PDA

View Full Version : Patrick McEnroe answers question: Greatest threat to dethrone Justine at French Open?

SerenaSlams
May 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
By Patrick McEnroe
Special to ESPN.com

Which players pose as the greatest threat to knock two-time defending French Open champion Justine Henin off her throne?

McEnroe: The one candidate is the person who has played very little: Serena Williams. She's the X-factor. If she's fit and healthy, Williams has a viable shot at winning the French. We saw what she is capable of in Australia earlier this year. Very few, except Serena and her inner circle, thought she could pull it off, but that's what great champions do. She doesn't have to play a lot to make a statement. For Williams, it's about maintaining her fitness and avoiding injury. She won the French in 2002 and all signs indicate she will be a force this year. There aren't many players like her, those who can play so little but yet command so much respect.

Svetlana Kuznetsova is another contender, if she can get her head on straight. The Russian beat Henin in Berlin last week on clay, and her game is well-suited for dirt with a big forehand. She's strong, fit and moves well, and if she can hold it together mentally, Kuznetsova can compete with any women on tour.

The women's game, however, is in disarray. Amelie Mauresmo is coming off injuries and will be a question mark. Maria Sharapova probably won't play. Venus Williams doesn't have much of a chance. Martina Hingis has been a disaster lately, having yet to put together back-to-back wins on clay and Kim Clijsters is retired. There are very few players who will trouble Henin at the French.

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:

friendsita
May 24th, 2007, 08:58 AM
There aren't many players like her, those who can play so little but yet command so much respect.

So true :worship: :worship: :worship:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I remember reading this article and I was imagining hearing his voice and I remembered clearly he was one of the espn2 commentators who wrote her off at the AO and said "Serena has no chance of winning this tournament"....amazing how his mouth changes