PDA

View Full Version : Was SERENA's knee surgery neccessary in 2003 after WI?

Direwolf
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Serena had a knee operation, just after she won
her 6th GS in singles
and after reaching 3R/4R in doubles...

Was it neccessary for her to have that knee operation
while she was at the top of her game??

Was it that serious?

I mean, cuz why have it operated on after winning Wimbledon, when she
was beating players at the top of their games easily...
she couldve won LA-Toronto-USO and end the year number 1 rather than Clijsters....

cant she have that opertion after the YEC ??
and could have used part of 2004 healing and rehabilitating her knee...??!!!

I mean no harm....
somehow it just confuse me upto dis day why she did that...

Serena_thebest
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
it was. she's professional enough to know what's best. And if that is knee surgery in the middle of the season, than it was urgent...

Marcell
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
During one of her interviews during the Australian Open, she mentioned that she was going through terrible pain even when she was winning those slams. She even said that her sponsors were not happy that she decided to have the surgery. I don't think she would have decided to have the surgery if it was not necessary because it could have been career ending.

Sinnet
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think a more appropriate question is... did she allow it to heal enough? One would think not if she's continuing to have problems with it, but again, what can you expect when your profession involves constant motion and training?

A friend of mine works as a theatre manager at an AMC. She had a knee operation in the winter and was told to avoid any stenuous work for quite some time, but within weeks she was back to going up and down flights of stairs, cleaning shows, running around etc. Now, only a few months later, her knee is giving her agony again, and her doctor said she needs another operation.

So my question is: if the knee continues to be a problem, and it continues to reinjure, would (or should) Serena have another operation, and this time approach it the right way with adequate healing time? Or do you think there's no way to avoid such inflammation and it's something she'll have to cope with through regularlity, training and medicine?

TennisGuy21
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
It was probably very nessisary. I read up on the surgery she had, and for an average person it is a 3-4 yr healing process with rehab. She probably didnt give it exactly enough time to heal, but that is why she is always playing lite schedules.

bandabou
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:21 PM
one thing is certain..never was the same after the surgery..has lost at least one step movement wise.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:23 PM
although if you look at Miami, it looks like it's ALMOST back...maybe with about 6 healthy months, she should be BACK FOR REAL FOR REAL! :yeah:

Viktymise
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Wasn't there a tear in a cruciate ligament, with is pretty much as serious as its gets with the knee :shrug:

Craigy
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Wasn't there a tear in a cruciate ligament, with is pretty much as serious as its gets with the knee :shrug:

Thats what I though. Well something like that.

tennisIlove09
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
The injuries that Serena, and Venus, suffered at Wimbledon 2003 changed women's tennis forever.

Not only had they reached 6 of 8 Slam finals together (01 US; 02 FO; 02 WB; 02 US; 03 AO; 03 WB) but they were so completely dominate, especially Serena. The winners of the majors since should be thanking their lucky stars that they were injured and it has taken them time to recover. I honestly do not believe Henin would have 5 majors, Kuznetsova would have 1, Myskina would have 1 ... had the sisters not been injured. Just my opinion though.

Viktymise
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The injuries that Serena, and Venus, suffered at Wimbledon 2003 changed women's tennis forever.

Not only had they reached 6 of 8 Slam finals together (01 US; 02 FO; 02 WB; 02 US; 03 AO; 03 WB) but they were so completely dominate, especially Serena. The winners of the majors since should be thanking their lucky stars that they were injured and it has taken them time to recover. I honestly do not believe Henin would have 5 majors, Kuznetsova would have 1, Myskina would have 1 ... had the sisters not been injured. Just my opinion though.

No doubt they would have won more slams without those injuries

bandabou
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Hmmmm....I don't think 2004 would've gone the way it went..with Myskina winning RG and Sveta winning the Open.

Heck...probably even Henin's 2003 u.s. open wouldn't have happened.
But things went down differently...and you can't change the past.

martina83
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Serena had a tear in her patellar ligament which is the ligament that attaches to the patella and inserts on the tibia. As a physical therapist I have worked with many people who have suffered this injury from sports and took them 3-5 years of rehabilitation to be 100%. I am not sure how or why serena only took an 8 month break when she should have missed the entire 2004 season. But I can definetly understand that she is very competitive and desperately wanted to get out on the court again.

b_o_r
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Serena Williams to miss U.S. Open after knee surgery

By Beth Harris, The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES Serena Williams won't be adding to her collection of Grand Slam titles this year. Williams had knee surgery Friday and will be out 6-to-8 weeks, leaving her unable to defend her U.S. Open title later this month in New York. The world's top-ranked player underwent surgery to repair a partial tear in the mid-portion of the quadriceps tendon of her left knee at an undisclosed location in Los Angeles.

The surgery was done by Dr. Rodney Gabriel on an outpatient basis.

Williams was resting at home in Los Angeles, her spokeswoman said. Her father, Richard, and other family members were with her.

"Serena has suffered from quadriceps tendinitis of her left knee for many years, which has been controlled with medication and physical therapy treatments," Gabriel said.

"She recently developed pain that, although improved with treatment, increased whenever she resumed tennis activities."

On Monday, Williams underwent an MRI, which showed a partial tear in the tendon and surgery was recommended, Gabriel said.

"I expect a 100% recovery and Serena's speedy return to competitive tennis," he said.

There was no comment from Williams in statements from her representative or the WTA Tour.

She had withdrawn from three California tournaments in the last three weeks because of the knee problem. She was scheduled to play last week at Stanford, this week in Carlsbad and next week in Carson.

She hasn't played since beating older sister Venus in the Wimbledon final nearly a month ago.

In January, Williams won the Australian Open. She has five titles in her last six Grand Slam tournaments. She defeated Venus in last year's U.S. Open final.

Williams, 21, is losing out on a chance to win $1 million in prize money by missing the U.S. Open, which begins Aug. 25.

The amount could increase to $2 million if she is unable to play in the season-ending WTA Championships in November in Los Angeles.

The winner of each tournament receives $1 million.

Her absence also could affect the rankings.

Kim Clijsters, who has reached the semifinals in Carlsbad, is just 264 points behind Williams in the rankings.

The Belgian could be in position to take over as No. 1 during next week's tournament in Carson.

Venus, ranked fourth in the world, also hasn't played since Wimbledon because of a nagging abdominal injury. So far, she has withdrawn from Fed Cup and the Acura Classic in Carlsbad. She was not planning to play next week.
---------------------------------------------------
The surgery was to prevent further damage and was not a complete tear. Also, I can't remember if it was Serena or one of the commentators who mentioned that less than half of her surgeon consultants recommended surgery. If she knew she was going to be out 9 months, she was probably better off rehabing it anyway.

tennisIlove09
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hmmmm....I don't think 2004 would've gone the way it went..with Myskina winning RG and Sveta winning the Open.

Heck...probably even Henin's 2003 u.s. open wouldn't have happened.
But things went down differently...and you can't change the past.

Yup, exactly. I dont think Henin's US or AO would be there. She is clearly one of the best clay courters ever, so you cant take those away from her ... but with Venus and Serena 100%, I dont think she would have her two Slams away from Paris. Just me though ...

Direwolf
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
cool...
thanks...

but why didnt she have the surgery sooner...
like immediately a few days after winning Wimbledon??

Dave.
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM
The injuries at Wimbledon 2003 were bad, but the real reason for that dramatic change in women's tennis was to do with their sister tragically being murdered IMO (which happened around that time aswell). That took Venus and Serena out of the game for the rest of the year, and really I still don't think they managed to focus properly on tennis for ages after. I mean, when something like that happens, your whole life priorities change, understandably. They have come back strong and had great victories since, but haven't been totally commited as to dominate for a whole season. I hope that they both continue this strong start to 2007 and get back to where they were before in 2002. If Venus and Serena had been able to play on, they would have certainly wrapped up the US Open in 2003, and probably 2-4 slams in 2004 and we would have been in for some good rivalries between them and a rejuvinated Davenport, Mauresmo and the Russians.

Viktymise
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
2004 probably would have been amazing had their been no injuries to Venus, Serena, Justine, Kim. I mean it already had some terrific matches, but was no doubt a bit patchy, but Ces't la vie, thats tennis for you :p

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Serena had Patellar(sp) tendonitis, which- technically- is microscopic tears in the tendon. Usually tendonitis is treated with resting the the particular area, anti-inflammatories(sp), Obviously, though Serena was still functioning with the tears, the tears were severe enough that Surgery could actually strengthen and prevent a more devasting injury.

Often times, Chronic tendonitis DOES lead to a severe tear. I can personally atest to that, having completely tore(ruptured) my achilles on the basketball court, requiring surgery. I was told by my doctor that, had I paid more attention to the tendonitis I was experiencing, I quite likely could have prevented the injury.

Chances are, because there is very little opportunity to return a tendon to its full former strength after injury, Serena will have issues with it from time to time, but if she babys it and keeps the surrounding muscles strong (and watches her weight to reduce the stress) she should still be able to compete for several more years at a very high level.

Bijoux0021
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I think a more appropriate question is... did she allow it to heal enough? One would think not if she's continuing to have problems with it, but again, what can you expect when your profession involves constant motion and training?

A friend of mine works as a theatre manager at an AMC. She had a knee operation in the winter and was told to avoid any stenuous work for quite some time, but within weeks she was back to going up and down flights of stairs, cleaning shows, running around etc. Now, only a few months later, her knee is giving her agony again, and her doctor said she needs another operation.

So my question is: if the knee continues to be a problem, and it continues to reinjure, would (or should) Serena have another operation, and this time approach it the right way with adequate healing time? Or do you think there's no way to avoid such inflammation and it's something she'll have to cope with through regularlity, training and medicine?
I don't think Serena let it healed appropriately. I remember seeing pictures of her out and about in high heel shoes not too long after the surgery. Back then, many of her fans, including I, were asking why on earth was she wearing high heels instead of flats.

urock34
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM
well i remember reading some time back in 05 or 06 that she was blaming the pain in her nee because surgery was not completed correctly

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:06 PM
although if you look at Miami, it looks like it's ALMOST back...maybe with about 6 healthy months, she should be BACK FOR REAL FOR REAL! :yeah:

i totally agree

b_o_r
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Serena had Patellar(sp) tendonitis, which- technically- is microscopic tears in the tendon. Usually tendonitis is treated with resting the the particular area, anti-inflammatories(sp), Obviously, though Serena was still functioning with the tears, the tears were severe enough that Surgery could actually strengthen and prevent a more devasting injury.

Often times, Chronic tendonitis DOES lead to a severe tear. I can personally atest to that, having completely tore(ruptured) my achilles on the basketball court, requiring surgery. I was told by my doctor that, had I paid more attention to the tendonitis I was experiencing, I quite likely could have prevented the injury.

Chances are, because there is very little opportunity to return a tendon to its full former strength after injury, Serena will have issues with it from time to time, but if she babys it and keeps the surrounding muscles strong (and watches her weight to reduce the stress) she should still be able to compete for several more years at a very high level.
-----------------------------
:o Her scar is just above her kneecap which indicates a repair to the quadricep tendon area. Remember: Quadricep muscle-quadricep tendon- patellar aka kneecap-patellar tendon:angel:

Back on topic
I thought Serena moved well in 2004, especially in the fall coming back from surgery. It wasn't until the ankle injury and weight gain in 2005 did Serena's speed/movement look awful. I 'm sure her cause isn't helped by the fact that Serena is not light on her feet either.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:05 AM
-----------------------------
:o Her scar is just above her kneecap which indicates a repair to the quadricep tendon area. Remember: Quadricep muscle-quadricep tendon- patellar aka kneecap-patellar tendon:angel:

Well, obviously I'm know physio. :lol:

I thought that tendon that joined the quad to the knee cap WAS the patellar tendon. Didn't realize it was only the one BELOW the knee.

At any rate, the caution, care and treatment still holds true no matter what the tendonitis. Every admonition from my previous post still applies.

b_o_r
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Well, obviously I'm know physio. :lol:

I thought that tendon that joined the quad to the knee cap WAS the patellar tendon. Didn't realize it was only the one BELOW the knee.

At any rate, the caution, care and treatment still holds true no matter what the tendonitis. Every admonition from my previous post still applies.

You mean all those years of watching american football hasn't acquainted you with the anatomy of knee:lol: :p

I think a better question would have been if Serena had won the 2003 French Open would she have had surgery or continued to rehab? :devil:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:33 AM
You mean all those years of watching american football hasn't acquainted you with the anatomy of knee:lol: :p

Worse yet, I injured my knee (posterior cruciate) playing American college football. :o I spent many, many hours in rehab. You'd think I'd know the EXACT anatomy of the knee. But, actually, the kind of knee injuries you usually see in American football are more traumatic than tendonitis, ie, ligament blowouts requiring rebuilds, etc, etc.

Anyway, I think Serena still would have had surgery. Taht's not the kind of thing you play around with.

Kart
Apr 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM
The patellar tendon connects the patella to the tibia I think and is distinct from the quadriceps tendon.

On topic, I don't really understand why this question is being asked - I doubt Serena would have consented to have her knee operated on if it wasn't necessary.

Direwolf
Apr 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM
The patellar tendon connects the patella to the tibia I think and is distinct from the quadriceps tendon.

On topic, I don't really understand why this question is being asked - I doubt Serena would have consented to have her knee operated on if it wasn't necessary.

Why cant I ask? i just wanted to know...
Cuz she was on an amazing streak..
and watching her WM final that year..
she wasnt really showing any sign that shes injured...

She was still basically perfect...

vettipooh
Apr 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Exactly!! Nobody goes under the knife unless it's absolutely necessary.