PDA

View Full Version : Rosie O'Donnell Leaving `The View'

Infiniti2001
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
By Associated Press

25 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. ABC said Wednesday it was unable to agree on a contract with the opinionated host, and she'll leave the show in June.

http://www.comcast.net/tv/index.jsp?cat=TELEVISION&fn=/2007/04/25/646133.html

Infiniti2001
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. The opinionated host was unable to agree on a contract with ABC, and she'll leave the show in June.

"My needs for the future just didn't dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me," O'Donnell said in a statement Wednesday.

"This has been an amazing experience," she said, "and one I wouldn't have traded for the world."

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused almost constant controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"I induced Rosie to come back to television on 'The View' even for just one year," Walters said. "She has given the program new vigor, new excitement and wonderful hours of television. I can only be grateful to her for this year."

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

"I would like to point out that Rosie's view is not always mine," Walters said. "I would like to say for the record that I am very fond of Rupert Murdoch."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show -- a claim Walters denied.

Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.

Despite controversy -- or maybe because of it -- O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Ratings for "The View" during February sweeps were up 15 percent in key women demographics over the same time in 2006.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/25/tv.odonnell.exits.ap/index.html

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sure Clay Aiken is happy :o :lol:

Barrie_Dude
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm glad the monster is gone! :woohoo:

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Well that sucks.
Who is going to replace her I wonder?
I didn't even start watching The View until Rosie came on.

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
:wavey:

griffin
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Well that sucks.
Who is going to replace her I wonder?

Bet Babs is wondering who's going to replace the ratings she brought :lol:

harloo
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Old Rosie finally shot herself in the leg.:lol: I knew it would be a matter of time before ABC said ENOUGH. I think she would be better suited on cable television for some reason, maybe a show on HBO?

Paneru
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm glad the monster is gone! :woohoo:

:lol:

ABC sure won't be happy when their monster ratings
plummet as Rosie was the only reason the show was
interesting in the first place! :cool:

They had best to milk that cow for all it's
worth for how much every longer they've
got it.

The entire reason for watching is gone. Bye Bye View! :wavey:

Infiniti2001
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM
They're discussing it now. Abc wanted her to sign for 3 years and she only wants to sign for one year :shrug:

Infiniti2001
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
ABC did not fire her, she will be back co-hosting and doing 1 hour specials.

MH0861
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM
ABC should've taken her for the year.

Wigglytuff
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Old Rosie finally shot herself in the leg.:lol: I knew it would be a matter of time before ABC said ENOUGH. I think she would be better suited on cable television for some reason, maybe a show on HBO?

she wasnt fired. my bet is she wanted more money or something else. but abc would be stupid to not want to renew now that the ratings are so good.

personally i think this is the end of this show.

Wigglytuff
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
They're discussing it now. Abc wanted her to sign for 3 years and she only wants to sign for one year :shrug:

why wont abc just suck it up and do the one year?

harloo
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM

ABC sure won't be happy when their monster ratings
plummet as Rosie was the only reason the show was
interesting in the first place! :cool:

They had best to milk that cow for all it's
worth for how much every longer they've
got it.

The entire reason for watching is gone. Bye Bye View! :wavey:

When the View first started it was informative. Rosie has managed to turn it into a circus, but the majority of people who criticize her can't stop looking at the show to see what offensive things she'll say. It's kind of like watching, "I Love New York", many people hate everything about her but love watching a good train wreck. Personally I can't stomach more than a few clips of Rosie because she's become so militant.:o

samsung101
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
She wanted more money.
ABC balked.
She'll try to go back to her own tv show probably.

Alone, she will not do as well. She's too much
all by herself. In a group, she was received well.
Alone -with her new Rosie image of tough, far left,
louder than before, conspiracy theory ridden, - her
new tv work will do as well as her cruise line tours
and broadway shows.

Then again, it is The View....they could pop in a penguin
and it would get ratings in the daytime for ABC. The core
audience is built in. Oprah-early. Oprah-lead in.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe Imus? :lol:

harloo
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
she wasnt fired. my bet is she wanted more money or something else. but abc would be stupid to not want to renew now that the ratings are so good.

personally i think this is the end of this show.

Maybe she's asking for too much? I was under the impression she would get her own spin-off show but I see that plan must of been axed.

timafi
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
damn The View will be gone by year's end:help: :lol:
damn we're stuck with Lizbitch:help:
I enjoyed her quite a bit I must admit:shrug:
for some reason I think ABC will surprise many and give in to Rosie and get a contract that suits them both and see her back:shrug: :yeah:
be fun to watch Lizbitch cry again:lol: :lol:

tennisIlove09
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Can not say I am hugely surprised. It seems like every other word out of her mouth created some kind of drama.

Ferosh
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM
She is the only reason I tuned in to see The View.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
The show will crater after June.

Fox News will claim victory now. Who knows, maybe they did toss her out, but she dramatically increased the ratings so if they canned her, it was like Babs just not liking her or something.

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Helen, maybe you'll be up for the gig when the new season starts.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Helen, maybe you'll be up for the gig when the new season starts.

I'd be better than those stiffs on there now.

Maybe when CBS boots Katie Couric, she could be on the show. :o Frankly, I don't see the show surviving without some huge name.

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Maybe when CBS boots Katie Couric, she could be on the show. :o Frankly, I don't see the show surviving without some huge name.

did you get this week's Enquirer with "Boozing Katie Couric" on the cover? :lol:

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
did you get this week's Enquirer with "Boozing Katie Couric" on the cover? :lol:

That was THE BEST!!! For some reason, I'm not a Katie fan. The article sounded like it was true, I could see her getting tipsy and then lashing out at her boyfriend.
I'm loving all the anti-Britney articles lately "Her Kids Reject Her" and the like. Hilarious! :lol: Last week, In-Touch did a poll whether Britney should "be allowed" to see her children without supervision. 33% said no!!!

I love the rags!

canoe.
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Has Walters hired the Donald yet?

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
That was THE BEST!!! For some reason, I'm not a Katie fan. The article sounded like it was true, I could see her getting tipsy and then lashing out at her boyfriend.
I'm loving all the anti-Britney articles lately "Her Kids Reject Her" and the like. Hilarious! :lol: Last week, In-Touch did a poll whether Britney should "be allowed" to see her children without supervision. 33% said no!!!

I love the rags!

Every time they show a picture of Katie without makeup it scares me but nowhere near as much as the unmade up Meredith Vieria pictures :scared: The woman look positively ghastly without. I'm tired of the Meredith vs. Matt Lauer stories with Roker and Ann Curry caught in the middle.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Every time they show a picture of Katie without makeup it scares me but nowhere near as much as the unmade up Meredith Vieria pictures :scared: The woman look positively ghastly without. I'm tired of the Meredith vs. Matt Lauer stories with Roker and Ann Curry caught in the middle.

That one they had of Meredith about a month ago was an instant classic!!! I saved that one, it was that good. I also liked the one of Prince William groping that chick, and they circled his hand and had an arrow, so we couldn't miss it.

I don't care about the Today Show, I don't even read the articles. They look made-up to me, too, there's little substance.
The one with stars with eating disorders was good.

winone23
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Good Rosie is nothing but trouble.

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM
That one they had of Meredith about a month ago was an instant classic!!! I saved that one, it was that good. I also liked the one of Prince William groping that chick, and they circled his hand and had an arrow, so we couldn't miss it.

I don't care about the Today Show, I don't even read the articles. They look made-up to me, too, there's little substance.
The one with stars with eating disorders was good.

I wish they would stop with the trailer trash crime stories like the one they had a couple of weeks ago where the woman was robbed at the bank by her husband. And I could do without the monthly celebrity cellulite check :lol:

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I wish they would stop with the trailer trash crime stories like the one they had a couple of weeks ago where the woman was robbed at the bank by her husband. And I could do without the monthly celebrity cellulite check :lol:

I'm not into the non-famous people crap. I like the one where stars look emaciated on the beach, or like whales and they point out all their flaws, or photos of Naomi Campbell going to trash detail each day. I liked the one "Sanjaya's Secret" to taunt you and it turns out the "secret" was that he's really outgoing and not shy at all. I love the Rachel Ray stories, too, she's wild.

G-Ha
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
there's more to rosie leaving than just a 3-year vs. 1-year contract...i think babs wanted her out of there or at the very least, wasn't upset that rosie is leaving.

i heard a clip of rosie's announcement on the radio this morning and babs was protesting too much of how she "had nothing to do with the decision and isn't involved in the contract negotions whatsoever"...please! i don't believe for one second that that old bag has no say in who's on her show...if she really wanted rosie to stay, something would've been worked out...

samsung101
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM
They all know each other, Babs, Behar, Rosie, Huffington, Meredith,
Katie, they all lunch, and vacation, and agree w/each other. It's
just one talking head being replaced by another. Some louder
than others.

The View tries to say it gives different points of view, with one
'consevative' head...but, that person normally gets booted off
sooner or later, or is rather meek.

Rosie had a nice run, made lots of money for ABC - they loved her
outrageous, and often untrue, comments, and headlines she made.

She'll be just fine with a new tv or talk show or something.

She'll probably go all serious on us, like Al Franken or Bill Mahr, and
delight us with her political commentary. Go for it Rosie, Hillary
needs ya!

ABC will bring in more 'guest' hosts to test out.

Gee, how hard is it to find an ultra liberal female star to guest host?

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
barbara looks so foolish after what happened last year ,i think star is having the last laugh.barbara was played by joy and rosie now the show she created is going down unless she hires someone who is striong like rosie .
the show wasnt attracting big movie celebrities because of rosie's rants.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM
there's more to rosie leaving than just a 3-year vs. 1-year contract...i think babs wanted her out of there or at the very least, wasn't upset that rosie is leaving.

i heard a clip of rosie's announcement on the radio this morning and babs was protesting too much of how she "had nothing to do with the decision and isn't involved in the contract negotions whatsoever"...please! i don't believe for one second that that old bag has no say in who's on her show...if she really wanted rosie to stay, something would've been worked out...

I agree with you, what Barbara says, goes, on that show. I believe Donald Trump when he said Barbara told him she didn't like the Rosie feud with him and all the stuff he said Barbara said about Rosie. She never really heartedly denied it and I don't think "The Donald" would make up that stuff. While Barbara is a "lefty-tard" I don't think she likes vulgarity and negative press, regardless of ratings and that, in my speculation, was behind it. They may have postured a deal they knew Rosie wouldn't take, but I don't think Barbara wanted her back.

antonella
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
This is all very simple, Barbara Walters doesn't want her around and asked her to leave cuz she gets more ink as Rosie is a veritable ratings machine. You can't upstage the boss and expect to hold on to your job for long. She sent their ratings through the sky and they pushed her out, this is the thanks she got, that's the ugly reality of the entertainment industry, but what goes-around-comes-around, she'll probably get her own talk show again.

samsung101
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Rosie demanded more money than The View can pay, since it isn't that
much of a cash cow. It's daytime tv, and it's a group, and they already
know the forumla is to bring in a new controverisal figure once in a while,
let them spike ratings, and then let them leave.

It works.

The format is what sells. Pluck in new faces as need be.

Rosie made Babs money.
That's all Babs cares about.

As we saw with Star Jones, Babs is the Queen. She will not be
upstaged by anyone. But, she sure knows how to keep the
ratings coming in...she's not the top dog for nothing.

Rosie will likely get her own show again. She'll also probably
implode again, and move on to something else after she steps on
too many toes w/her crazy comments.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM

So true :lol: I think THE VIEW is on its last legs. I mean, they still have yet to replace Star Jones on the show. Rosie replaced Viera as the mod;) Anyways, Rosie has many offers out there to host her own talk show. I think she will probobly take a year off and then take one of the companys up on there offer. She also has a co starring role on NIP/TUCK next season. That will be filming this summer :bounce:

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM

speaking of Katie again, I just got my Enquirer for the week and there's a big story about how her old boyfriend dumped her by email which humiliated her and sent her to boozing... and then get this... the new boyfriend's mother is happy her son is with an "older" woman :lol:

and on the Today Show front, Matt is mad that Meredith called him an idiot and penis head on air :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
speaking of Katie again, I just got my Enquirer for the week and there's a big story about how her old boyfriend dumped her by email which humiliated her and sent her to boozing... and then get this... the new boyfriend's mother is happy her son is with an "older" woman :lol:

and on the Today Show front, Matt is mad that Meredith called him an idiot and penis head on air :lol:

Yeah, i read that in the NY POST last night. I wonder what her 32 year old boyfriend looks like * hint hint* ;)

antonella
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Trump!

Looks like he won, in a way.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Rosie wanted $10 million for one season. ABC wanted to pay her $10 million for three seasons. Rosie wasn't let go. They couldn't come to terms for her next contract.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM

I always knew Katie would end up tadpoling!

Also, have not noticed, the few times I watched the View with Meredith, I thought she looked like shit, but on Millionaire, she looked really good. She needs to make sure whoever lights her on Millionaire stays with her.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Trump!

You mean his recent celebrity role on a professional wrestling program? Not the best career move. Didn't Kevin Federline recently make a showing in the WWE as well?

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
When the View first started it was informative. Rosie has managed to turn it into a circus, but the majority of people who criticize her can't stop looking at the show to see what offensive things she'll say. It's kind of like watching, "I Love New York", many people hate everything about her but love watching a good train wreck. Personally I can't stomach more than a few clips of Rosie because she's become so militant.:o

:worship: :worship: :worship: Militant and judgmental. I can't stand that about her. I haven't watched the show since she's been on. I just don't like her, at all.

polishprodigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
The thing that bugs me is Rosie ALWAYS ties EVERYTHING to the Iraq war. I guess as a Canadian, it plays less significance for me. She makes good points sometimes, but other times she is just annoying.

But i agree, she was a pull factor for many viewers because of her outrageous comments.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Re: Ratings. According to Fox News, and we know to take that with a big grain of salt, the ratings RIGHT NOW are a ton higher than they were a year ago. However, be that as it may, the ratings started to dip hard when The Donald stuff started. So, even in the dip, a dip Fox claims has continued, they are still higher. But, as some of you have pointed out, maybe as she got more outspoken, some people turned away.

tennisjunky
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
didnt start to tivo the view until rosie was on, when she leave i'll stop. never really much watched the show before and cant imagine i'll keep watching with her gone.

Rocketta
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I heard on CNN that Rosie was campaigning really hard for the Price is Right Gig after June. I bet THAT had the most to do with it. She probably wasn't willing to forgo a chance to host that show for 3.33 million/year. :shrug:

Kenny
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I'll stop watching when she's gone, I believe.

Also, you'd think ABC would rather sign her to a 1 year contract to ensure she'll be back and hope she changes her mind than to pressure her to sign a 3 year.

And it wasn't about the money at all. She wanted 10 mil for 1 year and they wanted to give her 30 mil for 3 years.

Kenny
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Rosie demanded more money than The View can pay, since it isn't that
much of a cash cow. It's daytime tv, and it's a group, and they already
know the forumla is to bring in a new controverisal figure once in a while,
let them spike ratings, and then let them leave.

It works.

The format is what sells. Pluck in new faces as need be.

Rosie made Babs money.
That's all Babs cares about.

As we saw with Star Jones, Babs is the Queen. She will not be
upstaged by anyone. But, she sure knows how to keep the
ratings coming in...she's not the top dog for nothing.

Rosie will likely get her own show again. She'll also probably
implode again, and move on to something else after she steps on
too many toes w/her crazy comments.

Not at all. ABC simply wanted stability with a 3 year contract, Rosie wanted 1 year only.

ToeTag
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I heard on CNN that Rosie was campaigning really hard for the Price is Right Gig after June. I bet THAT had the most to do with it. She probably wasn't willing to forgo a chance to host that show for 3.33 million/year. :shrug:

Oh, I hope CNN is right! She would be awesome on something like that! I hope she gets the job.:cool:

RVD
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Dang!! I thought she was leaving 'The Planet'!

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Trump!

How about Ivanka Trump as a replacement.. she would add intellect, reasoning, and gorgeusness to the show..

harloo
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Rosie wanted $10 million for one season. ABC wanted to pay her $10 million for three seasons. Rosie wasn't let go. They couldn't come to terms for her next contract.

After her one year contract expired did you seriously think it would be renewed? The fueds were hard for ABC to keep up with, I'm pretty sure the producers and Babs decided not to offer Rosie the money she requested in order to phase her out. If you're truly valuable to any company, MONEY is no object.
:)

Rocketta
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
After her one year contract expired did you seriously think it would be renewed? The fueds were hard for ABC to keep up with, I'm pretty sure the producers and Babs decided not to offer Rosie the money she requested in order to phase her out. If you're truly valuable to any company, MONEY is no object.

I think you are grabbing at straws. ABC wanted her for 3 years, Rosie only wanted to do 1. How does that equate to ABC wanted to phase her out after a year? :scratch:

Kenny
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
People are going to look at a situation and pull out the things that they want to hear. It's crazy. They won't just take the word of the actual person this is all about. Rosie has already addressed this, and yet there are varying opinions.

Really, all of this negativity comes from people who want to bring Rosie down in a way.

griffin
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
The idea that ABC would offer a 3-year contract to someone they wanted to get rid of is just idiotic.

What were they planning to do if she agreed, then?

I usually find Rosie bombastic and annoying, but The View was vapid and pointless long before she joined the crew.

What Kenny said.

Renee
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
but did they really offer her a 3 year contract? I'm just not buying this 3 year/1 year issue. There's more to her leaving than that.

griffin
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Why? Because there's actual information out there that indicates otherwise?

Or you can't understand why the network would want to hang on to someone who'd increased their ratings?

Denise4925
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Dang!! I thought she was leaving 'The Planet'!

Helen Lawson
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Bingo. And everyone saves face and it's no one's fault.

Infiniti2001
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Rosie rubs people the wrong way, but she's very honest. She's not the type who would keep her mouth shut to please ABC. I do believe her take on the contract issue :shrug:

Helen Lawson
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Why? Because there's actual information out there that indicates otherwise?

Or you can't understand why the network would want to hang on to someone who'd increased their ratings?

I think that show is all Barbara Walters and she just didn't like a lot of the negative coverage the show was getting, rating be damned and she's big enough there to make those decisions. I honestly believe the stuff Donald Trump said Barbara told him was true. She could not afford to unceremoniously dump Rosie like with Star because she learned her lesson with Star, and Rosie is much more outspoken and famous than Star and the controversy would have lasted longer. So they offer her a deal with pathetic money they know she won't take. I'm not sure Rosie really wanted to hang around anyway, the clips I've seen, she seemed sort of bored.

Bijoux0021
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Rosie rubs people the wrong way, but she's very honest. She's not the type who would keep her mouth shut to please ABC. I do believe her take on the contract issue :shrug:
Let's hope she gets her own show soon so she can feel free to say what she wants. I love her honesty, and it's very refreshing to have another point of view. There are lots of right-wing nuts on TV and radio saying outrageous things everyday, yet they don't want Rosie to have the same freedom. They can't be happier that she's leaving.

Bijoux0021
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I think that show is all Barbara Walters and she just didn't like a lot of the negative coverage the show was getting, rating be damned and she's big enough there to make those decisions. I honestly believe the stuff Donald Trump said Barbara told him was true. She could not afford to unceremoniously dump Rosie like with Star because she learned her lesson with Star, and Rosie is much more outspoken and famous than Star and the controversy would have lasted longer. So they offer her a deal with pathetic money they know she won't take. I'm not sure Rosie really wanted to hang around anyway, the clips I've seen, she seemed sort of bored.
:worship: :worship: :worship: