PDA

View Full Version : Serena interview with Star Magazine

dreamgoddess099
May 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Exclusive: Serena Williams Talks To Star!
Star caught up with tennis phenomenon and Olympic gold medalist Serena Williams, who recently teamed up with Vick's DayQuil Sinus & NyQuil to announce the launch of the "Vicks Sinus Send-Off" national sweepstakes, where the lucky grand prize winner will win an all expense paid trip to Wimbledon 2007 to watch Serena play a match. Williams, who's a long time sufferer of sinus pain, tells Star about her fitness routine (and why she hates it!), her secret talent, and a why she's so scared of having children!

How did you get involved with this campaign?
They really wanted a true suffer of sinus pain and headaches that could really speak about the topic and really knows how much it can affect you in your every day activities. Many people didn't know that about me. I guess my secret is out! It makes me have to work harder at my game and really affects me when I'm getting into shape. When I run, I breathe harder and it takes me longer to recover from all that pressure around my nose.

You're obviously an icon of fitness. What's your fitness routine?
I do a lot of yoga. I love Bikram yoga because you burn more than 600 calories in just one class. You need a lot of patience for yoga, but I love Bikram yoga because it's in a super warm room so from the moment you walk in you're just pouring sweat. I recommend everyone try this. It's a great work out. I'm trying to start to run a lot too. I like running as a way to keep your legs firm — it's important to have firm legs. And, of course, tennis swings keep my arms strong. But I don't like my arms. I think they are too muscular! And as far as food goes, I never eat beef or pork. I mostly eat chicken and fish.

How do you get motivated to work out?
I actually hate working out. I hate working out more than anything, but I have to — when I'm running, I think about how much I want to win. That's the only thing that keeps me going. I don't know what to suggest to anyone else. I guess everyone has to find that one thing that encourages them and just think about it the entire time you're working out. But I have to be honest, I hate going to the gym. I don't like running. I hate doing anything that has to do with working out. I hate it, but I do it because I have to. I can't train with my sister, Venus. She loves working out. She loves going to the gym and running. It's frustrating working out with her because she's so into it. I'm the complete opposite.

How does playing against Venus compare to playing other opponents in a tennis match?
Playing against Venus is exciting but at the time I feel like I'm playing myself. I'm playing the best possible player, and it's definitely weird. I know all her moves — her moves are very similar to my moves so it's like I'm playing against myself. She gets everything back, she hits so hard and has a great serve, which is really similar to me. I hit everything back hard. I feel like I get to see how people feel when they play, when I'm on the court with Venus. It's interesting.

So what's your secret talent that no one knows about?
I'm a talented rapper. A lot of people don't know that about me, but I am. I don't freestyle or anything, but I can definitely rap. I also play the guitar.

Any plans for an album?
No way! A rapping guitarist — that would be so weird. I'm too shy to do that.

Do you have any spring beauty tips?
I think spring should be really natural. I think you should have light eye shadows and a glossy lip liner and that's it. A little goes a long way. I'm also really excited about the Mod, 60s trends. I went a little too crazy of mod dresses. I'm really excited about that and the continuation of short shorts and heels. I love that look.

I hear your physiotherapist just had a baby. Congratulations!
Thanks! She's like my sister, though. She trains me, she's my physio and she's my best friend. I was in the room with her when she gave birth and I filmed the entire thing. It was a real interesting experience. I didn't know all the details about giving birth and I have so much more respect for her now because of what I saw. It was amazing to see how life is born. I was crying it was unbelievable.

Did that experience make you want to have kids as well?
I would love to, but not after watching what she had to go through. I think I'm going to wait another 20 or 30 years. (Laughs) No, but I come from a big family, so I would definitely love to have around four kids. I don't know, it's not an easy decision to make. So, we'll see. Right now, I'm focusing on my game.

- MIRELLE ARGAMAN

alex.stef
May 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
thank you for posting this interview

MrSerenaWilliams
May 12th, 2007, 09:27 AM
thanks for this :yeah: