PDA

View Full Version : What would BJK think of Sharapova (and co) and the Glamourisation of women's tennis?

Sugar_Kane
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Discuss Please.

http://www.adrants.com/images/maria_sharapova_back.jpg

http://freenet-homepage.de/hmsass/mariacal13.jpg

http://i.cnn.net/si/pr/subs/swimsuit/images/04_akournikova_04.jpg

http://i.cnn.net/si/pr/subs/swimsuit/images/03_swilliams_01.jpg

http://www.focusmag.gr/id/files/158346/maria_sharapova_008.jpg

Would she be pleased that the sport is being promoted by glamour models? I'm sure there are other ways to promote the sport.

Does this kind of promotion diminish the sport?

dreamgoddess099
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
I think Billie is quite fond of it. She's always talking about how good it is that certain players transcend the sport.

V-MAC
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
It helps raise the profile of the sport so I'm sure she is fine with it :shrug:

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
i think she is and anyway it wasn't sharapova who stared all of this...it was anna k, Martina Hingis, Serena and Venus..the Venus Envy era

Sugar_Kane
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
It helps raise the profile of the sport so I'm sure she is fine with it :shrug:

But is this how she wanted the sport's profile to be raised, she fought hard to show that not just female tennis players but female athletes could be as athletic as well. And instead we have girls posing in their bikini's to add to their own personal wealth!

french fries
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
She would turn in her grave

miffedmax
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Frankly, I don't think it makes that much difference. There may be women athletes who are sexy as hell in sports I don't watch ( e.g. basketball, golf) and that's not going to make me start watching them.

I know that there are some very attractive women playing soccer, which I love, but after watching the old women's pro league in the US I quit because I felt the product was not as entertaining.

I watch women's tennis because I enjoy it--I think it is one of the few sports where the ladies' product is as good as the guys. I've rooted for my share of pin-up girls like Lena D. and Carling Bassett-Seguso, but I also have rooted for King, Navritalova, Shriver and Garrison, none of whom were all that attractive IMHO.

I suspect I"m not atypical of fans on WTAWorld. I think BJK would be fine with people judging women's tennis on its own merits and watching it. That some of the women who play happen to be pretty is just icing on the cake.

starr
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
BJK is a promoter. She isn't interested in being traditional. She started world team tennis which pretty much disregards everything that is traditional in tennis. She believes in star power and I'm sure she doesn't care two bits how players market themselves. And, Billie Jean is one who appreciates a pretty girl, so she probably likes to see them posing in bikinis and short skirts.

The only caution she might have for the pin up girls is that they focus on tennis because that's the most important thing.

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Those pics aren't glamourous at all! Esp. the first one with Maria:o (maria i can see your ass...)

jazar
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
someone should ask her, its not like she is dead

ToeTag
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
someone should ask her, its not like she is dead

Yeah, and somehow she would manage to turn it into a another shill session for her WTT.

10s4life
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
i think she is and anyway it wasn't sharapova who stared all of this...it was anna k, Martina Hingis, Serena and Venus..the Venus Envy era

i would say anna k started it, and maria was the first to be glamourous and win slams. serena is famous, but not attractive in most peoples eyes.

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
i would say anna k started it, and maria was the first to be glamourous and win slams. serena is famous, but not attractive in most peoples eyes.
Show proof of this statement, or STFU!!!!!

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I think she's all about anything that ultimately empowers women's tennis. So, if these photos actually DO that, then I think she's probably pleased.

Although, I have to say I HATE that 1st pic' of Shapo. It looks like something out of "Hustler" Mag'. It's not really in good taste, imho. But, her other pics look good. :yeah:

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I think she's all about anything that ultimately empowers women's tennis. So, if these photos actually DO that, then I think she's probably pleased.

Although, I have to say I HATE that 1st pic' of Shapo. It looks like something out of "Hustler" Mag'. It's not really in good taste, imho. But, her other pics look good. :yeah:

i would like to flip your 1st with the 2nd. i think all of sharpie's photos are amazing, but the sports illustrated shoot taht she did, the one people probably recognize the most, is the one i personally like the least

dreamgoddess099
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM

And by most people you mean.....you? :shrug: Besides, Serena doesn't need to be attractive in most peoples eyes. She's mainly interested in black athletes (particularly foot ball players) and plenty of them think she looks damn fine.

JadeFox
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM

What about Chris Evert? I always thought that she was the one who was the original glamour girl.

Orion
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM
What about Chris Evert? I always thought that she was the one who was the original glamour girl.

She was the original of the modern era. Starting with Evert, who had a very high profile social life, it kind of trailed off in a lot of peoples minds because there wasn't a super attractive American-known tennis player again until Kournikova (Graf and Sabatini didn't have the same kind of publicity).

But even before then, tennis had glamour to it. Suzanne Lenglen was notoriously fashionable, and Maria Bueno turned heads with her exotic beauty in the 50's and 60's. It's not a new phenomenon, and BJK is certainly glad of it. It's much harder to make a women's sport marketable if they aren't good looking. Sad, but true.

Hellion
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
She would turn in her grave

:eek: in who's grave ?

tonybotz
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
BJK would soak her panties.

TonyP
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I assume if King didn't like it, she'd speak out. I don't think she has.

But also, these pictures are glamour pictures. I don't see any tennis rackets in anyone's hands, except for the guy walking by behind the girl in pink (whoever that is)

Anyway, they appear to be individual glamour shots, not the official pictures of the WTA. We are not going to see them in the official WTA tour guide published each year.

If some of these girls have it, they have a right to flaunt it. Besides, women athletes always want to show their feminine side. This is not the first sport where that happens. Golf has had its glamour girls, too. Auto racing has that girl driver, ? Patrick, who poses for lots of glamour shots.

There's nothing wrong with any of it. Good looking male athletes have cashed in on their good looks for decades. Some of them turn to acting after their sports careers are over and almost always, its the handsome ones who do.

ioni
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I assume if King didn't like it, she'd speak out. I don't think she has.

But also, these pictures are glamour pictures. I don't see any tennis rackets in anyone's hands, except for the guy walking by behind the girl in pink (whoever that is)

Anyway, they appear to be individual glamour shots, not the official pictures of the WTA. We are not going to see them in the official WTA tour guide published each year.

If some of these girls have it, they have a right to flaunt it. Besides, women athletes always want to show their feminine side. This is not the first sport where that happens. Golf has had its glamour girls, too. Auto racing as that girl driver who poses for lots of glamour shots.

There's nothing wrong with any of it. Good looking male athletes have cashed in on their good looks for decades. Some of them turn to acting after their sports careers are over and almost always, its the handsome ones who do.

i'm not one of those people who thinks that you have to know all the tennis players but still :tape: the girl in pink [whoever that is ] ?!? are you for real ? :lol: do you watch tennis ?

TonyP
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Boy are some people easily offended. NO, sorry, I don't recognize the girl in pink. So what. Does that mean I don't know anything about tennis? I would suspect I have over the course of my lifetime attended IN PERSON more professional tennis matches and talked with more players than almost any poster here. The first women's final I ever attended, in person, was between BJK and Chris Evert. (Both of whom I have talked with, in person.)

Anyway, the girl in pink is not the main point of my post.

ioni
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Boy are some people easily offended. NO, sorry, I don't recognize the girl in pink. So what. Does that mean I don't know anything about tennis? I would suspect I have over the course of my lifetime attended IN PERSON more professional tennis matches and talked with more players than almost any poster here. The first women's final I ever attended, in person, was between BJK and Chris Evert. (Both of whom I have talked with, in person.)

Anyway, the girl in pink is not the main point of my post.

oh dear ,i don't get so easily offended ...thought i've said i don't expect people to know all the tennis players ...does Sharapova tells you something ???

manu32
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM

i agree but BJK......who cares now......

10s4life
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:52 AM
And by most people you mean.....you? :shrug: Besides, Serena doesn't need to be attractive in most peoples eyes. She's mainly interested in black athletes (particularly foot ball players) and plenty of them think she looks damn fine.

i'd suggest an offensive lineman then.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I think that Billie was a little jealous of Chris and Evonne back in the day because they were considered feminine sex symbols and Billie wasn't! Billie used to tell Chris that "I WEAR jewelry TOOO!" LOL

I think Billie would have loved to make the money that the "sex symbol" players make today. Plus, Billie would be in favor of anything that promotes the sport.

Also, Evert, Goologong, Graf, Shriek and Serena are winners! I think Billie would only resent the "glamour," in a player who wasted her talent to flaunt her looks (not mentioning any names....).

Volcana
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Discuss Please. Would she be pleased that the sport is being promoted by glamour models?The sport ISN"T being promoted by 'glamour models'. Certain players are being used to sell refrigerators and cars.
Does this kind of promotion diminish the sport?Not at all. It doesn't have anything to do with the sport.

Nav made this point quite well discussing Kournikova, pointing out that Kournikova was paid to be a sex symbol, not a tennis player. She wasn't making money some other player could have made.

Sexy advertising probably hurts the sport in the long run, since it encourages girls to focus on being attractive to others, not to be superior athletically. OTOH, a lot of girls are still, believe it or not, terrified of being tagged as lesbians if they're athletes. Hyper-hetero-sexualization of tennis players does help diffuse that stereotype.

But does this sort of advertising have any effect on crowds, or TV ratings, or quality of play, or participation in the sport? I don't think so. It does sell more cars, refridgerators and watches though.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Evert very much was the "original glamour girl" of the modern era. Evonne Goolagong too!!!! But especially Evert. The WTA also used to have a calendar with the women in sexy clothes to raise money for charity back in the 80's. Anybody remember that?

In a documentary on Chris, her agent from IMG talked also about how Evert was really the first widely *marketed* and well paid for her endorsements female athlete. Chris set the path for what has followed through to the Kournakova's, Shriek's and Serena's marketing success of today.

People wrote that Graf didn't get publicity for her looks, but as I wrote in another post, I very much remember her Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. I had no idea that Graf looked that great (although we all knew she had killer legs).

Volcana
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:30 AM
i would say anna k started it, and maria was the first to be glamourous and win slams. serena is famous, but not attractive in most peoples eyes.Serena is extremely attractive in most peoples eyes. That's one reason why she's the one player who gets acting gigs on TV. Of course, there are a lot of good looking girls on tour, so it helps that Serena has the hottest body on the tour, too.

stevos
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Serena is extremely attractive in most peoples eyes. That's one reason why she's the one player who gets acting gigs on TV. Of course, there are a lot of good looking girls on tour, so it helps that Serena has the hottest body on the tour, too.

I have to disagree with you here.

I mean, I find her attractive, but I know almost every single one of my friends (normal males) would not find her attractive, because the first thing that comes to mind is that she is jacked. They'd say something like "she'd beat me up" or something.

I'm not saying it's true or anything, it's just the view guys I know have of her.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM

I mean, I find her attractive, but I know almost every single one of my friends (normal males) would not find her attractive, because the first thing that comes to mind is that she is jacked. They'd say something like "she'd beat me up" or something.

I'm not saying it's true or anything, it's just the view guys I know have of her.

"Normal males" huh????!!!! Well, both my husband and my son agree that your "normal friends have a PROBLEM" :help: if they don't find that photo above of Serena attractive! I consider my boyz to be pretty normal guys. Serena "beating them up" was NOT the first thing that crossed their mind (and if she did, most "normal guys" might ENJOY it! :devil: :lick:).

10s4life
Apr 26th, 2007, 05:29 AM

i know very few males that really want to watch serena.

stevos
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:04 AM
"Normal males" huh????!!!! Well, both my husband and my son agree that your "normal friends have a PROBLEM" :help: if they don't find that photo above of Serena attractive! I consider my boyz to be pretty normal guys. Serena "beating them up" was NOT the first thing that crossed their mind (and if she did, most "normal guys" might ENJOY it! :devil: :lick:).

None of them have seen that picture though.

MisterQ
Apr 26th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Billie Jean knew when Evert first burst through the draw at the 1971 US Open that their new women's tour had a star with major drawing power. There was some resentment of this seemingly aloof young phenom among the women players, and Billie made it a point to tell them that Evert was exactly what they had been waiting for. So in the early days, at least, Billie seemed to have some understanding of the role "glamour" could play in promotion of the sport.

Don't know how she feels about the way this has developed, though.