PDA

View Full Version : Serena Scores Win In Rome Return

SerenaSlams
May 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Serena Scores Win In Rome Return

By Tennis Week
05/15/2007

Serena Williams felt flat, got down a break early, struggled to find her footing and sought some treatment from the trainer. The reigning Australian Open champion wasn't at her best in her Rome return, but was still good enough to score a 6-4, 6-1, victory over Michaella Krajicek and reach the third round of the Tier I clay-court event.

"I kept missing and hitting balls out. I wasn't playing my game at all. I was letting her dictate play," Williams said. "But it was a good start. I got to run. She moved me a lot.'"

It was Williams first complete clay-court match in two years. She succumbed to Francesca Schiavone, 7-6(2), 6-1, in the second round of the 2005 Rome event in her last complete clay-court match. Williams retired from her opening match in Charleston while holding a 5-3 lead last month.

"I came out flat," Williams said. "I don't think I warmed up enough inside and she was playing really well."

Williams broke serve five times, cracked 25 winners compared to 10 for Krajicek and won nine of the last 10 games to raise her record to 17-2.

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship: