PDA

View Full Version : Record prize money for Wimbledon

goldenlox
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Record prize money for Wimbledon

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42840000/jpg/_42840547_winners203.jpg Wimbledon 2006 winners Amelie Mauresmo and Roger Federer

Total prize money at Wimbledon this year will be nearly 9% more than in 2006, with the male and female singles champions each winning £700,000.
The overall fund for the 25 June-8 July tournament will be £11,282,710 - 8.7% up on last year's figure.
"No tennis tournament has ever offered higher prize money than Wimbledon in 2007," claimed Tim Phillips, chairman of organisers the All England Club.
Equal rewards for men and women at Wimbledon were announced in February.
Subject to final testing, Hawk-eye technology will be used on Centre Court and Court One at this year's championships, with existing Cyclops equipment used on other courts. Because of long-term rebuilding caused by the installation of a retractable roof on Centre Court, this year there will be no roof whatsoever on the court and all seats will be exposed to the elements. There are also plans to build a new Court Two in time for the 2009 Championships.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6588005.stm

the cat
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Goldenova, I know you love the money aspect of tennis. But I don't feel the same way and am a bit disturbed by Wimbledon offering so much money every year just so they can outshine the other grand slams. :(

ezekiel
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
goldenlox, always talking about money, hopefully you have enough and are never greedy

goldenlox
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
The other majors should keep up with Wimbledon.
The AO is far behind.

Sugar_Kane
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Goldenova, I know you love the money aspect of tennis. But I don't feel the same way and am a bit disturbed by Wimbledon offering so much money every year just so they can outshine the other grand slams. :(

What's wrong with them offering more money :confused:

If they've got it they might as well spend it.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM
might as well as give it to the players instead of wasting the £30M each yr they give to the LTA :o

Wayn77
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
More Prize Money - Great!

The roof is coming shortly (about 20 years late!) a roof is also needed for No. 1 Court. I would also like to see the Centre-Court capacity increased from its current pathetic 13,000.

In The Zone
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
How much do you want to bet that the US will up its prize money and become the top paying again?

goldenlox
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
WIMBLEDON, England - The total purse at Wimbledon will be 8.7 percent more than last year, with the male and female champion each taking home $1.4 million.

The only Grand Slam tournament on grass will offer total prize money of $22,572,011. The increase reflects female and male competitors getting equal pay from the first round to the final for the first time since it began paying players in 1968. Wimbledon announced the pay equity on Feb. 22.

"No tennis tournament has ever offered higher prize money than Wimbledon in 2007," All England Club chairman Tim Phillips said.

Roger Federer earned $1.17 million in winning last year's tournament, while Amelie Mauresmo took home $1.11 million.

Wimbledon, which runs from June 25 to July 8, also announced it would use instant replay technology for the first time, subject to final testing in May. The Hawk-Eye technology, used at the U.S. Open for the first time last year and at this year's Australian Open, will be on Centre Court and court No. 1 only.