PDA

View Full Version : Is Lindsay planning a comeback

Lindsayfan32
May 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Found this article in on the baseline. Would like to know what people think. Its not meant to get people's hopes up but I thought I would share it with you all.

Is Lindsay Davenport Planning To Stage a Tennis Comeback? (http://www.onthebaseline.com/2007/05/16/is-lindsay-davenport-planning-to-stage-a-tennis-comeback/)

Is Lindsay Davenport already considering a comeback to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour?

She could be, or at least that may be one of many reasons why she told Pilot Pen tournament director Ann Worcester that she would like to come back to her tournament. Davenport, who is scheduled to give birth to her first child next month, has not yet made her retirement official and is still on the WTA rankings.
Even though this still makes her eligible to compete, she has said that she does not plan on playing professionally again.
“I hate the word ‘retirement,’ ” said Davenport in an interview with ESPN after announcing her decision to hang up her racquet. “But this season was such a struggle physically for me, and I can’t imagine playing again.”
That was generally accepted to mean “I’m quitting for good”, at least until today.
Ann Worcester, the tournament director of the joint ATP/WTA Pilot Pen tennis tournament in New Haven, was quoted in the Connecticut Post saying that she had received a cryptic email from Davenport about her future plans.
“She copied me on an e-mail she sent (former Pilot Pen CEO) Ron Shaw, congratulating him on his retirement. She threw a zinger in there, ‘I hope to see you next year if I come back,’ ” Worcester said in the Connecticut Post Online (http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_5905078). “I thought that was out of the question. I’d love to see her back next year. I don’t think she’s made any commitments either way.”
For what my opinion is worth, I do not think we will see Lindsay stage a professional comeback, especially not this soon.
From all accounts, she is blissfully happy off the Tour and waiting to begin her new life as a mother. Her reference to coming back to Pilot Pen was probably meant more in the role as a fan to help promote the tournament.
Personally, I would love to see her take a more active participation in the summer hard-court US Open Series. ESPN could definitely use some new blood in the broadcasting booth.

LindsayRulz
May 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
She could maybe possibly play in double with Corina but I don't see Lindsay playing single in NH :shrug:

lindsayno1
May 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Hew Naven round 1: Maria Sharapova def Lindsay Davenport 62 60

Sammy 4 eva!!!
May 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Nah I dont think so but I would like it if she did

Dave.
May 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Lindsay please come back!! Even if it was just for doubles..anything would do:sad:

blumaroo
May 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Probably for promotion purposes or just to watch the tournament.
I would love it if she decided to play in singles. We didn't get a last tournament for closure. When players like Anna C, Dinara Safina and Hantuchova are in or near the top 10, with a month training she could do reasonably well. But that's just wishful thinking :( SHe won't come back.

Lindsayfan32
May 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I hope she doesn't in singles. Doubles with Corina would be fun to watch. I don't want to make a singles comeback because I feel she was starting to fade at the end of 06 and I want Lindsay to be remembered as a great champion not a fading star that hung on too long. But if she did decide to make a come I would still support her in it.

hurricanejeanne
May 18th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I hope she doesn't in singles. Doubles with Corina would be fun to watch. I don't want to make a singles comeback because I feel she was starting to fade at the end of 06 and I want Lindsay to be remembered as a great champion not a fading star that hung on too long. But if she did decide to make a come I would still support her in it.

That's my biggest fear if she were to come back, her to lose to someone she should beat, reguardless of the rankings. I don't want the next generation of tennis fans to see Lindsay as a fading star way past her prime.
I don't think she would come back, but I'd be over the moon if she did, we never really had proper closure, and it would be nice. Nevertheless, a comeback singles or doubles if she were to have one, I would support her as always. She'll always have a fan in me.

But more importantly, she has a baby to deliver in the next 3-4 weeks (that 9 months went by fast) and I look forward to the birth of "Babyport". ;)

Lindsayfan32
May 18th, 2007, 05:23 AM
That's my biggest fear if she were to come back, her to lose to someone she should beat, reguardless of the rankings. I don't want the next generation of tennis fans to see Lindsay as a fading star way past her prime.
I don't think she would come back, but I'd be over the moon if she did, we never really had proper closure, and it would be nice. Nevertheless, a comeback singles or doubles if she were to have one, I would support her as always. She'll always have a fan in me.

But more importantly, she has a baby to deliver in the next 3-4 weeks (that 9 months went by fast) and I look forward to the birth of "Babyport". ;)

Are we going to start taking bets on the sex of babyport. Love the nick name by the way.