PDA

View Full Version : Here is some more info on Lindsay's WTT appearance

Lindsayfan32
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Here another article that I found on the LA times website about Lindsay's appearance for the Capitals on 21st July.

Baby gives Davenport satisfaction

By Lisa Dillman, Times Staff Writer
June 29, 2007

News: New mother Lindsay Davenport returns to organized tennis July 21 in Sacramento, coming back for the first time since giving birth to a son, Jagger, on June 10.

Reaction: Give the Laguna Beach resident another month and she could last into the second week at the U.S. Open.

Reality: This will be doubles only, and a World TeamTennis match at that. But those close to Davenport report she stayed in terrific shape during her pregnancy and think she remains top-five material.

Don't hold your breath for a true comeback.

Still, we can imagine this question at her first news conference: Why Jagger?

Matt Cronin of ******************** came up with a top 10 list of why Davenport and husband Jon Leach selected the name.

Among them:

Drew inspiration from other creative baby-naming tennis parents: Jaz (Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf), Manon (Michael Llodra), Djenae (Fabrice Santoro) and Elias Balthasar (Boris Becker).

He stuck his huge, wagging tongue out at Jon after dad caught him during the delivery.

Trivia time

When did Davenport first play singles in the main draw at Wimbledon, and how did she fare?

Trivia answer

In 1993. Davenport reached the third round, losing to Nathalie Tauziat of France. In 1999, Davenport won her lone Wimbledon singles title, beating Steffi Graf in the final.

auntie janie
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Mary Joe said they took the name from a character in a soap opera. I forget which soap opera.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Mary Joe said they took the name from a character in a soap opera. I forget which soap opera.

Please don't tell me it was the bold and the beautiful. :)

auntie janie
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Was there a handsome man named Jagger on the show some years ago? If so, that's probably it. :lol: Maybe Lindsay once had a big crush on that character. :D

Elske
Jun 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
general hospital?
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Antonio_Sab%C3%A0to_Jr.&redirect=no

hurricanejeanne
Jun 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I figured she'd only play doubles for WTT.
But from the few times we saw Lindsay during her pregnancy (Indian Wells, and the award show in April) she looked to be remarkable shape even though she was pretty far into her pregnancy.

:lol: At Jagger being named after a Soap character. Well, at least he can always say his mother is a tennis champion. :p

nflatte
Jun 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
"Don't hold your breath for a true comeback."

So does he imply that a comeback is impossible by 'not holding your breath' and thus one can forget about it, or is it possible since we are told not to be kept in the suspense of holding our breath?

Nikki
Jun 29th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I personally think that Lindsay will never play on the tour again but will play charity, exhibition & WTT matches but anything is better then nothing.

I can not see her travelling for the tour with a family now.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 30th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Lindsay playing a charity event wasn't that shocking, neither was her playing a WTT match but Martina started her comeback this way and Lindsay is still ranked inside the top 100 if a comeback wasn't on the cards why did Lindsay maintain ranking? We'll only truly know once an announcement is made. But I still don't want her to comeback but I will support Lindsay if she does.

Andrew..
Jun 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
But I still don't want her to comeback
Why.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM
Why.

It's this simple Lindsay has nothing left to prove, doesn't need the money, a shoe in of the hof five years after she officially retires and Lindsay's results were starting to slip, I want to remember her as a great champion not a fading star.

Having said that I will support her if she makes a comeback. :)

Dave.
Jul 1st, 2007, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry but all of this comeback talk is really making me want that Aussie Open doubles title now! (especially if Lindsay may come back to doubles exclusively). I still think that would be a possiblility for Lindsay:bounce:

Andrew..
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
It's this simple Lindsay has nothing left to prove, doesn't need the money, a shoe in of the hof five years after she officially retires and Lindsay's results were starting to slip, I want to remember her as a great champion not a fading star.

Having said that I will support her if she makes a comeback. :)
Saying that players have nothing left to prove is stupid. If that was the only reason for a player to keep playing, once they hit number one and win a couple of titles, they'd quit. Should Justine quit? She has nothing left to prove. Martina? Serena?

She retired still in the top ten. With less than ten tournaments. She can come back and have those results again. She went into New Haven last year after essentially being inactive for five months, and knocked off the number one player in the world. I'd personally like to see those displays again, and apparently she is still capable. So, why not.

The Daviator
Jul 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
^

Right, Lindsay has never been the type of player who would need weeks to get her form back, when she returned in the summer of 2002, having been out since November 2001, she reached the finals of LA and New Haven, when she came back after the surgery in 2003, she won Tokyo PPO and AI, she really needs no time, such is her game ;)

Seeing Hantuchova win IW, Golovin win AI and Jankovic win Charleston this year has been really frustrating, those are 3 titles Lindsay would have picked up, probably Tokyo PPO also, and she probably feels the same, I still doubt she'll comeback though ;)

Lindsayfan32
Jul 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Saying that players have nothing left to prove is stupid. If that was the only reason for a player to keep playing, once they hit number one and win a couple of titles, they'd quit. Should Justine quit? She has nothing left to prove. Martina? Serena?

She retired still in the top ten. With less than ten tournaments. She can come back and have those results again. She went into New Haven last year after essentially being inactive for five months, and knocked off the number one player in the world. I'd personally like to see those displays again, and apparently she is still capable. So, why not.

Nothing left to prove was a bad choice of words, I answered your question on the hop the first time. You have a point but I don't want Lindsay to remembered as a fading star that hung on way too long not saying that's the case right now. But her results were starting to slip she was beaten by players she once owned in her last two matches.

I want Lindsay to be remembered as the great champion not a fading star is what I'm trying to say. As I said before it in no danger of happening at the moment.

Also when Lindsay does things like this there is a lot of thought that goes into it so we know if she comes back it will be for the right reasons and a totally well thought out decision.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
^

Right, Lindsay has never been the type of player who would need weeks to get her form back, when she returned in the summer of 2002, having been out since November 2001, she reached the finals of LA and New Haven, when she came back after the surgery in 2003, she won Tokyo PPO and AI, she really needs no time, such is her game ;)

Seeing Hantuchova win IW, Golovin win AI and Jankovic win Charleston this year has been really frustrating, those are 3 titles Lindsay would have picked up, probably Tokyo PPO also, and she probably feels the same, I still doubt she'll comeback though ;)

I agree.
Indian Wells was painful. Hantuchova's a great player, but please, Lindsay would have won that tournament. And I adore Golovin, but Amelia Island is another one, and Tokyo would have also been up for grabs for Lindsay.
Lindsay's biggest problem when she returned to the tour after long breaks was really winning that big match (her finals losses in 2002).

I also agree with LF32 that if Lindsay decides to return she's weighed the pros and cons and knows she's still capable of producing top ten tennis.

I don't think she'll come back, but all this talk is certainly putting the idea in my head. I'd be over the moon if she did.

LindsayRulz
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:43 AM
I hope that if she comes back, she won't have the same attitude than at the 2006 fall. The Bali semi-final against Kuznetsova was really painful to watch. However, I'm so excited to think that maybe we'll see her at Wimbledon on center court. Or just to hear that perfect sound when she hits a ball :drool:

Lindsayfan
Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
who's jagger in the bold and the beautiful? can't remember this characther...

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
I want a comeback but only if she really wants another slam, if not, just play WTT.

Elldee
Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Lindsay will be too good a mother to come back on the tour. She needed to focus wholly on her tennis and even then she was beaten by the William sisters who like to flit in and out and get a slam or two. Simiarly, I think Corina is on her way out of the tour unless she can find a regular partner.

Andrew..
Jul 4th, 2007, 12:22 AM
You can be a mother and have a job.

Elldee
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM
yeah, but not THIS job. Especially with such a young child when you've got millions in the bank and no way of maintaining a high ranking.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Lindsay is a very smart, experienced woman and I feel that if she decides to comeback, she would have given it a lot of thought and make a good choice. She isn't going to rush into a comeback if that's what she wants to do, she's going to weigh out the pros and cons first.

Could she balance playing a decent schedule of something like 12 tournaments and her young family? I'm sure she could if she really wanted to.

But let's look forward to her WTT apperance and seeing how she does with this first. ;)

MH0861
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Lindsay will come back and win Wimbledon 08. She'll also take the doubles, teaming up with Jagger. Because she'll beat those bitches two-on-one. :)

Andrew..
Jul 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
yeah, but not THIS job. Especially with such a young child when you've got millions in the bank and no way of maintaining a high ranking.
Hire a traveling nanny and go. Bammer does it.

mike/topgun
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew..
Bammer's daughter is about 6 years old now, and she returned during fall of 2005...Lindsay's baby is like a month old now, so it's quite possible that it could too early to travel with him.:tape:
IMHO, there's no doubt that Lindsay could make a great comeback.
Wish the DESIRE for the 4th Grand Slam title was still in her.
We'll see in a few months time, I guess. Can't wait to see her pics from WTT.:D

Andrew..
Jul 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I took my first plane ride when I was six weeks old.

RayRob
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Not when the baby is 3 weeks old usually...my sister had a baby just 3 days before Lindsay had Jagger and she can barely get everything organised in time to go places. I would also assume that Lindsay isn't breast feeding given the fact that she is playing tennis in a couple of weeks.

I think it's good that she's still playing a bit of something...hopefully it will be aired online or via channelsurfing.net

Go Lindsay!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Not when the baby is 3 weeks old usually...my sister had a baby just 3 days before Lindsay had Jagger and she can barely get everything organised in time to go places. I would also assume that Lindsay isn't breast feeding given the fact that she is playing tennis in a couple of weeks.

I think it's good that she's still playing a bit of something...hopefully it will be aired online or via channelsurfing.net

Go Lindsay!

I wonder if we can finally see some niples on Lindsay outfit, lol!!! Its usually bigger after giving birth.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Bammer's daughter is about 6 years old now, and she returned during fall of 2005...Lindsay's baby is like a month old now, so it's quite possible that it could too early to travel with him.:tape:
IMHO, there's no doubt that Lindsay could make a great comeback.
Wish the DESIRE for the 4th Grand Slam title was still in her.
We'll see in a few months time, I guess. Can't wait to see her pics from WTT.:D

I couldn't see Lindsay leaving Jagger at home.

lindsayno1
Jul 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
yeah u can travel with a baby pretty soon after its born - paula radcliffe had her kid in monaco and was back in england within the blink of an eye!