PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to say it's no longer a slump for Kirilenko?

Sugar_Kane
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
We're now well into the 2nd year of her "slump", has she burnt out? This seems to be the longest slump ever. Even though she has no weapons her ranking doesn't suit her potential, but I now believe that that's all it will be...potential. It looks like she'll be one of those players who's potential will never be realised because of silly decisions made by her dad. The rest of the tour is passing her by and she is just slipping further and further down the rankings she's 38 in the world and still slipping.

It seems that out of all the young guns she is the only one getting worse. She must be getting sick of losing especially when at the end of 2005 everyone was making out that she was going to be the next best thing. Adidias must be kicking themselves for renewing her Stella MacCartney contract.

ezekiel
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I don't know when she was really good

Craigy
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM
She doesn't even know what her game is anymore. It's really sad :sad:

Helen Lawson
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM
She had reasonable results the first part of this year so she's not totally in a free-fall with her ranking. She has basically little to defend the rest of the year. I hope she can break through. I'm a little disappointed she didn't take advantage of depleted/crappy draws at FCC and AI for some (hopefully) easy points. I hope she tries a couple of Tier III before the French.

Natash.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I don't know when she was really good

She was really good in '05 and in juniors.

Stop being such an ass. :rolleyes:

She needs a coach who can help her find her own game because I really doubt her dad will be able to help her with that. Right now, I have no idea what she's doing.

*JR*
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
.... Adidias must be kicking themselves for renewing her Stella MacCartney contract.
Kirilenkova didn't get that contract because they really expected her 2B winning Slams or even Tier I's. ;)

FrenchY52
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:49 PM
She was really good in '05 and in juniors.

Stop being such an ass. :rolleyes:

She needs a coach who can help her find her own game because I really doubt her dad will be able to help her with that. Right now, I have no idea what she's doing.

Yeah, very good in 2005 : "Beats" 1 top10 player (Injured Masha), 2 top20 ..
Most of her wins in main draws were against average players.. She also won more than 10 matches in Qualies.. :help:

HTE
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Maria has great potential but she certainly needs a decent coach soon!

jazar
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
she has the potential, but unfortunately has no weapons

Direwolf
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
what Potential do you have if you have no weapons???

Bruno71
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
There are no players in the WTA with no weapons. That's just a fun little way for fans and media to put a player down. It may not be so off to say a player doesn't have any huge weapons, however.

Elldee
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
This time last year Jankovic was 'burnt out'... I'm sure she'll go back up again.

Sugar_Kane
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM
This time last year Jankovic was 'burnt out'... I'm sure she'll go back up again.

Jankovic always had game it just wasn't coming together. Maria's plan at the moment seems to be to run down any ball she can and hope her oponent hits and error. and for a player with mediocre movement it's not the best tactic.

croat123
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:43 PM
sprem's been in a longer slump...hopefully her amazingly easy draw will help her do well this week

maria is lots of fun (and fucking hot) but she really didn't fight at all when i saw her live in her match vs. venus in miami

Volcana
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
She was really good in '05 and in juniors.Can't speak to juniors, but here's her 2005 record is a bit bland. Some sparkling individual wins, but the next day she'd revert to type.

NOTE: A chart to show rough equivalencies between different sized tournaments. Winning a Tier IV is roughly the same as making the round-of-16 at a slam. Roughly.

-- GS T1 T2 T3 T4
00 -- r1 64 32 16
01 r1 64 32 16 QF
02 64 32 16 QF SF
03 32 16 QF SM FR
04 16 QF SM FR CH
05 QF SM FR CH
06 SM FR CH
07 FR CH
10 CH

Kirilenko's results '05

SYDNEY ............... T2 DQ = 0 (Didn't get out of qualifying)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN ...... GS 64 = 2
TOKYO (PAN PACIFIC) .. T1 16 = 3
HYDERABAD ............ T4 SF = 2
DOHA ................. T2 QF = 3
DUBAI ................ T2 DQ = 0
INDIAN WELLS ......... T1 16 = 3
MIAMI ................ T1 64 = 1
WARSAW ............... T2 16 = 2
BERLIN OPEN .......... T1 32 = 2
ROME ................. T1 64 = 1
FRENCH OPEN .......... GS r1 = 1
BIRMINGHAM ........... T3 32 = 0
S'HERTOGENBOSCH ...... T3 16 = 1
WIMBLEDON ............ GS 64 = 2
SAN DIEGO ............ T1 64 = 1
LOS ANGELES .......... T2 32 = 1
TORONTO .............. T1 64 = 1
NEW HAVEN ............ T2 16 = 2
US OPEN .............. GS 64 = 2
BEIJING .............. T2 FR = 5
GUANGZHOU ............ T3 QF = 2
TOKYO ................ T3 SF = 3
MOSCOW ............... T1 32 = 2

If you average it out, that's 40 'points' in 24 tournaments, for an average of 1.67. About the quarterfinals of a Tier III.

The Dawntreader
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I feel maria is just in almost a limbo at the moment- neither here nor there....

UDACHi
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
it isn't necessarily SAFE to say it on kirilenkoworld.com, but it's definitely an accurate statement.

Derek.
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
She's garbage.

*JR*
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:16 PM
She's garbage.
That's totally unfair! :mad: (Makiri didn't marry a Career Conman). :tape:

champGS1452
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
She has no weapons,nor killer instinct that one needs to suceed.

Derek.
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
That's totally unfair! :mad: (Makiri didn't marry a Career Conman). :tape:

I like her, but atm, what I said is true.

*JR*
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I like her, but atm, what I said is true.
OK, but what you mean would then be that Kirilenkova is playing like garbage. Being garbage is (@ least to me) about the kind of life one leads, etc.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I hope she can get out of it!!! She is one of my Favourite players!!! I wish she would sack her Dad and get a coach!!!

So Disrespectful
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I can't think of many instances where a sane player with at least 4 good tournament results has stayed down for their entire career. It always has to end sometime. But she'll have to take action for anything to happen, and a good coach is really needed in her case.

Pheobo
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:51 AM
She just had too much hype and not enough game.

njnetswill
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Players come and go in their careers. It's too early to discount Kirilenko.

It's not a slump until she loses 10 out of 11 matches like Jankovic. :p

austennis
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM
She needs some confidence and results will follow

Polikarpov
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I hope she gets good results soon.

Sugar_Kane
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
She needs some confidence and results will follow

she needs a coach but her Dad has made it clear he's not wasting any of her winnings on one.

Tennis Fool
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:47 PM
If you read my Russia Watch, you'll see she's been eclipsed by Olga and the other, younger Russians are on their way...

Harvs
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Pity she's not giving Stella McCartney much lately lol. Nice clothes but no game atm :(

esquímaux
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I have to agree that she generally doesn't appear to have any weapons. I watched her live at the AIG Open last year and the phrase that came to mind was "Que horible!" :lol: She looked like a slap-happy mess :tape: The fans were all over her at the autograph sessions because she's pretty though :unsure: Whatever the case, babygirl got bOuNcEd in the 1st round :tape::o

saki
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I think she's realised that she isn't going to be an amazing player and is content to cash in on her lucrative clothing contract and stick around somewhere in the top 50. I don't think any the less of her for this - why should she try to be top 10 when she knows that she won't ever win a GS?

Derek.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I think she's realised that she isn't going to be an amazing player and is content to cash in on her lucrative clothing contract and stick around somewhere in the top 50. I don't think any the less of her for this - why should she try to be top 10 when she knows that she won't ever win a GS?

So you think she's given up? :weirdo:

She just said in January her goal is to be a top 10 player.

switz
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I wouldn't write her off but i've certainly seen little evidence that she's ever going to be able to match it with the best.

Dave.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:08 AM
What silly decisions did her dad make?

Anyway, she has tons of potential, it's just confidence IMO. I think she needs a break from tennis, come back on the grass where she is fairly comfortable and play free tennis and get back to the top 20. This is much worse than the Jankovic slump, this has gone on too long. She needs a break or she will just keep slipping. Also, she should perhaps try a bit more doubles. Either way, she won't get out of this without backtracking.

Derek.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:14 AM
What silly decisions did her dad make?

I think her dad is a bit controlling and thinks he can take her to the top himself.

Volcana
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I think her dad is a bit controlling and thinks he can take her to the top himself.
BUt which actual decisions were 'silly', or bad? Chris Evert, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati, Maris Sharapova, Venus and Serena Williams, all got to the top with parent-coaches. So having a parent as a coach isn't inherently bad. What exactly has her father done that is so very wrong?

Derek.
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:10 AM
BUt which actual decisions were 'silly', or bad? Chris Evert, Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati, Maris Sharapova, Venus and Serena Williams, all got to the top with parent-coaches. So having a parent as a coach isn't inherently bad. What exactly has her father done that is so very wrong?

I'm not sure, but I've heard rumors that he is one of the reasons why Maria stopped working with some coaches in the past.

switz
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:15 AM

yes but they all sought a lot of help from outside sources and I would suggest all those players have/had far more ability than Kirilenko. I think she really needs a good coach to get her game together but at the moment i watch her and she reminds me of one of the ladies at my club.

tterb
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I don't think she's top 10 material, but she's got enough game to be a solid top 30 player. If she played her very best consistently, I'd put her on the fringes of the top 20. She doesn't have huge weapons, but from the matches I've seen her play well, she can change the direction of the ball nicely and keep it deep. She seemed quite tactically aware those matches, though perhaps I just caught her on her good days?

Anyway, for all that's been said, she did have a solid enough '05 (won Beijing) and start of '06. Recap:

In 2005:
- pushed Henin to three sets on clay
- pushed Mauresmo to three sets
- beat Chakvetadze in straights
- beat Schnyder in three sets
- beat Sharapova (retired in second set)

In 2006:

- pushed Davenport to three sets, twice
- pushed Kuznetsova to three sets
- pushed Sharapova to three sets
- beat Petrova in straights

But since the '06 clay season there's been nothing of note besides beating Peer this year and pushing Hantuchova to three sets in Doha. I don't know what's wrong, but mere top 50-level players generally aren't capable of competing with that many top players.

strictennis
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I don't think she's top 10 material, but she's got enough game to be a solid top 30 player. If she played her very best consistently, I'd put her on the fringes of the top 20. She doesn't have huge weapons, but from the matches I've seen her play well, she can change the direction of the ball nicely and keep it deep. She seemed quite tactically aware those matches, though perhaps I just caught her on her good days?

Anyway, for all that's been said, she did have a solid enough '05 (won Beijing) and start of '06. Recap:

In 2005:
- pushed Henin to three sets on clay
- pushed Mauresmo to three sets
- beat Chakvetadze in straights
- beat Schnyder in three sets
- beat Sharapova (retired in second set)

In 2006:

- pushed Davenport to three sets, twice
- pushed Kuznetsova to three sets
- pushed Sharapova to three sets
- beat Petrova in straights

But since the '06 clay season there's been nothing of note besides beating Peer this year and pushing Hantuchova to three sets in Doha. I don't know what's wrong, but mere top 50-level players generally aren't capable of competing with that many top players.

Let's focus on her future, at the meantime, MK is a FLOP.

tterb
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:31 AM
^ Oh, for sure. I wasn't refuting that she's been sucking for a while now, just saying that she's not some terrible player or anything. :shrug:

I think she can be better than she's currently showing, but yeah, if people thought she was top 10-bound, they were definitely overrating her.

saki
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM
So you think she's given up? :weirdo:

She just said in January her goal is to be a top 10 player.

Not given up entirely but I don't think she is exactly filled with ambition, commitment and drive.

Of course she said that - even if she had given up entirely, she's hardly going to say that! It would lose her endorsements.

Elldee
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM
- pushed Davenport to three sets, twice.

That alone made me think she was 15 - 25 standard.

Reiken
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
her slump will stop if she gets a new coach.