PDA

View Full Version : what caused former players BJK, Katrina Adams & Zina Garrison to gain so much weight?

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
I really wonder what they did upon retiring!!! :eek::eek:

I love all three of them to death but wow they don't look like former world-class athletes! :o

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Add Kafelnikov to that list by the way. :eek:

Borris
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
I'm sure it has to do with your country's eating habits....

They showed a documentary about meal portions in restaurants in the south on Belgian television last week. It was really hallucinating! Those portions could feed me during a week or so...

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Katrina doesn't look that bad actually.

Zina still has a couple of issues.
She's had eating disorders before in her life and although she looks healthy you can never really tell when a person is over that eating disorder.

BJK just seems to have said fuck it to all society pressures as a women she had to deal with 35 years ago.

Marcell
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Zina Garrison suffered from Bulimia throughout her tennis career. She even tried to committ suicide at one point in her life. That's why she was so upset when the media was critical of Serena's weight. Serena is tough mentally, but not everyone can take the constant criticism of their weight.

Tripp
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:16 AM
Well, that's not that uncommon. When you're a pro athlete you're used to a life of diet and exercise. Once you quit, you start eating like a normal person, and metabolism does its way.

MikeJones
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Women in there 40's tend to gain weight. Its natural

nathie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:20 AM

does anyone have a kafelnikov's pic ? ... thanks :o

Dave.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
They don't need to care about their weight so much anymore. Obviously they can't go OTT, but a bit of extra weight doesn't hurt especially that they don't play anymore.

Volcana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:58 AM
Your metabolism slows as you age. If you eat the same amount, you gain weight. On top of that, if you're an athlete, you burn a lot of calories training and playing. Once you stop training, reducing your caloric intake to maintain weight is extremely difficult.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:04 AM
Pls Excuses.

Look at Steffi, Sabatini, Conchita Martinez, Mary joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver etc they allhaven't let themselves go like Zina has :o

It's about taking care of your body. Eating healthy and exercise is for life, and not just for athletes, or ex-athletes but for everyone.
Your golden years will be much more enjoyable this way.

Ppl still ask my mum if she is the sister to my eldest sister. And she is Almost 30yrs older. She looks fab :worship: that's why. Eat right, workout (good genes help too)

strictennis
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
I really wonder what they did upon retiring!!! :eek::eek:

I love all three of them to death but wow they don't look like former world-class athletes! :o

Ask Tyra! Go to tyrashow.com

:p

darrinbaker00
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
Pls Excuses.

Look at Steffi, Sabatini, Conchita Martinez, Mary joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver etc they allhaven't let themselves go like Zina has :o

It's about taking care of your body. Eating healthy and exercise is for life, and not just for athletes, or ex-athletes but for everyone.
Your golden years will be much more enjoyable this way.

Ppl still ask my mum if she is the sister to my eldest sister. And she is Almost 30yrs older. She looks fab :worship: that's why. Eat right, workout (good genes help too)
As many people in this thread have already stated, Zina Garrison is a recovering bulimic who once attempted suicide. In her case, perhaps "letting herself go" IS the best way for her to take care of her body. That's how I see it, anyway.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
As many people in this thread have already stated, Zina Garrison is a recovering bulimic who once attempted suicide. In her case, perhaps "letting herself go" IS the best way for her to take care of her body. That's how I see it, anyway.

Oh I didn't know that. *recants statement about Zina while feeling like an asshole*

SelesFan70
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Hopefully, it was all the delicious American food we have in the United States! :D

canoe.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM

Pics please.:D :lol:

Jakeev
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
They probably just don't play as much tennis anymore. Look at Jana Novotna. She still plays tennis, yet she looks fitter now than she did when she was actually playing. I saw a recent pic of Sylvia Hanika and she was also looking fitter than I remember her being.

Every individual is obviously different.

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
They don't need to care about their weight so much anymore. Obviously they can't go OTT, but a bit of extra weight doesn't hurt especially that they don't play anymore.

Well, not true. It puts you at risk for diabetes, joint aches, heart disease...

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
I used to be anorexic. Yet I don't let myself get hugely overweight nor do I get to thin. I think people are right about stopping sports altogether being the problem but it seems like they would want to remain active individuals. Many former players are still very very fit. Sabatini, Graf, Evert, Austin, Mary Jo Fernandez. Even Monica Seles looks decent.

No Name Face
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:46 AM
life.
genetics.

ys
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:48 AM
And we haven't seen Monica and Jenn for quite a while..

Martie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Can happen in any sport. There are often extreme pressures during an athletic career, i.e. correct training and diet to stay at the top. When there is no longer need for such stringent control of diet & exercise, well some people can go bananas.

But others place an emphasis on healthy eating, and being active for life.

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Can happen in any sport. There are often extreme pressures during an athletic career, i.e. correct training and diet to stay at the top. When there is no longer need for such stringent control of diet & exercise, well some people can go bananas.

But others place an emphasis on healthy eating, and being active for life.

good, reasonable post

harloo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM
Retired + Good Eating - Training = Weight gain.:D

I bet Kim is going to blow up also being that she want's to sit at home and raise her kids.:D

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:24 AM
Retired + Good Eating - Training = Weight gain.:D

I bet Kim is going to blow up also being that she want's to sit at home and raise her kids.:D

Well Kim actually wants to keep her husband so she'll probably make sure she's in good shape.

darrinbaker00
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Well Kim actually wants to keep her husband so she'll probably make sure she's in good shape.
If she doesn't, she'll lose him to her mother. Els Clijsters is SMOKIN'! :hearts:

Polikarpov
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
They let go.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:01 AM
they arent athletes anymore, and obviously dont care about the weight, they have no pressure to be in shape anymore

Mightymirza
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Hopefully, it was all the delicious American food we have in the United States! :D

U mean burgers,fries and chicken wings? :shrug: Add soda.

akosijepoy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
it can be genetic or just the physical makeup of a person...not being able to do physical activities as often as you used to will definitely slower your metabolism...

partbrit
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
It is, of course, about taking care of yourself to an extent, but women in their 40s and 50s have different hormonal responses. It is not unusual for a woman in hormonal decline to gain quite a bit of weight even if she is eating a healthy body and exercising.

dreamgoddess099
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM
That's how I see it too. She's proven she can take her weight issues to the extreme, I think it's best to just let her be fat and happy. When a suicidal person gets to a happy place where they can live a normal life, it's best to let them stay there.

Zina Garrison suffered from Bulimia throughout her tennis career. She even tried to committ suicide at one point in her life. That's why she was so upset when the media was critical of Serena's weight. Serena is tough mentally, but not everyone can take the constant criticism of their weight.

Zina has a right to be upset and protective of Serena, she above many know just how far obsession and criticism of weight can go and I know she doesn't want to see Serena pushed to the same limits she was pushed too. It's kinda serendipitous that Zina was assigned as Serena's Wta mentor. I'm sure Serena has learned from Zina's experiences, that's why she refuses to lose the huge amount of weight that some seem to think she should lose.

ccrood
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:15 AM
the fact that this is even a thread is very sad....these champions deserve more respect than talking about their weight

sonnys
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Pics please.:D :lol:

http://www.newscom.com/db/GET/gettylive/docs/118/227.thm
:eek: :eek:

sonnys
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
And we haven't seen Monica and Jenn for quite a while..

http://www.monica-seles.com/photos/2007/Laureus.jpg

And that you Cannot say anymore about monica..:drool: ;) Shes so thin...

esquímaux
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Yevgeny looks like a doughboy....:o

ToeTag
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
YK has man boobs up the wazoo.

rjd1111
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Food!

janko
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.monica-seles.com/photos/2007/Laureus.jpg

And that you Cannot say anymore about monica..:drool: ;) Shes so thin...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

never seen this picture before, different hairstyle and make up have completely changed Monica's face!

Amazing picture, I'm optimistic fo Monica to come back now:) :bounce:

Craigy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
:cuckoo:

CanIGetAWhat
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.newscom.com/db/GET/gettylive/docs/118/227.thm
:eek: :eek:OMG. I rememeber when he was so thin and cute.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
the fact that this is even a thread is very sad....these champions deserve more respect than talking about their weight

True. But I'm glad that posters like Darren educated those not in the know about Zina's bulimia and other mental health issues.

About Billie Jean, her knees are shot. She still plays tennis, but perhaps she can't move around as much as she'd like. Also, she could have thyroid issues that could make her gain. Jimmy Connor's wife, Patti, had thyroid cancer (which explains to me some of her weight).

Plus as I found out myself (I former well muscled in shape thin workout aholic now with a destroyed back and knees), once you can't move -- the pounds come on with very LITTLE eating.

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Actually, BJK should be taken off of this list. She's lost the weight and looking much fitter.