PDA

View Full Version : Seeds Announced For Fed Cup World Group I & II Playoffs

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Seeds announced for World Group/World Group II Play-offsThe seeded nations have been announced for the draws for the 2007 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group and World Group II Play-offs that will take place on Wednesday 25 April at the ITF Offices in London at 11:00 (10:00 GMT). The seeds are based on the new ITF Fed Cup Nations Ranking of 23 April.

The four seeds for the World Group Play-offs are (listed in alphabetical order):

Austria
Belgium
Japan
Spain

The four seeded nations will each be drawn against one of the following unseeded nations (listed in alphabetical order):

China, P.R.
Czech Republic
Germany
Israel

The four seeds for the World Group II Play-offs are (listed in alphabetical order):

Australia
Canada
Croatia
Slovak Republic

The four seeded nations will each be drawn against one of the following unseeded nations (listed in alphabetical order):

Argentina
Chinese Taipei
Serbia
Ukraine

The draws for the World Group and World Group II Play-offs will appear on the Fed Cup website. The ties will take place on 14-15 July, alongside the World Group semifinals.

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
:woohoo: @ China being unseeded ... I was scared that they would draw Czech Republic and have to play them on clay ... now that they are unseeded, the prospective opponents are all beatable, with the toughest probably being Austria if the tie was on clay

hope Serbia gets a good draw in World Group II

crazillo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Belgium or Japan would be better for Germany.

Harvs
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Us Aussies will dispose of Argentina, Chinese Taipei or Ukraine easily. Just PRAYING we don't draw Serbia...

Just Do It
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Serbia is not seeded :scratch:

Meelis
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Serbia is not seeded :scratch:

Seeds are based on Fed Cup ranking

http://www.fedcup.com/ranking/current.asp

Harvs
Hopefully we draw Chinese Taipei or Ukraine as they are easily beatable teams and the choice of location will be chosen by a lot.
If we get Argentina, we play there. (Had enough of them in bloody Davis Cup)
If we draw Serbia, we better pray to fucking god Jankovic and Ivanovic are injured :)

Harvs
Also, will someone get bloody Canada out of the World Groups... what the hell?

RND
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Good luck to Japan,Czech,and Chinese Taipei. :woohoo:

Invisible Fan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Also, will someone get bloody Canada out of the World Groups... what the hell?

:haha: That's not very diplomatic of you.

spiceboy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
The four seeds for the World Group Play-offs are (listed in alphabetical order):

Austria
Belgium
Japan
Spain

China, P.R.
Czech Republic
Germany
Israel

I don't understand it.

So it can be possible a Spain vs China playoff (both losers last weekend) and one of them will stay in World Group? And it could happen an Austria vs Czech Republic playoff? (both winners last weekend)

That sounds kinda weird to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I don't understand it.

So it can be possible a Spain vs China playoff (both losers last weekend) and one of them will stay in World Group? And it could happen an Austria vs Czech Republic playoff? (both winners last weekend)

That sounds kinda weird to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rankings changed after weekend results
and they use new ranks for seedings.

same happens in Davis Cup.

spiceboy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
rankings changed after weekend results
and they use new ranks for seedings.

same happens in Davis Cup.

Thanks Eggy :wavey:

Though I find it extremely unfair for Austria :o

In every sport is always winners from a lower league vs losers from the higher league. Weird...

gotthebend
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I hope Taiwan draws Slovakia. That'll be a dream come true.:hearts:

GermanBoy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
We want to avoid an encounter between Australia and Argentina as I want both teams in World Group II next year.

Also hope that Germany can win their play off to rejoin World Group I.

Martian KC
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Hopefully we draw Chinese Taipei or Ukraine as they are easily beatable teams and the choice of location will be chosen by a lot.

Ha! Hopefully you guys will draw Taiwan! Go Taiwan!

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
I want China v Spain in Beijing (hard courts) :devil:
China v Belgium would be OK also as long as Juju dosen't have a last minute change of heart and decide to play :scared:
China v Japan :hearts: ... would be a hard fought hard court battle but the Chinese still have edge
China v Austria :unsure:

©@®eLess
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
never liked the idea of making two world groups

Continental zones are not fair either. You Have Americas...in which only 2 countries stand a chance of making it. Canada and Argentina... others dont come even close (cant see USA getting out of World Group), then u Have Asia/Ocenia in whic the only team is worth anything is Taipei and Thailand ( China and Japan in world group)...and then you have Europe/Africa...with III zonal groups- easch filled with bizzilions of teams. So this year you have Switzerland,Poland,Netherlands...stuck in the zonal groups...and chance if it comes to playoff match - Slovakia-Serbia that one of them goes out too...But then you have CANADA in....based on wins over Dominican Republic, Bermuda, Panama or whatever!

Most fair pairings would be

Slovakia-Chinese Taipei
Serbia-Canada
Australia-Croatia
Argentina-Ukraine

based on their top players!

jisung
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Good luck to Japan,Czech,and Chinese Taipei. :woohoo::rolleyes:

Viktymise
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hopefully Croatia don't draw Slovakia

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
never liked the idea of making two world groups

Continental zones are not fair either. You Have Americas...in which only 2 countries stand a chance of making it. Canada and Argentina... others dont come even close (cant see USA getting out of World Group), then u Have Asia/Ocenia in whic the only team is worth anything is Taipei and Thailand ( China and Japan in world group)...and then you have Europe/Africa...with III zonal groups- easch filled with bizzilions of teams. So this year you have Switzerland,Poland,Netherlands...stuck in the zonal groups...and chance if it comes to playoff match - Slovakia-Serbia that one of them goes out too...But then you have CANADA in....based on wins over Dominican Republic, Bermuda, Panama or whatever!

Most fair pairings would be

Slovakia-Chinese Taipei
Serbia-Canada
Australia-Croatia
Argentina-Ukraine

based on their top players!

I don't like 2 WG either but if there was one 16 team WG (like in Davis Cup), then they will have to play 4 ties a year to determine the champion ... the top players already find it difficult to play 3 ties a year so I doubt that anybody would want to play 4

and I agree that the Americas zone is the weakest by far ... USA will always be WG and Argentina / Canada will always advance from the zonal competition ... the thing is, if Argentina or Canada both manage to win a WG II Playoff, then some other country (Brazil) will have the opportunity next year

while in Europe alot of good countries are fighting for very few spots ...