PDA

View Full Version : @Steve: Copyright of the tennis-pictures (wtnphotos.com)

wta_peep
May 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I wanted to tell you that i've heard some rumours that two large picture-agencies (one which is especially into sports) is planning to sue websites using their copyrighted pictures. (I work in a media-agency, so it's easy for me to hear such news) This time they don't just talk about friendly asking the websites to take their pictures offline (like Getty did). This time they seem to want money for the usage over the past 12 months.

I just wanted to ask if this website is really that rich that you could afford a legal issue with them. I mean i don't know any other sports-website with so many copyrighted sports-pictures... So i guess you could be the first address for an exemplary judgement...

Steve
May 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Rules state that copyright images are not allowed. I delete alot of images as I can. I know there are quite a few kicking around and continue to delete as I see them.

wta_peep
May 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I guess the problem is that rules are not enough, since the law says that the owner is responsible for the content... And there are even getty-pictures online... For example: (http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/500/full_getty-71303725dm206_wimbledon_cha_12_54_48_pm.jpg)

I think from the ~60.000 pictures there are at least 30.000 are copyrighted by agencies... (Nearly all of the real good closeup-views are shot by professional photographers who sold them to agencies)

How could you ever delete all copyrighted pictures if theres not even any kind of copyright sign on it?

I mean of course it's not my business, but i guess that could be a real and expensive problem in the future...