PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon question--How hard is it queue for..

moon
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
1) the second Monday (round of 16)
2) the second Tuesday (ladies quarterfinals)

I'd appreciate any tips, or tales of experience (the short version)

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
TBE is your man - he seems to know everything about queuing at Wimbledon :)

A_S
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
dunno about those days, but first week me and Kimberley_82 (from here) queued from about 7am till the gates opened and it went really quickly, it wasnt great fun but it was nice, the atmosphere was good, queue was moving, people talked to each other, as long as you have someone with you and the weather is good its good fun :)

moon
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
I've done it before, at the end of the first week, Fri & Sat. But I'm wondereing if it's easier or harder than the first weekend. I'm hoping people will have gone back to work by then. :)

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
What sort of tickets do you want to queue for? Showcourt tickets will involve overnight queueing, whereas Grounds Admission will involve only 3 or 4 hours of queueing.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
The Saturday lines and the 2nd Monday lines are normally the longest of the Tournament but ofcourse it depends alot on the weather too.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
dunno about those days, but first week me and Kimberley_82 (from here) queued from about 7am till the gates opened and it went really quickly, it wasnt great fun but it was nice, the atmosphere was good, queue was moving, people talked to each other, as long as you have someone with you and the weather is good its good fun :)

Yeah that sums up the experience pretty well. Get on the line between 7 and 8 and you are normally in within 3 hours.

frontier
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
thank god for wimbledon we will get to see order and decorum not the uncouth behaviour we saw from the serbian and croatian fans in the beginning of australia and miami.thats why wimbledon is prestigious no unruly behaviour like heckling or screaming at your favourite'ts opponent.this is the only gs venue that is classy.

moon
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
What sort of tickets do you want to queue for? Showcourt tickets will involve overnight queueing, whereas Grounds Admission will involve only 3 or 4 hours of queueing.

I can't do overnight queueing, I thought about it last year, and I'm just to high maintenance to be sleeping outside overnight, even for tennis. So it'll probably be grounds passes.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I can't do overnight queueing, I thought about it last year, and I'm just to high maintenance to be sleeping outside overnight, even for tennis. So it'll probably be grounds passes.

I don't do overnight queueing either. I am always very happy with the ground passes. There is always alot going on in the outside courts. :D

soomaal
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know how I can get to see venus photo & autograph without getting showcourt tickets?

Do you think that it's likely that Richard will be walking around or should I wait for her at arrivals....I'd love to get her autographs but just see myself getting showcourt tickets....any suggestions much appreciated

Max565
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I went on Ladies QF day last year... Around 2 - 4 pm... and I can tell you that there was NO queue at all... I was pleasantly surprised because of all the warnings of the '3 to 4 hour' queues beforehand from other people but there was no line at all...

But ground passes aren't that great during the 2nd week if you wanna see some big-names... they're mostly juniors or unknown double players on the outside courts.... but after 5pm you can get a recycled Centre Court/No.1/No.2 ticket for 5 pounds which was great... (a good 20 - 30 mins. queueing for this one)

:)

!<blocparty>!
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Ladies quarterfinals day has the shortest queue. Since noone cares about woman's tennis you could probably get away with joining it between midnight and 3am on the Tuesday. To be on the safe side we usually set up camp after monday's play has finished then go for a meal into the village. :) On the first Monday you'll probably want to join it MUCH earlier... between 6-8pm at the latest if you want to be guaranteed Centre Court tickts. We were running late last year :tape: so joined it around 10-10.30pm and still managed to get Court 1 tickets even though Murray was playing (when Brits play you'll get an extra couple thousand amateur in line overnight)...which was fine for us because the Centre schedule was total shit.

switz
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM
i don't do queues :o

:o at myself

CooCooCachoo
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
1) the second Monday (round of 16)
2) the second Tuesday (ladies quarterfinals)

I'd appreciate any tips, or tales of experience (the short version)

I have only been to Wimbledon once, on hte second Monday. I queued at 05:30 AM, which I learnt was way too early for only wanting ground passes. I just missed out on Court 1 tickets, but could still have Court 2 tickets. I didn't want any show court tickets though, just a ground pass. The waiting was long, but exciting I thought.

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
thank god for wimbledon we will get to see order and decorum not the uncouth behaviour we saw from the serbian and croatian fans in the beginning of australia and miami.thats why wimbledon is prestigious no unruly behaviour like heckling or screaming at your favourite'ts opponent.this is the only gs venue that is classy.

No, unless you're Damir Dokic. :rolleyes: BTW, the Aussie crowds are NORMALLY very well behaved too! And btw, the British people can be just as rude - talking on their mobile phones in the middle of points!

!<blocparty>!
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM
No, unless you're Damir Dokic. :rolleyes: BTW, the Aussie crowds are NORMALLY very well behaved too! And btw, the British people can be just as rude - talking on their mobile phones in the middle of points!

You think talking on mobile phones during points (which I've never seen happen anyway) is just as rude as heckling and screaming at the opponent like complete idiots? :lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM

The Croats in the Rosmalen men's final were extremely rude, I'm sure you'd agree.

urklerlay
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I was lucky enough to go to two first week sessions last year.

The first day I got in line at 7:30am and was lucky enough to purchase Court 1 tix w/ an "obstructed view." Lucky b/c the osbstructed view was a handrail that was near my knees. Basically the seats (2) were awesome, just above the large scoreboard that sits court level. And surprising they were available b/c Henman played that day, and we all know how popular he is there. Plus I was able to see Clijsters and Nadal that day too.

The next day I went w/ 4 others and got there at 7:00am. This time, not so lucky...grounds pass only.

My advice to you would be get there as early as you can if you want the show courts...obviously before 7!

check out some of my pix: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/2006_wimbledon

A_S
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
i had wanted to just try queing over night, just the once, blocparty have you any advice? you say you set up camp then go for a meal? how does that work? what time do you have to be back in the que? and how does the night pass? do people actually sleep? are there stewards and stuff all night? or what?

MAXSquared
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
When you queue remember to visit the burger van as it's my sister in laws... LOL

I can ask him anyone quote wtaworld can get 10-20% off

also, why don't we get a wta official queing group for wimble

!<blocparty>!
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
i had wanted to just try queing over night, just the once, blocparty have you any advice? you say you set up camp then go for a meal? how does that work? what time do you have to be back in the que? and how does the night pass? do people actually sleep? are there stewards and stuff all night? or what?

Hey. :wavey:

Well yeah... we've set up camp before now and kindly asked our neighbours to keep an eye on the tent (there wasn't anything valuble in it anyway - all the expensive stuff can go in the car on the side of the road) and walked about 10 minutes into the (BUZZING) Wimbledon village type place with loads of pubs and a lovely French restaurant. You can go as long as you want if you have the queue card, but I wouldn't stay away for too long. The night goes SLOWLY - you'd do well to get three hours sleep, but it doesn't matter. The buzz and 500 Costa double shot coffee's will keep you going. :cool: There's loads of stewards fussing and farting around all night yes, they wake you up at 6am and your camp has to be packed away by 6.30am. The carparks open at 7 (I think) so if you have a car you take it there straight away so they can start moving people closer to the entrance.

Advice/tips:

Once you get into the ground, you'll have a couple hours before the entire ground opens so everyone is kept near the entrance - use this time to sleep sleep sleep on the picnic benches. But make sure you wake up in time for play. :tape:

You can order takeaways in the queue too. A pizza person comes round but we ordered Chinese last year. But be careful - I spewed up my guts ALL night. :sad: But again, it didn't matter, if this happens just numb yourself up all day with Nurofen.

I can't be bothered with any other stuff right now. If you want to know anything just ask, or PM. ;)

Oooh! Actually - HOT tip. If the American Express people are there again this year with their stands from Southfields tube station to the queue field, get as much free mineral water from them as you can (if it's hot) and the free newspaper too. It's amazing. During one day in the first week last year I managed to get like 10 bottles of ice cold water for nothing. :cool:

When you queue remember to visit the burger van as it's my sister in laws... LOL

Burger van? :tape: I'll take 10-20% off the drinks though. :p

jazar
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
its not hard. all you have to do is stand there and wait and hope it doesnt rain

Slutiana
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
i love queing at wimbledon its the BEST EVER..i've been every year since 05..i would reccomend it soo much...if you don't wanna camp then just get there about 2-3 hours before play and start queing...it my sond daunting, the fact that you have to que for 3 hours tops...but it is acually great fun..bring a few magazines and things to keep you busy and it should be fine...i went on the first and second days since thats obviously when the most action is on...i got to see tati play and got her autograph after A LOT of running and the security guards telling me to back off lol but go anytime in the morning and its worth however long you que for...i promise lol

on the mens semi-finals day, i had tickets to no.1 court...it got boring though, so i walked out and guess who i saw playing? VENUS...she was warming up with her hitting partner (she was blowing him off the court) for the mixed dubs match with one of the brian bro's....i didnt get a photo but i video'd her rallying and at the end of the match, the man threw the balls they were playing with in the crowd and guess who jumped over EVERYONE to get not one but TWO balls!! lol venus is a good singer btw...(she was singing while she was warming up) but i'd reccomend it to anyone who wants to go..its good to go anyday...the first week there are loads of matches on and you are spoilt for choice...the second week, there are less qeues but there are obviously less matches on but anytime you go...you are guarenteed to see some amazing matches and experience wimbledon first hand..i mean i've seen serena and venus playing doubles..got their autographs and got on T.V for cheering SOOO loud!! but anyone who's thinking about it go! and stick a pice of paper with your username and say your from wtaworld..lol im joking but see you there this year!(wow i get soo hyped up when wimbledon is talked about)

moon
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM

:lol: I went to the burger van last year. twice! they had good sandwiches.

I am definitely gonna be there Friday and Saturday. I guess Monday and Tuesday depend on if Vee and Ree are playing. And how tired I am... :p
On second thought, since it's supposedly easier to queue on quarterfinal day, if Vee & Ree are still in it, I will probably do that day too.

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM
You think talking on mobile phones during points (which I've never seen happen anyway) is just as rude as heckling and screaming at the opponent like complete idiots? :lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one.

My point was that people can be rude (in different ways) at alot of tournaments. And I wasn't talking about people yelling at opponants, it was regarding the Aussie fight stuff - which was a first this year.

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
The Croats in the Rosmalen men's final were extremely rude, I'm sure you'd agree.

Umm - I wasn't THERE for the mens final - I was in the players lounge and then back to Den Haag because the wife of my friend's son had a baby that day! :p But I find people at Rosmalen rude too - the ones in the Skyboxes. :p They just sit and talk constantly during play. So annyoing for the players and people who actually wanna watch the tennis. ;)

But of course, you get rude idiots at most tournaments. I also had some idiot stand up in front of me for a whole game during Wimbledon, even the ushers were asking him to sit down and he just ignored them. OK, it might not be as loud as yelling at players, but it still causes a distraction to everyone.