PDA

View Full Version : Henin keeping focus on another Paris crown

goldenlox
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Henin keeping focus on another Paris crown

Matthew Cronin / Special to FOXSports.com
Justine Henin has had her share of troubles in recent years, but she's not dwelling on the past.

Henin has been the world's most accomplished clay courter since 2003, when she won the first of her three French Open titles, and her focus is entirely on the court as the schedule rolls toward Roland Garros.

"I just live for now," she said. "I'm not in the past anymore. And the fact is that I try to enjoy every moment, even if I've been in trouble physically. 2007 is different for me. I just try to enjoy every moment of my life. Not try to project myself too far in the future and forget a little bit of what happened in the past."
Three years ago, Henin contracted a debilitating virus that forced her into bed for months. Before she got sick, she grinded week after week without fear that her toned body would let her down. But it's been a lot different since she returned in late 2004, as she's well aware of the fact that if she pushes herself too much, she's prone to a major breakdown.
After failing to capitalize on match points in a dramatic three-set loss to Serena Williams in the 2007 Miami final, she pulled out of tournament, complaining of breathing problems.
Henin is smart and picks her spots. Last year, she managed to reach all four Grand Slam finals, losing three, but displaying an incredible versatility and consistency. She has a deep understanding of her body and what she needs to do to take care of it. She won't be forced into competing in lesser tournaments when she thinks that she might be putting major title runs at risk.
But Henin is also struggling mentally and emotionally, trying to find the proper mix in her life. She's had a rough year off-court, deciding in January to separate from her husband of four years, Pierre Yves Hardenne.
So she took a mental break, skipping the Australian Open to cope with the split. But once she came to terms with what occurred, she strode purposely back onto the court, winning titles in Doha and Dubai and then reaching the Miami final.
"I feel lucky to do what I love so much," Henin said. "I feel lucky to take my decisions and try to move forward. I feel very happy about that now."
The little dynamo from Liege, Belgium, has also become a terrific all-around player in the last three years, winning Grand Slams on two other surfaces — in New York and Melbourne — and reaching the Wimbledon final twice.
Poll

But it's been on clay where she has done the most damage, and once again the top-ranked Henin is the favorite to take her fair share of the major crowns.
While it has largely been Henin's ability to amp her power game that has aided her on hardcourts and on grass, it's her movement and variety that has made her the queen of Paris. She doesn't have to go out of her comfort zone on clay.
The physically fragile Belgian is scheduled to play Warsaw next week, and the German Open the week after. She'll then skip the Tier One Italian Open, the most important warm-up tournament to Roland Garros, because she's careful about over-extending herself.
Tennis is the one pursuit where she's not left wondering if she should have bothered to participate. She has a deep comprehension of the Xs and Os and knows if she designs the right strategy and executes, she'll be successful more times than not.
That doesn't always happen in marriage, with family or in friendships, as she recently discovered with her husband and has found out on numerous occasions in her on-again, off-again relationship with fellow Belgian player Kim Clijsters.
But like her heroine, the great Steffi Graf, Henin knows where her refuge is — in between the white lines.
The 24-year-old Henin would be truly pleased if she went down in history as one of the greatest ever, but would likely be satisfied if she ended up being the best of her generation. She owns five Grand Slam titles while Serena owns eight. With Venus Williams, they are the three best players of this millennium. But Venus has taken a step backward since winning her fifth Slam title at 2005 Wimbledon. Henin has pushed on and Serena has revived again in a big way, winning the two biggest titles of 2007, the Australian open and Miami.
Henin knows that if healthy, Serena will be her greatest rival at the French Open, even if it's Serena's worst surface. The two have a rich history in Paris, as it was the Belgian who stopped the Serena Slam in back in 2003 in a highly controversial semifinal that had defending champion Williams accuse her of cheating.
Nearly four years later, the two seemed to have put aside the incident and after the Miami final, both spoke of the tremendous respect hat they had for the other player.
"The relationship is very good now," Henin said. "We have a lot of respect for each other. We proved it during the match. We both have a lot of qualities, and we both agree that we are very good players. So what happened in the past is far away from now. A lot of things happened since that. And she has very nice words to me, and I think I have a lot of respect for everything she's doing. We can make the difference between what's happening on the court and off the court, so that's good."
That does not mean that Henin will wrap her Roland Garros crown with a red ribbon and hand it to Serena upon arrival. The French Open title is by far Henin's most cherished possession and once she reached the final, she's been the key master, unlocking the door, walking into the stadium and slamming the gate shut if her foe's face. In her three title runs, she's lost all of 14 games. Emotionally wounded or not, Henin believes that she's the mentally toughest player on the planet. Serena may beg to differ, but she's had more meltdowns on Parisian clay than she's had successes. Unless she gets hurt, Henin will be the player to beat on clay this season. And for the first time in years, she'll be playing not just to satisfy herself, but those who have supported her over the years. "I love tennis so much because it brings me a lot of emotions," she said. "That's my biggest motivation. It gives me emotions, it gives emotions to people I love, to my fans, and that's why I play tennis now."

mykarma
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Henin keeping focus on another Paris crown

Matthew Cronin / Special to FOXSports.com
Justine Henin has had her share of troubles in recent years, but she's not dwelling on the past.

Henin has been the world's most accomplished clay courter since 2003, when she won the first of her three French Open titles, and her focus is entirely on the court as the schedule rolls toward Roland Garros.

"I just live for now," she said. "I'm not in the past anymore. And the fact is that I try to enjoy every moment, even if I've been in trouble physically. 2007 is different for me. I just try to enjoy every moment of my life. Not try to project myself too far in the future and forget a little bit of what happened in the past."
Three years ago, Henin contracted a debilitating virus that forced her into bed for months. Before she got sick, she grinded week after week without fear that her toned body would let her down. But it's been a lot different since she returned in late 2004, as she's well aware of the fact that if she pushes herself too much, she's prone to a major breakdown.
After failing to capitalize on match points in a dramatic three-set loss to Serena Williams in the 2007 Miami final, she pulled out of tournament, complaining of breathing problems.
Henin is smart and picks her spots. Last year, she managed to reach all four Grand Slam finals, losing three, but displaying an incredible versatility and consistency. She has a deep understanding of her body and what she needs to do to take care of it. She won't be forced into competing in lesser tournaments when she thinks that she might be putting major title runs at risk.
But Henin is also struggling mentally and emotionally, trying to find the proper mix in her life. She's had a rough year off-court, deciding in January to separate from her husband of four years, Pierre Yves Hardenne.
So she took a mental break, skipping the Australian Open to cope with the split. But once she came to terms with what occurred, she strode purposely back onto the court, winning titles in Doha and Dubai and then reaching the Miami final.
"I feel lucky to do what I love so much," Henin said. "I feel lucky to take my decisions and try to move forward. I feel very happy about that now."
The little dynamo from Liege, Belgium, has also become a terrific all-around player in the last three years, winning Grand Slams on two other surfaces — in New York and Melbourne — and reaching the Wimbledon final twice.
Poll

But it's been on clay where she has done the most damage, and once again the top-ranked Henin is the favorite to take her fair share of the major crowns.
While it has largely been Henin's ability to amp her power game that has aided her on hardcourts and on grass, it's her movement and variety that has made her the queen of Paris. She doesn't have to go out of her comfort zone on clay.
The physically fragile Belgian is scheduled to play Warsaw next week, and the German Open the week after. She'll then skip the Tier One Italian Open, the most important warm-up tournament to Roland Garros, because she's careful about over-extending herself.
Tennis is the one pursuit where she's not left wondering if she should have bothered to participate. She has a deep comprehension of the Xs and Os and knows if she designs the right strategy and executes, she'll be successful more times than not.
That doesn't always happen in marriage, with family or in friendships, as she recently discovered with her husband and has found out on numerous occasions in her on-again, off-again relationship with fellow Belgian player Kim Clijsters.
But like her heroine, the great Steffi Graf, Henin knows where her refuge is — in between the white lines.
The 24-year-old Henin would be truly pleased if she went down in history as one of the greatest ever, but would likely be satisfied if she ended up being the best of her generation. She owns five Grand Slam titles while Serena owns eight. With Venus Williams, they are the three best players of this millennium. But Venus has taken a step backward since winning her fifth Slam title at 2005 Wimbledon. Henin has pushed on and Serena has revived again in a big way, winning the two biggest titles of 2007, the Australian open and Miami.
Henin knows that if healthy, Serena will be her greatest rival at the French Open, even if it's Serena's worst surface. The two have a rich history in Paris, as it was the Belgian who stopped the Serena Slam in back in 2003 in a highly controversial semifinal that had defending champion Williams accuse her of cheating.
Nearly four years later, the two seemed to have put aside the incident and after the Miami final, both spoke of the tremendous respect hat they had for the other player.
"The relationship is very good now," Henin said. "We have a lot of respect for each other. We proved it during the match. We both have a lot of qualities, and we both agree that we are very good players. So what happened in the past is far away from now. A lot of things happened since that. And she has very nice words to me, and I think I have a lot of respect for everything she's doing. We can make the difference between what's happening on the court and off the court, so that's good."
That does not mean that Henin will wrap her Roland Garros crown with a red ribbon and hand it to Serena upon arrival. The French Open title is by far Henin's most cherished possession and once she reached the final, she's been the key master, unlocking the door, walking into the stadium and slamming the gate shut if her foe's face. In her three title runs, she's lost all of 14 games. Emotionally wounded or not, Henin believes that she's the mentally toughest player on the planet. Serena may beg to differ, but she's had more meltdowns on Parisian clay than she's had successes. Unless she gets hurt, Henin will be the player to beat on clay this season. And for the first time in years, she'll be playing not just to satisfy herself, but those who have supported her over the years. "I love tennis so much because it brings me a lot of emotions," she said. "That's my biggest motivation. It gives me emotions, it gives emotions to people I love, to my fans, and that's why I play tennis now."
Nice post.

V-MAC
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Nice to see how the article notices that Vee, Juju and Serena are the top 3 players of their generation :worship:

MistyGrey
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Allez Justine!

Pureracket
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Nice to see how the article notices that Vee, Juju and Serena are the top 3 players of their generation :worship:Well..... are Vee and JH really the top players when Serena is discussed?

frontier
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
its going to be hard for justine to win this year because there are more contenders,hingis has a chance because her nemesis is not playing,momo wants to prove she can win before the home crowd,kuzzy wants to do better than last year serena and venus and an army of " hungry for a big title "players.

TennisGuy21
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Justine will probably choke and loose early, just like she did in 2004...

Martian KC
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Err.......she was ill. She had no right to even play in that condition.

Pureracket
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Wasn't she sick or something in that match? I'm not sure if she choked.

Tennisaddict
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I disagree about the part when Justine gets to the final she´s tough to beat.
Kuznetsova and Pierce did nothing to expose any mental toughness. Henin was looking very tense as well but her opponents were even worse.

So it´s interesting to see how she wil hold up against Serena or Venus if they make the final. She will really have to work for the title than. And I don´t think she´s the toughest competitor or will end up the best of her generation.
That´s Serena´s already.

bandabou
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hmm...nice article. Henin's the fav, I mean she's the two-time defending champ..most RG-titles out of all active players...so it's gonna take something special to beat her on the surface. Would be awesome if they were to meet on the clay: Serena vs Justine..the greatest two of their generation...or is it still Venus?

VishaalMaria
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Hmm...nice article. Henin's the fav, I mean she's the two-time defending champ..most RG-titles out of all active players...so it's gonna take something special to beat her on the surface. Would be awesome if they were to meet on the clay: Serena vs Justine..the greatest two of their generation...or is it still Venus?

Well that's why Venus needs to get her butt into gear. She knows she can be one of the best but at times she doesnt produce it. However, I'm hopeful for the rest of the year.

BTW, nice article. I really hope that there is a Venus V Justine match or Serena V Justine match at Roland Garros!

Craigy
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM

:weirdo:

starin
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
welll i'd like to wait until Justine actually plays a single match on clay before we jump to conclusions. I only hope Venus gets her act together by RG. She's never done well there, even in her prime so I'd like to see her find her form there for once.

Wayn77
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Good interview.

Sounds like The JuJuinator is ready to kick some ass on the dirt. :bounce:

saki
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Kuznetsova and Pierce did nothing to expose any mental toughness. Henin was looking very tense as well but her opponents were even worse.

Pierce completely froze in the final, it's true, but Kuznetsova didn't. There wasn't much between them in that final but Justine was ruthless in getting the critical breaks of serve. In the second set, she broke and was then broken back but didn't let that panic her and she broke again to wrap up the match.

I agree that she has yet to face a really on form opponent in the final, though. Part of this, however, is that Justine is such a natural on the dirt that she makes other players look ordinary. In the Fed Cup tie against Russia on the clay, Lena D was in good form, beat Kim (which is no mean feat especially in Belgium, but Justine completely destroyed her.

VishaalMaria
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Pierce completely froze in the final, it's true, but Kuznetsova didn't. There wasn't much between them in that final but Justine was ruthless in getting the critical breaks of serve. In the second set, she broke and was then broken back but didn't let that panic her and she broke again to wrap up the match.

I agree that she has yet to face a really on form opponent in the final, though. Part of this, however, is that Justine is such a natural on the dirt that she makes other players look ordinary. In the Fed Cup tie against Russia on the clay, Lena D was in good form, beat Kim (which is no mean feat especially in Belgium, but Justine completely destroyed her.

The thing was, Justine didn't even have to play her best in those finals because she was streets ahead in mental toughness than Pierce and Kuzentsova. Wait for Justine to meet someone just as mental tough, or mentally tougher, than her. Then it'll get good.

pigmalion
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM

:lol:

Allez Justine :devil:

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:25 PM
A Serena/Justine final would be so great. Hope they are both healthy and in good form on the red stuff.

tennisIlove09
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
A fully fit and healthy Justine will be very very very hard to beat in Paris. I wouldnt bet my money against her ... even if Serena is playing well :o

If both are playing good ball, a match up would be most interesting.

Yonexforever
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Isnt the Tier I Italian Open mandatory for top players?
I thought these were like the Masters Series for the men where all top players are automatically entered barring injury?

griffin
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Isnt the Tier I Italian Open mandatory for top players?
I thought these were like the Masters Series for the men where all top players are automatically entered barring injury?

They aren't mandatory for the WTA yet - although they will be, according to the infamous "roadmap"

thrust
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM
The German Open is also a tier 1 event. Rome was the main tune up to the FO before Graf and Becker came onto the scene. Today, both are equally important.

Rafael Mourinho
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
That how you know Henin think she won't win. When she say she will. Any players says this mean think they won't.

Lucyxx
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Says all the right things after divorce, but remains to be seen if she's a real contender on clay with all the fresh talent on the rise this year.

Yonexforever
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:53 PM
They aren't mandatory for the WTA yet - although they will be, according to the infamous "roadmap"

Ahhhhhh I see.. well I dunno bout the rest of the road map, but I'm all for manadatory entry at all Tier I events.

Nicolás89
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:53 PM
i think she can do it again :D

faste5683
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM

:confused:

faste5683
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
The thing was, Justine didn't even have to play her best in those finals because she was streets ahead in mental toughness than Pierce and Kuzentsova. Wait for Justine to meet someone just as mental tough, or mentally tougher, than her. Then it'll get good.

How many people are tougher than Justine on clay? Mentally or metaphysically?

VishaalMaria
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
How many people are tougher than Justine on clay? Mentally or metaphysically?

Well I really feel Serena is the only player mentally tougher than Justine on any surface including clay. Physically, judging from recent pictures, Serena is in better condition but she needs to be in more or less perfect condition to win against Justine.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Henin is smart and picks her spots. ..She has a deep understanding of her body and what she needs to do to take care of it. She won't be forced into competing in lesser tournaments when she thinks that she might be putting major title runs at risk.

:rolleyes: Serena does the same thing and she's ridiculed and vilified for it. JuJu does it, and she's "smart" :rolleyes:

it was the Belgian who stopped the Serena Slam in back in 2003

The "Serena Slam" had ALREADY been ACCOMPLISHED, ie, '02 French, '02 Wimby, '02 USO, '03 AO!

Cronin- once again- has proven himself to be a hypocritical, hack!

Hots4Safin
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Nice article. Damn I want Venus to win number 6 before Justine does though!

Mightymirza
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
:rolleyes: Serena does the same thing and she's ridiculed and vilified for it. JuJu does it, and she's "smart" :rolleyes:

The "Serena Slam" had ALREADY been ACCOMPLISHED, ie, '02 French, '02 Wimby, '02 USO, '03 AO!

Cronin- once again- has proven himself to be a hypocritical, hack!

Serena Hardly plays any tournaments(apart from slams and Miani :lol: )!! :shrug: Justine definatley plays them smart so far.(hope serena plays more too )

Well they dint say Ms Henin stopped Serena slam from happening they mean she stopped it from being something greater..:shrug: :rolleyes: like to take offence out of nothing eh?? :wavey:

Dexter
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Allez! :bigclap:

mauresmofan
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I can't really see Justine being stopped on a clay court. Her defense, offense, movement, power and versatility are ideal for the surface and her only weak point is occassionally her serve can go off but when push comes to shove she usually gets things right!

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I can't really see Justine being stopped on a clay court. Her defense, offense, movement, power and versatility are ideal for the surface and her only weak point is occassionally her serve can go off but when push comes to shove she usually gets things right!

While I do agree, I think it's an interesting point that she hasn't really been pushed at RG in her last two title runs.

It will certainly be interesting to see how she copes if she is put under pressure.

When she played Serena there in 2003 she was the mentally stronger of the two and held her game together so well. I think it may be a little different for her as the defending champion and favourite. She can let the pressure get to her sometimes.

Mightymirza
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:34 PM
While I do agree, I think it's an interesting point that she hasn't really been pushed at RG in her last two title runs.

It will certainly be interesting to see how she copes if she is put under pressure.

When she played Serena there in 2003 she was the mentally stronger of the two and held her game together so well. I think it may be a little different for her as the defending champion and favourite. She can let the pressure get to her sometimes.

That is veryy true..:o Look at Miami final..:tape: but at Miami she was happy just to be in the finals for the first time..:lol: Allez Juju get the RG crown again :rocker2:

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Its Justine's clay court season. Its been hers for many years. I don't see that changing this year.

Olórin
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Its Justine's clay court season. Its been hers for many years. I don't see that changing this year.

Well actually it was Nadia Petrova's last year...until RG :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM
henin is definitely a great on clay, but this year, it's serena's turn :)

Bijoux0021
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM

The fact was Justine cheated, lied and the whole crowd was againts Serena. If Justine was truly "mentally stronger," she wouldn't feel the need to engage in gamesmanshinps in order to win. Those were not normal circumstances for Serena.

VishaalMaria
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM
:rolleyes: like to take offence out of nothing eh?? :wavey:

No! He/She was just pointing out the obvious; Serena completed the "Serena slam" before Justine cheated.

b_o_r
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Justine is by far the favorite. She just moves so well on clay. I think the big hitters only stand a chance if the weather plays a factor. Hopefully, it will be dry and hot, allowing the ball to move throught the court faster.:angel:

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
The fact was Justine cheated, lied and the whole crowd was againts Serena. If Justine was truly "mentally stronger," she wouldn't feel the need to engage in gamesmanshinps in order to win. Those were not normal circumstances for Serena.
Why is that everytime a positive thread about Justine pops up, the lowest common denominator of the Williams fans in this forum always appears to poo-poo the thread?

goldenlox
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM
The Williams trolls are just idiots. Very stupid, very predictable.

Bijoux0021
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Why is that everytime a positive thread about Justine pops up, the lowest common denominator of the Williams fans in this forum always appears to poo-poo the thread?
Don't blame Williams fans. Blame Justine for poo-pooed on her own character that day by cheating and lying.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Don't blame Williams fans. Blame Justine for poo-pooed on her own character that day by cheating and lying.
Kinda like Richard and Serena on trial, live on Court TV? You've got a lot of nerve talking about Justine's character, when your fav has absolutely ZERO when it comes to testifying under oath.:rolleyes:

frontier
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:23 PM
justine and serena seemed to have resolved their deferences and have moved on.
this year is not going to be easy because there are lots of claycourt players who can easily win this title.RG has always had an out of nowhere winner and who knows maybe a young unknown claycourter will mature during the tournament.the season is going to be telling about who has the goods.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM
No! He/She was just pointing out the obvious; Serena completed the "Serena slam" before Justine cheated.

Thanks Zadent. Don't worry about MightyMirza, some people will do anything to avoid "the obvious." The obvious is lost on them.

Clearly, Cronin said Justine "stopped" the Serena Slam, not succeded in preventing it from being "greater." or whatever the hell MM said. :rolleyes:

Apparently reading Cronin's mind is easier than actually reading his words for some people. :lol:

btw, Zadent, I'm a "He."

mm1147
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM
its going to be hard for justine to win this year because there are more contenders,hingis has a chance because her nemesis is not playing,momo wants to prove she can win before the home crowd,kuzzy wants to do better than last year serena and venus and an army of " hungry for a big title "players.

i'm really glad you say that :)

MS_FP
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Henin is the best woman on clay, but she's not as dominant as Nadal...I don't see her winning this year :lol:

friendsita
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Nice to see how the article notices that Vee, Juju and Serena are the top 3 players of their generation :worship:

Absolutely :worship:

friendsita
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Nice article. Damn I want Venus to win number 6 before Justine does though!

me too... but I really have the feeling that justine won't win this year at paris

treufreund
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Kinda like Richard and Serena on trial, live on Court TV? You've got a lot of nerve talking about Justine's character, when your fav has absolutely ZERO when it comes to testifying under oath.:rolleyes:

:worship::worship::worship: Smackdown!!!

hwanmig
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:47 AM
FO is her's, I just cannot see anyone beating her at RG anytime soon. Hopefully she meets Serena and wipe her on the court.

Rome
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:01 AM
FO is her's, I just cannot see anyone beating her at RG anytime soon. Hopefully she meets Serena and wipe her on the court.

I think its going to be the other way around rember with Serena winninng. The last time they played on clay Serena should have won in the two sets. (we all know why she lost that match FO crowd and the hand) Why do wish for Justine to wipe the floor with Serena. do you not like Serena? I would say rember we are talking about a five time grandslam winner not a nobody I know justine has won the last 3 FO but Serena has won here before and has a good chance of stoping Justine so if they meet in RG and Serena wins you will be eating crow again lol

hwanmig
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I think its going to be the other way around rember with Serena winninng. The last time they played on clay Serena should have won in the two sets. (we all know why she lost that match FO crowd and the hand) Why do wish for Justine to wipe the floor with Serena. do you not like Serena? I would say rember we are talking about a five time grandslam winner not a nobody I know justine has won the last 3 FO but Serena has won here before and has a good chance of stoping Justine so if they meet in RG and Serena wins you will be eating crow again lol

How sad would it be for the tour if someone who has not played a clay tournament in more than two year wins it. Even Rafa wouldn't be able to do that , Oh wait I remember this is the women's tour where girls who move like constipated rats can win the FO trophy.

Petersmiler
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Why did he have to mention the Williams sisters? We might have actually had a normal conversation about Justine then!

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM
How sad would it be for the tour if someone who has not played a clay tournament in more than two year wins it. Even Rafa wouldn't be able to do that , Oh wait I remember this is the women's tour where girls who move like constipated rats can win the FO trophy.

well the FO would TECHINCALLY be her 4th clay tourny in 2 years ;)

and....I mean, I know you HATE Serena, but she's no constipated rat :o :rolleyes:

:shrug: I dunno why I even try

Rome
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Really from what I can tell you have fast and slow player on the ATP tour. And some player forget how to play winning tennis when they been out injury not Serena!! And by the way Rafa and Serena are two diffrent poeple. I want you to rember one thing Serena one of the greats of the tennis world. all you have to do is read what Billie has said and others greats. I have a question for you do you think Amelie can win the FO ?

Rome
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Why did he have to mention the Williams sisters? We might have actually had a normal conversation about Justine then!
If he did'nt who would care? as always it mean something in the tennis world to beat someone with the name Serena Williams. Even if you have to cheat to win lol.

Petersmiler
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:26 AM
If he did'nt who would care? as always it mean something in the tennis world to beat someone with the name Serena Williams. Even if you have to cheat to win lol.

Speak for yourself mate. Believe it or not, there are people who are interested in Justine, and not just because she's beaten Serena before.

danadruncea
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Nice interview. I hope for repeat of the Miami final, only with Justine winning now!
Serena is best on hardcourt I think but Justine has earned herself that title when it comes to clay :)

bandabou
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Again the hand-talk? Dang...get over it already. More than 4 years ago...I wish to remember the picture of the Miami-final. two players who respect each other, great champs.

frenchie
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:54 AM
she should have kept focus on her husband instead:devil:

Petersmiler
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Again the hand-talk? Dang...get over it already. More than 4 years ago...I wish to remember the picture of the Miami-final. two players who respect each other, great champs.

Couldn't agree more.

I only hope their next match is as exciting.

VishaalMaria
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Well Venus is my favourite player and Justine did cheat and then denied it. What "clever" comment are you going to come up with next? :rolleyes:

Apoorv
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Venus wont make it to RG final if she continues to play like she did on green clay. Serena is the biggest threat to Justine's crown. But Justine is the true clay courter in WTA. She is just too good on it. If she is confident and healthy then she will beat Serena on clay even if Serena is at her best. Opposite is true for grass and on hard court Serena has a slight lead over Justine.

Vamos.
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Err.......she was ill. She had no right to even play in that condition.

Which is the excuse every time Justine loses. Literally every single time she loses her fans start questioning her health. Get a grip.

MistyGrey
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Which is the excuse every time Justine loses. Literally every single time she loses her fans start questioning her health. Get a grip.

Justine fans arent the only ones who do that. :p
I'm glad Justine doesnt make ridiculous excuses like " I was 90000 notches below my best", or "I played like a 90 year old" :tape::tape:

MistyGrey
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM

:tape::spit::lol:

TLP
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Thanks bandabou! Both Serena and Justine have matured into fine young women and both had thoughtful comments for each other after the Miami tournament final. Both have seen more than their fair share of family discord, personal tragedy, and injuries. In my opinion Serena has more power, intelligence, and speed than anyone to ever play the game and I include big sis in that comment. The unbelievable talent, technique, disipline, and work ethic of Justine Henin, poetry in motion, should be enough to satisfy any fan. Serena the outgoing and fun loving, determined champion and the exclusive, determined champion from Belgium are the best the WTA has to offer at the moment. Why some posters still want to rag on Justine and call her a cheater and some want to rag on Serena saying she is arrogance personified and didn't deserve the second serve is beyond me. Both Justine and Serena live in the now and have moved on, why can't we do the same. It's tennis, it's a game. Some folks are so perfect they are able to cast not only the first stone at Justine or Serena but the second stone, the third stone, and so on. The human animal is the only one I know of that is capable of forgiveness and it annoys me that some of us haven't evolved.

Martian KC
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:46 PM

:retard: What the fuck are you even talking about? This was the beginning of her virus. Get a life.

bandabou
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks bandabou! Both Serena and Justine have matured into fine young women and both had thoughtful comments for each other after the Miami tournament final. Both have seen more than their fair share of family discord, personal tragedy, and injuries. In my opinion Serena has more power, intelligence, and speed than anyone to ever play the game and I include big sis in that comment. The unbelievable talent, technique, disipline, and work ethic of Justine Henin, poetry in motion, should be enough to satisfy any fan. Serena the outgoing and fun loving, determined champion and the exclusive, determined champion from Belgium are the best the WTA has to offer at the moment. Why some posters still want to rag on Justine and call her a cheater and some want to rag on Serena saying she is arrogance personified and didn't deserve the second serve is beyond me. Both Justine and Serena live in the now and have moved on, why can't we do the same. It's tennis, it's a game. Some folks are so perfect they are able to cast not only the first stone at Justine or Serena but the second stone, the third stone, and so on. The human animal is the only one I know of that is capable of forgiveness and it annoys me that some of us haven't evolved.

You said it...seems like they love to keep on living in the past.

lecciones
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Justine fans arent the only ones who do that. :p
I'm glad Justine doesnt make ridiculous excuses like " I was 90000 notches below my best", or "I played like a 90 year old" :tape::tape:

:) hehehe. And Justine is very prone to sickness we all know that, it's not hidden or something.

Allez-H
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Word.

She used that same excuse when she was like out for the next 6 months. Seriously, how desperate can one get? Like a stupid cytomega-whatever-it's-called-virus is a worthy excuse.

Olórin
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Well by the time she plays the FO she will have have played 2 clay tournaments in the preceding 3 weeks.

There's no need to question the integrity of the entire WTA Tour just because someone you don't particularly like wins a big event :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Justine has won 3 of the last 4 FO's. Myskina won in 2004. A total surprise.
If Justine doesn't win, this FO is wide open. No one else has consistent, high quality red clay results.

Olórin
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Justine has won 3 of the last 4 FO's. Myskina won in 2004. A total surprise.
If Justine doesn't win, this FO is wide open. No one else has consistent, high quality red clay results.

Serena hasn't done worse than the QFs of the French this century. She has only been knocked out of the tournament this century by French Open Champions, Jennifer Capriati and Justine Henin. She has a win loss record there of 25-5. Pretty consistent if you ask me.

goldenlox
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Quarters isn't like winning 3 times. Nowhere close. With 32 seeds, usually a major starts at the quarters.
All the contenders are separated until then.

Olórin
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Quarters isn't like winning 3 times. Nowhere close. With 32 seeds, usually a major starts at the quarters.
All the contenders are separated until then.

Well obviously winning it three times is better. But I still think 2 QFs, SF and a win is pretty consistent. Plus the fact that only people who have been RG Champions have been able to knock her out.

Obviously Justine's record there is far better, but Im just saying that there is one other player at least who has shown she is consistently one of the best on clay.

In your post you made it sound like if Justine went out we would probably have a wild card winner. (Apart from Myskina) Serena is the only former champion in the draw, Serena is the second favourite behind Justine :)

goldenlox
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Sveta is the defending finalist. That doesn't improve her chances any.
Justine is all by herself in RG form. There's no competiton in past performances. She's the most accomplished by a wide wide margin.
But if Justine doesn't win, the form on clay is wide open. Nadia won 2 clay Tier I's last year. She's one of many contenders.

MistyGrey
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Well obviously winning it three times is better. But I still think 2 QFs, SF and a win is pretty consistent. Plus the fact that only people who have been RG Champions have been able to knock her out.

Obviously Justine's record there is far better, but Im just saying that there is one other player at least who has shown she is consistently one of the best on clay.

In your post you made it sound like if Justine went out we would probably have a wild card winner. (Apart from Myskina) Serena is the only former champion in the draw, Serena is the second favourite behind Justine :)

I dont know about Serena being one of the best on clay. She has only reached 3 finals on red clay EVER, winning two, and that too during her best year. Other than 2002, she has been anything but one of the best on clay. Ofcourse she can win Rome and Berlin and even the FO this year, but until then, Serena's clay resume is Myskina-esque, (OK slightly better than Myskina).

Olórin
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I dont know about Serena being one of the best on clay. She has only reached 3 finals on red clay EVER, winning two, and that too during her best year. Other than 2002, she has been anything but one of the best on clay. Ofcourse she can win Rome and Berlin and even the FO this year, but until then, Serena's clay resume is Myskina-esque, (OK slightly better than Myskina).

It's actually a lot better than Myskina's she has only failed to reach the QF or better of a clay event twice in the last 5 years or something.

Im know she's only won two which isn't a lot really, but she can up her game when it counts.

And she has a 83% success rate at RG. Which is very good. She will peak there trust me :p

Besides you seem to be forgetting she won the FO, to say she's not one of the best on clay is just silly!

Olórin
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Sveta is the defending finalist. That doesn't improve her chances any.
Justine is all by herself in RG form. There's no competiton in past performances. She's the most accomplished by a wide wide margin.
But if Justine doesn't win, the form on clay is wide open. Nadia won 2 clay Tier I's last year. She's one of many contenders.

No joking there. Which is why Im glad Serena will be there this year :bounce:

goldenlox
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
We don't know who's going to be there. Injuries are a big part of women's tennis. Who's healthy and when.

Olórin
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM
We don't know who's going to be there. Injuries are a big part of women's tennis. Who's healthy and when.

Well as I said in another thread I hope we have a healthy FO with everyone on form :)

goldenlox
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
That never happens. But when Justine's been healthy, she's won RG 3 straight times.

MistyGrey
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
It's actually a lot better than Myskina's she has only failed to reach the QF or better of a clay event twice in the last 5 years or something.

Im know she's only won two which isn't a lot really, but she can up her game when it counts.

And she has a 83% success rate at RG. Which is very good. She will peak there trust me :p

Besides you seem to be forgetting she won the FO, to say she's not one of the best on clay is just silly!

Serena surely can up her game on clay, I dont doubt that. But to be one of the best clay courter, day in day out, she'll have to up her game quite a lot on clay, which is again not beyond her at all. But until she does, she has an above average record on clay.
OK yes she has a better clay court resume than Myskina, so lets say her as of right now, her clay court resume is Mojali like. Actually Majoli has more titles and finals on clay than Serena has. :p
83% is good, but she has only 3 top ten wins at RG! which is average, specially for a former champ.
but yes she has won RG, which makes her a force on clay no matter what.
But there are lots of players who have a shot at beating her on clay than on other surfaces. I dont think its a bad thing. Let me put it this way, if Serena beats Justine on clay it'll be a much bigger deal than if Justine beats her.
The reverse is true for grass.

goldenlox
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
And just because Justine has great RG results, doesn't mean she wins this year. Same for Nadal.
The past doesn't mean you win now.

VishaalMaria
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Most of the time when she does lose it's because of illness. Thats the only thing that stopped her from winning Roland Garros 04 and the Australian Open 06. Both matches you could see Justine was mentally and physically ill.

Unfortunately that 2004 virus never left Justine the same. She was always weaker and will always will be. Thats why she performes poorly at Wimbledon sometimes e.g. Wimbledon 05. The only way she'll win Wimbledon is if she loses early at Roland Garros which I don't see happening. No matter how much Justine wants a Wimbledon title she hates losing.

Beny
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM

I`m glad I`m not the only one who spotted it....
anyway, she won those finals. But again I must agree with your next words that her opponents looked far more tense than Justine

thrust
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Perhaps Justine beat Mary so easily because Justine was on fire that day. As I recall she did practically nothing wrong. Mary made many mistakes because she knew the only way she could win was to try to blow Justine off the court with her power. Unfortunately for Mary, Justine was able to take the match to Mary, as well as being consistant. Justine is better on clay than Mary ever was, or will be.

Mightymirza
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM
yeah against pierce Juju was absolutely on fire..:hearts: she even hit a 194 kmph ace :eek:

faste5683
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Word.

She used that same excuse when she was like out for the next 6 months. Seriously, how desperate can one get? Like a stupid cytomega-whatever-it's-called-virus is a worthy excuse.

:lol:

:tape:

:wavey:

faste5683
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Speak for yourself mate. Believe it or not, there are people who are interested in Justine, and not just because she's beaten Serena before.

Serena who? ;)

:wavey: