PDA

View Full Version : Question about reported post....

Pureracket
Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
....could you please tell me what action (other than the closed thread) was taken with the poster of this post: http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=1...5&postcount=37 (http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10882195&postcount=37) ?

Thanks.

Kart
Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry Pureracket but I won't discuss another poster's account or any actions taken against them in the open forum without their permission.

Pureracket
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry Pureracket but I won't discuss another poster's account or any actions taken against them in the open forum without their permission.That's fine, then can you tell me why the entire thread has been deleted, then?

Kart
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I understand that it generated further complaints even after it was locked and the decision was made to remove it.

I hope that answers your question.

Pureracket
Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I understand that it generated further complaints even after it was locked and the decision was made to remove it.

I hope that answers your question.Yeah, it did. Thanks. Seriously.

Another question for clarity, though. Many of us are not sure whether or not the statements of that nature are allowable or not. We're not sure whether the thread was closed based on the complaints whether it was the nature of the post. I'm not sure if you were the mod/admin directly involved, but could you please tell me exactly why it was closed?

My question is based on the fact that, if the nature of the post was not a problem, then some of us will know what is or is not acceptable to post on this forum.

Thanks, for the responses, Kart.

Kart
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, I've read the unpleasant exchanges in non-tennis theorising about why the thread was locked.

The thread was closed because the fighting between several posters had derailed it off topic - though the topic itself was certainly an invitation for conflict in itself and may well have eventually been closed anyway.

That specific post itself would not have led to thread closure - if complaints alone had been received about it, it would certainly have been a candidate for removal given its potentially inflammatory nature.

Unfortunately, by the time that the thread had been drawn to the attention of the administration, posters had taken matters into their own hands and the fighting had already started so there were fewer options.

Regarding that specific post and its acceptability it is a difficult question for me to answer. It was open to interpretation which makes it difficult to act on or speculate on the motives behind it without some more tangible evidence. As I said, it certainly would have been considered for deletion if clear reasons were provided when it was reported but if no one had complained about it, it may well have been left to just fade away.

What I would add is that once the fighting starts, it's hard to single out individuals as blameless. Which leads to the options of acting against all or none of the posters involved if action is indicated. Which is one of the reasons why we encourage posters to use their ignore lists and reports posts rather than get into repeated fights.

I hope this answers all your above questions.

Pureracket
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Yes, I've read the unpleasant exchanges in non-tennis theorising about why the thread was locked.

The thread was closed because the fighting between several posters had derailed it off topic - though the topic itself was certainly an invitation for conflict in itself and may well have eventually been closed anyway.

That specific post itself would not have led to thread closure - if complaints alone had been received about it, it would certainly have been a candidate for removal given its potentially inflammatory nature.

Unfortunately, by the time that the thread had been drawn to the attention of the administration, posters had taken matters into their own hands and the fighting had already started so there were fewer options.

Regarding that specific post and its acceptability it is a difficult question for me to answer. It was open to interpretation which makes it difficult to act on or speculate on the motives behind it without some more tangible evidence. As I said, it certainly would have been considered for deletion if clear reasons were provided when it was reported but if no one had complained about it, it may well have been left to just fade away.

What I would add is that once the fighting starts, it's hard to single out individuals as blameless. Which leads to the options of acting against all or none of the posters involved if action is indicated. Which is one of the reasons why we encourage posters to use their ignore lists and reports posts rather than get into repeated fights.

I hope this answers all your above questions.You did, and I appreciate it. What I've taken from this exchange from you is that, regardless of the incindiary nature, my post could possibly close an entire thread or even have it removed; however, a post of a similar nature and tone does not necessarily merit being banned, especially without substantial complaint.

Is this correct?

Kart
Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
It's not correct and that's certainly not what I'd hope to have you take from this exchange.

Still, if there's that much of a gulf of misunderstanding between us there seems little point in continuing this discussion.

For the record, I've replied primarily out of the general respect I have for you and tried my best to give you a few answers.

How you choose to receive those answers remains your choice :).