PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate LUCK in Tennis?

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Do you personally think LUCK plays a very important role in a tennis match or is it so slim, that it doesn't matter?

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
There might be some matches where luck is the deciding factor but in general the better player will win the match!

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM
And if two equal good players play against each other?

framb
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
There might be some matches where luck is the deciding factor but in general the better player will win the match!

oh yes, I agree with that :D

win for who have luck and more hungry of victory ;)

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
That is when a weak player verus a good player. But when 2 very good players meet it doesn't apply anymore.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Then, the player who is better in this particular match will win!

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
That is when a weak player verus a good player. But when 2 very good players meet it doesn't apply anymore.

So, you mean in professional tennis?

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Then, the player who is better in this particular match will win!

:lol: Don't agree. I think the luck plays a factor then. Especially if it comes to tie-break.

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM
So, you mean in professional tennis?

Of course.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Of course.

How should we know? ;) Tennis is tennis! :p

But it doesn't change much...

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
:lol: Don't agree. I think the luck plays a factor then. Especially if it comes to tie-break.

How many matches end in a third set tie-break? ;)
And even if, the player who can handle his/her nerves better (is more focused ...) will win the match!

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
For example:

In a close match one player hits more winners than the other and still loses, even though the unforced errors are at the same level. She/he won, because she didn't make the mistakes at the BIG POINTS.

Harvs
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Absoloubtely. I think tennis is such a great game as there are so many things that influence a game. Luck is one of these factors... so yes!

FrOzon
For example:

In a close match one player hits more winners than the other and still loses, even though the unforced errors are at the same level. She/he won, because she didn't make the mistakes at the BIG POINTS.

What do you mean exactly? You mean the "other" player won because he did less mistakes at the big points. So it's no luck, it's a sign of "quality" to play your best tennis at the big points. Btw: There are also "forced errors"..

Your question is if luck is "VERY IMPORTANT" in tennis! And in at least more than 95% of all matches, it's not relevant. So the question must definitely be no!

gelrad
Long term:
Luck has an affect for the bad side, eiter as direct bad luch : injory, or that a player does not get any good luck so money/mental reasons prevent the player to get to his potential...

Player with no money problems and good mental will only need luck to stay healthy...

There is also luck to chose the right couch, to get sponsers etc...

Short term:
Good luck in a draw can help the player get better seeding and mentaly, but it won't have much affect in the long term...

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Absoloubtely. I think tennis is such a great game as there are so many things that influence a game. Luck is one of these factors... so yes!

But very important??

Serena/Justine/etc. won so many slams because they were lucky?? No, they are better!

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Long term:
Luck has an affect for the bad side, eiter as direct bad luch : injory, or that a player does not get any good luck so money/mental reasons prevent the player to get to his potential...

Player with no money problems and good mental will only need luck to stay healthy...

There is also luck to chose the right couch, to get sponsers etc...

Short term:
Good luck in a draw can help the player get better seeding and mentaly, but it won't have much affect in the long term...

I don't think that he's speaking about this kind of "luck" (there is also the luck to be born at the right place/time...) ;)

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I speak about luck in a tennis match and obviously you have a different opinion than the majority here, because luck plays a very important role in tennis. The players you mentioned won the slams because they are good players of course. But that is not the point here. I am speaking about matches in general. About the very close matches, where both players deserve the win, but only one will get it.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I speak about luck in a tennis match and obviously you have a different opinion than the majority here, because luck plays a very important role in tennis. The players you mentioned won the slams because they are good players of course. But that is not the point here. I am speaking about matches in general. About the very close matches, where both players deserve the win, but only one will get it.

Matches in general oder very close matches? When does a player deserve the win? But this is not the question in your poll! And the answer to your question is not dependent on a poll result either! ;) Luck isn't very important in tennis and that's very important because it makes this sport more valuable!

You may read this article about "sport and luck" (it's only in German)
http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mensch/0,1518,467126,00.html

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Your article is about football and not about tennis. I am speaking about tennis. If your opinion is another one than that of the majority here, it doesn't meant it's the correct one. It's ONLY your opinion and not more.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Your article is about football and not about tennis. I am speaking about tennis. If your opinion is another one than that of the majority here, it doesn't meant it's the correct one. It's ONLY your opinion and not more.

If you read the article... ;)

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Luck is involved in any given tournament. Who is healthy and peaking at the right moment.
A good player who can stay healthy will earn millions, even if they never get into their zone at a major.

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
If you read the article... ;)

Only because of that one line I won't believe an university professor. Did he do any study about? No. What can he prove? He speaks one line there and all should believe that? :lol:

liuxuan
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
luck can come into the match the odd time and play an important factor eg SprembledonGate!

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Only because of that one line I won't believe an university professor. Did he do any study about? No. What can he prove? He speaks one line there and all should believe that? :lol:

You don't have to believe anybody... but I don't see why you started this thread actually! :lol:

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
luck can come into the match the odd time and play an important factor eg SprembledonGate!

:lol:

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
You don't have to believe anybody... but I don't see why you started this thread actually! :lol:

Obviously to see what others think about it :haha:

kiwifan
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Luck plays a role in a few matches but for the most part its the players will to win and skill.

Even when Luck especially Bad Luck seems present in a match the player's mental toughness in dealing with Bad Luck overrides the actual situations where the player was simply "unlucky".

Not to pick on Lindsay D, but she would be an example of someone who doesn't react well when something quirky doesn't go her way. Everything in her personality visibly "gives up" for a few points. While there are other players who no matter what seem to have an ability to just get on with the next point.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Luck plays a role in a few matches but for the most part its the players will to win and skill.

That's it! And that's a shortcoming in the poll that there's no option "In a few matches". But "no, not at all" is definitely closer to reality than "yes, definitely"! :)

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Luck has to play an important role. Let cords that come when one has break-point, double-faults when your opponent has break-point, rain starting when you are on a roll, players who take a break when you are on a roll (and we all know why) ...

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Luck has to play an important role. Let cords that come when one has break-point, double-faults when your opponent has break-point, rain starting when you are on a roll, players who take a break when you are on a roll (and we all know why) ...

So give me some examples when there were let cords at break points. They don't happen very often! And that they are deciding for the match, it's even more uncommon. Double-fault at a break point is not bad luck, it's a sign of nervousness! Are you playing tennis on your own?

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
So give me some examples when there were let cords at break points. They don't happen very often! And that they are deciding for the match, it's even more uncommon. Double-fault at a break point is not bad luck, it's a sign of nervousness! Are you playing tennis on your own?

It's ok if you don't believe it plays an important role. No one judges you on that :lol: I believe it does play an important role. And I don't know how many matches and close matches you have seen, but I don't think many.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
It's ok if you don't believe it plays an important role. No one judges you on that :lol: I believe it does play an important role. And I don't know how many matches and close matches you have seen, but I don't think many.

I've seen many! :wavey: And I've played many as well!

And just to remember: Your question in the poll is about "tennis" in general and not about "close matches", so...

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM
My poll is about tennis-matches in general and since you came with the genious answer "the better one wins" (what every child knows) I started to speak about matches where both players are equaly good, which you reduced to an article. Anyway the poll is about tennis matches in general and if you come up with answers like "the better one wins" don't expect ppl to agree with you and don't turn my words around just to make an excuse for "what you think it's correct"-answer.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Preperation plays a far more important role

Chrissie-fan
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
It's not possible to make a general statement about this. Some close matches will be won or lost by the player with the superior stamina, others because one of them plays the key points better or because one player "wants it more" and in some matches luck may indeed play a part. Each match is different.

tennnisfannn
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
AO 2002, didn't Hingis mishit a smash at championship point, nerves for Hingis but extreme good luck for Jen coz that match may have ended right there. Consider that hingis rarely misses any of that.
The draw has alot to do with how far any player goes. Like on the men's side, if Blake draws federer in rd 4 and roddick meets federer in the finals, you cannot really say that roddick is the better player than Blake, it just means they go as far as the they can go before they lose to the best player.

crazillo
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Luck definitely plays its role, e.g. netcords are luck. Usually the better player winds, I'd say that luck plays a bigger role on clay (the lines, "holes" on the court, wind, sun) than indoors though.

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Luck definitely plays its role, e.g. netcords are luck. Usually the better player winds, I'd say that luck plays a bigger role on clay (the lines, "holes" on the court, wind, sun) than indoors though.

Yes, netcords are luck or an uneven ground (also on grass court btw), so it might be that the ball doesn't bounce as it is expected. BUT: The question is in how many cases are these "balls" decisive for the match? I think it's less than 1% of all matches!

FrOzon
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
My poll is about tennis-matches in general and since you came with the genious answer "the better one wins" (what every child knows) I started to speak about matches where both players are equaly good, which you reduced to an article. Anyway the poll is about tennis matches in general and if you come up with answers like "the better one wins" don't expect ppl to agree with you and don't turn my words around just to make an excuse for "what you think it's correct"-answer.

I wrote "in general the better one wins". That means that there are only few matches which are decided by luck! So if the poll is about tennis matches in general and in general the "better one wins", that means that luck is NOT VERY IMPORTANT in tennis to get a winner of a match! That's all... Sorry, I don't think that's hard to understand and I don't see where I would turn around any words!

tennisjunky
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
you make your own luck to some part. usually the player that puts themselves in place to win gets more of the lucky breaks. topspin never hurts either...lol.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I don't think there's luck that causes an overall win per se, but there are moments in the match where a player gets lucky to get a point that can turn the emotional tide in their favor.

In any case, I was watching three shows this week on TTC that mentioned luck being a huge part of tennis. I hadn't really thought about it before coincidentally hearing various opinions on how luck could effect a match until -- well this week.

wicked0987
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Luck is unintentional, so I think that it plays an important role on point per point level, but not on the overall match. Players generally don't win a match accidentally.

On the other hand, there is also lucky draws, luck with bad playing opponents and such which can in fact affect more than just a couple of points. Wonder what people think about these?

crazillo
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, netcords are luck or an uneven ground (also on grass court btw), so it might be that the ball doesn't bounce as it is expected. BUT: The question is in how many cases are these "balls" decisive for the match? I think it's less than 1% of all matches!

One example of that was when I played rrfnpump some days ago - I was REALLY lucky with the net, in the warm-up, but also in the match quite a bit and also on the setpoint. :p Well, it happens I guess.

hdfb
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM
In a lot of your tight matches, luck does play a role. Some very harsh calls that could have gone either way are sometimes made on crucial points like break points, and even game points. The very first example is one overrule in the Davenport vs Molik QF at AO which Molik should have won the game at the end of the third set, but due to a bad call, eventually lost the game.

Let cords annoy the heck out of me during important points!

Oizo
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
AO 2002, didn't Hingis mishit a smash at championship point, nerves for Hingis but extreme good luck for Jen coz that match may have ended right there. Consider that hingis rarely misses any of that.
The draw has alot to do with how far any player goes. Like on the men's side, if Blake draws federer in rd 4 and roddick meets federer in the finals, you cannot really say that roddick is the better player than Blake, it just means they go as far as the they can go before they lose to the best player.

Thanx for another proof :D

Hashim.
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
sometimes its an imp factor..

Rafael Mourinho
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
If you played Steffi in Slam finals you was UNLUCKY.

If you played Momo in slam finals you also win LOTTERY.