PDA

View Full Version : Georgia School Holds First Integrated Prom

Infiniti2001
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:37 PM
ASHBURN, Ga. (April 22) - For the first time, the faces of students at the Turner County High School prom were both white and black.
Each year, in spite of integration, the school's white students had raised money for their own unofficial prom and black students did the same to throw their own separate party, an annual ritual that divided the southern Georgia peanut-farming county anew each spring.

That all changed Saturday as horse-drawn carriages and stretch limousines carried young couples around the downtown streets to a single prom.

"I couldn't be more proud of these young people," said Ray Jordan, the county's school superintendent. "The changes needed to come from the student body."

At the start of the school year, Turner County's four senior class officers had told principal Chad Stone they wanted an official prom and they wanted everyone invited.

Stone spent $5,000 of his discretionary fund to put together the county's first school-sponsored prom. Another $5,000 came from supporters after news stories about the plan spread across the nation.

"Tonight, it's a fresh start," said James Hall , the black senior class president who led the charge for the integrated prom.

The rural county seat of 4,000 people has been in need of uplifting news. Although a candy packaging plant employs hundreds, as does the up-and-down peanut industry, many of the better paying jobs are in larger towns in the region. The high school is one of the few things that give Ashburn a sense of community.

"The school is making changes - and they're long overdue," said Aniesha Gipson, who became the county's first solo homecoming queen last fall as it abandoned the practice of crowning separate white and black queens.

Still, traditions die hard. Only about two-thirds of the school's 160 upper-class students purchased tickets for the prom, blacks still easily outnumbered whites at the dance, and many whites still attended their own private party a week earlier.

"Last weekend was more like tradition. It wasn't racist, or prejudice," said Calvin Catom, a white senior who attended both parties. "This weekend is about the whole school getting together and having a party."

Few other white students would comment about the dance, telling reporters gathered outside the gym that school officials told them not to talk to the media.

"This is history, baby, this is history," said Noriega McKeller, a 19-year-old senior. "Somebody had to do it. Why couldn't it be us?"

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/georgia-school-holds-first-integrated/20070423102809990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
I always wondered what kind of music they listened to @ these two proms since it's impossible to distinguish.

samsung101
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Doesn't this sound so dumb.
How backwards was this school?

It's pretty sad to see Georgia allowing this to go on.....
it's a state controlled by the Democratic Party, and
I cannot understand how this was accepted for decades -
just a few miles south of Atlanta.

I think it had to be something that not only the white
students, but, black students as well, preferred to keep
in practice for so long. As it seems the black kids outnumber
the white kids. I get that I guess, some tradition, old fashioned,
etc. Maybe like college black Greek frats and sororities, etc.

But, how could the school district ever allow this to go on as
separate, and promote it on campus, and families keep it up year
after year.

What they do off campus, away from school, is their own business.
Can't stop them from having a separate party or 'prom' at some home
or location. But, official campus proms and elections and ticket sales,
no way should have been allowed on campus if it was for separate
events -black and white.

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
In 2007...:rolleyes:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. They are only doing this now :rolleyes:

Helen Lawson
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
The South, particularly old Colonial south like Georgia and South Carolina, live in their own world. One of the plantations outside of Charleston, I did the tour. The decendants of the plantation owner (white) who still own it, they keep up with and are like family with the descendants of the main guy who ran the plantation as a slave. They had like photos of small children playing together, the latest of each generation.

kiwifan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
I read this article this morning and I'm still torn between happy that they're making some progress and sadness that this shit is still a reality in the State of my birth.

Monica_Rules
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Its taken untill 2007? Whay so long?

Marshmallow
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
:o This is an embarrassment!

cellophane
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Where the hell is this school? :o

No Name Face
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
were there any interracial couples? :hehehe:

Infiniti2001
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
were there any interacial couples? :hehehe:

Baby steps my friend :lol: :shrug:

ptkten
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:52 AM

It's pretty sad to see Georgia allowing this to go on.....
it's a state controlled by the Democratic Party, and
I cannot understand how this was accepted for decades -
just a few miles south of Atlanta.

I think it had to be something that not only the white
students, but, black students as well, preferred to keep
in practice for so long. As it seems the black kids outnumber
the white kids. I get that I guess, some tradition, old fashioned,
etc. Maybe like college black Greek frats and sororities, etc.

But, how could the school district ever allow this to go on as
separate, and promote it on campus, and families keep it up year
after year.

What they do off campus, away from school, is their own business.
Can't stop them from having a separate party or 'prom' at some home
or location. But, official campus proms and elections and ticket sales,
no way should have been allowed on campus if it was for separate
events -black and white.

:lol: You say the Democratic party controls Georgia, but you don't even know the facts. The REPUBLICAN party controls both houses of the legislative branch and holds the governorship in Georgia. Nice try.

Pureracket
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM
:lol: You say the Democratic party controls Georgia, but you don't even know the facts. The REPUBLICAN party controls both houses of the legislative branch and holds the governorship in Georgia. Nice try.I wasn't even going to try to correct her on that ignorance.

aussie12
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM
its sad that so much racism still exists in 2007

Crazy Canuck
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:35 AM
its sad that so much racism still exists in 2007
Human nature... it will still exist in 3007. Assuming that we still do.

mirzalover
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:54 AM
wasnt this a lifetime movie with raven simone in it

piercerocks
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:04 AM
wow.. i'm really glad i live in new york.. 2007 is way too long for something like that to happen

HippityHop
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Kum ba yah mah Lord, Kum ba yah,
Oh Lord, kum ba yah!

:tape: :devil: :angel:

Kenny
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Really sad it took this long.