PDA

View Full Version : Helen Kelesi..Any news on her?

AaronJoyB
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
i remember she was ill

is she ok now?

ToeTag
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
The last I heard was that she was working in Saskatchewan, as a tennis coach. She had the tumor taken out, and she seemed to be fine.

davidmario
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
who is this woman?

ToeTag
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
who is this woman?

Canadian tennis player who was ranked as high as #11. Nickname was Hurricane Helen.

John.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Helen - Last time I saw her play was when Steffi thumped 60 60 at Wimbledon in 1993.

What was wrong with her?

Helen Lawson
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Her parents named her after me. And Betsy Nagelson's, too. Those broads should be glad the suits at Columbia re-named me when I got to Hollywood, or it would be "Hurricane Edythe," although Betsy doesn't use her first name.

LindsayRulz
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Yes she is ok now. Like said rbc, she works as a tennis coach in Saskatchewan.

laurie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
She was an amazing character. So glad she's ok now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Kelesi

Monica Seles talked quite a bit about Hurricane Helen in her autobiography "From Fear to Victory" in 1997. Almost with affection because Helen played so hard and Monica appreciates that.

superseles
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM
helens 2nd round clash with monica at the french open in 1990 was one of the best matches ive ever seen,best helen ever played i think,helen was angry with monica coz moni was playing dubs with betsy nagelson instead of her and wanted to beat monica so bad.moni won 46,64,64,hard fought all the way.great stuff.

laurie
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
helens 2nd round clash with monica at the french open in 1990 was one of the best matches ive ever seen,best helen ever played i think,helen was angry with monica coz moni was playing dubs with betsy nagelson instead of her and wanted to beat monica so bad.moni won 46,64,64,hard fought all the way.great stuff.

I really loved the way Monica told this story in her book - Helen wanted her! The reason Helen wanted her is highly amusing itself - she was easily slighted! I also have the match and I love it.

I would love a Hurricane Helen type playing today but i can't think of any player now who's similar in character.

More characters in the game in the 1980s and 1990s?

Navratilova, Gigi Fernandez, Sanchez Vicario, Novotna, Natasha Zvereva, Conchita Martinez, Natalie Tauziat, Helen Kelesi were all characters in their own way.

Who are the characters out there today?