PDA

View Full Version : Are there South Africans here? Could you help me?

tenn_ace
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
I was just wodering whether R 400,000 is considered to be a good salary that will allow to live comfortably in Cape Town?

PS. If there are any websites you know of that could help me - I will love you forever.

Thanks in advance :kiss:

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:25 AM
I know that the average GDP of the top quintalite is the average of a person in the US..

AH85
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
yeah, that does seem a good wage to be on to live well in cape town :)

hectopascal
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Also, everything is very cheap in South Africa, so the salary is actually worth more than the currency conversion. I don't know the current housing prices in Cape Town, but in Pietermaritzburg where I came from, they are about R1 million now (R400 thousand when we left 5 years ago), which is still much cheaper than houses in Australia. Also, bread was R2 when I left and it's $2 here in Australia (but R6 ~ $1)! So I would say that salary is pretty good.

DutchieGirl
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
I know that the average GDP of the top quintalite is the average of a person in the US..

yeah, really heklpful that it.

tenn_ace
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
yeah, really heklpful that it.

actually I'm exactly in that range in the US... so it is.

tenn_ace
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Also, everything is very cheap in South Africa, so the salary is actually worth more than the currency conversion. I don't know the current housing prices in Cape Town, but in Pietermaritzburg where I came from, they are about R1 million now (R400 thousand when we left 5 years ago), which is still much cheaper than houses in Australia. Also, bread was R2 when I left and it's $2 here in Australia (but R6 ~ $1)! So I would say that salary is pretty good.

why did you move? is it because a claimed rasism/extermination against whites? not to offend anyone, but this is what I keep reading at various boards about South Africa.

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
why did you move? is it because a claimed rasism/extermination against whites? not to offend anyone, but this is what I keep reading at various boards about South Africa.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM

believe me, it's not made up. those are exactly the words used to describe the situation. not sure to that extent it is ture, but this is why whites are fleeing the coutry.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
believe me, it's not made up. those are exactly the words used to describe the situation. not sure to that extent it is ture, but this is why whites are fleeing the coutry.

The severity is somewhat right... Remember they are under the AIDS crisis, when over 15 percent of the country, or pretty much your working force is about to just dissappear in less than 10 years from it.. It can't be seen... but this crisis is gonna make South Africa fall against its knees.

I think the stastistics are that whites don't have as much of the disease, and on top of that, they economical imbalances in the race axis is still very out of balance.

I would recommend you to go to Mauritius instead... but it seems like you are being offered a job for beautiful Cape Town... I am expecting you that you have a plan to get out of there in 5 or 10 years...

mandy7
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
You do know racism against white ppl actually exists right?

mandy7
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, and I'm sure it affects them on so many levels, thats its worth mentioning.

you don't know that.
neither does tenn_ace
and neither do i
but i do know that camron did not have to roll his eyes at it

it can affect ppl more than you'd think

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
you don't know that.
neither does tenn_ace
and neither do i

Mandy.. he just lives in another continent... his paradigm of the situation doesn't have to be perfect about it... give them a break... :p

tenn_ace
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
you don't know that.
neither does tenn_ace
and neither do i

right on the money. I do not know and have stated it. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before making a decision and am questionnning myself that the situation is as dire as described on some of the boards.

tenn_ace
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
The severity is somewhat right... Remember they are under the AIDS crisis, when over 15 percent of the country, or pretty much your working force is about to just dissappear in less than 10 years from it.. It can't be seen... but this crisis is gonna make South Africa fall against its knees.

I think the stastistics are that whites don't have as much of the disease, and on top of that, they economical imbalances in the race axis is still very out of balance.

I would recommend you to go to Mauritius instead... but it seems like you are being offered a job for beautiful Cape Town... I am expecting you that you have a plan to get out of there in 5 or 10 years...

I have not made decision yet, so will definitely check out Mauritius. Thanks, sweetie! :wavey:

AH85
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:57 AM
where in cape town are you looking at moving to? because i'm from cape town, and i can give you advice on places, because i still know people there :)

ys
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Cape Town is a wonderful, wonderful place to live. 400K is very good money for South Africa. I was earning around much less over there 10 years ago.. I love the country.. But all my friends left the country, mostly for UK or US..

Philbo
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:43 AM
I recently spent 2 weeks in Cape Town. I thought it was a beautiful city but not one i could live in for more than 6 months or so. There is still a big divide between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots', however on a day to day level I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the racial integration that I saw happening..

The country that has the big problems with racism against white people is Zimbabwe - that country has been reduced to famine and complete poverty because of Mugabe who is one crazy bastard. Whilst I think South Africa has some policies around reverse racisim to even things up, its not anything like the destructive policies in Zimbabwe.

bruingirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I'd be very interested to know by whom those words are used;) South Africa certainly has its problems (big ones), but I don't know of any extermination of white people. Those who have left have made their choices and that's fine, but I also know very many white people in this country who are making a good living (some more than just good) and who are excited about being here and contributing to our country's well being.

mandy7
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Mandy.. he just lives in another continent... his paradigm of the situation doesn't have to be perfect about it... give them a break... :p
Don't you talk to me, you disgust me.

And continents have nothing to do with it.

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
You do know racism against white ppl actually exists right?

Yep - I experienced it the other day!

AH85
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
the thing you will find in cape town, and any other place in south africa is the divide between the afrikaners, whites with british backgrounds, the asians and the blacks. there are some who break down any divide, and get along quite well, but there are others who don't and still live in the old days.

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:58 AM
the thing you will find in cape town, and any other place in south africa is the divide between the afrikaners, whites with british backgrounds, the asians and the blacks. there are some who break down any divide, and get along quite well, but there are others who don't and still live in the old days.

Yeah, that was true when I was there in 2001 too. :sad: It's a pity. Although I wasn't in Cape Town, but Bloemfontein, and Jeffrey's Bay. But it's a really beautiful country!

AH85
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
i was there last year for a bit (kind of good to be back home :p ) and there are some places that i wouldn't walk down during day or night

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
i was there last year for a bit (kind of good to be back home :p ) and there are some places that i wouldn't walk down during day or night

Well I saw two white people standing in the middle of the road shooting at each other in Bloemfontein. That was kinda uhh "interesting". (Thankfully I was in a car with some friends).

AH85
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
yeah, crime there is crazy, i'm not selling the perfect ad here for south africa, but if you're thinking about moving there, you should consider the crime rate. if it's not bolted down, it will be stolen

DutchieGirl
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
yeah, crime there is crazy, i'm not selling the perfect ad here for south africa, but if you're thinking about moving there, you should consider the crime rate. if it's not bolted down, it will be stolen

:lol: Yes, and don't stop at red lights at nights in the big cities... :help:

V.Melb
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Do yourself a favour, forget South Africa,

Go to Mauritius, the richest country in Africa... low unemployment and low crime rates. The people are nice, they speak English and French.
There is a distinctive Indian culture to the island, mixed with a french/european and tropical touch.
Beaches are beautiful... you dont need to fear for your life on the streets...There is a larger middle class then in most african nations.
Mauritius is really the 'Singapore' of Africa.
They have utilised their contacts in India, France and Great Britain (as well as South Africa) to create a little economic and tourist metropolis in Port Louis.
Go there, you wont be dissapointed.
The people are not African though... they are Malagasy (Creole) Indian, Asian... and the nearly extint Franco-Mauritians.
A mixed culture ---- But no tension like in South Africa ....
There is no violent history compared to South Africa.