PDA

View Full Version : Who are the real fighters on court?

stefi62
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Some players are very good, but don't seem to be fighting till the end. On the other hand, some are real fighters and never give up. Who are those in your opinion?

A few months ago, I would have said the ultimate fighter was Maria Sharapova. Especially at USO2006. She never gave up and could come back at any time! I'm not so sure about that right now...

Other real fighters are Justine Hénin and Serena Williams. Latest Example: Juju against Virginie Razzano at Miami.

I have to go for Mary Pierce as well:hearts: , the two biggest examples being Moscow 2005 quarter finals against Likho (third set tie breaker, from 0-6 to 8-6) or FedCup Final against Myskina (1 set to 0, 2-4 second set).

I discovered a new one last week end as Flavia Pennetta came back in the FedCup match against Peng from 0-6 / 4*-5, 00-40.

Do you have such examples?

CORIA01
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:11 AM
for me it's sharapova and henin!

Effy
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
A few months ago, I would have said the ultimate fighter was Maria Sharapova. Especially at USO2006. She never gave up and could come back at any time! I'm not so sure about that right now...

she was a fighter, she is and will be. Its her peculiarity. It cannot just disappear

Others: Serena?:p, Justin, Venus, Lena D.
dont remember any others :lol: maybe later

darkangel23
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Shahar Peer at US Open 2006 in 3r vs. Schiavone...
She was back 6:3, 6:7, 1-5 and saved 5mps and won that third set 7-6!!

I remember Martina Hingis was lead 6:2, 3:6, 1:4 vs. S.Williams at QF Aussie Open 2001 and Serena was serving... and afterwards she was back 4-5 with Serena serving for the match but Martina won that 8-6...

Iceland
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Alizé Cornet is an absolute fighter. She never gives up, her matches in Acapulco all last at least 2h30 hours. She was down 3-5 in the first set against Benesova and won it 7-6, down 0-4 against Ditty in the 3rd set and finally qualified, down 1-5 against Brémond and won the set 7-6.
Again in Cagnes, she had a 3H15 match with Strykova and had to save a SP to defeat Pous Tio.

The bad point is that she is often struggling to defeat easy opponents, but she has a real fighting spirit and an impressive physical condition.
Allez Alizé :)

darkangel23
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Or Nicole Vaidisova who am I kidding this was one of the biggest fights!!
In Moscow QF against Mauresmo... Amélie was leading 6:1, 5:2 but Nicole fought back and won 1:6, 7:5, 7:6(3)

sapir1434
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I can mention Shahar Peer as a big fighter. A good example is her match against Schiavone in the US Open 2006. She came back in the last set from 1-5 to win 7-6 saving MP's :yeah: but actually there are many other examples. I think Peer is one of the biggest young fighters on tour, and that's one of the things that make her great player!

Brett.
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Vera Zvonareva! :D

Josh.
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
peer, henin, maria, lenaD would be the overious choices :)

Emina.
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Maria Sharapova.

frenchie
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Nastya is a big fighter too!

saved 9 MPs against Zvonareva in San Diego 2004
beat Pratt after being down 6/3-5/1 in 2003
beat Kuznetsova after trailing 6/1-3/1 and saved 2 MPs

At Wimbly 2005
def Bohmova after trailing 6/4-4/1
def Jankovic being down 5/1 in the third
def Dementieva trailing 6/1-3/1
all in the same tourny!!!

So Disrespectful
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Daniela often makes good comebacks, but sometimes on court it's almost as if she's not trying.

The obvious choice is Sharapova.

VishaalMaria
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Serena Williams.

Come back from a bum knee, your sisters death, the media hating, and only playing five events in the last year to win SLAMS THEN we talk!! Now THATS a fighter. No one even comes close. And probably never will. Sorry.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
:worship:

schorsch
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
for me its the ballboys and ballgirls.

Tennisaddict
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Well, I think there are many fighters on tour who don´t have enough talent. So often their fight is not enough to win them a match against a better player. Serena, Justine and Maria are tremendous fighters who also have the talent which enables them to win the biggest titles.

So, it´s tough to say because other than those obvious picks we probably will never hear about the players who fight in the tournies that don´t get televized.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM
are you saying Serena's not the best/biggest fighter?! :fiery:

FUCK DAT SHIT!

BAN THIS HATER :smash::weirdo::o

I agree 100% I think lots of players are FIGHTERS, they're just not good enough to win regardless :angel:

Very good point

bandabou
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Serena, Justine...come to mind. Maria??
Hmmm..she's a notch belowd Serena and Justine imo.
Against Serena at the '05 oz open, it was Maria that blinked first.

TaxPower
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I'd say justine, serena, maria, and the italian players like franci, tathy, flavia, camerin...

Iceland
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Actually, everybody is putting his/her faves into the biggest fighters :o

frontier
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
i think without being biased serena ,she is the ultimate fighter she has shown the world how to win when all hope is lost many times throughout her career.recent history has shown us who is strongest,since 2005 maria has never had a mental edge over serena,justine crumbled against serena,australia 07 is a clear reference to serena's strength of spirit,she won even though she was being tested by the media and other players she has the ability to block everything out and focus for long periods.

misael
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Serena is the ultimate fighter,also Monica Seles.>>I remember one time Mary was playing Kornikova and lost the first set,was down a couple of breaks in the 2nd, and then won like 10 games in a row,winning that 3rd set 6-0.

The Dawntreader
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Venus and Serena are just so tough and tenacious, so great at coming back.

Venus saved 8 matchpoints against capriati in 2001

Came back from a 5-3 deficit in the final set of her 2000 us open semi against Hingis.

Came from 4-6 0-3 to beat hingis in Warsaw

Came back from:

4-6 5-6
4-6 7-6 4-2(40-0)
4-6 7-6 4-5( 2MP)

All against Lindsay in that wimby final:worship: :worship:

Came back from a 3-0 deficit against Sprem in berlin 2004

saved 5 matchpoints against Schynder in Stanford 05.

The list could go on, but she's such a phenomonal fighter:D

Mina Vagante
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
serena is the best: then henin and maria

Derek.
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Alize Cornet
Raluca-Ioana Olaru

starin
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM
the obvious answer is Serena. But like someone else said I'm sure there are other fighters on tour who may not have the talent to back up the fight. But amongst the top players it's Serena without a doubt. If Sharapova and Henin are considered the biggest fighters on tour what does that say about Serena who has come back from match point down to beat both those players. Serena has come back from the brink so many times not only in her matches but in her career as well. There's a reason a player ranked 81 in the world is not supposed to win a slam, no matter her previous successes. Serena defies the odds. Same with Venus (although lately she's not been so great in the fighter department).

Knizzle
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
You don't always have to be down to fight, u can fight to keep your opponent down saving BP coming from 40-0 down on their serve to break etc., It doesn't just have to be from a near death position.

rrfnpump
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
still, nobody beats Raymonds comeback from 06 05 against Kurhajcova :p

grogom31
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Some players are very good, but don't seem to be fighting till the end. On the other hand, some are real fighters and never give up. Who are those in your opinion?

Other real fighters are Justine Hénin and Serena Williams. Latest Example: Juju against Virginie Razzano at Miami.

I have to go for Mary Pierce as well:hearts: , the two biggest examples being Moscow 2005 quarter finals against Likho (third set tie breaker, from 0-6 to 8-6) or FedCup Final against Myskina (1 set to 0, 2-4 second set).

I discovered a new one last week end as Flavia Pennetta came back in the FedCup match against Peng from 0-6 / 4*-5, 00-40.

Do you have such examples?

I think it's ridiculous to even put serena among your favorites as a fighter. obviously unless some of you are blind by racial preferences.Serena is in sport the ultimate athlete fighter the world has ever known.

Yonexforever
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM
SERENA WINS HANDS DOWN!!!
Justine tends to be a tough customer, but Serena will fight you like you stole from her, ESPECIALLY with a title on the line.

Please believe NO ONE else on tour has that kind of fight, and dont let her give you the stare down, cause then yo arse is grass!!!!!

Honorable mention goes to Capriati.. still miss that bull in a skirt.

Just because panic sets in and you start to hit all out and harder does not a true fighter make, and thats how I see Sharapova.

Beny
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I hope nobody will mention here Lisa Raymond...and her win over Lubka Kurhajcova at RG 04 or another year..after being 06,05 down, Lisa won 06,75,63
it was just choking from Kurhajcova and I think the biggest fighters can do such things regularly...
so..
1.Serena, Na Li
2.Nastya
3.LenaD
4.Justine
5.Peer

friendsita
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Serena Williams.

Come back from a bum knee, your sisters death, the media hating, and only playing five events in the last year to win SLAMS THEN we talk!! Now THATS a fighter. No one even comes close. And probably never will. Sorry.

sooo true, she has demostrated a lot of times that she is a real fighter.

MS_FP
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Maria

Serena
JuJu

JJ might make this list eventually...what she did to Venus in Charleston was amazing :worship:

Hashim.
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Myskina,Justine n Serena..

supergrunt
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Venus and Serena :) ! So many times thety have come back from almost loosing. Maria and Justine have a lot of heart as well.

Jessie181
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Justine, Venus, Serena, Maria, and i'll post others later as i think of them.

Berlin_Calling
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM
hmm id say alex stevenson and jelena dokic.

Frode
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
My answer is always the same for these kind of questions:

Ai Sugiyama

Every point
Every match
Every time

woosey
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
My answer is always the same for these kind of questions:

Ai Sugiyama

Every point
Every match
Every time

it hasn't paid off that well though. she has no slams.

woosey
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
hmm id say alex stevenson and jelena dokic.

alexandra only acts like she has fight.

fist pumpin does not equal fight. neither does retiring from matches for that matter.

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Everyone in my signature!:worship:
Anna? Tatiana?

RJWCapriati
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
You have to be a fighter to be at the top of the game.......but the ones that stick out to me are S/V Williams, Pierce, Capriati, and Henin.

RJWCapriati
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Oops can't forget Dementieva on that list

winone23
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I wish say Venus, Serena, Jen, Justine, Kim

Groenefelder25
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
definitley jankovic. she never gives up. e.g. lost first set at us open 2006 to an in form kuznetsova on a tiebreak and won in 3 sets.

a difficult task against venus in amelia island this year, with both strugling on their serve. she was a set and break down, but still pulled through.

crazy girl, refuses to give up

oh yeh and one last one (she didnt win fair play) but she was 0-5 down to dementieva at us open series tournament (she was really tired) but still managed to get to 4-5, but unfortunately got broken. still proves how much of a fighter she is

sweetpeas
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :) :cool: :D :bounce: Serena Williams.