PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Davenport~ idol of some activ players?

ChampLindsay
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Does someone of the especially young players have Lindsay as there idol???

discuss!!

i m not sure but i hear that Vaidisova has Lindsay as her idol!?

frontier
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
nicole idolized the william sisters she talked about it in australia when they asked her about playing serena in the semis,she said that she was in awe when serena came to train at bollitieri when nicole was 11yrs and it was a "oh my god" moment for her,and her game is fashioned after venus.

MistyGrey
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
umm no, Nicole idolized Steffi Graf. She has said that on numerous occasions.

TennisGuy21
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I definatly heard her speaking of Idolizing the Williams while she was at Nick's school growing up. She talked about it during the Australian Open this year.

MistyGrey
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
From the Australian open

Q. What was the first time you saw Serena?
NICOLE VAIDISOVA: Probably in Bollettieri's. She came and practiced, or playing matches. I was definitely a big fan of hers, admired the way she played.
Q. Was she especially intense in practice?
NICOLE VAIDISOVA: Yeah, I watched her practice. I was 11 years old, 12. I was very excited to see her play, to see her there. Definitely very impressed with her.

Q. Was it one of those, Wow, I hope to hit the ball like her someday?
NICOLE VAIDISOVA: Definitely at 12, you don't get to hit as she does, no. We'll see if she gets through. I could face her in the match.

Interview from the French Open

Q. Then you went to Prague and you were playing well in which club? Who were inspiring you for tennis? Czech players, German players, your stepfather?

NICOLE VAIDISOVA: I've been in Germany since some while, definitely Steffi Graf was my inspiration. I don't think there's going to be anybody beating her records, anything she does. I definitely admire her on court and off court, how she carried herself, so much class. She's definitely a great example.

An article before Wimbledon 2006..

Nicole Vaidisova has plenty of reasons to relish her return to Wimbledon this year after capturing the headlines during her sensational run to the French Open semi-finals last week.

The Czech 17-year-old spent the first six years of her life in Germany where she was weaned on the grass-court exploits of the great Steffi Graf, who remains an outstanding role model to this day.

Vaidisova beat both Amelie Mauresmo and Venus Williams at Roland Garros and such is her desire to build on that success that she has pulled out of next week's Eastbourne tournament in order to give Wimbledon her full attention.

Vaidisova told PA Sport: "I am always excited to play on grass because it is a small part of the year but there is so much history and so many traditions associated with it.

"Being born in Germany Steffi Graf was always my idol and my inspiration and I am sure nobody else is ever going to do as well as she did. She had so much class on and off the court.

"I grew up watching some of Steffi's finals at Wimbledon and I remember them and how she fought for victory. She was definitely the player I looked up to the most."

What she said in Australia was that she admired Serena, not that she idolized the Williams sisters. But she has repeatedly said Steffi Graf was her idol growing up.

Not to highjack the thread, I am sure there are players that idolized Lindsay.
:p

tennisjunky
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
was going to post that nikki was a serena and venus fan, but it seems that others already know this. you can really tell she watched venus a lot by her strokes. her backhand is a mirror image of venus'. they have different forehands but a ton of similarities in their games.

nflatte
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I know Angelique Widjaja from Indonesia idolized Lindsay.

IMPOSSIBLE
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Arvidsson