PDA

View Full Version : Random vent... my computer crashed with all my notes; finals start next week

practiceboy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
This is a random vent. I bought a MacBook last July and love it very much. I've had no problems with it; like most people at my school, I take my computer to all my classes and take all my notes on my computer. My finals start next week, and I've already studied a good 15-20 hours over the past couple weeks. In fact, I'd already created a 20-page outline for my Public Health Law class and was about halfway done outlining the entire semester. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, my computer wouldn't turn on today. I called Apple and they told me that it's likely a major hardware problem and that I need to send my computer in to be repaired.

They said that they probably won't be able to recover a single thing from my hard drive. ALL my notes (as well as this outline that I've spent so long making) are on it, as well as a ton of my personal files.

They also said that it could take over a week to get my computer back to me. If I don't have it back by the time I take my first final, that means I have to handwrite it, putting me at a major disadvantage. (In-class exams at my school are 3 hours long, and people usually type 20-25 pages during the exam period. If you handwrite, you can't even write half that much)

I'm just so sad. I've worked so hard all semester and I want to do my best on exams, but that just doesn't seem possible at this point

LeRoy.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:42 AM
lesson learnt: Backup all your data regularly :angel:

Did you try "Get Data Back" a software that helps recover data off even damaged hard drives ? You'd need to connect your laptop hard drive to a desktop/laptop as an external hard drive (using a hard drive enclosure)

practiceboy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
I had some things backed up. But without a complete picture of every single course, cross-referenced treatises, journal citations, everything... fragments here and there are worthless. Also, my backups won't do me any good when I'm scrambling to handwrite 10,000 words in 3 hours

No Name Face
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
i have a macbook (my first mac) and i don't feel safe with it. i feel like it could crash at any time...my next laptop will be something different, that's for sure.

i wish you the best of luck with your finals.

cellophane
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:52 AM
What about friends who could lend you notes?

Martie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
:hug: Sorry to hear about your computer crashing, especially near exams. All the best with recovering notes and studying. If you talk to your lecturers/tutors and freinds, they should be able to help you with any missed material. Good luck. :) :hug:

selking
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:58 AM
yeah you know I think there might be problems with these macbooks because I have had problems with mine lately. I always save my shit on the zipdisk just incase. Good luck wit finals, I have them in two weeks

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Good luck

You are gonna need it then..

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Go Warriors..

dementieva's fan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Since you said that most kids in your school take notes on their computer it won't be hard to get one of them to allow you to copy their notes on a cd or a USB drive. Then you could take it home & study on your desktop, on the exam day you could borrow laptop from a friend/family member. If no one gives you their laptop you could ask your teacher most of them will be able to arrange one for you. In the worst case scenario you could maybe rent a laptop from somewhere or even buy a cheap one. Hope it works out for you :hug:

venus_rulez
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
That sucks man and I know how upset you must be, but maybe it's the fates way of telling you you need a break. Arranging a laptop for the final is probably doable; you can borrow from a friend. But now that you have a little extra time, go out and do something fun, you probabaly deserve a break from all that studying.

No Name Face
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
What about friends who could lend you notes?

I think this is the poster who goes to Harvard Law School. I have this feeling they're pretty cutthroat. ;)

G1Player2
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
I have a Mac. NEVER again. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER again. :rolleyes: It's good against viruses though. That's about it.

MistyGrey
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
One of my worst nightmares! :hug:
Dont give up. Contact ur friends, I am sure you'll find a way out. BEST OF LUCK!

wipeout
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
All of a sudden, out of nowhere, my computer wouldn't turn on today. I called Apple and they told me that it's likely a major hardware problem and that I need to send my computer in to be repaired.

They said that they probably won't be able to recover a single thing from my hard drive. ALL my notes (as well as this outline that I've spent so long making) are on it, as well as a ton of my personal files.

They told you WHAT!?! :eek: :confused: :o

If the harddrive blew up, the machine would still turn on but give error messages about the harddrive. But the machine doesn't turn on, therefore something else is wrong and the harddrive should be fine.

Well, unless the machine is designed by complete morons. But we can't assume that. Yet. :angel:

What the hell makes them think the harddrive is screwed? :confused:

A complete failure to do anything sounds like a power fault or perhaps an important chip or other component is damaged or loose.

Like Just_Me suggests, you pull out the harddrive, connect it to a compatible machine and copy the files over.

If you don't know how, find someone who does. I expect you'll find the harddrive functions perfectly. :wavey:

Direwolf
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice one...

since uve been using it alot for the pst couple of wiks...
dunt u think that
it overheated or sumthing...

!<blocparty>!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
This happened to me too. But I lost like 5000 MP3s, loads of pics and a 100-page coursework.

How close are you to an Apple store? The Genius Bar people are usually much better than the helpers over the phone. I sent mine away and they wiped the lot last summer. A few months later at the Genius Bar I told them what happened and they were like - wow, that usually doesn't happen, we always back up data when doing repairs here. :rolleyes:

I hope you manage to sort it out. Major pissoff. :mad:

No Name Face
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
I have a Mac. NEVER again. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER again. :rolleyes: It's good against viruses though. That's about it.

cosign.

Reuchlin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
wow, really interesting because the EXACT same thing happened to me this week-- although the problem is that I don't have exams, just essay, many many essays to write. Luckly, I backup all my data every day so I didnt lose anything, but now I am stuck using the library computers--luckly the library is open 24hours a day!

égalité
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, that happened to me on my Dell that I no longer have. PowerBook :hearts:

Anyway, if your computer's just not turning on, the hard drive is probably fine.

And I write all my notes in notebooks now. Like, not the electronic kind.

Kenny
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Very good luck. I do hope it magically starts again! :)