PDA

View Full Version : Serena in Rome - Cheering Thread!

Vaidisova
May 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Serena's half of the draw -

(1)Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) bye
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) vs Samantha Stosur (AUS)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) vs Meilen Tu (USA)
(14)Patty Schnyder (SUI) vs Vasilisa Bardina (RUS)

(11)Shahar Peer (ISR) vs Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) vs Ai Sugyiama (JPN)
Olga Poutchkova (RUS) vs Q
(8)Serena Williams (USA) bye

(3)Jelena Jankovic (SRB) bye
Nicole Pratt (AUS) vs Q
Alona Bondarenko (UKR) vs Julia Vakulenko (UKR)
(16)Tathiana Garbin (ITA) vs Flavia Pennetta (ITA)

(10)Elena Dementieva (RUS) vs Maria Elena Camerin (ITA)
Karin Knapp (ITA) vs Q
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) vs Emilie Loit (FRA)
(5)Nadia Petrova (RUS) vs Q

LDF
May 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Another Serena v Peer match is on the cards :o

Olórin
May 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Some potentially tricky matches but I definitely think Serena should get to the semis :)

Vaidisova
May 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
The draw is tricky but there will be good matches for her with Roland Garros just 2 weeks away.

winone23
May 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
:aparty: :aparty: Serena's back and she's better than ever, hey now, hey now Serena's back!

Craigy
May 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I really like Serena's draw. Not too hard, not too easy :p

TLP
May 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Serena's half of the draw -

(1)Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) bye
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) vs Samantha Stosur (AUS)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) vs Meilen Tu (USA)
(14)Patty Schnyder (SUI) vs Vasilisa Bardina (RUS)

(11)Shahar Peer (ISR) vs Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) vs Ai Sugyiama (JPN)
Olga Poutchkova (RUS) vs Q
(8)Serena Williams (USA) bye

(3)Jelena Jankovic (SRB) bye
Nicole Pratt (AUS) vs Q
Alona Bondarenko (UKR) vs Julia Vakulenko (UKR)
(16)Tathiana Garbin (ITA) vs Flavia Pennetta (ITA)

(10)Elena Dementieva (RUS) vs Maria Elena Camerin (ITA)
Karin Knapp (ITA) vs Q
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) vs Emilie Loit (FRA)
(5)Nadia Petrova (RUS) vs Q

Nadia as a 5th seed plays a qualifier in the first round? Is this true? Nadia you need better PR!

Lulu.
May 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Good luck Serena :)

BuTtErFrEnA
May 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I really like Serena's draw. Not too hard, not too easy :p

I agree....she can beat everyone in there but not to many players there she can just plough through :D

archie4
May 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Serena has a challenging draw, and I think that is wonderful! Serena seems to thrive on difficult matches, and this will be a great test for Roland Garros. She should also be wearing a new outfit, which I'm guessing will be the Roland Garros collection striped tank and skort (since the similar dress will be for Roland Garros).

Mina Vagante
May 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM
cmon serena :bounce:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM
it'll be a tough draw, no tougher than Miami or Melbourne and we ALL know how THOSE turned out :yeah:

Vaidisova
May 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
It would be great if she could win this title but it will be tough. I just want her to get as many matches as possible and stay healthy with RG just 2 weeks away.

aisha
May 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM
:help: @ the draw.

Good luck Serena! :yeah:

StarDuvallGrant
May 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Good luck :clap2: Continue with progress and your great season!

:inlove:
May 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I like her draw. :yeah: :D :bigclap: Shahar, Jelena & Nadia are the threats, but I think Serena will get her way through them if she is as motivated and fit as I think she'll be. :p Good luck!

Donatello
May 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM
My first post will be my first prediction :
Serena is going to :fiery: in Rome!
...and win the title of course.

RJWCapriati
May 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM
:yeah: Hope she will stay injury free and win the whole thing!

Brooklyn90
May 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I really hope she stays healthy and at least makes it the the semifinals, but it would be great if she wins :D She only has 2 clay-court titles :(

BuTtErFrEnA
May 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
at least she has "the big one" a la a certain blonde...I just want her to get the matches...that's what's most important...just finding her form on the clay once more and then we'll be off to RG

May 13th, 2007, 01:24 PM
has she arrived in Rome yet?

serenafan08
May 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
at least she has "the big one" a la a certain blonde...I just want her to get the matches...that's what's most important...just finding her form on the clay once more and then we'll be off to RG

:lol: She has two titles that the "certain blonde" doesn't have - and probably won't get anytime soon!!!

I hope Serena is fit and ready to make a run. She seems like she's eager to get out there on the clay, and that's good. She can crack the top ten with a good showing here. Go get 'em baby girl!! :bounce:

Vaidisova
May 13th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Serena plays the winner of Krajicek vs Poutchkova

VishaalMaria
May 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Come on Serena! You know you can beat all these bitches down! EVERYONE KNOWS!! Come on LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

VishaalMaria
May 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
God I'm getting excited! I cant wait to see her back on clay! She rarely plays anymore these days, but when she does I always appreciate it!

winone23
May 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I like her draw. :yeah: :D :bigclap: Shahar, Jelena & Nadia are the threats, but I think Serena will get her way through them if she is as motivated and fit as I think she'll be. :p Good luck!

Serena can handle them, she has a good draw!

winone23
May 13th, 2007, 11:57 PM
:yeah: Hope she will stay injury free and win the whole thing!

Ditto

BuTtErFrEnA
May 14th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Just hope she's ok now....no injuries and can truly make her presence felt here then on to RG....any reports about her in Rome yet??

Vaidisova
May 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM
An Italian poster in GM posted that she is there (as well as Oracene). Tomorrow is the all access hour with the top 8 seeds. So there'll be news/quotes/interviews and probably some pics too.

http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=298184

BuTtErFrEnA
May 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM
ty :D

Brooklyn90
May 14th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Does anyone know what day Serena will play on?

vw.
May 14th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Probably Tuesday! Maybe Wednesday, but hopefully tournament organizers won't make her play 5 days in a row. (assuming she wins the title ;))

Vaidisova
May 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Serena will play Krajicek first

BuTtErFrEnA
May 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I think Serena may be playing tomorrow

MrSerenaWilliams
May 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM
:dance: yaay! :woohoo: Can't wait to see her in that foxy purple dress :hearts:

Vaidisova
May 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Serena plays tomorrow night

TORNEO FEMMINILE
Campo Centrale
inizio ore 13: (13) Na Li (CHN) c. (WC) Oprandi (ITA)
a seguire Schiavone (ITA) c. Stosur (AUS)
a seguire Pennetta (ITA) c. (16) Garbin (ITA)

Non prima delle 20: (LL) Krajicek (OLA) c. (8) S Wiliams (USA)
a seguire: Ferreira (RSA) c. Bruguera (ESP) (finale Black Rock Tour of Champions)

Olórin
May 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM
krajicek just finished a third set in doubles...wonder how fresh she will be tomorrow

May 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Not On ES then? :(
Good luck Serena! Start with a BANG. :yeah:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM
hopefully she does....the countdown is on!!! :D 4 more hours to go :D

Lulu.
May 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I cannot wait. Serena on the clay again :hearts:

May 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I just :hearts: Serena on the red stuff.

serenafan08
May 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Let the clay campaign begin! Go get 'em baby girl! :bounce:

Mina Vagante
May 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
:bounce: serena on clay = :drool:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
wish I could watch....want to see what she is wearing :D....just over an hour to go :D

Vaidisova
May 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Serena won her match tonight 6-4 6-1 now she has tomorrow off

May 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Nicely done Serena. :yeah: :D :clap2: I really hope Sugiyama wins. I think that could be a high quality match.

Mina Vagante
May 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Nicely done Serena. :yeah: :D :clap2: I really hope Sugiyama wins. I think that could be a high quality match.

yeh ooo i love soogs :hearts: either way serena will have to finish off the points many times cus both players defend so wel but cmon soogs :bounce:

Lulu.
May 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I hope Sugi wins too. Peer is already a pain in the ass I could only imagine on clay :unsure:

jarkko
May 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
yoopie great job Serena!! :hearts: :worship: now I want Ai to play the Queen :) anyway good luck Mistress!:bounce:

Olórin
May 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Good win for Serena, rest up and practice tomorrow for her 4 days in a row of playing :D

RichyRena
May 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Wahey Im glad she won, annoid they didnt show it on Eurosport.:O she is wearing that dress, will she wear the same thing for the french? I thought that would be her f.o oufit. Maybe thats the surpirse for the french....

winone23
May 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
well done serena!

Lulu.
May 15th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wahey Im glad she won, annoid they didnt show it on Eurosport.:O she is wearing that dress, will she wear the same thing for the french? I thought that would be her f.o oufit. Maybe thats the surpirse for the french....

She is wearing the two piece outfit in Rome. She is gonna wear the dress during the French Open

LindsayRulz
May 15th, 2007, 09:45 PM
She looks really fit! Ready to do some domage :)

winone23
May 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Peer will give Serena a good fight, but Serena will win. Go Serena.

Vaidisova
May 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Serena plays Shahar tomorrow

TORNEO FEMMINILE
Campo Centrale
inizio ore 13: (10) Dementieva (RUS) c. (5) Petrova
a seguire (3) Jankovic (RUS) c. A Bondarenko (UKR) o (16) Garbin (ITA)
a seguire (11) Peer (ISR) c. (8) S Williams (USA)

Non prima delle ore 20.30: (LL) Fedak (UKR) c. (2) Kuznetsova (RUS)
a seguire Errani (ITA)/Gabba (ITA) c. (2) Black (ZIM)/Huber (RSA)

May 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yuck. :( I can't bear these Serena-Shahar matches. :( But good luck Serena. ;) :kiss:

Olórin
May 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Good luck ReeRee, just remember who you are and you can't lose :kiss:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Goo Ree :yeah::hearts::bounce:

winone23
May 17th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Yuck. :( I can't bear these Serena-Shahar matches. :( But good luck Serena. ;) :kiss:

:lol: Why they're entertaining.

-VSR-
May 17th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I agree.

I love the Serena-Peer matches. If Peer is the new Capriati, bring it on, we need a new great rivalry! :D

archie4
May 17th, 2007, 04:50 AM

She is wearing the two piece outfit in Rome. She is gonna wear the dress during the French Open
Yep... the outfit she is wearing in Rome is the "secondary" outfit in her Roland Garros collection (shown below). The primary outfit in the Roland Garros group, a halter dress, is really revealing in the back, which should make quite a statement since she is in great shape!
http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/big/NWESD-big.jpg
http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/big/NWEST-big.jpg

Vaidisova
May 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Serena won 63 63 over Peer and is into the next round

thierry
May 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Looks like it's gonna be Patty Schnyder next.....Serena has an overwhelming h2h with shnyder having lost once to her on clay in like 8 times....and anyway that was back in Charleston in the clay season of 02 and we all know the damage Serena did after that little loss...

The impressive thing is that Serena (from the stats) sounds like it wasn't a great performance...when i started this post she was up 5-1 ready to serve it out but got broken and now she's serving it out at 5-3.

Say what you may but Peer is a tough customer and ESPECIALLY on clay...so for Serena to beat her while not playing her best is a harbinger of doom for the WTA.

I'm looking forward to vee now ....i'm sure she's got a little surprise for us in store too...inspite of Patrick -can't-win-Davis cup- Mcenroe's dismissive attitude.

Anyway..she's just finished it up..to put this in perspective..she served 49 % first serve while peer served at 70 and she broke peer six times while being broken thrice.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
:yeah: I think she just gained SO much steam for RG...I thought it would have been MUCH closer :hearts:

aisha
May 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Great Job, Serena!

I have to admit, I was skeered of Miss Peer. :scared:

Lulu.
May 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Great Job, Serena!

I have to admit, I was skeered of Miss Peer. :scared:

Same here. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I love it!!! she's fit...she ready and she started her winning again....anyone who wrote her off on the clay look at that just now....not playing anywhere near her best and beat peer....RG is right ahead Serena...win this title and then go after that and claim what is rightfully yours :D....the calender GS is ours this year :D

Becool
May 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'm scared of Patty!

I hope Serena wins, cuz I want to watch her on semifinals!

Vaidisova
May 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Tomorrow

Quarter finals
Centre Court
start at 1 pm: Jankovic (SRB) vs (10) Dementieva (RUS)
followed by (14) Schnyder (SUI) vs (8) S WILLIAMS (USA)

The Daviator
May 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Great tournament so far for Ree :D Good luck against Patty :yeah:

winone23
May 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Good luck Against Patty!

BuTtErFrEnA
May 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I think she'll win in 3 sets and that's based on how she played today.....if she improves her play tomorrow look for a tough first set and an easier second set

Vaidisova
May 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
The match with Patty will be another big test for sure.

I hope Serena will not struggle so much on serve tomorrow. It makes me nervous when her service games are so long all the time like today. :lol:

Olórin
May 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
The match with Patty will be another big test for sure.

I hope Serena will not struggle so much on serve tomorrow. It makes me nervous when her service games are so long all the time like today. :lol:

I know what you mean :lol:

I really don't think Serena will lose though, I get the impression that she would rather die than not win this tournament. I really do! :worship:

#1Davenport
May 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I think the match against Schnyder will be a tough 2 setter... something like 6-4 7-5 maybe. :)

serenafan08
May 18th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Serena seems like she's doing what she wants out there - except serving well. Once her serve gets the consistency she wants, the rest will flow. I think Patty will give her a good test tomorrow, but Serena will win. She's getting into a groove now. I think it will be like 7-5, 6-3.

Bayo
May 18th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I'm so relived Serena's playing (and winning!) in Rome. This is the perfect opportunity to snap the kinks out of her serve and find the right groove for RG. I think if she wins this title, she has to be considered the favorite going into Paris -- yes, even moreso than Justine.

May 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Patty seems so motivated these last 2 weeks. :unsure:
But Serena will still win. :clap2:

Vaidisova
May 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Serena lost in a third set TB. So now she has a week or so before RG begins.

aisha
May 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Despite the loss, it's still a good effort.

She has nothing to be ashamed of, imo.

Olórin
May 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I know what you mean :lol:

I really don't think Serena will lose though, I get the impression that she would rather die than not win this tournament. I really do! :worship:

I hope she doesn't now I said that:unsure:

Serena, what a wasted opportunity, Patty played well but you should've upped your game :sobbing: :hysteric: I wanted her to win this almost as much as I wanted her to win the FO :(

BuTtErFrEnA
May 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
her game fell apart at the beginning and at the end when it mattered most...that was not the Serena that won the two biggest titles of the year :( hopefully she can use these matches as stepping stones to RG and pull a Hobart/AO surprise

RichyRena
May 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Hmm dissapointing tbh but oh well we have to move on. Like the commentators said 'Schnyder playing some of the best tennis in her career' just our luck its against Serena :( also the conditions aswell where very tough. and plus williams hasnt had many clay court matches, I mean she hasnt been to the French for 3 years :S

Vaidisova
May 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
It isn't a bad result as this was her first red clay tournament in 2 years. The match was close and could have gone either way.

winone23
May 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Serena :hug:

May 19th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Hmmm. :( :sobbing: Dissapointing. Rest up now for Roland Garros.

RichyRena
May 19th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Hmmm In a way I think its a good thing for serena to have lost this match. There will be less pressure on her going into the F.O and people will have lowered their expectations of Serena and fewer people now expect her to win which gives her less pressure. Where as if she had of won in Rome she would have won the biggest clay title going into the French and everyone would expect her to win or atleast get to the final. But now with this loss she seems less 'perfect'.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM
the only thing is that when she feels people doubt her she comes up with the goods big time.....which is why I agree with you...she's in the perfect position to strike unlike JJ who is playing everything so she's expected to do great at RG

May 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Serena should feed off the pressure to win, not lose to lower people's expectations of her.

Olórin
May 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hmmm In a way I think its a good thing for serena to have lost this match. There will be less pressure on her going into the F.O and people will have lowered their expectations of Serena and fewer people now expect her to win which gives her less pressure. Where as if she had of won in Rome she would have won the biggest clay title going into the French and everyone would expect her to win or atleast get to the final. But now with this loss she seems less 'perfect'.

This I agree with. Plus as she won't necessarily be the clear favourite in every match now, the French crowd are less likely to boo her :lol:

Bastards:mad:

Stamp Paid
May 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Heres the tiebreak http://rapidshare.com/files/32021697/Schnyder_v_Williams_rome_3rd_set_tiebreak.avi

Serena!!! I liked what I saw from her though. She just made a really unfortunate error at 5-all. This match could have gone either way, Serena should have played Patty a bit smarter though in the tiebreak. But her form was pretty good, she was hitting well. I'm excited about what she'll do at Roland Garros. I'm sure Patty will be somewhere in her immediate draw though, since Serena lost to her in Rome LOL.