PDA

View Full Version : Is Sharapova still a contender for Wimbledon 2007?

Sugar_Kane
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
She's obviously having troubles with her game and quick change from clay to grass won't help. Also the Williams sisters are back and Serena is invincible at the moment, Henin is always a contender getting to final last year and you can never count Mauresmo out as the defending champion. Jankovic and Vaidisova also have major chances to get very far, if not raise the trophy. So where does this leave Maria, grass is (or at least was) her best surface, the crowd have a place in their heart resereved for her (after her fairytale win), and the tabloids love her drama. But will her game let her down, pure grit alone isn't working anymore.

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
She's obviously having troubles with her game and quick change from clay to grass won't help. Also the Williams sisters are back and Serena is invincible at the moment, Henin is always a contender getting to final last year and you can never count Mauresmo out as the defending champion. Jankovic and Vaidisova also have major chances to get very far, if not raise the trophy. So where does this leave Maria, grass is (or at least was) her best surface, the crowd have a place in their heart resereved for her (after her fairytale win), and the tabloids love her drama. But will her game let her down, pure grit alone isn't working anymore.

why ask:rolleyes:

Sugar_Kane
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM
why ask:rolleyes:

Because I would like other people's opinion on the topic, last time I checked this was a tennis forum...a place for disscussion :rolleyes:

mashamaniac
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM
yes,she's still a huge contender for it!

mashamaniac
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM
why do you think jankovic and vaidisova have real chances on grass??

Watching
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Her chances are always there on grass but at the moment they look slightly diminished. If her serve is better then she's alright but if not other players are gonig to start to pick on her. She has lost her aura at the moment.

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM
why do you think jankovic and vaidisova have real chances on grass??

he/she/it asks the questions....didnt you read its previous post?:rolleyes:

Sugar_Kane
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
why do you think jankovic and vaidisova have real chances??

I just thought if there is no real improvement in Maria's game then both of these could take her out in the quaters if the draw allowed for it. I can see both seeing it as a great opportunity to make another grand slam semi and going into such a match all guns blazing.

Emina.
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
yes she is..her shoulder will be ok by then cant wait!! :)

`

Chrissie-fan
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Sharapova is DEFINITELY still a contender. A few years ago she also went through a slump and people argued that her Wimbledon title had been a fluke. Two months later she won the YEC.

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I just thought if there is no real improvement in Maria's game then both of these could take her out in the quaters if the draw allowed for it. I can see both seeing it as a great opportunity to make another grand slam semi and going into such a match all guns blazing.

:rolleyes:

vaidisova or jankovic def sharapova at wimbledon :lol: :help: :rolleyes:

liuxuan
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
if her serve is back to its best then yes, shes a main contender, but if her serve isnt at 100% she is venerable to players she wouldnt normally be to at Wimbledon.

I still think that Serena, Venus and Justine would ve favoured against her at Wimbledon though.

Modiac.
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yes,I think so.
There's no doubt that she is still competitive.

Sugar_Kane
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:21 PM

What's wrong with that Jankovic is on fire at the moment and has good results on grass and Vaidisova has a game to match Sharapova's. No player is safe in any tournament and any player can lose to any other player on any given day.

Nicolás89
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM
maria has more chances to win it without her serve than vaidisova and jankovic have at the moment

KBdoubleu
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Jankovic defeated the defending champion last year.
Vaidisova has never played Maria, and is in better form at the moment.
Don't know why thats funny at all.

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM
What's wrong with that Jankovic is on fire at the moment and has good results on grass and Vaidisova has a game to match Sharapova's. No player is safe in any tournament and any player can lose to any other player on any given day.

:lol: :help: please stop before you lose that last ounce of credibility you once thought you had:rolleyes:

youre jeremy beadle?:lol:

Nicolás89
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM
:lol: :help: please stop before you lose that last ounce of credibility you once thought you had:rolleyes:

youre jeremy beadle?:lol:

talking about creibility your rep doesnt look that great :tape:

tennisjunky
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
people in tennis have the shortest memories in all of sports. masha did make it two straight slam finals, lets not forget those were also the two last slams played. she lost bad to serena twice and there's no shame in that. zvonereva can be dangerous and .losing to her isnt the worse lost a player can have.

mashas problems w.her serve wont keep her from beating all the players ranked below her. and if people are crazy enough to believe in venus for the french then how can you doubt masha on grass?

my top contenders at wimbledon:
1. serena
2. masha
3. venus
4. mauresmo
5. justine

one of those players will be in the finals guaranteed, no doubt in my mind. likely it will be two of them, but one for sure. and which ever one it is, will win wimbledon. masha is not just a contender she's a favorite by a long shot compared to the rest of the field

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Jankovic defeated the defending champion last year.
Vaidisova has never played Maria, and is in better form at the moment.
Don't know why thats funny at all.

vaidisova just come from winning???? no where was it she last won:scratch::lol: :help: :tape: :rolleyes:

go hold hands with sugarcoated it needs a friend:lol:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Of course she is.

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I think Maria is retooling. She always comes back stronger and more determined than ever. That spells trouble for the rest of the field.

There are also question marks hanging over a lot of players' heads going into this tournament (which is a long way off).

Mauresmo hasn't played at all. Also she hasn't experienced being a defending champion at a major before.

Serena- invincible? She retired in her match in Charleston when down. She scraped through a Fed Cup match against a pretty bad player and then had to withdraw from her next match with knee issues. She's played the best tennis this year so far though, that's for sure.

Henin is the real deal. I just think she puts her focus on the French Open and will almost surely be playing on the last weekend. That's a difficult turnaround and gives her no time to enjoy her probable win. I think she'd do better at Wimbledon if she lost early, oddly enough.

Venus is another question mark. She's so incredibly inconsistent. Maria has a good record against her though, and Maria beat her in the last event she played before rehabbing. Venus can come alove on the grass though.

Vaidisova and Jankovic? I think if Maria is playing well, there's no shot against her on a grass court for either of these players. Jankovic would get bulleyed around the court by Maria in the same way she always whips Dementieva. Vaidisova has yet to impress me on grass. And to put her in a big match against Maria on Center Court Wimbledon, Maria will hold her nerve and with more precise shots would win that match too.

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM

c-r-e-d-i-b-i-l-i-t-y:rolleyes:

:lol: reps....you take reps serious???:tape: :help:

cellophane
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Wait until Eastbourne and you'll have your answer.

Kipling
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM
You'd better believe she is.

When healthy, she's the favorite. When not, she's still a contender.

starin
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I think Maria is retooling. She always comes back stronger and more determined than ever. That spells trouble for the rest of the field.

There are also question marks hanging over a lot of players' heads going into this tournament (which is a long way off).

Mauresmo hasn't played at all. Also she hasn't experienced being a defending champion at a major before.

Serena- invincible? She retired in her match in Charleston when down. She scraped through a Fed Cup match against a pretty bad player and then had to withdraw from her next match with knee issues. She's played the best tennis this year so far though, that's for sure.

Henin is the real deal. I just think she puts her focus on the French Open and will almost surely be playing on the last weekend. That's a difficult turnaround and gives her no time to enjoy her probable win. I think she'd do better at Wimbledon if she lost early, oddly enough.

Venus is another question mark. She's so incredibly inconsistent. Maria has a good record against her though, and Maria beat her in the last event she played before rehabbing. Venus can come alove on the grass though.

Vaidisova and Jankovic? I think if Maria is playing well, there's no shot against her on a grass court for either of these players. Jankovic would get bulleyed around the court by Maria in the same way she always whips Dementieva. Vaidisova has yet to impress me on grass. And to put her in a big match against Maria on Center Court Wimbledon, Maria will hold her nerve and with more precise shots would win that match too.

Davenport also had a great record against Venus but it never really mattered when it came to the slams. But Venus with her second serve as it is right now is in no shape to win Wimbledon. Same goes for Sharapova. IF Sharapova can find her serve then she has a great shot. But if her serve is the same as it is now, she will not have a shot at winning Wimbledon. As for Serena, she did not scrape through that match against Maes. Did you even watch that match? She was not pressured in the least and in the second set she just started trying to go for winners on every shot, just to get the match over with.

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Wait until Eastbourne and you'll have your answer.

:lol: :help:

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM

:lol: how can she be a contender when shes not fit and healty?:help: :lol:

you make sugarcoatedkane sound like Stephen Hawking:rolleyes:

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Also Mauresmo has experienced being the defending champion at a major before.

AO 2007?

kiwifan
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Easily, she should be one of the favorites to win. :shrug:

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Also Mauresmo has experienced being the defending champion at a major before.

AO 2007?

Oh dear, it was so far from memorable that I thought she'd been out the whole year :tape:
my bad, you are correct.

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Well I suppose she would be one of the favourites, but I think you could put Justine, Serena, Venus and Amelie above her.

Venus' shape is a bit better than Maria's at the moment, plus she has a better grass game than Maria.

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Oh dear, it was so far from memorable that I thought she'd been out the whole year :tape:
my bad, you are correct.

Yes it wasn't a very good defence :lol:

Sha_ra_po_va
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Remember, you rarely, if ever, get a player who just comes out of nowhere to win wimbledon - maria is a huge favourite, along with the WS

Slutiana
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM

amen:worship:

VS Fan
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Obviously she IS a contender, but beyond that I cannot say much!

marla
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:55 PM
amen:worship:

why do you place integrity on those reps?:help: :tape: :lol: :rolleyes:

TonyP
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
So many players have been written off on this forum, it is surprising anyone stands a chance of winning anything.

Sharapova has already won two slams. I guess she must stand some chance of winning a third, especially on grass, which suits her game. At 20, she is probably not done yet. Whatever kind of sophomore slump she is going through will come to an end in all likihood.

Princeza
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Anna K to win :rocker2:

KBdoubleu
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
vaidisova just come from winning???? no where was it she last won:scratch::lol: :help: :tape: :rolleyes:

go hold hands with sugarcoated it needs a friend:lol:

Ummm I never mentioned Vaidisova winning a tournament...and Maria hasn't won a tournament this year either by the way. A player doesn't have to have won a title to be in better form than Maria right now.

go hold hands with sugarcoated it needs a friend-no idea what that means

By the way I'm not insinuating that Maria wouldn't be favored over Jankovic/Vaidisova, but they have more than a good shot to take her out at Wimbledon given their current form.

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Well I suppose she would be one of the favourites, but I think you could put Justine, Serena, Venus and Amelie above her.

Venus' shape is a bit better than Maria's at the moment, plus she has a better grass game than Maria.

Maria beat Venus just a few weeks ago-- since then, Venus has lost handily to Golovin and also lost to Jankovic.

Maria's taking some time off to get her body together.

Mikey B
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM
i think so... if she can play and is healthy then she a contender for any tournament... but it will be interesting to see how her body is holding up after all the problems this year.. still got a couple of months before wimbly so i think she'll be back and ready to fight again...

tennisIlove09
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM
sharapova still has a chance at EVERY event she enters. so yes, she is a contender at Wimbledon 2007. And she will be until either 1 - she withdraws or 2 - she loses.

Direwolf
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
yup...
she is still a contender at any non-clay court event she enters...

saki
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Even without her serve, she should be a semi-finalist. Unless she got a really awful draw.

With her serve, she's right up there. If Serena is healthy at Wimbledon, she's the odds on favourite. But Maria would probably be second favourite, there's not much to choose between her and Justine on grass.

IceSkaTennisFan
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I think the switch to grass will help her. She's taken some time off that will hopefully help her to regroup after some tough losses. She's a good fighter. She should get a pretty good draw at Wimbledon, so I think she'll get to the QF at least.

Tennisaddict
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I don´t think Maria´s best surface is grass. I think her best surface is hardcourt. She looks more dangerous on hardcourt than on grass.

I think she will be a contender though at Wimbledon if she heals up in time.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I definitely think shes a contender for it all. its quite obvious her serve needs to be on though even then shes a good bet

frontier
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
pova has a chance based on her record at wimbledon but there are several players who can take her out who are great grass court players like momo a versatile player comes to mind,serena has good record against maria so far,venus is unpredictable ,justine has been in 2 finals at wimbledon.if she is still in this slump well,anybody will take out like camille pin.
This year wimbledon will really be competetive there is an army of hungry big titleless players.everyone knows they can make a name for themselves at wimbledon.i think targets at wimbledon will be serena pova momo justine anyone who beats them will make a name for themselves.

TennisGuy21
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I think Maria would still defeat Janka and Vaidisova.. But it would make for a very good quarters match, and who knows.. Vaidisova may be able to beat her. I just dont think Maria is going to loose to one of these people. She really only has trouble with people who hit her off the court, and I am not worried about Janka hitting anyone off.

bandabou
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM
of course she is..this is waaaayyyyy too early to tell. Maria has taken some hits recently, but just as Serena has risen from the ashes...I guess so can Maria too no..?? :shrug:

PaulHopkins
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah I definitely think so, I'd still put Sharapova as second favourite provided she is fit enough by then.

goldenlox
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM
No one knows who will be healthy for Wimbledon. Nobody was picking Sharapova in April 2004. No one was picking Mauresmo last April. Venus had just lost to Sesil in 2005 RG.
A lot can happen, and a surprise winner is very possible.

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Maria beat Venus just a few weeks ago-- since then, Venus has lost handily to Golovin and also lost to Jankovic.

Maria's taking some time off to get her body together.

Yes but Venus let the match slip out of her hands, she destroyed herself with errors, ditto against Jankovic. If she can fix herself before Wimbledon, I think she has more of a chance than Sharapova.

schorsch
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Yes but Venus let the match slip out of her hands, she destroyed herself with errors, ditto against Jankovic. If she can fix herself before Wimbledon, I think she has more of a chance than Sharapova.

blablabla :mad: that's just lame.

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah I definitely think so, I'd still put Sharapova as second favourite provided she is fit enough by then.

off topic, but you have a very beautiful avatar of elena. ;)

PaulHopkins
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:42 PM
off topic, but you have a very beautiful avatar of elena. ;)

Thankyou :p She is a true goddess :D I just hope she can be on court as well this year ;)

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:43 PM
blablabla :mad: that's just lame.

Well it's my opinion so there :p

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Thankyou :p She is a true goddess :D I just hope she can be on court as well this year ;)

Wow! I must say I agree, I didn't even recognise Elena in your sig, I thought it was some Tsarina or something :lol:

Go Elena :bounce:

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Let's face it. Maria's poor form this year has been an aberration from the norm, and Venus's form has been what we have all expected. Maria was the hot player from the US Open until the end of last year. If either of those two are going to be cutting down the errors in time to win big, it's probably going to be the 20 year old Sharapova who's taking a few weeks away from the game to get her body together before she goes for the big tournaments.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
at this point, NO

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Let's face it. Maria's poor form this year has been an aberration from the norm, and Venus's form has been what we have all expected. Maria was the hot player from the US Open until the end of last year. If either of those two are going to be cutting down the errors in time to win big, it's probably going to be the 20 year old Sharapova who's taking a few weeks away from the game to get her body together before she goes for the big tournaments.

Well I can understand what you're saying. But I would still put my money on the hat trick Wimbledon Champion.

Venus has been getting better and better with each match and now she's sorted out that wrist I think it will continue :bounce:

goldenlox
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Usually, one of the favorites doesn't win. Except when Justine won last year's RG, it's been players who weren't favorites winning most of the majors.
That's going back to Myskina in 2004. Very few of the favorites are coming through.

thrust
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Only if she is at her very best and Serena, Venus, and Justine aren^t.

PaulHopkins
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I guess we have a long clay season ahead and who knows who will come through it unscaved. Sharapova probably will though considering she's out at the moment.

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Usually, one of the favorites doesn't win. Except when Justine won last year's RG, it's been players who weren't favorites winning most of the majors.
That's going back to Myskina in 2004. Very few of the favorites are coming through.

That's pretty true. Although I think Sharapova was the favorite to win the US Open last year.

Tennisation
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
That's pretty true. Although I think Sharapova was the favorite to win the US Open last year.considering she have never beaten Amelie and haven't beaten Justine since the first time Justine came back from injury at Miami, I don't think she was the favorite heading into last year's US Open. On another note, Sharapova is always a contender in any event she enters no matter what her form is.

faboozadoo15
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM
considering she have never beaten Amelie and haven't beaten Justine since the first time Justine came back from injury at Miami, I don't think she was the favorite heading into last year's US Open. On another note, Sharapova is always a contender in any event she enters no matter what her form is.

I guess I have to agree here somewhat. For whatever reason, I thought Sharapova had played more than just two warmup events. (She should never play the San Diego and LA in the same year, but that's another issue). But she had solved the Kim riddle on hardcourts and won the biggest title. Justine and Amelie hadn't played at all until New Haven, where Amelie flamed out and Justine won the title.

LindsayRulz
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:54 PM
If she can serve as she did in the past yes.

bellascarlett
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM
That's pretty true. Although I think Sharapova was the favorite to win the US Open last year.

Yes, I remember Maria being favorite (or co-favorite) to win the title especially after she beat Kim in San Diego who was considered the strongest on HC that time because of her record in 2005. A lot of journalists/posters picked her to win the USO last year iirc.

wtatennisballer
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM
No, Sharapova is not a contender if Venus and Serena show up healthy. But neither will anyone else in that scenario.

Venus is not getting enough comeback credit . She too has been improving every tournament like Serena and training hard . Since her loss to Sharapova in Miami, she went 7-1 in her next 8 matches leading up to her match with Jankovic in Charleston and you could see improvement in her movement. Venus has won 3 Wimbledon titles and will be there waiting for Sharapova .

Does Anyone out there think Venus is a contender for Wimbledon again? I see an all Williams Semifinal or Championship match this year.

trufanjay
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Right now she is not but who knows what will happen. If Venus and Serena go into Wimbledon playing well then Sharapova will have no chance. Even a sharp Justine and Mauresmo will lower her chances because the both of them can beat Maria on grass.

Mightymirza
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM

THE favorite???:spit: :lol: She is one of the favorites agreed but THE favorite??

trufanjay
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Sharapova will never be THE favorite to win Wimbledon when Venus, Serena, Justine and Amelie are playing well. Or even two or three of the four.

Dan23
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:14 AM
haha this question even needs to be asked?

switz
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM
of course she is a contender. any pasgt champion is. the reality is though that if Serena is fit there is really only likely to be one winner.

LH2HBH
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:41 AM
She's certainly a contender! Probably top 5 on the list of contenders! But she's not a lock for the final like some people thought in '05 and in '06. There is just too many other real contenders!

Also too, her best surface is hard, IMO!

faboozadoo15
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:13 AM
No, Sharapova is not a contender if Venus and Serena show up healthy. But neither will anyone else in that scenario.

Venus is not getting enough comeback credit . She too has been improving every tournament like Serena and training hard . Since her loss to Sharapova in Miami, she went 7-1 in her next 8 matches leading up to her match with Jankovic in Charleston and you could see improvement in her movement. Venus has won 3 Wimbledon titles and will be there waiting for Sharapova .

Does Anyone out there think Venus is a contender for Wimbledon again? I see an all Williams Semifinal or Championship match this year.

Venus hasn't done anything this year besides win a tiny tournament. She's beaten a few players before she got beaten by Sharapova, and she's beaten a few players after. She lost handily to Golovin and in a good match to Jankovic. She hasn't beaten a top10 or 15 player all year.

trufanjay
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Venus hasn't done anything this year besides win a tiny tournament. She's beaten a few players before she got beaten by Sharapova, and she's beaten a few players after. She lost handily to Golovin and in a good match to Jankovic. She hasn't beaten a top10 or 15 player all year.
So what's your point?

Venus showed up at Wimbledon in 2005 with terrible prior results and won the whole thing. Venus also played well at Wimbledon last year until she lost to Jankovic. It's obvious that Venus will have the opportunity to win Wimbledon as long as she is playing. Grass is Venus' best surface. Just like if Justine were to enter the French Open with less than average results she would still be considered a favorite because she shines at Roland Garros. No matter what happens between now and Wimbledon, a healthy Venus will be a contender. Sharapova will be a contender as well even though she won't win a tournament before Wimbledon.

alias
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I would rank in order to win Wimbleon

Sharapova
Serena
Venus
Henin
Mauresmo

Darkhorses
Vaidisova
Kuznetsova

trufanjay
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:34 AM

Sharapova
Serena
Venus
Henin
Mauresmo

Darkhorses
Vaidisova
Kuznetsova
Are you serious!

That list is so bias.

Dan23
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Are you serious!

That list is so bias.
No more biased than many other posts in here ;)

trufanjay
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:37 AM
No more biased than many other posts in here ;)
That may be true, but I call them as I see them. :)

veesbest
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:57 AM
no way with having to fight with her game and the rest of the field is going to be very tough
my favs for wimbledon are serena, venus, and amelie can't really place any one else into this equation!!

friendsita
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:03 AM
wimbledon is the slam where masha has best chances

MS_FP
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:44 AM
The Goddess of the Grasscourts will ALWAYS be a factor :D

jazar
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
she will always be a contender

Rome
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Sharapova
Serena
Venus
Henin
Mauresmo

Darkhorses
Vaidisova
Kuznetsova

Yeah less hope Sharapova is not in Serena Half of the draw lol

So Disrespectful
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm no Maria fan, but it would be stupid not to name her as a contender, no matter what her form is like. Her game can still carry her deep into the tournament. Even with the burden of 10+ double faults per match, there are still only a handful of players who can challenge her.

bandabou
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM
hmmm...plus, fan of Vee and all...but she needs to start beating those top 10/15 players asap. Has been waaaayyyyy too long since she beat a top 10 player.heck, she can't even beat this Maria...yeah,yeah Vee made errors..but still.

cypher_88
Apr 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
So what's your point?

Venus showed up at Wimbledon in 2005 with terrible prior results and won the whole thing. Venus also played well at Wimbledon last year until she lost to Jankovic. It's obvious that Venus will have the opportunity to win Wimbledon as long as she is playing. Grass is Venus' best surface. Just like if Justine were to enter the French Open with less than average results she would still be considered a favorite because she shines at Roland Garros. No matter what happens between now and Wimbledon, a healthy Venus will be a contender. Sharapova will be a contender as well even though she won't win a tournament before Wimbledon.

so beating Raymond in three hard sets is part of her "good" game at last year's wimby :lol: :lol: !! but it is true, never count her out. and about Sharapova..... well Wimbledon isn't a given not even for a healthy Serena, so why shouldn't Masha have her chances??

Andy.
Apr 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
If she can get over her injury she will definatly be a contender.

santhuruu
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
You can never count out Sharapova, she is such a fighter, and she never gives up, and the grasscourts suits her game very well, and she can finish of the point very quick! I can also see Sharapova do wonderfull things on the claycourt. I hope she will get as much match play as she can at the claycourts and then hopefully she will have found the matchtoughness before Wimbledon, which I'm sure she will find:)

Monica_Rules
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Of course she is, she has a great record here and shes reached the last 2 grandslam finals.

If the draw has them on oppoasite sides i see a Sharapova vs Serena final.

nelsondan
Apr 27th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I think Maria has gone through an amazing period of her life which is about to come to an end, if it has not already.

She has been playing an extremely high level of tennis at the same time her body has been going through the changes planned for her by mother nature. She has reached her maximum height, and though weight can always fluctuate, she has recently gone through the final stages of how much she will weigh and how it will be distributed when she is working out and staying fit. Barring injury, this should allow her to perfect the way she moves and attacks and reacts.

I think it is possible she will have an amazing 5 year period which might start with Wimbledon, or which might come later.

ico4498
Apr 27th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Maria is one of the top contenders.