PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Magazine Wimbledon Predictions

SerenaSlams
Jun 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Women's Wimbledon Predictions
Tennis Magazine July 2007 (Andy Murray on cover)

Justine Henin

Henin has the game for grass - she's agile, can strike quickly, and loves to attack. But she's come up short at Wimbledon, losing two three-set finals. The fragile Belgian has trouble transitioning from clay to grass courts, so she could be vulnerable early. In the second week, she may have to face Serena Williams, who has an even better game for the turf.

2007 Prediciton: Runner-Up

Maria Sharapova

Sharapova returns to the scene of her 2004 breakthrough title. Since then, she's had her ups - consistency at majors and a second Slam title, at the US Open - and downs - destruction at the hands of Serena Williams in Melbourne and a case of Russian double-fault disease. A trip to her beloved All England Club couldn't come any sooner.

2007 Prediction: Semifinals

Amelie Mauresmo

The defending champion has the best hands and net game among the women, giving her an immediate advantage over her rivals on grass. The lawns of England seem to give her a boost after her yearly struggles at home at the French Open. Mauresmo's athleticism alone should take her deep into the second week.

2007 Predicition: Semifinals

Serena Williams

While Serena didn't play last year and lost in the third round in 2005, its tough to argue with her 33-5 record and two titles at Wimbledon. She's got all the tools for grass: a strong serve, penetrating strokes, terrific speed, and a shot-maker's mentality. She also beat two of her chief rivals, Justine Henin and Maria Sharapova, earlier this year.

2007 Prediction: CHAMPION

Svetlana Kuznetsova

The flaky Russian should be a natural at Wimbledon. She's a big-event player, having won the U.S. Open and reached the final of Roland Garros. And she's a power hitter who plays on top of the baseline. But like Henin, Kuznetsova has trouble making the move from clay to grass and has lost in the first week two out of the last three years.

2007 Prediction: Quarterfinals

Nicole Vaidisova

Vaidisova's penetrating strokes, heavy serve, and attack-first mentality are the stuff of Wimbledon Champions. Her goal is to win there but with veterans like Henin and Serena Williams still in top form, she should be happy to reach the semis. She made the fourth round last year, but the 18-year old still needs more Centre Court seasoning.

Venus Williams

Can Venus match her sister Serena's resurgence? Don't forget that big sis had one of her own on Centre Court two years ago, when she shocked the world by winning the title. Venus began 2007 slowly, but there were signs of life in the spring. If she has enough match play heading into the tournament, she could be tough to stop.

Jelena Jankovic

The Serb upset Venus Williams at Wimbledon to kick-start an outstanding second half of 2006. That surge continued through the spring when Jankovic won her first Tier I event at Charleston in April. Her mix of power and mobility will continue to serve her well at Wimbledon as long as she can avoid the mental meltdowns that have plagued her in the past.

2007 Predicition: Quarterfinals

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:

PatrickRyan
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds good :yeah:

serenaforever
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:32 PM
They picked Serena to win? Can't argue with that.

StarDuvallGrant
Jun 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I believe Serena will win. I just think she's on a roll and this is another run on the right surface for her and she's more importantly healthy, fitter, and mentally present. Her opponent I believe is a different story but no matter who she beats, I'm fine with another championship win.

Donatello
Jun 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I don't agree on Serena being the favorite. Mauresmo should be, being the defending champion. It's not a good starting point being the favorite. I can just imagine how the media will use this.

PatrickRyan
Jun 10th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I don't agree on Serena being the favorite. Mauresmo should be, being the defending champion. It's not a good starting point being the favorite. I can just imagine how the media will use this.

She's just coming back from injury. And the way Serena is playing she should be the favorite.

alex.stef
Jun 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
may God fulfill this predictions and listen to her fans's prayers. Amin
thank you very much for posting this
:)

serenaforever
Jun 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Serena should do very well in London. She definately has the game for grass. She's fit, mentally strong, and she has a fighting spirit. She should get fasntastic results at Wimbledon.

serenaforever
Jun 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Maria Sharapova

Sharapova returns to the scene of her 2004 breakthrough title. Since then, she's had her ups - consistency at majors and a second Slam title, at the US Open - and downs - destruction at the hands of Serena Williams in Melbourne and a case of Russian double-fault disease. A trip to her beloved All England Club couldn't come any sooner.

LOL :lol:

Lulu.
Jun 10th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Looks good :)

starin
Jun 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I hope Serena can win but anythign can happen between now and the title.

serenaforever
Jun 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm hoping for an All-Williams final, with Serena winning a classic three-setter.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
So am I actually....but I'm just happy she is playing there again...last year was snoresville since they weren't there in the latter rounds but this year she's a shoe in to at least make the finals but I'm surprised they chose her...everyone usually chooses JH and/or MaSha

serenaforever
Jun 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
So am I actually....but I'm just happy she is playing there again...last year was snoresville since they weren't there in the latter rounds but this year she's a shoe in to at least make the finals but I'm surprised they chose her...everyone usually chooses JH and/or MaSha

Yeah, even after this year's AO, a lot of people still aren't giving Serena a chance.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 12th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think it keeps her fire burning to prove all the doubters wrong....I dunno what she has to do to make people believe her...I guess this makes it better...so when she does win the victory does taste sweeter to me :D

serenaforever
Jun 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I think it keeps her fire burning to prove all the doubters wrong....I dunno what she has to do to make people believe her...I guess this makes it better...so when she does win the victory does taste sweeter to me :D

Serena proved that in Melbourne.

SunriseSunset
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM

It's best if she just focuses on being herself. When you start trying to prove people wrong, then they sort of have control over you.

Maybe people will never believe in her...she's made her mark in history already, so who cares.:)

serenaforever
Jun 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
It's best if she just focuses on being herself. When you start trying to prove people wrong, then they sort of have control over you.

Maybe people will never believe in her...she's made her mark in history already, so who cares.:)

Ummmmm.....
I do! Just because Serena has already won 8 Slams doesn't mean I want her to retire. I want her to keep on winning those GS, one after another.

SunriseSunset
Jun 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Ummmmm.....
I do! Just because Serena has already won 8 Slams doesn't mean I want her to retire. I want her to keep on winning those GS, one after another.

Who mentioned retiring?:confused: She doesn't worry about the haters bringing negative energy, but I guess someone has to, so it's you.:)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Who mentioned retiring?:confused: She doesn't worry about the haters bringing negative energy, but I guess someone has to, so it's you.:)

but it was Serena herself who said that's what she loved to do...prove haters wrong...she never said she was obsessed with them just that she loves proving them wrong....why make such a sarcastic comment to your fellow fan? :confused:

sweetpeas
Jun 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Mauresmo should be, being the defending champion. It's not a good starting point being the favorite. I can just imagine how the media will use this.

So true. I hate when they do that? I like it,when the sleep on VENUS AND SERENA?