PDA

View Full Version : Damir Dokic said to be seriously ill

JimM
May 11th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Damir Dokic said to be seriously ill

Jelena Dokic may have more than just her skidding tennis career to worry about after reports in the Serbian press that her father Damir is seriously ill.

Former Australian Dokic, whose career highlight was a Wimbledon semi-final in 2000, now ranks off the charts outside the Top 500. She has played only one match in 2007, losing at a $10,000 Futures event in Rome in March.

News reports said that the 24-year-old has been in contact with estranged Damir, who was once banned from the WTA during his peak of his daughter's career when she stood in the Top 5. The pair have been estranged for some years, with Jelena's tennis going downhill through a string of unsuccessful coaching and personal relationships.

Reports gave no hint of the illness.

The tabloid newspaper Kurier quoted Damir: "I would not like to comment on Jelena's eventual retirement. I regret that she did not listen to me and return to the family. Sadly, my predictions have come true."

Dokic has been known as a loose cannon, reporting last year to the press that Jelena had been kidnapped, then threatening to kidnap her himself.

He reportedly lives in the countryside where he tends a vineyard.

OZTENNIS
May 11th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Former Australian???

She IS Australian

Damir...maybe his past is coming back to haunt him :shrug:

Jelena :hug:

Ben.
May 11th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Well Damir Dokic should get what he deserves.

Just Do It
May 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM

And that is ... :scared:

Schnyderfreak
May 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Who are we to judge about a sick old man ?
would you like to be judged without knowing the real story ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sergio
May 17th, 2007, 02:12 AM
THat's right Schnyderfreak, and before saying bad things about Damir you lot should remember that was with Damir that she reached 4 in the wta ranking and after leaving home that's when she drop the ranks. Myself I like Damir, he is honest and says what he as to say on someone's face.

Ozztennis SHE IS Serbian-croat, one just need to look at her face to see that. Just because australia buy athletes that doesn't make them natives, and besides the only ones that can be considered australian are the aborigines.