PDA

View Full Version : Serena plans French Open surprise

bucklemyshoe
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Serena Williams likes proving people wrong and intends to surprise the skeptics at next month's French Open.

Williams stormed to victory in the year's opening Grand Slam, thrashing Maria Sharapova in the finals of the Australian Open despite finishing 2006 ranked 95th after battling injuries and appearing to critics to be in less than top condition.

"Everybody had written me off. Everyone was like 'she can't win a Grand Slam,' which I thought was outrageous," Williams told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday. "It was good. I like nothing more than proving people wrong."

After winning her eighth Grand Slam trophy, the 25-year-old American last month claimed her fourth Sony Ericsson Open title in Miami, overcoming world No. 1 Justine Henin after dropping the opening set 6-0.

Despite knee problems that bothered her during this month's U.S. Fed Cup win over Belgium and a groin pull that forced her out of her first clay court warmup in Charleston, Williams said she planned to spring her next surprise in Paris.

"I have something in mind, but I'm not going to say. It has something to do with clay," the 12th-ranked Williams said slyly. "I'm really looking forward to Roland Garros. It's going to be fun."

Williams won her only French Open crown in 2002, which began a run of four Grand Slam titles in a row that was dubbed the Serena Slam.

Victory on the red clay would bring her halfway to a classic Grand Slam sweep with Wimbledon and the U.S. Open left on the 2007 calendar.

"I think it can be done. I play well on all surfaces so I'm a good candidate to do it. Who knows?

"My knees are good, it feels much better.

"I'm playing again in Germany in a couple of weeks, then there's Rome," she said about her preparation for the French.

"I want to start sliding more. I've been playing on hard courts for so long, so intensely that I haven't been sliding as well as I want to, so I have to work harder on that."

Williams has put some of her off-court interests on hold while concentrating on tennis.

"But I love acting so much. In the fall I might have some opportunities to do some things.

"In a perfect world I could do a full season and be done in late September and then film a movie and start (tennis) again in January," she said. "In a perfect world."

Williams has appeared in several film and television dramas is keen to develop a movie career.

Despite the WTA Tour plans to shorten the season, Williams was critical of scheduling changes to begin in 2009.

"There's a lot of changes. I think it's drastic, almost too drastic," she said.

"All the tournaments are in Europe, Russia and all the players seem to be from there. To grow the sport more in the United States, the tour should focus on tournaments in the United States," she said, noting the shrinking number of U.S. events on the calendar.

"I think they're changing the schedule to cater to Europe and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/tennis/04/24/bc.tennis.serena/index.html?section=si_latest

Denise4925
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) --
"There's a lot of changes. I think it's drastic, almost too drastic," she said.

"All the tournaments are in Europe, Russia and all the players seem to be from there. To grow the sport more in the United States, the tour should focus on tournaments in the United States," she said, noting the shrinking number of U.S. events on the calendar.

"I think they're changing the schedule to cater to Europe and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/tennis/04/24/bc.tennis.serena/index.html?section=si_latest

I think she's right. But, money is always the catalyst in these things and it doesn't matter if it's the right thing to do for the sport.

Orion
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I think she's right. But, money is always the catalyst in these things and it doesn't matter if it's the right thing to do for the sport.

But in fairness, Serena also pointed out that all the players seem to be coming from Europe. The USA had such a run of talent, from the inception of the tour up through the present day, and if tennis is waning there, it IS the right thing to switch the focus to the countries where the young talent is coming from.

stevos
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Is the surprise going to be an outfit? Or the way she plays? I'm kind of confused here.

But I'm excited! :D

Denise4925
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:30 PM
But in fairness, Serena also pointed out that all the players seem to be coming from Europe. The USA had such a run of talent, from the inception of the tour up through the present day, and if tennis is waning there, it IS the right thing to switch the focus to the countries where the young talent is coming from.

But, the point is that there is such a drought here, it doesn't help the sport here in the US. It doesn't make sense to take most of the tournaments away. It will cause more of a disinterest.

RenaSlam.
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Serena's the shit...

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Russia???!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is only one single tournament in Russia, and for a country with such a large population as well as more tennis players in the top 100 than any other country that hardly could be considered too many. Not enough if anything.

MisterQ
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Is the surprise going to be an outfit? Or the way she plays? I'm kind of confused here.

I heard it was a neon corset and a hot pink wooden racquet! :bounce:

MyskinaManiac
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Serena attempting to win RG even before it has started... this has been done before by none other than herself.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM
But, the point is that there is such a drought here, it doesn't help the sport here in the US. It doesn't make sense to take most of the tournaments away. It will cause more of a disinterest.

Hmmm....where do I keep the tournaments? Over here where they are selling out and getting alot of attention or over there where stadiums are often half empty and no one seems that interested in tennis? Hmmmm......

Oizo
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I knew she planned something like this after her thoughts about the upcoming tournaments and especially the slams. It would be great if she and Roger would do it at the same time.

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Hmmm....where do I keep the tournaments? Over here where they are selling out and getting alot of attention or over there where stadiums are often half empty and no one seems that interested in tennis? Hmmmm......

I said in my first post it was about money. I'm not saying that it's not a good business decision for now, but how will it effect the tour in the long run?

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I knew she planned something like this after her thoughts about the upcoming tournaments and especially the slams. It would be great if she and Roger would do it at the same time.

I was thinking the same :hearts:

The way Rogers going I think Serena has more of a chance of doing it:lol:

Still beating Henin on clay is no mean feat, especially at RG. The last time she was defeated in the 2nd week of RG was 2001 :eek:

Still Serena's main problem is injury then Henin, but if anyone can beat Henin Serena can :bounce:

Nicolás89
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM
it would be cool if she wins the french but if martina has any chances to do her thing, well then i woulnt mind a litle-tiny injury :)

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Still beating Henin on clay is no mean feat, especially at RG. The last time she was defeated in the 2nd week of RG was 2001 :eek:

Still Serena's main problem is injury then Henin, but if anyone can beat Henin Serena can :bounce:

Henin can be beaten by Kusnetsowa or Petrova on clay also. She was very lucky to have won that French Open when she was match points down against Sveta. I think Serena can overpower her on clay again. On grass and hard-court for sure. On clay it's a matter of tactics.

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Henin can be beaten by Kusnetsowa or Petrova on clay also. She was very lucky to have won that French Open when she was match points down against Sveta. I think Serena can overpower her on clay again. On grass and hard-court for sure. On clay it's a matter of tactics.

Yes you're right. I think part of the reason Henin has won so much is that she has a mental edge over others on clay and of course is mentally stronger anyway. But of course it's different against Serena. In their 2003 SF Henin was mentally stronger at the end, but this time I think it will be Serena who wants to win more :fiery:

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Yes you're right. I think part of the reason Henin has won so much is that she has a mental edge over others on clay and of course is mentally stronger anyway. But of course it's different against Serena. In their 2003 SF Henin was mentally stronger at the end, but this time I think it will be Serena who wants to win more :fiery:

Yeah, that 2003 match was under a bad sign because of that sign incident, but this time it will be different ;) She is much stronger mentally, to let that happen again. :) I can't wait for the Berlin, Rome and French Open :bounce: but more ... I can't wait for Wimbledon :yippee:

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I can never wait for Wimbledon, I get depressed for about two weeks every year after it finishes :lol:

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I can never wait for Wimbledon, I get depressed for about two weeks every year after it finishes :lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean :lol: That is a bad time afterwards, but I watch the matches I have on tape to not get depressed :rolls:

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean :lol: That is a bad time afterwards, but I watch the matches I have on tape to not get depressed :rolls:

Well it was doubly depressing last year as none of my favourites won so I had no good matches to watch :fiery: :lol:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:46 AM

OR..., do I create them in the country with the biggest potential market (excluding China) in the world, ie, the USA? Hmmm....

dreamgoddess099
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I heard it was a neon corset and a hot pink wooden racquet! :bounce:

Actually I hear she's planing to invoke the spirit of Suzanne Lenglen and play in a full skirt. Serena's trying to show renowned modesty.

alfajeffster
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:56 AM
..."I think they're changing the schedule to cater to Europe and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

I agree with not liking it, however, tournament organizers here in the states still just don't get it- there isn't a single big red clay tournament for the women to play here on US soil, only har-tru, which outside of providing a slower bounce, can actually hurt preparation for sliding on red clay- totally different surfaces. I hope she does well, especially in Rome!

iWill
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM

They should switch it but not as drastically because there are still Americans that watch tennis and go to tourneys so to write all of them off isnt as fair and since most of the season is on hard courts anyway putting alot of tourneys in N. America only makes since since thats really all we have here

CaptnMatt
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
huh?

America still has 3 A-Level events (which will each hold atleast 6 top ten players)....Indian Wells and Miami (which are mandatory, so will have top-quality fields), and Cincinatti.......Then comes the Canadian Open (which Americans could have access to if they REALLY wanted to).....then comes the B-line tournaments, one of which can have unlimited entry (New Haven).....Los Angeles and Stanford. Let's not forget the US OPEN, A grand slam....

hhmmm....compared to other European countries, and Asia-Pacific countries.....America seems really hard done by. :rolleyes:

azza
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:05 AM

OK vent time

Who the hell does she think she is saying this? Europe has more players in the world then america and why does America deserve to hgave more tournament? why cant Australia have more tournaments Or England have more tournaments? the Australia has the whole on January because the AO Europe should have the part from Feb-July due to the FO and Wimbly why the fuck are there tournies in America during that time anwyayz? the USO isnt till ages

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM
to succeed on clay requires lotsa patience and the 'queen of patience 'as we know on tour is serena.thank god serena is not all talk ,she delivers when push comes to shove.if i were serena i will keep quiet and when time comes thenl shock and awe them all.
as for all tournaments moving to russia,there is no money to be made in russia or most of eastern europe.i understand asia because of bigger market and some of the sponsors are in asia.tennis is gaining popularity in asia at an fast rate especially china and in the near future most wta players will come from china.

DemWilliamsGulls
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Serena's the shit...

OKAY!? Baby Serena Williams is the hottest woman on the WTA tour...I'm guessing she is about fall out on the court in some high fashion frock (clothes for those who dont know what frock is lol) you go girl! :worship:

SelesFan70
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Ironic that Serena Williams is complaining about anyone "cutting back" on tournaments or an abbreviated schedule. :lol:

:devil:

WorldWar24
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM
OK vent time

Who the hell does she think she is saying this? Europe has more players in the world then america and why does America deserve to hgave more tournament? why cant Australia have more tournaments Or England have more tournaments? the Australia has the whole on January because the AO Europe should have the part from Feb-July due to the FO and Wimbly why the fuck are there tournies in America during that time anwyayz? the USO isnt till ages

I agree, it's not like american tennis isn't being given a break. Everything is decided to serve the americans' interests first, to be honest. The decline that american tennis is experiencing isn't going to be fixed with some calendar changes or tournaments in america. That affects american top players today, doesn't have anything to do with keeping the sport healthy in the US. Russia has one tournament and is conquering the world, because 15 years ago a horde of kids picked up tennis rackets. I doubt there's a horde of american kids hitting the courts today, and that's where the real problem is

supergrunt
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Its going to be new Nike clay shoes! :D

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM

Chris Evert warned of this happening back when she was WTA President in 1989. Its come to pass.

I hope that Carson stays on board (San Diego got cut I heard) here in California. Indian Wells too, but especially Carson since it allows people who live in and close to Los Angeles CITY to experience women's tennis (Compton where the sisters spent some of their childhood is on the other side of Carson).

Now I understand how the European players felt at the height of the Slims circuit (although, I think most Russian and Czech's and other easter bloc players liked playing in the US because of the political issues back then...).

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:31 AM

:lol:

That's what I was thinking too :lol:

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:41 AM
OK vent time

Who the hell does she think she is saying this? Europe has more players in the world then america and why does America deserve to hgave more tournament? why cant Australia have more tournaments Or England have more tournaments? the Australia has the whole on January because the AO Europe should have the part from Feb-July due to the FO and Wimbly why the fuck are there tournies in America during that time anwyayz? the USO isnt till agesbecause she can and
she has earned the right to voice her opinion.she has more clout than most players on tour,venus managed to convince wimbledon to equalize earnings ,serena is responsible for the introduction of hawkeye system and has had umpires fired or suspended thats the kind of power that the sisters have. get over it!dont hate appreciate!

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I agree, it's not like american tennis isn't being given a break. Everything is decided to serve the americans' interests first, to be honest. The decline that american tennis is experiencing isn't going to be fixed with some calendar changes or tournaments in america. That affects american top players today, doesn't have anything to do with keeping the sport healthy in the US. Russia has one tournament and is conquering the world, because 15 years ago a horde of kids picked up tennis rackets. I doubt there's a horde of american kids hitting the courts today, and that's where the real problem is

I don't think you're all wrong. The problem in the states is the CALIBER of kids picking up the racquet these days, but that doesn't obviate the fact of the U.S. still being a HUGE market, who's potential has yet to be realized. It's simply bad business to ignore this fact.

In The Zone
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I don't think you're all wrong. The problem in the states is the CALIBER of kids picking up the racquet these days, but that doesn't obviate the fact of the U.S. still being a HUGE market, who's potential has yet to be realized. It's simply bad business to ignore this fact.

Well said.
But a logical shift from America to other markets is important. However, a complete denial of American tournaments is unnecessary and the fields at Amelia Island, Charleston, Stanford, Los Angeles, and New Haven are really going to show it. It's sad to realize but Serena and Venus will not be around for much longer and potentially, Americans will not have as much as influence as we think. Unless Vania King wakes up finally! :angel:

WorldWar24
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:50 AM

I don't think Serena was talking about business, I thought she was adressing the more serious matter that is the future of the sport in the US. And we all know americans only pay to watch americans for the most part, and american tennis has never had so few top players as today. When they're gone, you can market your business all you want, you won't have the american players and tennis will be sent into oblivion, and then it will be nearly impossible to bring it back. Right now the US are training the future european stars, then will come the chinese. As soon as these other countries develop their own facilities, the US will be a tennis wasteland

LH2HBH
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Good for her that she is planning a surprise but I'd just as soon have Venus win it!

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:57 AM
it would be so amazing if her, or VENUS (esp. venus cuz she's been close a few times), or maybe jankovic won THE FO this year!!!!

marlon
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:58 AM
fuck all that shit u.s. will always be the soul of tennis

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I don't think Serena was talking about business, I thought she was adressing the more serious matter that is the future of the sport in the US. ... the US will be a tennis wasteland

I think you're wrong about what Serena was talking about. I think she was talking about the TOUR and who it's catering to now, ie Europeans and Russians.

Sorry. Just went back and read what Serena said. You were right.

She should know, the tour isn't responsible for developing American players. That's the USTA's province.

As for the US becoming a tennis wasteland. :rolleyes: that will never happen. I don't know if you're an American or not, but there's a certain point where American pride kicks in and would never allow that to happen- at least not for an extended period of time- especially not in a sport that was dominated by Americans. For the record, I don't think that US women's tennis will ever be the juggernaut(sp) it once was, I think the rest of the world has too much pride for that ;) , but it will never become a wasteland.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Well said.
But a logical shift from America to other markets is important. However, a complete denial of American tournaments is unnecessary and the fields at Amelia Island, Charleston, Stanford, Los Angeles, and New Haven are really going to show it. It's sad to realize but Serena and Venus will not be around for much longer and potentially, Americans will not have as much as influence as we think. Unless Vania King wakes up finally! :angel:

Sorry, I didn't see your post.

I agree. Other markets should be developed, just not at the expense of the US market.

veesbest
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:18 AM
great words from serena justine should keep an eye out know more sliding from serena could knock her off

WorldWar24
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:57 AM
but it will never become a wasteland.

hopefully not. and I do agree about the american pride thing kicking in. It's a strange phenomenon but it really happens.

darrinbaker00
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Actually I hear she's planing to invoke the spirit of Suzanne Lenglen and play in a full skirt. Serena's trying to show renowned modesty.
As long as she doesn't sip cognac during changeovers like Mlle. Lenglen did..... :drink:

friendsita
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Agree bout the last thing... :worship:

lacigirl
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:41 AM
A Serena Slam 2007 would be great!

So Disrespectful
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
It's funny how Serena is one of, if not the, favourite for the RG title and she still has all of these "skeptics" :rolleyes:

But I guess we can let the headliners have their fun :D

friendsita
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:49 AM
because she can and
she has earned the right to voice her opinion.she has more clout than most players on tour,venus managed to convince wimbledon to equalize earnings ,serena is responsible for the introduction of hawkeye system and has had umpires fired or suspended thats the kind of power that the sisters have. get over it!dont hate appreciate!

yeah man, like it or not that's true :shrug:

hwanmig
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I have something in mind, but I'm not going to say. It has something to do with clay," the 12th-ranked Williams said slyly. "I'm really looking forward to Roland Garros. It's going to be fun.

What is she gonna do turn clay into hardcourt:rolleyes:.
Serena in another one of her charades, she might have prove me wrong in AO but I'm sure I'm not gonna her smugged face come FO final.

Even Justine the 3 time champion knows how to keep her mouth shut.

StarDuvallGrant
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:31 AM
:clap2: Serena, go as far as you can and have fun while doing it!

Tennisation
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM
what surprise? pulling out from the 1st round at the last minute?:tape:
jk:angel: :bolt:

darrinbaker00
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM
what surprise? pulling out from the 1st round at the last minute?:tape:
jk:angel: :bolt:
Actually, given Serena's 2004-2006 history, NOT pulling out would be the surprise. ;)

Tennisation
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:38 AM
on a more serious note.....is she planning to play dubs with Vee?:eek:

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:42 AM
u go gurl,serena!prove them doubters wrong again!:lol:

darrinbaker00
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:49 AM
on a more serious note.....is she planning to play dubs with Vee?:eek:
You know what would REALLY be cool? Venus vs. Serena in the singles final, Williams/Williams d. ____________ in the doubles final, and Venus/Bob Bryan vs. Serena/Mike Bryan in the mixed final. I would fly to Paris to see THAT. ;)

Asaph
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Serena has the right to insinuate anything she wants. She admits to having a plan. So what, I am sure the others do too just Serena voiced it. Because she was most likely asked in some way. So no she does not need to be quiet.

Kunal
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM
bring it rena

Direwolf
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM

yes the players seems to be coming in from all over places such as Europe n
Asia....
but theres one thing in common among the top up and coming European players....
is that most of them, if not all...
trains/has trained in America...

i think that she basically said that
her surprise would be her movement...
cuz it has sucked lately...
and that she would be a clayskater....

Rome
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Serena in another one of her charades, she might have prove me wrong in AO but I'm sure I'm not gonna her smugged face come FO final.

LOL at this guy/girl Serena has won FO before you know that? oh i forgot you think Amélie going to win this year........hehe

Josh.
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
she's got confindence, god bless her :)

rockbottom
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM
This is fact:
serena has total of 8 grand slams. 1 us open when she was 18.

seles has total of 9 grand slams. 7 grand slams by age 20.

I mean both has acheived much in the careers but by those facts could serena called the greatest? she would have to win 1 more to equal seles and then 1 more to top seles.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM
You know what would REALLY be cool? Venus vs. Serena in the singles final, Williams/Williams d. ____________ in the doubles final, and Venus/Bob Bryan vs. Serena/Mike Bryan in the mixed final. I would fly to Paris to see THAT. ;)

We'll leave from Oakland/SFO together ;):cool:

Bruno71
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM

I guess Serena was "very lucky" to have won Miami when she was match points down against Justine last month too?

Yeah, that 2003 match was under a bad sign because of that sign incident, but this time it will be different ;) She is much stronger mentally, to let that happen again. :) I can't wait for the Berlin, Rome and French Open :bounce: but more ... I can't wait for Wimbledon :yippee:

Serena herself said that the hand incident was disappointing but did not change the match in any way. It's obvious the crowd got to her, so that may or may not be a factor if they meet again.

frenchie
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
"I have something in mind, but I'm not going to say. It has something to do with clay,"

LOL

bandabou
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hmm...nice to see her focused. it's gonna be a tough task, but as long as she stays healthy and focused..might give Justine a battle.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
This is fact:

Serena was "only 17."

LCS
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Thank God Europe is the "centre of tennis" right now...it's terrible having tournaments in the US and having to check the time zone differences...

Thank God the YEC have moved to Madrid. When it was held in La I could never see the matches live! Unless I stood awake all night long...:mad:

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Still in denial? :lol:

jenny161185
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
henins going to have something to say about that!

AlwaysGraf
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Exactly-who does she think she is saying europe is getting all the tournaments and i don't like it at all-well fuck right off! you hardly play the whole year so you have no right to complain-and you never make an effort to attend the european indoor season at the end of the us open-you will only really participate in european tournaments from clay through to wimbledon-so give it a rest miss thing! there is only one american right in the top twenty-go figure-its not about who should have more tournaments-but when she comes up with shit like "i don't like it at all" then she annoys the hell out of me-if thats the case stick to your american tournaments and see how god you do-in fact don't bother going to berlin,rome, paris, london,poland etc etc-stick with your LAs and san diego and whatever-i know where id rather play

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
:o

I think it's a fair comment...especially with all of the indictments about American tennis....:shrug: well I mean American players aren't getting the native WCs because there aren't as many tournaments here for them to hopefully breakthrough. I think there should be more clay tournies in the US or even NORTH AMERICA for God's sake.

Don't go cursing her out when you don't even know why she has the schedule that she has....and I think she's talking about not shortening the season for the players who don't do so well all season and need the other tournies to make more money. She's not the self-serving diva you have her pegged as :o

And she hasn't played the European indoor season because she's been INJURED

2001: didn't play - 9/11
2002: won Leipzig
2003: injured (season ended @ Wimbledon)
2004: played Linz
2005: injured (season ended @ Bejing)
2006: injured (season ended @ US Open)

let her play a full healthy season before you start hopping to conclusions :wavey:

hwanmig
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Still in denial? :lol:
http://static.flickr.com/83/259605254_0fbf2b0599.jpg

mykel14
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
funny way of planning to surprise the skeptics :laugh:

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Is this you? :tape:

Oizo
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I guess Serena was "very lucky" to have won Miami when she was match points down against Justine last month too?

Serena herself said that the hand incident was disappointing but did not change the match in any way. It's obvious the crowd got to her, so that may or may not be a factor if they meet again.

Yes, she was lucky. In Tennis you need a bit of luck too. One misshit or a very close call and you either win or lose. Personally I think you need to be lucky too. And about 2003: whatever factors there were, Serena didn't play under normal circumstances.

wicked0987
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Can someone explain to me how you "plan a surprise"? It's not much of a surprise then is it? This is not the AO, she's not the big girl with abysmal ranking anymore. If winning the french is what she's pointing at, I think she will have a hard time, as anyone would, but it would not be a complete surprise.

mykarma
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Serena has the right to insinuate anything she wants. She admits to having a plan. So what, I am sure the others do too just Serena voiced it. Because she was most likely asked in some way. So no she does not need to be quiet.
I knew someone would respond to that nonsense.
:worship::worship::worship:

mykarma
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Exactly-who does she think she is saying europe is getting all the tournaments and i don't like it at all-well fuck right off! you hardly play the whole year so you have no right to complain-and you never make an effort to attend the european indoor season at the end of the us open-you will only really participate in european tournaments from clay through to wimbledon-so give it a rest miss thing! there is only one american right in the top twenty-go figure-its not about who should have more tournaments-but when she comes up with shit like "i don't like it at all" then she annoys the hell out of me-if thats the case stick to your american tournaments and see how god you do-in fact don't bother going to berlin,rome, paris, london,poland etc etc-stick with your LAs and san diego and whatever-i know where id rather play
:eek:

slydevil6142
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Serena has been giving annocements her whole career the difference btw her and other players is that she comes through. Right before her serena slam serena said MANY times she didnt understand her ranking and that she KNEW she was better than the people ahead of her and what did she go and do..... win 4 slams in a row.

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Serena and Venus both talk the talk, but the also walk the walk, eventually....

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM
This is fact:

I mean both has acheived much in the careers but by those facts could serena called the greatest? she would have to win 1 more to equal seles and then 1 more to top seles.

Serena was 17 when she won her first US Open.

Anyway, can't they all be great in their own right? There have been many great tennis players, no one greater than the other, because there are too many factors in each equation to consider. So, let's all just celebrate all of their greatness and not compare. Thanks :D

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM
"I have something in mind, but I'm not going to say. It has something to do with clay,"

LOL

Maybe her dress will be made from clay. :p

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM

:haha: :help: Take a chill pill. Serena has a right to her opinion and why does it bother you so? Do you think Serena has that much power on the WTA to make things change. :haha: You really need to relax.

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM

:eek: That camel has the same expression as the guy in your avatar. :help: :lol:

winone23
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
This is fact:

How is this relevant??? Didn't Serena own Seles.

Denise4925
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Can someone explain to me how you "plan a surprise"? It's not much of a surprise then is it? This is not the AO, she's not the big girl with abysmal ranking anymore. If winning the french is what she's pointing at, I think she will have a hard time, as anyone would, but it would not be a complete surprise.

It's a surprise if you don't know what it is. :rolleyes:

winone23
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
:eek: That camel has the same expression as the guy in your avatar. :help: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I had to go back and verify it, you were right! :lol: :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM

i HONESTLY think the surprise is she will be playing doubles.

and if anyone counts serena out as the favorites to win this title, even with her withdrawal from charleston, youare nuts. she was "out of shape" and lost to bammer before her Aus Open championship and didn't play 1 tournament before the sony ericsson open and won the damn thing, defeating the world's number one player. if she is truly healthy, she has this thing in her pocket. she wants this so badly, the other players better watch out:bounce:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM
If she plays dubs, I would DIE :hearts:

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
If I was the other players, I'd be shitting bricks right now, Venus included. Serena's a girl who gets the job done, know what I mean? If she wants the French bad enough, she will get it. Justine is the only girl who can stop her at the French. If Serena's boasting this early that she has a surprise ready, WATCH OUT!!!

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
What doubles with Venus or mixed doubles?

Craigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM
She won't play doubles.
She needs her body to be in top condition and she's hardly gonna play doubles which will make her more tired and more likely to be injured.

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
She won't play doubles.
She needs her body to be in top condition and she's hardly gonna play doubles which will make her more tired and more likely to be injured.

Hmmm, you're probably right, but I do get the feeling she is resting up for something. Perhaps her big few months now. I think that's why she hasn't played that much uptil now, she saving herself for the core of the season physically and mentally.

Might she want the mixed doubles French and Australian Titles as they are the only ones eluding her!?!

Craigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
She just wants to win this tournament. And Serena on a mission is hard to stop. I just hope her body can hold up :shrug:

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I hope it will. I think it should though, she is being very careful and taking lots of precautions at the moment. I can't understand people who question her seriousness to win.

trufanjay
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I think Serena will be fine physically. When Serena makes up her mind to win no one is going to stop her.

Craigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I think Serena will be fine physically. When Serena makes up her mind to win no one is going to stop her.

I just get worried because lately she can't go one match without getting injured :o

stevos
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
If I was the other players, I'd be shitting bricks right now, Venus included. Serena's a girl who gets the job done, know what I mean? If she wants the French bad enough, she will get it. Justine is the only girl who can stop her at the French. If Serena's boasting this early that she has a surprise ready, WATCH OUT!!!

For sure, if I was a player I'd be scared shitless. She's going to get the number one ranking too, she said it at the beginning of the year, and I believe her.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
You have to think, though, Justine's a sneaky little bitch, too, so she will have some of her own surprises in store for Serena and the rest of the girls. Don't underestimate her, either.

I hope they are on opposite sides of the draw and don't have an unfortunate fourth round or QF encounter.

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
For sure, if I was a player I'd be scared shitless. She's going to get the number one ranking too, she said it at the beginning of the year, and I believe her.

Imo injury permitting it's as good as hers after Wimbledon. However Justine can pick up lots of points going into the US Open :tape:

Nicolás89
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I just get worried because lately she can't go one match without getting injured :o

for some this could be an improvement, i mean in her hey-injury-days she got injured without playing any match at all, :o :tape: (or not?)

Olórin
You have to think, though, Justine's a sneaky little bitch, too, so she will have some of her own surprises in store for Serena and the rest of the girls. Don't underestimate her, either.

I hope they are on opposite sides of the draw and don't have an unfortunate fourth round or QF encounter.

:lol: Good one, yeah you don't want to underestimate Justine.

Im wondering if it would be best for Serena to play her in the QF or later on. I guess both their forms can be random. I think if they met in the final Justine would get nervous and tight. So I want them to meet there :p

stevos

:drool:

I honestly can't put my finger on who'd win in the final, so tough to call. Justine will want revenge for Miami, Serena for 03 of course, and both should be in epic form I'm assuming.

Helen Lawson
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM

I don't know where she got this motivation, but I'm glad it's back! :worship:

Olórin
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Yeah but like I said I really think Charleston and Fed Cup were more about precaution, so she is fully fit for the red clay and then Wimbledon :bounce:

Nicolás89
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
im the only one here who thinks they (juju, serena) wont play in the french :o

(maybe you should look at berlin first :D )

azza
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:33 AM

In America there is a hourd of 15 no sorry 150000000 youngs kids eating tripple quaterpouders instead of picking up a racket.

Rome
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Serena has a one handed backhand.

all_slam_andre
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Serena is probably the 2nd favourite to win the French Open behind Henin, and she has won the tournament before, so it wouldn't exactly be a surprise if she were to triumph at Roland Garros again.
Nothing against Serena here, but her comments about the WTA reforms are pretty silly. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that from 2009, when all the changes to the calendar have been but in place, 7 out of the 20 top tier tournaments will be held in the USA. That sounds pretty fair to me. Stop being greedy Serena. The schedule isn't being changed to cater to Europe at all.

lolas
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I don't thin she's right claiming that tournaments are more and more concentrated in Europe. I mean IW, Miami, Summer Hardcourt season, and the US-Open?

VishaalMaria
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
im the only one here who thinks they (juju, serena) wont play in the french :o

Why do you say that? :confused:

Bruno71
Apr 28th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Im wondering if it would be best for Serena to play her in the QF or later on. I guess both their forms can be random. I think if they met in the final Justine would get nervous and tight. So I want them to meet there :p

Let's just hope they're on opposite sides of the draw to set up another great final, it they both make it through.

infinitusone
Apr 28th, 2007, 06:23 AM
OK vent time

Isn't Egland in Europe?

infinitusone
Apr 28th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I don't think Serena was talking about business, I thought she was adressing the more serious matter that is the future of the sport in the US. And we all know americans only pay to watch americans for the most part, and american tennis has never had so few top players as today. When they're gone, you can market your business all you want, you won't have the american players and tennis will be sent into oblivion, and then it will be nearly impossible to bring it back. Right now the US are training the future european stars, then will come the chinese. As soon as these other countries develop their own facilities, the US will be a tennis wasteland
I hate to say it but I think you maybe right. Your right about Americans training future eutopean stars. You can go to any major college in the U.S. and look at their tennis team. Most of them are Europeans and thier very good. The majors colleges are going to Europe and recruiting tennis players.
Maybe we have hope. I was at a kids tennis tournament last weekend here in So. Cal. What I've seen impressed me. Little kids from 6 to 13 years old actually and technically played just like professional tennis players. Their techniques were identical to the pros but at a 6 to 13 year old level.