PDA

View Full Version : After Warsaw Jankovic could be leading the race!!

liuxuan
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
my god, if someone had sed this time a year ago, in a years time Jelena Jankovic would have been leading the race to the championships they would have been sent away to the Tracy Austin asylum for bad tennis predictions.

Yet, with a decent performance in Warsaw, she will probably overtake Serena.

However, it will be her 11th tournament, only giving her 6 more tournaments from which to pick up points, including the 3 mandatory Grandslams, so after that she really has very few regular tournaments which will count.

well done though

korben
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Sad :sad:

MyskinaManiac
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM
She'll probably finish within the top 8 players, because there have been a couple of events where she hasn't performed all that well, so if she does do well from now on, the smaller amounts of points gained at tournaments where she hasn't performed that well will drop off.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM
:shrug: well when you play more tournaments than anyone else in the top 30...what do you expect

It doesn't mean that she's better than the eventual players she will pass (Ree and Justine)

MS_FP
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
People still aren't giving JJ respect...this would be a big accomplishment no matter how many tournaments she plays, considering the way last year started for her.

Kampi
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM
People still aren't giving JJ respect...this would be a big accomplishment no matter how many tournaments she plays, considering the way last year started for her.

Totally agree with you.:wavey: Personally, I would be pleased if Jelena is among the BIG 8 in terms of the race at the end of the season. That would be a great achievement.:D But we have to wait and see. :angel:

GO JJ.:bounce:

frontier
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
until she plays 17 tournaments and is top of the race thats when she will get respect as long as it takes her 30 plus tourneys to get to the top no respect mama.sorry!

Kampi
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
until she plays 17 tournaments and is top of the race thats when she will get respect as long as it takes her 30 plus tourneys to get to the top no respect mama.sorry!

It's always a pleasure to see you too.:rolleyes: :lol: Otherwise it would be really boring for us, right?;)

jazar
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
go for it jj. you can do it :yeah:

Uranus
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:49 PM
100% agreed. :D

People have to give her credit for being #1 of the year after 4-5 months playing.

Btw, I thought all tournaments counted in the Race, not only the best 17(?)

Uranus
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Btw, calculating the average pts won per tournament by each player, Jelena is definitely not that bad, ahead of Kuznetsova, Petrova, Hingis, Vaidisova, Venus). So it's not just the amount of tournaments, it's the quality too.

goldenlox
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM
frontier is just a Williams troll. He's still crying about Charleston

Hurley
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Btw, I thought all tournaments counted in the Race, not only the best 17(?)

You are right.

She could play 50 tournaments and they would ALL count towards the RACE.

John.
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Wow. Congrats Jelena.

What a turnaround from this time last year

StZox
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Because she is a great player.
I enjoy watching her game

ce
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM
jj:inlove:

ce
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
:lol:

Venus Forever
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I smell a burn out. She definitely needs to take some time off.

ivanban
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Obviously Jelena isn't better than Serena, but than again it's not Jelenas' fault that Serena isn't capable of playing more than one tournament per month while not get injured. Nevertheless, it's just amazing year for JJ so far.

Brooks.
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Hmmm, someone seems to be really pissed off. I wonder if it's because your favourite could only dream of playing so many matches without serious injuries :help:

oh please ...Serena's won the two biggest titles of the season so far..she doesn't want/need to play 30 tournaments a year

great accomplishment for Jelena but her success in the race is really more about quantity than quality

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:18 AM
jankovic's turnaround has been amazing but shes taking some of the gloss off it by playing every single week. i would be more impressed if she was 4th with half the number of tournies-if she was smarter about what to play and what not to play then :worship: being first in the race with shit loads of tournies compared to everyone else :o not that special IMO

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:54 AM
this kind of play is not sustainable,its impossible to be injury free when playing week in week out something is gonna give.next season will be telling i see a tumble in rankings,in the short run enjoy your favourite but in the long run frustration and tears will abound.
its too early to predict how the race will be like at the end of season.a lot can happen between now and november for experienced players they know its too early to be giddy.:lol:

austennis
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Congrats to Jelena.. she has turned her game and her approach around and she would deserve this..

keirana332
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:53 AM
jelena deserves all the praise for having a great season so far this year and while she has played many, arguably too many tournaments, it does show an amazing level of fitness and kudos to her for coming back from a shocker of '06 season

ivanban
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:48 AM
this kind of play is not sustainable,its impossible to be injury free when playing week in week out something is gonna give.next season will be telling i see a tumble in rankings,in the short run enjoy your favourite but in the long run frustration and tears will abound.

Yeah, you would like that to happen, wouldn't you? :rolleyes: :fiery:

Direwolf
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM
she needs a SF....
and if shes in Svetlanas Semis..
she has a good chance to make the Final...

ce
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM
IVANBAN zasto pokusavas da opravdas Jelenin uspeh kod ovih morona:lol:

ivanban
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Nemam pojma, izgleda da su njihovi tupavi komentari jaci od mene :(

VishaalMaria
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM
To be honest, It's more impressive that Serena has only played four events this year [including Charleston in which she only played one match and even then had to retire] and is still leading the race compared to Jelenas 10+ events. So it was inevitable that it was going to happen. I'm actually
suprised Jelena hasn't surpassed Serena already.

And Serena has only retired from a match, and been injured, once this year. I don't care if she can't match up to Jelena's 'fitness'. The fact is Serena has won two of the most important titles so far in the year [compared to a tier two title win for Jelena] Comparing Serena and Jelena like this shows how much of a champion Serena is.

MagicMilan
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The fact that JJ could be leading the race in may, no matter how many tournies she's played, is just fantastic. She's won her first tier 1 title, won Auckland, finalist in Sydney (which for me is her best tourney so far)... She may still not be in the league of Ree, JuJu and Pova but she's had a pretty consistent season, and just reached no.7 in the ranks, with a great chance to go into top 5 after RG. I think that says a lot about her progress

Harvs
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:28 PM
How can people say that it is wrong for Jelena to lpay 30 or whatever tournies. I think that is a great thing. She is supporting more events than the Williams sisters ever did and just doing what she loves week in week out. Just because certain players don't play as mnay events, doesn't mean they deserve a better ranking than someone who playes a lot. It is THEIR fault for not playing enough tournaments, not commiting to events often enough.

rjd1111
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
That JJ is doing so well in so many events is commendable. But

sooner or later Marathon Tennis takes toll on the body.

Just Do It
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
She deseves to be #1 YES :yeah:

Just Do It
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM
How can people say that it is wrong for Jelena to lpay 30 or whatever tournies. I think that is a great thing. She is supporting more events than the Williams sisters ever did and just doing what she loves week in week out. Just because certain players don't play as mnay events, doesn't mean they deserve a better ranking than someone who playes a lot. It is THEIR fault for not playing enough tournaments, not commiting to events often enough.

Agree :worship:

Jelena does not act like a diva ( Williams sisters ) so she will play only 6-7 tournaments a year :weirdo:

W!MBLEDON
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
YAY JELENA! :woohoo:

sonnys
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM
jelena will do her best and if she become nr.1 , then dont be so jealous:help: !!!;)

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I guess Jelena needs to pay some bills! ;)!!!!

Good for her. I'm never going to criticize a player or anyone else for that matter for working hard. I just hope her body and mind can take the heavy pace. But, she's young still and was a late bloomer as I recall. so I hope she'll be okay til season's end. She was my pick to rise last year. Go JJ!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
oh please ...Serena's won the two biggest titles of the season so far..she doesn't want/need to play 30 tournaments a year

great accomplishment for Jelena but her success in the race is really more about quantity than quality

Per my memory, neither William's sister played an usually high number of tournaments even when they weren't injured. That's their choice.

Just as its Jelena's choice to work as hard as her mind and boy allows. If she burns out -- that's also her business. I'll feel bad about it. But, just as Serena and Venus have to do it "their way," so does Jelena and every other person on the planet.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Oh you hatters... You can just nag here all you wanna, but reality is reality ;)

JJ :banana:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
And I can't understand why are people bitching about JJ playing so many tournaments... Is it forbiden??? Aren't you always bitching how Kim isn't playing enough tournaments, aren't you always saying all kinda stuff about Serena for playing one tournamenth in two months??? Crazy... :rolleyes:

Craigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Jelena does not act like a diva ( Williams sisters ) so she will play only 6-7 tournaments a year :weirdo:

Serena doesn't play 6-7 tournaments a year just because she's 'acting like a diva'. She literally can't play that many tournaments because her body gets injured easily. She has a very smart schedule this year. She's played very little tournaments yet she still manages to play top quality tennis.

Craigy
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
And I can't understand why are people bitching about JJ playing so many tournaments... Is it forbiden??? Aren't you always bitching how Kim isn't playing enough tournaments, aren't you always saying all kinda stuff about Serena for playing one tournamenth in two months??? Crazy... :rolleyes:

Haters will be haters though.
--
Where have you been?

Uranus
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I'm actually
suprised Jelena hasn't surpassed Serena already.

Serena won the AO, won 1000 pts.
Jelena reached 4r (ousted by Serena), won 140 pts.
Here's why Jelena is still behind her and quite close to the other players at the Race.

predrag
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM
frontier is just a Williams troll. He's still crying about Charleston

Frontier is actually a collective run by 4 individuals, all dressed in black.
You didnt really think any one person could be that tenacious?

winone23
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Well when you're a legend and have the results the Williams sisters have, you tend to become a "diva" :cool: Jelena doesn't have the luxury to be a diva because she aint that good.

Just Do It
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
It is really interesting when a player start to play good ( winning big tournaments ) already haters are everywhere !!! :o

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Frontier is actually a collective run by 4 individuals, all dressed in black.
You didnt really think any one person could be that tenacious?guess what we live in a democracy where there is freedom of speech and association.i live in the most peaceful place in the world where objective criticism is not considered threatening.thank god i was born in this part of the world. :lol: :p ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :help:

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
tenacious? frontier is one of the dumbest of the Williams trolls

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
tenacious? frontier is one of the dumbest of the Williams trollsi wont stoop to your level and cuss you out.i understand that these players bring hope where there is despair to some depressed parts of this world and fans from some of these places use players as palliatives.
i understand your anger and frustration goldie,you just cant help yourself!:tape:

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Everyone can see what a dope this person is. He doesn't just insult Jankovic. It happens in a lot of player threads.

No Name Face
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
i wish i could hate on the fact that she plays a shitload but the fact remains that she's really, really good. good for her. i would be a huge fan for her if not for a few comments she made, but once serena wins the french, she'll be back to #2.

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Everyone can see what a dope this person is. He doesn't just insult Jankovic. It happens in a lot of player threads.goldie!goldie!goldie!do you understand the difference between insulting and being objective!why are you so touchy ,if you go to a tournament today they will walk on by without saying "hi" they dont know you exist.why are wasting your energy insulting me when in the locker room they probably play board games together.:lick:

tennisjunky
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM
:shrug: well when you play more tournaments than anyone else in the top 30...what do you expect

It doesn't mean that she's better than the eventual players she will pass (Ree and Justine)

dont think anyone would think jankovic is the best player on tour no matter what her ranking was, just like mauresmo.

there is something special about a player who can play a lot of tournaments and get very far in almost all of them without getting seriously hurt. got to give her some props for being so dedicated, never pulling out of tournaments, and for having the stamina to keep it going. it will be amazing if she can play that way for the rest of the year and if she does she would deserve her number one ranking.

people trash talk players who play a lot, but it's better than players not playing enough. if injuries werent and burnout didn't happen, would love for serena, masha, and peer to play as much as jelena does.

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM
oh, I'm definately not trashing her, but I think it's different than a player being #1 in the race and only playing a few tournaments and getting quality wins at all of them....but props to her for staying healthy this long :yeah: I just hope she doesn't burn out, and has enough left for the YEC....

:bigclap::woohoo::bowdown::aparty: for the turnaround she's made since this time last year though :yeah:

:secret: Serena'll be back to #1 after winning Berlin ;)

Wayn77
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM
i wont stoop to your level and cuss you out.i understand that these players bring hope where there is despair to some depressed parts of this world and fans from some of these places use players as palliatives.

In most elections, political illiterates are the largest single voting bloc. :rolleyes:

tennisjunky
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
i wish i could hate on the fact that she plays a shitload but the fact remains that she's really, really good. good for her. i would be a huge fan for her if not for a few comments she made, but once serena wins the french, she'll be back to #2.

agreed!

!<blocparty>!
Apr 25th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Yay. I hope she plays well on grass this year and makes it to the second week of Wimbledon.

Injuries will come soon enough, no matter how many events she plays.

Lulu.
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Good for her :)

predrag
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I understand the competition for Utter Stoopidity award is usually brutal
around here, with competitors showing no mercy in their desperate attempts
to prove they are the most stoopidest. Frontier has hit an unsurpassed
watermark for stoopid. The award will be named after him and he'll be
banned from all future competition so that others would have a chance to win.

Pasta-Na
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
she starts to defend her pts from grass season :angel:

ivanban
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Frontier:
i wont stoop to your level and cuss you out.i understand that these players bring hope where there is despair to some depressed parts of this world and fans from some of these places use players as palliatives.
i understand your anger and frustration goldie,you just cant help yourself!

OMG!!!! This is the most stupid and insulting post I've ever read. Especially, I wouldn't expect post like this from someone who's from such a great country like Canada. You're such a chauvinist and embarassment for your country.

frontier
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I understand the competition for Utter Stoopidity award is usually brutal
around here, with competitors showing no mercy in their desperate attempts
to prove they are the most stoopidest. Frontier has hit an unsurpassed
watermark for stoopid. The award will be named after him and he'll be
banned from all future competition so that others would have a chance to win.why are getting hot under the collar! you know there is an english saying that goes like this quote:"dont argue with a fool otherwise people will not notice the difference" there thats your food for thought.i am not going to humiliate you by pointing out some things i have noticed on your rant.usually when people are at a loss for words they resort to cuss words because thats the only way to articulate their shortcomings.

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:38 PM
No one is arguing with you, you fool. Just goofing on your sorry dumb ass.

franklinbouvier
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM
She deserves credit for getting this far, yes.
But she won't get anywhere in the remaining Grand Slam tournaments this year.
She's the Great Wide-Faced Hope.

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Judging by her 2006 US Open, she has a chance to go very far at majors.

Willam
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:01 AM
go jelena :banana:

Wayn77
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Great personality, lovely free-spirited game - I hope JJ continues to do well.

She has matured on-court from last year, looks in excellent physical shape (pre-season training at altitude in Columbia!).

Can she win a slam in 2007 - I fancy her chances on the clay at RG.

Weaknesses? defence on the backhand wing (exposed by the real heavy hitters) and lacking firepower.

winone23
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM
It is really interesting when a player start to play good ( winning big tournaments ) already haters are everywhere !!! :o

Charleston wasn't a big tourney b/c all the top players either pulled out or were hurt. Warsaw is going to have more top players than Charleston did.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:58 AM
:help:

switz
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Jankovic is a force in the game now but the race doesn't mean anything until after Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Serena has played like 3 tournaments and she's still leading.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:23 AM

exactly:worship: :kiss:

serena and justine deserve some mad respect for the low number of tournaments they've played

sonnys
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
She deserves credit for getting this far, yes.
But she won't get anywhere in the remaining Grand Slam tournaments this year.
She's the Great Wide-Faced Hope.

:lol: :lol: :eek: We will see, Jelena will beat them all.:drool:Jealousy i see....

sonnys
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM
i understand your anger and frustration goldie,you just cant help yourself!:tape:

oh thanks,you are so polite,,:smash: Mind your own country,it dosent look to good )::help:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Haters will be haters though.
--
Where have you been?

I've been here and there :D Focusing on trainings mostly :)

I quite bored by WTA World lately, so I don't stop by regulary... :shrug:

Cya ;)

Tenis Srbija
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
exactly:worship: :kiss:

serena and justine deserve some mad respect for the low number of tournaments they've played

Are you saying they aren't getting that mad respect??? If that's the case, you better start looking around... JJ can be first in the race, but still she will get zillion times less respect than Serena and Justine. That would be the case even if JJ wins Roland Garros...

Sexysova
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
omg!!! it's really isn't fair... Jelena plays all tours :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

friendsita
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM
:lol: :lol: :eek: We will see, Jelena will beat them all.:drool:Jealousy i see....

keep on dreaming... :lol: