PDA

View Full Version : A blessed event!

Linnie
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:31 PM
:eek: :sad: :D

From the FFT website:

Maman Testud draws her reverence
(05/07 - 10h30) - According to the daily newspaper the Team, Sandrine Testud would have put a term at her career. The Frenchwoman awaits a happy event...

The last match of simple disputed by Testud was thus its second turn in Wimbledon vis-a-vis Mary Pierce. For a few weeks, the wife of Vittorio Magnelli, who was also his trainer, had felt nauseas. Not at best physically, it had not particularly shone in Birmingham and Eastbourne, on grass.

In Wimbledon, its fixed price in double, eighth of finale (with its usual partner Roberta Vinci) had surprised. One thus knows some today. Obviously delighted by await a happy event, Sandrine was also moved to have had to precipitate her retirement thus. " My life of player is finished, finished well. I will not return on the circuit after the birth. "

At 30 years, Testud thus puts a term at 13 years a career long and filled well, in spite of pains repeated with the tendons of Achilles. Classified n°9 world in February and May 2000, it gained three titles, those of Palermo in 1997, Filderstadt (most beautiful) in 1998, and of Waikoloa in 2001. It also disputed two quarterfinal in Large Slam, with US Open in 1997 and Open of Australia in 1998, and taken part in six Masters. With the team of France, it of course took part in the conquest of the EDF Cup in 1997. This championne native of Lyon almost beat all the best players of the world, like Serena and Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati, Lindsay Davenport or Monica Seles.

Female French tennis thus loses one of its heads of file, after the retirements of Julie Halard-Decugis at the end of 2000 and Nathalie Tauziat at the end of 2001. Sandrine can leave the circuit with the smile. She now will be able to devote itself to another life which quite as happy and will be well filled...

(Guillaume Baraise)

Also from sports.fr:

Testud stops its career
05/07/2002 - the 12:54:00

Frenchwoman Sandrine Testud disputed her last tournament on the professional circuit in Wimbledon. Old of 30, N°2 Frenchwoman is pregnant of one month and half and thus from now on will concentrate on its family life. With the question of a possible return after its pregnancy, Testud answered that this stop was final and that one will not re-examine it any more on one tennis court.

OMG!!! On one hand I'm thrilled for her and her husband...but on the other, I'm sad that she won't be playing anymore. Best wishes for all! :D

Wojtek
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:42 PM
I hope she will be happy . She was great player .

GoSandrine
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting this Linnie. :wavey:

I guess the cat is now out of the bag. :angel:

GOD, I'LL MISS HER!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:56 PM
I'll miss her too, i first remember her in early 90's when she was playing in the Challengers in UK and won Swindon ( i think)

Hope she has a happy retirement

Ed you can become GoRoby ;)

GoSandrine
Jul 5th, 2002, 01:01 PM
lol.....I don't want to ditch Sandrine's name so quickly! :o ;)

I wonder if Vittorio will devote his full time to Roby now or take on another pupil? Will be interesting to see who she teams up with in dubs.

I hope Sandrine reconsiders and gets the fires burning again after the baby's born. :)

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 5th, 2002, 01:09 PM
:sad: I hope she has a happy retirement!! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 5th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Roby has teamed up with Els Callens for the next few months

the baby will be due after AUS Open

looking back at the Birmingham event she did seem to be going thru the motions and didn't really care that much, now it all makes sense

Hurley
Jul 5th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Congrats Sandrine! :D

I will miss her so much, but this is truly a happy day. Best of luck to her and Vittorio. :)

Scotso
Jul 5th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Good luck with the rest of your life Sandrine.

:sad: We'll miss you!

Zamboni
Jul 5th, 2002, 03:52 PM
I'll miss her, but hopefully she'll have a great life!!

rated_next
Jul 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Bye Sandrine :) :)

You truly have blessed us with so many years of great tennis. :)

Kaelin
Jul 5th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Bye goddess.
You were so pleasant to follow for many years.
Now,it will be a huge void,and I will be sad at least until Ed reconforts me in US open:sad::sad: :sad: :sad:

I know she likes my name,so may be the baby will be called Nicolas,if it's a boy:confused: :hearts:

shirley
Jul 5th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Congrats to Sandrine and Vittorio on their happy news

MLF
Jul 5th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Congratulations to Sandrine and her husband

Sorry for all us loyal Sandrine fans. I first saw Sandrine play in 1990 and over the course of the years she won my admiration and support for her competitive yet so sporting spirit. She also was one of the few players to show genuine warmth towards the fans. I've a lot of great memories for Sandrine ( so many heartbreaking losses ) and I wish she had broke through in just one grand slam at least but she's had a marvellous career and the tour will be poorer without her.

GABRIEL
Jul 5th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Well, what can I say ? I am speechless, sad and happy at the same time.....
I have followed Sandrine from the very begining of her career and I have always admired her game and her style in and out the court. I will miss her greatly, TENNIS will miss her greatly.
But I know this is what she wanted and she is happy, so this is ok, only a bit shocking. I hope Roberta can continue her growth and that Vittorio can still follow her and maybe somebody else like Flavia. I want Flavia and Roberta to play doubles together!!

Lindsayfan
Jul 5th, 2002, 11:02 PM
I'm speechless too,Gabriele.i'm very very sad,i'll be missing Sandrine,but i wish her all the best for the rest of her life.
U'll be always in my heart,Sandrine! ;)

motta
Jul 6th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Congrats Sandrine!I will miss you but i'm happy for that blessed moment of your life. I wish you all the best.:angel:

Leo7
Jul 6th, 2002, 03:36 AM
CONGRATS, Sandrine! i'm sure she'll be a great mother!;)

i'll miss her tho. she was always important on the tour for beating the new #1 players (i.e. Jenny, Venus). too bad she had to retire before she could get a shot at Serena!lol!

saby
Jul 6th, 2002, 08:36 AM
WE WILL MISS YOU GIRL

:wavey: HAPPY END :wavey:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

TS
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Sorry Im late guys...but Ive been away...and I just cant let this slide without saying my bit :sad:

Sandrine, you were one of my absolute favorites and I will miss you terribly :sad:

However, Im very happy for this new chapter in her life and Im sure she will make a fantastic mother :)

Allez and thanks for the memories girl :)

p.s - Thanks to Ed, Jerome, Scott and Nicolas (and all other Sandrine fans of course) for some great memories in scoring threads past ;) I'll miss that :sad:

GoSandrine
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:14 PM
GROUP HUG!!!

I love you guys... :sad: :kiss: :sad: :kiss: :sad:

Kaelin
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:33 PM
I love you too Ed;) :kiss:
I love all Sandrine's marines!Hope we'll have fun elsewhere:D

GoSandrine
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:28 PM
But I don't want to leave! :sad:

at least not until the baby's born - then we can all move into a more spacious forum. ;)

Kaelin
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Hey boys,where are you:confused: ;) :)

fammmmedspin
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:49 PM
As you will note, I don't post normally - but Sandrine is worth an exception.

I am going to miss Sandrine enormously - she's a great player in every true sense of the word. She's been a great supporter of the tour from Hawaii to Dubai to sunny Eastbourne. She's always looked the consummate professional and you didn't have to meet her to realise that Sandrine was one of the nicest people on the tour. In the post-Graf era Sandrine emerged as one of the few who could really challenge and beat the top five - more of a threat than many players ranked higher than her. She scores very highly on my ultimate test which is when you abandon the seat you have bought and buy one for another court because you just know the player there is going to be more exciting to watch. Even when she didn't beat the top five she usually managed to push them to excel - remember those battles with Martina? Sandrine brought uncertainty, flair and excitement to the sport - watching the Eurosport coverage of her matches its amazing how many times you hear the commentators on her matches use the word brilliant. Just hoped she would do a Tauziat and go on for a few more years or decades...

Now, though, she has retired. But what a good way to retire in such happy circumstances. A happy event rather than injury as the reason and she retires as the French number one, and as a Top Ten player. I hope she finds continuing happiness in whatever she does next. I also hope she isn't too bashful about her career. As a look at the Tennis-Corner head to head records makes clear, she has an amazing list of scalps to her name. I hope one day she takes her children or grandchildren to the Women’s Tennis Hall of Fame. I can see them looking at Shriver, Zvereva, Sanchez Viccario, Seles, Davenport, Capriati, Serena and Venus as Sandrine points out quietly she beat all of them.

Thanks Sandrine.

:)