PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Iva?

Johny
Jun 30th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Did you see her playing schedule from Wimbledon until US Open? She will play Helsinki (Tier 5 :eek: ) and week after that Montreal (like she will do much due to jet lag) and she is second in the qualies for New Haven.
She won't play any of the tier 2 tourney and she wants to be in top 10 at the end of the year. That is funny!

Your comments?

TS
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:16 AM
A very weird schedule indeed :confused:

Im a bit annoyed that she chose not to play in either San Diego or LA. At least one of them. Helsinki just doesn't make any sense?? This will not do much for her ranking, at best she will propably have to win it, to make a dent toward the top 20. I think she will make it to the main draw in New Haven, so thats a good move going there...but I just dont understand Helsinki. Maybe she wants to visit Finland? lol

Also, if Iva wants to be top 10 she is going to have to lift her 'mental' game. I saw her just throw away her match yesterday and I wasnt happy :( She can definately do it...she just needs to believe in herself more. I think there is no doubt that she will make top 20. She has next to nothing to defend til New York, so hopefully some good performances will hold her in good stead.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 1st, 2002, 01:36 AM
I thought Iva would play a few more tournis than this and especially some of the Tier 2's? I hope that taping on her leg is nothing serious! Iva tends to enter late into a lot of tournis, so I won't be surprised if she gets a Wild Card or two. I hope she can do well at all of these tournis!!! Go Iva!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 1st, 2002, 02:34 AM
...maybe this schedule will work to Iva's advantage! She has nothing to defend in this period of time from last year besides a 1st round loss at Vienna, and a second round loss at the Canadian Open. Looks like she may be taking a little break to rest up and get ready to play well during the hard court season.

Iva should move to #24 on Monday with 1181 points (tenniscorner.net)!!!!!!

Also Helsinki is actually a Tier 4, so the winner will gain 95 points plus quality points. So a win there would put Iva inside the Top 20!!! A few good wins at Montreal could give Iva a chance at being inside the Top 16 before the Open!!!

I'm a little more concerned about what she does after the Open because she does need to defend her finals appearance at Quebec, 2nd round appearances at Bahia, Zurich, and Linz, and she also has a few points from 1st round losses at Leipzig and Stuttgart. All in all though, Iva has a real chance to move up with her results at these tournis.

Iva may want to get into the Top 10 by the end of the year (and I would love her to do this also!), but I am really hoping she can just make the end-of-year championships in L.A.!!!

Zl@tko
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Iva needs only one thing - cofidence! But she cant't get her confidence back with this schedule. I don't understand why she doesn't want to play Stanford, L.A. or San Diego. She could play at least one of these tournaments. Then, with Montreal and New Haven it could be good preparation for the Open.

And playing Helsinki??? That's not for her, she's ranked 20something and she wants to play Tier IV ??? OMG Why?

IVA, WAKE UP!!!!

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Her schedule seems a bit weird, but honestly it could work out to her benefit, especially if she can do well in Helsinki. We will have to wait and see and just be the supportive Diva's in the background. I wish I knew some more about why her leg was taped at Wimby- it better not be anything serious!!!

Get some rest Iva, then storm back in the hardcourt season!!!! Even if Iva doesn't do that well during this part of the year, her indoor season could still be great and move her ranking up. Let's just wait and see what happens....

TS
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Yep lets just wait and see ;) hehe

Anyway, Im quite optimistic for the rest of the year :) I am confident she will make the top 20. She just has to stay focused throughout her matches!

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:15 AM
I'm keeping the faith too Terry!!! I am quite out of the loop on the Fed Cup, but I imagine Iva will play there too. I'll check that out and see what I can find out.
The year is just beginning for IVA!!!!

Master Lu
Jul 14th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Well, she's gonna be 23rd tomorrow. :) And they say the rankings are not weird... :P
Anyway, we'll see how long that will last.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:35 PM
That's as high as Iva has been in a long while!!!! Just 7 spots away from getting to #16 and my dream of having Iva make the year-end Championships!!!!
Hopefully she'll perform well in Fed Cup next week and get some good match play in.

Master Lu
Jul 14th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Getting to #16 won't directly get her into the Championship. There's a separate ranking just for the current year that WTA (just like ATP) keeps that decides the attendants. Iva's about 5 or 6 places behind, with around 200 points to make up on other players, IIRC.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Yes- you are right, but usually by the end of the year it evens out and the Champions points standings is usually about the same as the Sanex rankings. Iva is currently at #22 in the "Race to the Championships," but a lot could happen before now and then. I think the most critical part of the year will be for Iva to have some good results in the Indoor hardcourt tounis after the Open. That's when she could really gain points. She will hopefully gain some points in Helsinki too and who knows what will happen with Montreal and New Haven. A 4th round or better finish at the Open would be great too!

TS
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Well good news about the new ranking :) Her best since her comeback! I definately think making the WTA championships is an achievable goal...but she wont make it if she sticks to the level she's at now...she needs to rekindle the Charleston flame and step it up a notch!! At the moment she's languishing as your usual 20-30 player...like a Kremer or Panova....she needs to surpass this level and break through once again. Like you said xcourt, the Indoor season at the end of the year is crucial...once upon a time this was one of her most successful periods of a season...last year she had some good results there, but not good enough to make any serious threat. I hope she makes the most of the position she is now! Cos she is definately in a good position to strike, lets just hope she can follow through!

Monica_Rules
Jul 19th, 2002, 10:27 AM
I just hope she stays healthy!

I'm sure she can win Helsinki and enter the top 20 and have some good results in Montreal!and New Haven and the US open she should be a solid Top 20 by then!