PDA

View Full Version : PM Storage Space

Chris 84
May 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I would appreciate it if Steve or some mod who knows the answer to my question can explain to me exactly why our PM storage space will be reduced by such a large amount?

Space for only 50 PMs will make the running of several forum games very difficult (if not impossible for some people) and the thought of losing PMs that I have kept for over a year really pisses me off quite a lot. Sure, they can be downloaded to the comp, etc, but it really isn't the same thing.

While I'm asking questions, could somebody please enlighten me as to why mods become premium members without having to pay? I'm not having a go at mods at all, and some people who I like a lot are mods themselves, but what is the thinking behind that? I would say that they are the people most likely to want to put money towards the forum. They are already making a commitment to the forum by being mods, so surely charging them for premium membership would be a sure-fire way of making more money for the site?

gumoll
May 16th, 2007, 01:56 AM
my God

I was thinking the same about running games f.e. Tennis Tipping and about premium membership for all mods

:)

Tennace
May 16th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Has this changed, because I dont have any memberships and I still have 1305 PMs in my inbox/sent items.

Should I delete the ones I dont need so others that are more important dont get deleted?

Martian Stacey
May 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Mods and admins get premium member status because they already support the site through the work they do. Sort of like a reward for the time and effort we put in to maintaining the site

Avid Merrion
May 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Has this changed, because I dont have any memberships and I still have 1305 PMs in my inbox/sent items.

Should I delete the ones I dont need so others that are more important dont get deleted?

i'd quite like an answer to this too. i still have a shitload of pm's and i wouldn't be surprised if i signed on here one day and for them all to have vanished without warning. and then i'd be really pissed! :mad:

James
May 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
As far as I know, Steve is still looking into expanding the PM limit.

Yasmine
May 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
As much as anyone, I can understand the will to keep some PMs that you've exchanged. There is a way of saving all PMs in your inbox on your computer.
At the bottom of your PMs there is a save as html/cvs/text option. They're not saved in the best of format but at least you get to keep them.

Avid Merrion
May 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
As much as anyone, I can understand the will to keep some PMs that you've exchanged. There is a way of saving all PMs in your inbox on your computer.
At the bottom of your PMs there is a save as html/cvs/text option. They're not saved in the best of format but at least you get to keep them.

thanks Yasmine, i seen option this posted by you elsewhere yesterday :)
i will be signing up for the subscription just as soon as Steve gets rid of that God awful badge that appears under your username like he promised :lol: i would just like some kind of reassurance that in the meantime, all my pm's aren't going to vanish without trace :)

Yasmine
May 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
The membership logo will be assigned to you automatically, you'll have to ask an admin (or Steve) to remove it for you.
And about the PM varnishing :lol: I suppose Steve should be able to answer that.

Avid Merrion
May 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The membership logo will be assigned to you automatically, you'll have to ask an admin (or Steve) to remove it for you.
And about the PM varnishing :lol: I suppose Steve should be able to answer that.
posted by Steve in another thread in Bug/Error....

Im going to be editing the premium membership options. The 50% less ads isnt working, and if you use the gray skin its the same as before so theres no point. premium members will have 5000 pms not 500. Im also going to try to figure out a way to give bonuses for premium members in the form of V-cash. Basically once per month premium members will get their supporting member V-cash bonus.

Edit: And we have new tags that are smaller. They just have to be uploaded to the servers
he does have smaller tags (hurrah! :D:lol: ) and the sign up page still says only 500 pm's for premium members, so i'll probably wait until the changes have been done first ;)

Steve
May 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Right now the premiums are back up to 5000 pms, I should have the smalller tags up sometime today. I dont really like them much so may redo them someday. Right now we are working on the MTF upgrade so cant really spend too much time on that stuff but will get it all done eventually.

As for why mods get memberships free. Because they actually do work here to keep the forum running. More work than most people think so I gave it to them in appreciation for their work. If a mod chooses to still donate to support the forum they can do so. And a few already have.

Just to give you a bit of an idea, there are 8400 threads and 30,000 posts in the staff section of the forum. All of which have to be read, replied to, or addressed. (and there is a Jacuzzi)

Avid Merrion
May 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Right now the premiums are back up to 5000 pms, I should have the smalller tags up sometime today. I dont really like them much so may redo them someday. Right now we are working on the MTF upgrade so cant really spend too much time on that stuff but will get it all done eventually.

thanks Steve, appreciate it :)

Chris 84
May 16th, 2007, 11:16 PM
As far as I know, Steve is still looking into expanding the PM limit.

That would be good, and I appreciate the effort in doing this :)
I really hope that some kind of compromise situation can be reached here if it is at all possible....

As for why mods get memberships free. Because they actually do work here to keep the forum running. More work than most people think so I gave it to them in appreciation for their work. If a mod chooses to still donate to support the forum they can do so. And a few already have.

Just to give you a bit of an idea, there are 8400 threads and 30,000 posts in the staff section of the forum. All of which have to be read, replied to, or addressed. (and there is a Jacuzzi)

Ok, I still don't agree with them getting it free, but at least you took the trouble to give me an explanation, so thanks :)