PDA

View Full Version : Why does Serena does have these kind of losses on clay?

Olórin
May 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
On clay she seems to lose more of these tight matches than on other surfaces.

Why?

She's lost them to Patty twice, Justin in Berlin and at RG, Mauresmo at Rome in 03 and the RG QFs with Capriati.

Is it quite simply her not being good enough on the day, lack of match practice (as she seems to need more matches on clay to play her best), or is she just unlucky in these instances?

Im quite worried about RG, I hope we don't have another 04 or 03 heart breaker loss :sad:

starin
May 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
On clay she seems to lose more of these tight matches than on other surfaces.

Why?

She's lost them to Patty twice, Justin in Berlin and at RG, Mauresmo at Rome in 03 and the RG QFs with Capriati.

Is it quite simply her not being good enough on the day, lack of match practice (as she seems to need more matches on clay to play her best), or is she just unlucky in these instances?

Im quite worried about RG, I hope we don't have another 04 or 03 heart breaker loss :sad:

well i'm not sure she'll win the FO. I'm just worried about Wimbledon. I hope she can win Wimbledon. The reason she has bad losses on clay is simply that clay nullifies all her weapons. Clay court tennis is about variety and the ability to grind your opponent down (and since no woman player can really do that on a consistent basis) its about shot selection. Serena is so good that she can overcome the disadvantages of slow clay courts but still she'll always be vulnerable on clay. And with her movement still not being as good as it was she becomes even more vulnerable. But at least she got a few matches on the stuff. And she looked pretty good at times during her first two matches.

Olórin
May 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
well i'm not sure she'll win the FO. I'm just worried about Wimbledon. I hope she can win Wimbledon. The reason she has bad losses on clay is simply that clay nullifies all her weapons. Clay court tennis is about variety and the ability to grind your opponent down (and since no woman player can really do that on a consistent basis) its about shot selection. Serena is so good that she can overcome the disadvantages of slow clay courts but still she'll always be vulnerable on clay. And with her movement still not being as good as it was she becomes even more vulnerable. But at least she got a few matches on the stuff. And she looked pretty good at times during her first two matches.

True I suppose it is that simple. She's more vulnerable on clay and needs to be at her best to win. Which she wasn't today :(

I think it was her serve and errors that let her down today though, not her movment or variety.

If only those errors had been winners *sigh*

harloo
May 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Serena Fan, let's be honest. Serena only needs 7 good rounds at the French, the type of draw she gets could determine whether she has a legitimate chance to win. It's going to be tough against a player like Patty because she's a lefty and they trouble Serena, plus the spins and loopy shots on this surface from her opponents give them a better chance against her. Clay is the greatest equalizer so Serena has to rely on her fighting abilities to get through close matches on clay. Her game is suited for Grass and especially Hard, but I believe she is capable of winning the FO again.

Donatello
May 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
but wait, have you compared the match against peer to this last match.: two different serena's . What the hell was she doing that 3rd set? tired? sick? Maybe she wanted to go to Istanbul early to see V, I dunno. Maybe she isn't fit enough for 3-setters (yet). Don't forget she'll never give up if she feels sick or whatever so we'll never know.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
hopefully she improves what she needs to improve for the FO...I agree that I won't be able to take another heartbreaking loss at RG....but her movement needs improvement to really avoid these losses and cut down on the errors....and her serve must always be clicking!! her 2nd serve was nearly non existant but once those things are worked out after a couple more matches in the opening rounds of RG she should be good to go :D

serenafan08
May 24th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Clay is the equalizing surface. Defense will beat offense when you play on a clay court. It doesn't matter how hard Serena hits the ball - if her opponent can get them back, it spells trouble for Serena. That's what happened against Patty, Capriati, Henin, Mauresmo and everybody else that's beaten her on clay. They just get the ball back and let her make the errors. If Serena can figure out a way to withstand her own impatience, she can win a lot of matches on clay. She can't pull the trigger too early on clay.