen very clearly, you are fear mongering to a level that does a disservice to us all. You talk about "more terrorist activity going on near Wimbledon". More? There hasn't been any terrorist activity near Wimbledon, unless you consider the West End close to Wimbledon. And for your information currently no entertainment events within the West End have been canceled, and there certainly has been no talk of canceling Wimbledon. Life is going on as normal. Except perhaps for idiots like you who would prefer for all of us to go on a mass panic.

Of course if UK Intelligence had clear information that suggested an immenent threat to Wimbledon they would take whatever precautions were necessary. But the plain and simple fact is we are not at that point and there are no indications we are likely to be in the imminent future. If you wish to panic then please go lock yourself in your bathroom and panic on your own. I see no reason to join you.

no you listen very carefully...im not panicing...im calm....what im trying to say is that if theres is terrorist activity going on everyday...it doesent matter if its a bunch of fools who dont know what the hell they're doing...they're not just gonna act like nothings happened coz when something bad happens they'll get the blame..i wrote 'more' as in more terrorist activity. (this time) at wimbledon but yeah i get how you though i was sayin that...anyway enough with the cusses...i havent started gettin rude to you so i dont see any reason for you to start on me:rolleyes: . And listen.. I copied all of my first post from MTF...

In announcing the raised threat level, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said, "The first duty of the government is the security and safety of all the British people."

The Prime Minister's main concern is the safety of the people...if theres a possible threat at wimbledon...he will do what he has to do to keep them safe that could mean canceling it....that is the worst case scenario tho...any other case and well continue as normal. basically, its possible but will only happen if something really bad was to happen and so is unlikely...THAT is what i mean...i think u misunderstood me....

everyone is saying that wimbledon can't be cancelled...maybe i do sound like im saying it will be but all im trying to say is that it CAN be.......im not saying it will be but in the worst case scenario...it is possible it couls be cancelled...do you agree?

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM
They would also the select the more bad teethed people possible and bind them to speak english to avoid Manélie's famous superchokes :tape:

Hum, well, frankly they can't cancell Wimbledon.I think you're all bored and overreact just to have something to do :p

im surprised no one here calls her that really...

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:25 PM
no you listen very carefully...im not panicing...im calm....what im trying to say is that if theres is terrorist activity going on everyday...it doesent matter if its a bunch of fools who dont know what the hell they're doing...they're not just gonna act like nothings happened coz when something bad happens they'll get the blame..i wrote 'more' as in more terrorist activity. (this time) at wimbledon but yeah i get how you though i was sayin that...anyway enough with the cusses...i havent started gettin rude to you so i dont see any reason for you to start on me:rolleyes: . And listen.. I copied all of my first post was copied from MTF...what I myself am trying to say is that if we continue with no more terrorist attacks for the rest of the week or terrorist activity in places like glasgow and away from wimbledon, wimbledon will stay open...i agree 100% with what your trying to say...but if a terrorist attack was to happen in, say, raynes park...they might maybe have to like delay the tournie by a day..and if something else happened near there...they might have to cancel delay the tournie until they fell theres no imminent terror threat...

In announcing the raised threat level, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said, "The first duty of the government is the security and safety of all the British people."

The Prime Minister's main concern is the safety of the people...if theres a possible threat at wimbledon...he will do what he has to do to keep them safe that could mean canceling it....that is the worst case scenario tho...any other case and well continue as normal. basically, its possible but will only happen if something really bad was to happen and so is unlikely...THAT is what i mean...i think u misunderstood me....

I do not misunderstand you. You are basing this entire thread on highly improbably speculation. If the drama of the UK being on high alert excites you so much that you feel compelled to produce a thread like this one based only on a grim worstcase senario all I can say is you must be one sick individual.

keinimod
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Wimbledon won't be cancelled :rolleyes:
The UK lived with the threat from the IRA for decades. Nothing was ever cancelled.

Unless them terrorists make it pour all next week of course....

sharapovarulz1
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM
All i can say is if we start cancelling all these events and changing our everyday lie and living in fear every time we walk out of our house the terrorists have won :mad:

tennisrocks123
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM
it would be devastating if wimbledon was cancelled, it would be a really weird feeling....

sharapovarulz1
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
it would be devastating if wimbledon was cancelled, it would be a really weird feeling....

I know i wouldnt know what to do with myself for the 2 weeks :sad:

LefandePatty
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Chokomomo. :banana:

Rolling-Thunder
Jun 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Let's not fall prey to the typical fear-mongering that is such the norm. Don't blow this incident out of proportions. More people died from drunk driving or car accidents this past week than from any terrorist incident. And it is impossible at this time to know who is responsible for the recent, coincidental terror event coming on the heels of Mr Brown taking over from the failed and disgraced Blair administration.

The best policiy is caution while continuing to live normally. Heck there could be a massive hurricane or tsunami or earthquake that takes all of some of us away next week. Or we could be hit or fall and crack our scull. Or perhaps one might choke on a piece of ice or gently pass away in our sleep. There is an endless litany of what ifs or could bes that we could speculate about and cower in fear and trembling. Let's not fall victim to fear and cowardice. Life marches ever onward!

Just stop all the daggone rain...

Joana
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Yes. It could be cancelled if someone drops a nuclear bomb on Centre Court, or bombs the British Parliament, or WWIII erupts. So far, the probability of any of those events occurring is extremely low, so don't hold your breath.

Buitenzorg
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Why would you start this tournament then? now we are half way through to the finals :mad:

ASP0315
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM

:yeah:
good idea. :devil:

i wan't it to be moved to Australia actually. :p Australia got a lot of grass courts.

Foxy
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:43 AM
This isn't just an England thing. Their are people from all around the world and this country has to do everything to protect their safety.

It doesn't matter about the money, it's about saving peoples lives.

Contrary to belief, when it's all said and done, people are gonna realize that Bush wasn't wrong in stating that we are gonna have to fight terrorism all around the world.

This is a RELIGIOUS WAR and the terrorist are fighting a JEHAD. It ain't no joke.

They are cowards and they strike where there are the most people and collateral damage.

How many hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world are in England now.

These crazy people will start a WW3 because it's people from every country on the globe in England, and they will retaliate back.

Reuchlin
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:51 AM
If peoples lives are in danger I couldnt care less about a silly tennis tournament. Federer can live without the extra million in his bank account.

Yasmine
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:55 AM
great how the bloody media can make everyone panick :rolleyes: seriously the terrorist don't even need to spend money and time making bombs explode anymore... Just a hint of a thread or a careless way to get caught and they get what they want, people living in fear.

mankind
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Oh God, things are getting political on wtaworld. :scared:

Yasmine
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Seriously, you are overeacting to a ridiculous degree. Life has to go on. One doesn't ban cars because car accidents kill people. There are always risks. It is up to the police and security personnel to reduce this risk as much as possible. They do a pretty good job. We didn't close the tube system after the bombings on June 7 and we won't start canceling sporting and entertainment events now without extremely good cause. Right now that is not even close to being the case.
exactly, We might as well just all hide ourselves at home, refrain from going out for a meal, going on the tube, going for work and all the rest :rolleyes:

WF4EVER
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:11 AM
the rain will beat the terrorists to it

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM
If this event can happen in the total surveillance society and city of London where there are millions of CCTVs (a virtual police blanket), I hardly think one can cower and clamor that the sky is falling and we will all die at any moment. Yes rain is falling, but let's not go overboard. Turn off the news and stop being programmed to fear, fear, fear.

Never leave your homes people. That will solve everything.

Sam L
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
Are these Islamic terrorists?

SV_Fan
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM
If they do cancel it it'll be 2 champs next year!!!! Like how they used to do at the AO.

Drake1980
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:33 AM

.ivy.
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM

I think it's unknown as of yet, but most likely.

(The correct term is Muslim; Islam is the religion. :cool:)

switz
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:55 AM
Wimbledon will not be canceled.

LindsayRulz
Jul 1st, 2007, 01:57 AM

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Threat or not, the Government MUST NOT CANCEL Wimbledon... if they do so, it signals that the terrorists had won. Yes, lives are at risk, but if backs down each time there's a bomb threat, the terrorists will be bolder each time and eventually shows that UK is a "weak, useless country". Imagine if this were to happen during the Olympics in 2012, or any other future events. Who would want to host anything in UK then? The image of UK in the eyes of the world is tarnished forever, and it would take a long time to restore the pride back.

Therefore, show them (the terrorists) that you will not fall down on your knees. Show them that no matter what happens, UK will always stand strong, tall and proud. Show them UK will not cover in hiding from any threat that's thrown into your way. Keep Wimbledon running to show a message of defience to the terrorists. Add more security personnal if you have to. Do what is necessary to keep Wimbledon moving smoothly and safely.

As the saying goes - "The ball's in your court now". Throw it back at them, and tell those terrorists "Now it's in your court. Decide".

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:11 AM
England is the most mentally tough country on earth. They aren't cancelling anything.

Natasc
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Juts one thing:

"I thought that the objective of terrorism is to cause terror (panic), they win when they're able to do this."

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:27 AM
How does one determine the most mentally tough country on earth? Is it by the number of CCTVs and Big Brother eyes looking down at all hours of the day in every corner?

Even if this were a real event unlike the questionable nature of the 7/7 event, Mr Blair can claim some credit for it. Perhaps this will aid in his being the roving "peace envoy" of the great western powers. No irony lost there friends...

trufanjay
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM
Right now the situation does not seem so terrible that they would cancel Wimbledon. I really disagree with all of you who say that cancelling the event would let the terrorists win and all they want to do is scare the citizens and all this other junk. If the situation were to get to the point where they would have to cancel or delay Wimbledon then it would be for the best.

NOT ALL terrorists want to disturb the public only, some have an agenda. Who is to say that they wouldn't threaten the tennis facility if they wanted to really hurt the country. Look at what happened to the Twin Towers and the Pentagon in America. Of course this situation is in no way compared to that but if it were to get to that extent some of you are being crazy saying that the event should not be cancelled because it would make the terrorists win. What if their idea of "winning" would be to kill thousands of people.

Right now it doesn't look like Wimbledon is in danger, but if it were they would need to put pride aside and do what is best to save people's lives. This is a crazy world people, let's not be foolish.

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM
How does one determine the most mentally tough country on earth? Is it by the number of CCTVs and Big Brother eyes looking down at all hours of the day in every corner?

Even if this were a real event unlike the questionable nature of the 7/7 event, Mr Blair can claim some credit for it. Perhaps this will aid in his being the roving "peace envoy" of the great western powers. No irony lost there friends...

I didn't mean to start any sort of political discussion. I just believe that England and British people in general are very strong and do not give in to terrorists. They have endured years of conflict throughout their history and have always had a brave face and a strong will (eg Churchill in WWII).

Sally Struthers
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:49 AM
The only way they would cancel Wimbledon is if a nuclear bomb went off at center court.

Ben.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM
I'm just stuck between two sides at the moment. I know that we have to try and protect like hundreds & thousands of people from these possible terrorist attacks but we also cannot just stay in our houses worrying bout when the next bombing is gonna happen.

and about wimbledon, all we can do is just hope that it is not gonna be cancelled. if it has to be cancelled due to a bomb threat near the tournament in order to save lives then so be it.

but i'm gonna stay positive & say that wimbledon is not gonna be cancelled.

Apoleb
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Right now the situation does not seem so terrible that they would cancel Wimbledon. I really disagree with all of you who say that cancelling the event would let the terrorists win and all they want to do is scare the citizens and all this other junk. If the situation were to get to the point where they would have to cancel or delay Wimbledon then it would be for the best.

NOT ALL terrorists want to disturb the public only, some have an agenda. Who is to say that they wouldn't threaten the tennis facility if they wanted to really hurt the country. Look at what happened to the Twin Towers and the Pentagon in America. Of course this situation is in no way compared to that but if it were to get to that extent some of you are being crazy saying that the event should not be cancelled because it would make the terrorists win. What if their idea of "winning" would be to kill thousands of people.

Right now it doesn't look like Wimbledon is in danger, but if it were they would need to put pride aside and do what is best to save people's lives. This is a crazy world people, let's not be foolish.

Agreed. :yeah:

Taking a risk that might cause the loss of tens of lives so it wouldn't appear that terrorists won is ridiculous.

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:03 AM
England like a lot of places has endured years of conflict. She is no different than any other place on the earth. However, the difference between England and some other countries is that her government has felt she has nearly a divine supreme right to intervene in others' affairs, inflict terror on others and support hidden policies and covert schemes all the while proclaiming her steadfast and resolute commitment to freedom and liberty.

It is sad that people are unable, unwilling and unrepentant enough to see the universal principle that you reap what you sow. Karma does come back. You never know when, how or by what instrument. This applies to us individually and nationally. None are immune despite their protests of innocence. Even silence is a form of acceptance.

And let's not forget that we do not know who is responsible.

http://www.amazon.com/Debunking-11-Mechanics-Defenders-Conspiracy/dp/156656686X/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4501477-3274462?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183258898&sr=8-1
http://www.jonhs.net/911/
http://www.brasschecktv.com/

heytennis
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
England like a lot of places has endured years of conflict. She is no different than any other place on the earth. However, the difference between England and some other countries is that her government has felt she has nearly a divine supreme right to intervene in others' affairs, inflict terror on others and support hidden policies and covert schemes all the while proclaiming her steadfast and resolute commitment to freedom and liberty.

It is sad that people are unable, unwilling and unrepentant enough to see the universal principle that you reap what you sow. Karma does come back. You never know when, how or by what instrument. This applies to us individually and nationally. None are immune despite their protests of innocence. Even silence is a form of acceptance.

And let's not forget that we do not know who is responsible.

http://www.amazon.com/Debunking-11-Mechanics-Defenders-Conspiracy/dp/156656686X/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4501477-3274462?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183258898&sr=8-1
http://www.jonhs.net/911/
http://www.brasschecktv.com/

I can tell by your avatar that you are a conspiracy theorist. :lol:

Rolling-Thunder
Jul 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM
Oh one must not say such things...otherwise it sounds like you have been programmed too well. One must think for him/herself. And no I'm not a c.t. I'm me! Thank you very much.

PamShriverRockz
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM
I'd be very surprised if they cancelled Wimbledon. VERY surprised.

BestShooterEver
Jul 1st, 2007, 05:58 AM
Surely this is letting the terrorist do what they plan and terrorise.

unfortunately terrorists usually win :sad:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:02 AM
I'd be very surprised if they cancelled Wimbledon. VERY surprised.

Same here :wavey:

cosmoose
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:33 AM

I'm fairly certain its not the Buddhist terrorists. :p

TF Chipmunk
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:41 AM
That's stupid. The police said that the level has been raised since...I think...July last yr. The threat is constant throughout the yr, so if they cancel it now, they might as well cancel every sincel tournament for every single sport. This is pure panic.:worship:

Seriously, there will ALWAYS be a threat of terrorism, ANYWHERE you live. The government (both US and UK) and their stupid "terror level" systems is a huge joke. It's there to make people feel like the gov't can actually do something about the terrorists...and if anything, it's such a wrong course of action to take. Would the terrorists, then, not wait until the gov't drops the level lower to strike? Such a system implies that the government is not ALWAYS ready to protect its citizens, because only SOMETIMES it is raised to the "highest level"....

but honestly, part of what terrorists do is have the ability to strike at any time, any where. But are we supposed to let that take grip of us? No. Life has to go on...and if we are afraid to do things like hit a ball across a court or watch someone do that, then :o we're only letting the terrorists win.

A Magicman
Jul 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM
The Brits will never give in. They didn't give in to the German Air raids back then when even the Royal family stayed in London with its people and they will not give in to a car driving into an airport's terminal. The Brits are a very brave people, when it comes to that. And they know the value of freedom.

But we should not forget one thing though: Islam means peace. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slutiana
Jul 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM
u;If the drama of the UK being on high alert excites you so much that you feel compelled to produce a thread like this one based only on a grim worstcase senario all I can say is you must be one sick individual.

I told you..i just quoted what they were saying on MTF:rolleyes:

This isn't just an England thing. Their are people from all around the world and this country has to do everything to protect their safety.

Contrary to belief, when it's all said and done, people are gonna realize that Bush wasn't wrong in stating that we are gonna have to fight terrorism all around the world.

This is a RELIGIOUS WAR and the terrorist are fighting a JEHAD. It ain't no joke.

They are cowards and they strike where there are the most people and collateral damage.

How many hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world are in England now.

These crazy people will start a WW3 because it's people from every country on the globe in England, and they will retaliate back.

:worship:

If peoples lives are in danger I couldnt care less about a silly tennis tournament. Federer can live without the extra million in his bank account.

:worship: wow, i just agreed with reuchlin :lol: ;)

THANK YOU..That is what i have been trying too say

I'm fairly certain its not the Buddhist terrorists. :p

:lol: :tape:

The Brits will never give in. They didn't give in to the German Air raids back then when even the Royal family stayed in London with its people and they will not give in to a car driving into an airport's terminal. The Brits are a very brave people, when it comes to that. And they know the value of freedom.

But we should not forget one thing though: Islam means peace. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:help: :lol: :tape:

aussie_fan
Jul 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM
I can't see it happening. As a few people have said, it would be letting the terrorists win.

HTE
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:24 AM

Seriously you should stop watching FOX or whatever right-wing news you are being fed. You certainly have no idea what is going on in the world. "A religious war" is a absolute rubbish. All over the world people of all religions are living in peace. On the Wimbledon courts players from all over the world are fighting each other and couldn't care less what religion their opponent is.

What you are doing in that post is very close to terrorism: Spreading fear and hatred with no base in facts or reality.

**Jelica**
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM
I seriously doubt that anyone could get a bomb or other terrorist "device" anywhere near Wimbledon, with how high the security's gonna be.

SJW
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM
Seriously you should stop watching FOX or whatever right-wing news you are being fed. You certainly have no idea what is going on in the world. "A religious war" is a absolute rubbish. All over the world people of all religions are living in peace. On the Wimbledon courts players from all over the world are fighting each other and couldn't care less what religion their opponent is.

What you are doing in that post is very close to terrorism: Spreading fear and hatred with no base in facts or reality.

:worship:

And people, I am almost certain there have been no serious talks to even suggest cancelling Wimbledon. Well done CNN :worship: :rolleyes: