PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Qualies report

Pdm1987
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ok, so i went today to the wonderful Edgbaston Priory Club, the weather was lovely and the tennis wasn't too bad either ;)

Andreja Klepac def. Amanda Keen

I tell you I was about to walk away from this match Amanda was so bad, and Klepac was not much better. It was truly awful. Amanda must have thought the same. Have no idea why she retired, she lost the first set, sat down and retired. Maybe it was a cold or hayfever as she was sniffing as she walked onto court.

Sarah Borwell def Katie O'Brien
Battle of the serves really. Any chance of a rally would be ended by an error in most cases. Sarah looks really thin but no sign of any injury. Hooray!

Meng Yuan def Jade Curtis
Well done to Jade for putting up a good showing here. I really was impressed by her. Blistering forehand, good movement around the court and likes to go to the net. Backhand a bit suspect, and both players not keen to hold serve. Glad Jade got a wildcard as she put up a god fight in a long match.

Yuliana Fedak def. Amanda Elliott
I am now a big fan of Amanda. She is like Magui Serna, walks like Magui and plays very similar to Magui. I think she's great. Big forehand and not afraid to come to the net. Shame she made one to many errors, but like Jade glad she was given the chance.

Olga Govortsova def. Karen Paterson
Arrrrgggghhhhhh! Oh my good god! Arrrrggggghhhhh. Karen you led 64 *43 and then everything went downhill. She played such fantastic tennis throughout the match, i was extremely impressed as I always am with Karen, then I think she must have got nervous or something cos her level of play went down from there. She did take an injury time out at the end of the 2nd.

Lilia Osterloh def. Anna Fitzpatrick
I've never been a fan of Lilia and I am even less of one now. Anna came from behind to win the first set, and was 1-4 in the 2nd, and even though she was clearly in control with no problems she took an injury time out and was away from court for about 15 minutes. She walked off, and came back looking no different. There was absolutely no need as this injury clearly had no affect on her play and she still won the 2nd set. Then in the 3rd set it was Anna's turn for the injury time out, but unfortunately she couldn't get back in the match.

Anna Smith was also injured and had to have heavy strapping on her thigh mid-way through the 1st set after she had 2 breakpoints on one of Yan's service games.

Players impressed with; Jade Curtis, Amanda Elliott, Anna Fitzpatrick
Players not so impressed with; Amanda Keen (not an obvious injury but if it's serious I of course give her the benefit of the doubt), Katie O'brien (no need for all the screaming and recquet throwing)

Good Luck to Mel & Sarah tomorrow, I'll be there again!

Highlandman
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Nice report , thanks a lot :yeah: :bounce:

Yes, it seems Anna has really talent :D - with seeing her results I would say she should try to be more consistant ;) - but after bad start in season she played much better in last weeks :) . Maybe she is a good hope for British-future in tennis:D (With this birthday-date she should have success:p ;) )

Have fun tomorrow again :)

RND
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks a lot. :) Didn't you catch any part of Chuang-South?

tennisbuddy12
Jun 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM
wasnt jade that like 10 year old on 'girls on tour', the wta documentry

Petkorazzi
Jun 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Nice Report :yeah: Smith Didnt deserve a WC.. She lost to one of my Faves, Kvatsabaia last week, and she is out of top 1000!!!

alwayshingis
Jun 9th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Glad to hear good news about Jade :D :D

Hopefully she will be given an opportunity in the Wimbledon Q Draw.

DrPerdita
Jun 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hi Pdm, I was there today too. Like you, very impressed with Fitzpatrick and Elliot, less so with Lilia Osterloh! Mel South played a good match too, very aggressive and serving really well. Only caught the second set of Jade's match. Did she play better in the first? I thought she looked really off in the second - serving well but mistiming the ball off the ground. Wish I could go back tomorrow but sadly not there now 'til next Saturday :(

WIMBY
Jun 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Mel South played a good match too, very aggressive and serving really well.

Many thanks for this report, nice to hear. Did anyone take any photos? Is there a doubles qualifying draw?

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Amanda Janes was told before she played to not play as she had a chest infection.

Karen Paterson got a shoulder strain in 2nd set.
Anna Fitzpatrick was visibly hobbling after every pt from middle of 2nd set on and she took her injury timeout too late, not that it would have made a diff.

Jade Curtis did well but thats cos Meng is pretty useless on grass, and had Jade been a bit taller, more experience she'd have won easy.

i took some clips on my camera..... uploading them.

ghosts
Jun 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Drake1980
Jun 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Thank you!!!!:)
Sarah :bounce:
Karen:sad: