PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Year So Far

PatrickRyan
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:39 AM
how would you rate it?
1 being worst, 10 being best

PatrickRyan
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I would say 8, the clay season brought it down.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 11th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I'd say 8 as well...the clay and missing 2 tournies but other than that it's been great with the 2 of the 3 biggest titles and managing to stay healthy so far all year

Donatello
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM
lol, weird, al three of us voted the same.

serenaforever
Jun 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM
lol, weird, al three of us voted the same.

Make it four. I also voted 8. She's healthy and playing tennis again, plus she's won a GS and she won the year's biggest Tier I. But, the clay court season was less than memorable, so that brings it down to an 8.

Olórin
Jun 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hopefully after Wimbledon it will go up to nine :)

serenaforever
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Hopefully after Wimbledon it will go up to nine :)

Hopefully after Wimbledon it will go up to 10. :D

Craigy
Jun 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM
7/10.
Injuries, limited schedule and clay loses bring it down.

alex.stef
Jun 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
9 because she won AO and Miami and this is no way nothing; she also made it through QF at RG, but she had a bad spring clay season; she climbed up almost 100 places in the rankings in only 5 months and now she is in Top 10 and she was #1 in the Race for some months and now is #5
overall, i see it as a 9
if she would have won at least 1 additional tournament and made it at least final in RG then it would have been a perfect 10

doni1212
Jun 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
7/10 b/c she was amazing in Australia and Miami, but the clay season brought it down. I would say 8/10 if she would have tried more in the QF's of the FO.

Lulu.
Jun 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I'd say 8/10

The clay season :o

:inlove:
Jun 11th, 2007, 10:05 PM
6/10 Didn't play enough, bad clay season. Might have been 5/10 if she hadn't played so magnificently in the AO final.

starin
Jun 11th, 2007, 11:06 PM
for most players on tour it would be 10/10.
But for Serena its a 7/10 so far. Cuz she's been very dominant before.
But compared to her performances from post AO 2005-Hobart 2006 its a 10/10.

-VSR-
Jun 12th, 2007, 03:30 AM
7/10

Injury/loss in Charleston, horrible loss to Justine, and missing Dubai. :sad:

But winning AusOpen, Miami and moving to #7 in the rankings! :yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
6/10

Injured and missed Bangalore/Dubai
Injured in Charleston
Tie-Break loss to Patty
No fight at ALL in Justine loss

b_o_r
Jun 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
6.5/10
Lack of consistent schedule and play
If she completes 80% of her summer schedule, I'll bump her up to a 9

alex.stef
Jun 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
sry for expressing my opinion, but i think you're way to harsh, guys. i mean, she won AO and Miami and she deserves for this 3 6s? HELLO!!!
then henin should have a 4 cause her only big title is RG. and sharapova? a... 2? but what about jankovic?! don't tell me a 10 only because she had some semifinals and won a couple of tournaments...
i'm amazed of this grades :(
corect me if i'm wrong

aisha
Jun 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM
9.5/10

She's exceeded all my expectations. :hearts:

starin
Jun 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM
sry for expressing my opinion, but i think you're way to harsh, guys. i mean, she won AO and Miami and she deserves for this 3 6s? HELLO!!!
then henin should have a 4 cause her only big title is RG. and sharapova? a... 2? but what about jankovic?! don't tell me a 10 only because she had some semifinals and won a couple of tournaments...
i'm amazed of this grades :(
corect me if i'm wrong

i think people are giving her low ranknigs cuz:
A.) She could be fitter and her movement is still not close to where it used to be

B.) She has barely played

C.) She lost to Justine in straights @ RG (Which isn't that suprising seeing how little Serena's played on clay in the last 3 years). People are upset about that and its the most recent so it sticks out in your mind the most

D.) Its SERENA WILLIAMS!! she can and should dominate the tour and so her fans hold her to a higher standard.

serenaforever
Jun 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
i think people are giving her low ranknigs cuz:
A.) She could be fitter and her movement is still not close to where it used to be

B.) She has barely played

C.) She lost to Justine in straights @ RG (Which isn't that suprising seeing how little Serena's played on clay in the last 3 years). People are upset about that and its the most recent so it sticks out in your mind the most

D.) Its SERENA WILLIAMS!! she can and should dominate the tour and so her fans hold her to a higher standard.

Manatee is right. Rena's fans expect her to dominate the tour, therefore they are unhappy with recent results. She isn't playing on a regular basis. Also, people are upset over the loss to Justine. I agree with Manatee completely.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I think expectations could be a bit too high now...yes she can dominate, yes she can win almost everything she plays, but now she has to play more cautiously than she did throughout her dominating years....now she has a knee to consider and anything else that may give any amount of pain...even the slightest pain since she doesn't want to risk anything happening like the last two seasons....I'd prefer a slower that 02 who now thinks about which balls she will chase and which she won't....I don't think she's as slow as some might think but as I said I think she's more cautious so imo her movement will never be where it used to be in terms of being able to motor down every ball but in Miami her movement improved and also on the clay there was improvement from Miami...I wanted her to win RG too but I am also realistic that way I'm only truly disappointed if neither happens...I expect her to win everything but realistically everyone has their off days and you lose some matches....and yes she could play more like playing Bangalore and Dubai like she said she would but when she did play she did well except for 1 withdrawal and even after pulling out with injury she went to play fed cup as she promised, withdrew from Berlin but played Rome and did reasonably well after a couple years missing and went to the quarters of RG without the easiest draw so I think she deserves more than a 6 imo especially when compared to last season and the season before...a 7 maybe but a 6 is too low given what she has accomplished this year when she did step on the court....but hey that is just imo :shrug: