PDA

View Full Version : Live near underground natural gas pipelines?

Bacardi
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Does anyone here other than me live near underground gas lines? And I'm not talking about gasoline, what I'm talking about is Natural gas, or propaine gas. The types that are used to heat homes/businesses and some stoves & such run off of them. If you live near them chances are you are offered like service in your home if you have a stove, water heater, or such that can run off of this. Why I'm asking is this reason, I live near where a large tank is, not even a quarter of a mile from my home, the gas lines do not serve anyone in this area they go to the prisons across the mountain. When the line was put in maybe 6 years ago we heard nothing about it, there was no meetings to say they were going to do so or anything. They simply stuck to the US's rule that gives companies the right of way which is roughly maybe 5 or 7 feet off the side of the road. It was put thru here where I live, and as I said that big tank is right near my house.
I want to know if anyone else lives near this type of thing? The reason I'm asking you is this, if you do live near it or in areas Natural gas is offered for your use. DO you ever smell a foul smell, something like rotten eggs or sulfur in the air? ALso if you live near enough to the large tanks do they ever come and work on them about once every 2 weeks? And when they do so do you smell the smell worse, and can you see a large cloud of fog coming out the top going about 40-60 feet high in the air? Plus can you hear something that sounds like a large amount of air being compressed thru and making a hissing noise while they are doing so?

I'm asking you because I'm right now back here from SC where when I lived there we were serviced by gas like this, but never had any problems. Now that I come back here, and there are a lot of elderly people and young kids and this smell is so bad it will set off the carbon monoxide meters in your home, even if you keep all the doors and windows shut. The smell lasts for hours, and everyone else I've spoken to says this shouldn't be happening that it often means there's a leak. Well today I got tired of it, my dad lives near here & his breathing is not even 40% he's so sick due to this, also the neighbors son who has breathing problems they have to leave their own home just to make it. This smell is so bad, I'm in good health but just being in my house or even going outside makes me ill enough that I've thrown up today. I've called the Sheriff's office, local HAZMAT team (which won't show up & even check it unless it's METH LAB involved they say they can't deal with this problem we have here), today I was told to get in contact with the Department of Mines Minerals and Energy and I did and spoke with a man there who told me there's a meeting set up at the site with the company that owns the thing from Lexington KY that people should attend, and I told him what they were doing today & he told me he specifically told them not to be here doing that until after the meeting. I told him they had been here doing it for hours, 2 men in 2 different trucks. I also told him I had taken photos on my cell phone (for those of you say cameras on cell phones are useless I'm using it for GOOD) and he wants me to email him those. Once I get them off my camera I will post them here so I can show you guys just what the big companies are doing to this small hick area because they think everyone here is undereducated and so on. As I told the man from the DMME a lot of folks here are uneducated and don't know what to do, but that I having a paralegal background intend to work to help this area out as much as possible. I might not intend on being here long, but I intend on doing something good while I'm here.
While I was out there taking pics with my cell phone, the guys working you could tell didn't like that. I didn't know at that time that they were given strict orders not to be out there doing that again until the meeting. I spoke to them as nicely as I could althou I was annoyed because I understand they are just doing what the suits with the big money at the corporation tell them to do, and they said they are doing it every 2 weeks and that some people complain in places and others don't. Right there standing next to the tanks you cannot smell the smell, get maybe a football field away in all directions & you can smell it. Hell the workers hate it so bad when they drive thru once they are done they roll those windows up and used their shirts to cover their noses & mouths! Yet he said to me well they have these all over the US, and some people don't like it and others do; what we're doing is normal it happens everywhere. Well I told him it in fact doesn't, I've been in contact with TECO out of FL and also the Natural gas places where I used to live in SC and they said they do blow out the pipes and clean them out once a year but it never lasts for hours and the reason this must be going on so often is there's a leak and what they are doing is illegal and harmful. I let them know right off so they can go tell those suits, someone's back in Southwestern VA with a fucking education that isn't stupid and intends on helping these people out. It's scary to think that in places like this they shut the door and don't care what they are doing. You know this smell is harzardous. Hell in Kingsport TN today a town maybe an hour away, there was an accident where a barrel of this smell that's added to the gas was leaking on a highway and they closed that road down and treated several people who were just driving along. If they are doing that, imagine what living here and smelling it for hours is doing. Talk about something that will cause lung cancer.

I just want to get some input from other people that live here, and live in different areas. Please post what state you are from, or country and if you have any problems like this or if you have no problems from the natural gas system in your area. Believe me, your help will be helpful for the people of this community. I intend on doing as much work and research as I can before the May 10th community meeting, so I can show those Suits someone here isn't going to back down and will fight for the best interests of this area! :help:

Sally Struthers
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I don't live near a natural gas line although I have a gas stove. Natural gas on its own is odorless but they put a chemical in it to give a smell so they can detect if there's a leak. If the carbon monoxide (which is odorless as well) detector is going off that's probably something else related to the whole thing since methane and carbon monoxide are not the same thing. Call the EPA

Bacardi
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM
I have called the EPA, and thusfar the only place I've contacted doing anything to assist the people around here has been the Department of Mines/Minerals and Energy! It's absurd that if you live in a place that's small and away from where all these places are you could have a disaster happen and nobody would come for assistance! You cannot get the EPA to do anything, but write down that I wanted to make a complaint (and it's not just me trying, it's about 20 other people that live here trying to get something done too). I'm telling you, more and more I see that if you live in a small place or out of the way then you're shit out of luck.

All I have is a stinking paralegal degree and all these people around here are relying on me to help them out. Which I've been doing, because it affects me too while I'm here plus the fact that I own 3 homes in this area (my parents home is in my name, my grandma's home and my uncles home all are deeded to me)... & when they pass away & I want to sell if this is going on, property value isn't going to be SHIT!

Bacardi
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Will nobody else look at this thread or say if they live in a place that offers natural gas or whatever?
It's so annoying around here when you want real help with something you get little to no attention, but if I had posted something about Alex and Kim fighting it out over their lil brat this thread woulda hit 30 posts by now.

Sally if you don't mind what place do you pay your gas through? Like what's your suppliers name? The reason why I'm wondering is I want to call a few other major companies or email them and get them to send me statements saying what this company is doing here is wrong & means there's a leak in their system somewhere. If you don't want to post it here, just PM it to me if you don't mind. :) & Thank you... I hope you never get a leak in that stuff because shew god the smell is still making me ill. :puke:

Sally Struthers
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:30 AM
you know what? try calling your local news. Mine has a segment where they try to help people who are having problems like this. Or the newspaper

tennismaster8820
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Yes, that's a great advice,try to put it in newspapers, you need to attract more attention!
It sounds like it's a real big problem and nobody's doing anything to stop it!
My house is about 1km away from normal gas pipeline and I wouldn't even know it is there if I sometimes wouldn't hear prety strong whisteling sound coming from it, everyone who lives here can hear it!
Thank God I don't have any similar problems!

Bacardi
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Yes, that's a great advice,try to put it in newspapers, you need to attract more attention!
It sounds like it's a real big problem and nobody's doing anything to stop it!
My house is about 1km away from normal gas pipeline and I wouldn't even know it is there if I sometimes wouldn't hear prety strong whisteling sound coming from it, everyone who lives here can hear it!
Thank God I don't have any similar problems!

So you hear that noise, but lucky for you... No smell. That's a good thing. Here you can hear it, but the worst thing is smell it. You only notice it after they've been out there or while they are out there fucking around with it. They left at 5pm, well a few minutes before but unfortunately the smell is still in the air tonight and it's heavy. :(
That's why I know somethings wrong, see you normally hear that sound maybe once or twice a year unless there is a problem & the 2 or so times a year are normal they are cleaning the pipes checking for leaks etc. Here I don't know why they are doing it, unless it's just to have us suffer and die. UGH I'd hope the damn thing would blow up but it would probably kill everyone around here. Something needs to be done. I mean all it services is the prison. Shit those people are murders can't they make do without the niceness of living with gas powered things? They killed people before they got in, now oddly enough they're assisting in killing people while they are still behind bars. :mad: