PDA

View Full Version : Yeltsin's impact on tennis

*JR*
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Though volleyball was his own favorite sport, the late Russian President made a major push to develop his country's pro game. Its indisputable that without him, the WTA wouldn't have nearly as many highly ranked Russians. Please discuss.

schorsch
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
i'm so sad right now. i didnt know much of him, but i always loved to see him root for myskina, sharapova and the other russian players. he would sit there and watch with joy and then even ask for autographs.

myskina who had dinners here and there at yeltsin's must be crushed :/

may he rest in peace!

btw i love both volleyball and tennis. they're my favourite sports. so... that makes me even more sad.

FaceyFacem
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
was thinking the same thing, all the russians said they would be inspired to play their best knowing he was in attendance to watch their matches

perhaps this will spark them to the DC or Fed Cup titles

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
He enjoyed Fed Cup

http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1569_gallery.JPGPhotographer: Paul Zimmer Date: 27 Nov 2004

Demska
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Wow. I'm watching the news now and just literally found out he just died. :sad:

He was there when Nastya won the Kremlin Cup. :hug:

Emina.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
:sad:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Laurra_/1052107210961072121be.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Laurra_/maria-sharapova_fr_rg2006_157.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Laurra_/maria-sharapova_fr_rg2006_156.jpg

MyskinaManiac
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Nastya will be shattered. He was like her biggest fan... because unlike other Russian players, she pretty much summed up the Russian way: work hard, fight hard and victory will be the result. They had a special bond... poor Nastya, can't get a good run of luck; her mum, toe injury, no coach and now Boris... hmmm... it'll come together.

Thanks Boris for supporting the Russian girls and womens tennis in general.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
I just think Boris was a great great man. History will look on him very very kindly. I honestly believe the world is a better place because of him and there are not too many politicians one can say that about. I really wonder if not for him whether the breakup of the Soviet Union and end of the occupation of most of East Europe would ever have happened. He was courageous, genuine and a lover of people. I am so sad that he is gone but he had an amazing life so there can't be too many regrets. He couldn't have given more of himself.

The way he supported tennis, too, was very touching. He just showed so much enthusiasm, love and care. You could always see that it really mattered to him. As important and powerful a person he was when he was watching tennis he was just a big fan. The guy had a huge heart and I am said he is no longer with us. :tears:

Marcell
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/67/fullj.getty-tennis-fed-cup-rus-fra-myskina-yeltsin_10_20_28_am.jpg

Talula
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
I wonder if Maria knew who he was?!:lol:

Seriously, he did like tennis and life and of course booze.

I bet he and Nastya had a ball!

I still think it was Kafelnikov and Kournikova who really opened the doors for Russian tennis and paved the way - they demonstrated that tennis was a way out to riches and a better life so others began to focus on it. Much better to play tennis and earn millions, than to shot a put and get nothing but a medal.;)

If only diving was so lucrative, Dmitry Sautin and Igor loukachin would be billionaires.

Talula
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
I just think Boris was a great great man. History will look on him very very kindly. I honestly believe the world is a better place because of him and there are not too many politicians one can say that about. I really wonder if not for him whether the breakup of the Soviet Union and end of the occupation of most of East Europe would ever have happened. He was courageous, genuine and a lover of people. I am so sad that he is gone but he had an amazing life so there can't be too many regrets. He couldn't have given more of himself.

The way he supported tennis, too, was very touching. He just showed so much enthusiasm, love and care. You could always see that it really mattered to him. As important and powerful a person he was when he was watching tennis he was just a big fan. The guy had a huge heart and I am said he is no longer with us. :tears:

What about Tony Blair?;) Or maybe I shouldn't rattle cages!:lol:

RR-87
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Very sad news about Boris :sad: :sad: :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
What about Tony Blair?;) Or maybe I shouldn't rattle cages!:lol:

I am not a Blair fan, for what it's worth. I've been voting Liberal all my life.

*JR*
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
I still think it was Kafelnikov and Kournikova who really opened the doors for Russian tennis and paved the way - they demonstrated that tennis was a way out to riches and a better life so others began to focus on it. Much better to play tennis and earn millions, than to shot a put and get nothing but a medal.;)
Yeltsin still made it possible for the legions of kids there to get some early coaching, where some would be good enough to interest ppl like Bollettieri.

Marcell
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Former Russian President, Tennis Supporter Boris Yeltsin Is Dead At 76

Tennis Week
04/24/2007

Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin, an avid tennis player and supporter of the sport who was the first president of the Russian Tennis Federation and a long-time fixture at Russian Davis Cup and and Fed Cup ties, has died, the Kremlin announced today. He was 76.

Yeltsin broke political barriers and leaped over tennis barricades during an adventurous public life.

Though the Kremlin has not released an official cause of death, the Associated Press, citing The Interfax news agency, reports Yeltsin died of heart failure.

A pivotal figure in Russia's evolution, Yeltsin is credited with presiding over the peaceful dissolution of the former Soviet state in 1991 and of encouraging the nation to embrace many democratic principles.

Yeltsin was a passionate tennis player and devoted fan of the sport, who played a role in fostering the growth of the game in his country. Yeltsin was a close friend of Russian Davis Cup and Fed Cup captain Shamil Tarpischev, who worked at the Kremlin during Yeltsin's administration. Yeltsin was inducted into the Russian Tennis Hall of Fame in 2003— a year after Mikhail Sumarokov-Elston, 1973 Wimbledon finalist Alex Metreveli, Tarpischev and Yevgeny Kafelnikov.
In February of 2006, Marat Safin, former Davis Cup teammate Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Tarpischev joined distinguished guests, including former U.S. President Bill Clinton and Russian President Vladimir Putin in attending former Yeltsin's black-tie birthday celebration.

Yeltsin was in the crowd cheering on Safin and teammates Mikhail Youzhny and Kafelnikov when they led Russia to its first Davis Cup championship in history with a 3-2 triumph over host France in the 2002 final that saw former Davis Cup ball boy Youzhny fight back from a two-set deficit to defeat Paul-Henri Mathieu in the decisive fifth match.

Yeltsin was a friend and fan of fellow Muscovites Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva. He was in the crowd for the 2000 Kremlin Cup final when Martina Hingis beat Anna Kournikova and again in 2001 when Jelena Dokic defeated Dementieva. And when Myskina made history as the first Russian woman to win the Kremlin Cup title with a 6-2, 6-4, conquest of Amélie Mauresmo in the 2003 final, an ecstatic Yeltsin leaped over the barrier separating spectators from players, rushed out onto the court and embraced Myskina with the exuberance of a proud parent. Yeltsin also traveled to Paris in June of 2004 and was on hand to see Myskina become the Russian woman to win a Grand Slam championship when the sixth-seeded Myskina crushed Dementieva, 6-1, 6-2, in the French Open final.

The former President was a proud supporter of Russia's Fed Cup team, which capture the country's first Fed Cup championship in Moscow in November of 2004.

Tennis Week senior correspondent Richard Evans was in Moscow last September to cover Russia's Davis Cup semifinal victory over the United States and filed this report on Russian Tennis Racquet Revolution: When The Soviet Union Imploded, Russian Tennis Exploded (note the smiling Yeltsin standing next to Safin in the photo).

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-11-29/U354P6T12D1274583F44DT20041129112852.jpg

Talula
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yeltsin still made it possible for the legions of kids there to get some early coaching, where some would be good enough to interest ppl like Bollettieri.

Boris Yeltsin was/is/will always be responsible for the death of thousands and thousands of people. He was deposed by his own country, was a drunk, and as I said, ensured the death of so many people, it is uncountable beyond 100,000. But he liked and promoted tennis? Priorities?

selesbooz
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
:sad:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Laurra_/1052107210961072121be.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Laurra_/maria-sharapova_fr_rg2006_157.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/Laurra_/maria-sharapova_fr_rg2006_156.jpg

I imagine that Goldenlox's world just came crumbling down:lol: Boris thinks she Russian enough:help:

Talula
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-11-29/U354P6T12D1274583F44DT20041129112852.jpg

I'll pose with a trophy and pretty girls while thousands die and corruption takes over the country I say I work for.

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Yeltsin was a big supporter of tennis

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7005/596imagehl5.jpg

Emina.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
I imagine that Goldenlox's world just came crumbling down:lol: Boris thinks she Russian enough:help:

:lol:

he stood up greeting her with applause it was very nice :)

rhz
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yeltsin was a big supporter of tennis

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7005/596imagehl5.jpg

Look how small the trophy that Myskina brought home :help: :help:

rhz
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM

Who was the 4th player? Elena D or Sveta K?

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeltsin didn't live long enough to see Sharapova play Fed Cup. Sveta was the 4th player.
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1597_gallery.JPG

Emina.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Yeltsin didn't live long enough to see Sharapova play Fed Cup. Sveta was the 4th player.

i have been thinking about that today :sad:

`

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Boris Yeltsin was/is/will always be responsible for the death of thousands and thousands of people. He was deposed by his own country, was a drunk, and as I said, ensured the death of so many people, it is uncountable beyond 100,000. But he liked and promoted tennis? Priorities?

I'll pose with a trophy and pretty girls while thousands die and corruption takes over the country I say I work for.

Either good things or nothing you should say about person who has died. What YOU have said is disgusting as well as lie.
Yeltsin is maybe the first EVER Russian leader who didn't kill or send to jail a single person.

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031006/sp3.jpg

Talula
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Either good things or nothing you should say about person who has died. What YOU have said is disgusting as well as lie.
Yeltsin is maybe the first EVER Russian leader who didn't kill or send to jail a single person.

What you have said is a lie. He DID send thousands to jail. He DID ensure the death of tens of thousands. Why souldn't I speak ill of him? I spoke ill of him when he was alive. I speak ill of Blair and Bush, and any murderers, and I'll not ignore what the drunken fool Yeltsin did.

If you ignore the bad doings of the dead, do you ignore Hitler and Stalin? Or the child killer down the road?

Get real. A self serving murderer who didn't have a clue what he was doing is dead. Just because someone dies does NOT make them good. Yeltsin caused pain and suffering and had no plan.

Yeltsin was deposed. He was loathed. He allowed corruption and terrorism to reign. He achieved nothing but death. But now he is dead, you and others go on a sob mission.

Oh, but he loved tennis. Priorities?!:help:

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I speak ill of Blair and Bush, and any murderers... :help:
Who cares what your opinions are. Go to non-tennis and have yourself a party, clown

TaliaSecondServe
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
He was courageous, genuine and a lover of people.
Try to say it in Russia - will be surpirised by people's reaction.

I totally agree with that it's good that former republics like Latvia, Estonia and others got independence from USSR due to Yeltsin. But that's all. He sold out our country, and most of the so-called businessmen whom Europe consider as business people, oppresses by Putin, are real thiefts that took those that never belonged to them.

He's dead and it's not Christian to say anything wrong about him so nothing would be said. Or stop.. he was a tennis fan!

slk45
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
My condolences to Pres. Yeltsin's family and our Russian members.

*JR*
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
To hopefully cap the politics ITT, Yeltsin was far from perfect (and did cause deaths in shelling Parliament in '93 as well as in Chechnya). But while the first was probably ovadone, the Duma (Parliament) and Yeltsin's own VP Rutskoi were trying to slowly repeat the failed '91 coup against Gorby. Re. Chechnya, Abraham Lincoln caused far more deaths in the US stopping the southern states from seceding, and if the Chechens had succeeded @ that, other regions would have been lining up to do so too. In other words, each of these 2 Yeltsin actions wasn't all good or bad.

BTW, there's a thread in NT about his death thats more suitable for debate about his political legacy.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM
To hopefully cap the politics ITT, Yeltsin was far from perfect (and did cause deaths in shelling Parliament in '93 as well as in Chechnya). But while the first was probably ovadone, the Duma (Parliament) and Yeltsin's own VP Rutskoi were trying to slowly repeat the failed '91 coup against Gorby. Re. Chechnya, Abraham Lincoln caused far more deaths in the US stopping the southern states from seceding, and if the Chechens had succeeded @ that, other regions would have been lining up to do so too. In other words, each of these 2 Yeltsin actions wasn't all good or bad.

BTW, there's a thread in NT about his death thats more suitable for debate about his political legacy.

you're right-most people in power do good AND bad things, its hard to find a perfect leader.
this thread is about his effect on tennis and that clearly has been huge. the russian boom had a lot to do with him :worship:
so lets all calm down :)