PDA

View Full Version : Groenefeld- RG Darkhorse?

So Disrespectful
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Everyone has practically discounted ALG from a good showing at RG because of her recent slump. I think that the way she played in Fed Cup was a good sign, she was able to pull out a really tough win, and had already improved ten fold for her second match.

Dependant on her draw, and how she does at her next couple of tournaments, I think she's in with a big shot to reach the QF, or at least the last 16.

Uranus
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Well she has QF to defend here and I doubt she'll be able to do it.

MyskinaManiac
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I think if she gets her confidence back, and wins three or four matches between now and RG, I think she could at least make the 3rd round.

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
she's not a darkhorse but she could get far.

Harvs
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
You would have to be kidding. If she wins a round that is progress for her.
Calling her a darkhorse is (to me) just a stupid comment.

aussie_fan
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM
She might be able to win a round or two but to call her a darkhorse is a bit too far.

switz
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
i mean if she gets her form back she certainly could do something even if she still is overweight.

I remember one year Myriam came to RG very overweight and out of form and went onto the beat Sprem (when she was on her hot streak) and had Kuznetsova down breaks deep into the third.

who knows.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Groenefeld beat Kostanic 6-4 6-3. That would be her highest ranked victory in 8 months. Quite possibly Groenefeld is beginning to recovery her game, yes.

But does it make her a darkhorse for RG? I don't think so. Vera Dushevina beat Kostanic 6-3 6-1 a couple of weeks earlier. Is she a contender to get to the quarterfinals too? What about Jill Craybas? I think one needs to do more than beat Jelena Kostanic to be regarded as a potential RG quarterfinalist.

We will see how she gets on. Personally if ALG can win three or four claycourt matches over the course of the remaining clay season she will have done well and indicated she is on the way back. A win or two at RG would be a fine result for her right now.

keirana332
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
errrr, no question ALG is playing better tennis but i wouldn't go so far to call her a dark horse, she would be fortunate to defend her points here

The Kaz
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Groenefeld can only be a dark horse because she is as big as one and not because of her tennis - period :lol:

Ben.
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
well if groenefeld can get a few wins on the board during the clay season, then there's no doubt that she can a few rounds at RG. but to say that she is a darkhorse so soon is just unrealistic.

sugimomo
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM
theers not a chance she will defend her quarterfinal at rolland garros, maybe a second or if lucky third round.

Slumpsova
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM
she is the darkhorse for players who will drop out of top 50 :help:

mr_burns
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
she will be unseeded and just has beaten kostanic...I have doubts she will win more than 2 matches

Derek.
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
She might be able to win a round or two but to call her a darkhorse is a bit too far.

Ditto.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Definitely not.

esquímaux
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hmmm...:scratch:.....I agree! Darkhorse is a bit of a stretch, but darkcow....maybe.....:hehehe:....;)

MatchpointPRT
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
No, she will win maybe the 1st round because she will have an easy opponent probably. But after that i think she lose...

selyoink
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM
No she is not a darkhorse. If she had the same form as last year then maybe she would be a darkhorse.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
:spit:

What...is she coming dressed like Dark Horse? :scratch:

Craigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
No.

darkangel23
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
BUT ALSO she needed 3 sets to beat Top 200 player Ivana Lisjak which she won closely 7-5 in the third. I think she gets into 2r if the draw gives her the opportunity of not facing a seeded player in first round. I guess even against her compatriot Müller she would lose...

crazillo
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Maybe 3rd round or so, I think that would be a good achievement. Hopefully she doesn't draw a strong player.

Orion
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Darkhorse as in winning the whole thing, or darkhorse as in providing a suprise? I can imagine her surprising someone, but no way she wins the title.

She's certainly not a player you'd want to see in the first two rounds, because if she really does pull herself together in the meantime, she can be devastating. That said, I don't think it's going to happen. She's going to need more time to get consistency and confidence, and while she's played well on clay, I really think it'll take the indoor season for her to make serious measures to get back to the top 20.

Orion
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Looking at her past 52 weeks, the only really embarrassing losses I can see are to Knapp and Harkleroad. Other than that, she was either not the favorite, or playing someone very capable of pulling off the upset. Take any single one of them, and it's not embarrassing. The sad part is that they happen over and over and over. Tough, too, since I really thought she was going to establish herself as a top 10 threat.

JackFrost
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Darkhorse? Only if the whole top 50 is injured and the rest of the top 100 in a slump. :lol:

Modiac.
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM
"Darkhorse"? Unluckily ALG has no relations with this words,at least for now. :tape: