PDA

View Full Version : Italy Should Thank Its Lucky Stars They Beat China, Will Be Crushed By Momo,Tati &Co

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Italy just finished thanking their lucky stars that Juju got injured last September and handed the Fed Cup title to them

now luck bails them out again ... lets look at the facts:

first, a huge misunderstanding on the part of the Chinese Tennis Association results in China leaving Na Li (WTA #17), Jie Zheng (WTA #33, #5 Dubs) and Yan Zi (WTA #4 Dubs) at home and sending a 2nd tier team to Italy ... Italy is missing Schiavone (their 2nd best singles player @ WTA #26)

Italy puts the tie on red clay, their best surface and the worst for the Chinese

Rubber #1: Garbin (WTA # 23) d. Sun (WTA #90) in a 3 setter

Rubber #2: Pennetta (WTA #46) d. Peng (WTA #32) saving 3 MP, when Peng is forced to retire due to serious injury ... coincidentally, last time these 2 met in the Wimbledon 2006 3R, Peng had to retire to injury

Rubber #3: Garbin (WTA #23) barely squeaks by Zhang (WTA #212) in a tight 3 setter ... Garbin was down a break in the 3rd set

so Italy wins ... but that is not very impressive for a defending champion against an under-strength team on their worst surface

here is what the result would have been if the CTA had a good translator working for them (so there would have been no understanding)

Rubber #1: Peng d. Garbin 63 63
Rubber #2: Li d. Pennetta 62 64
Rubber #3: Li d. Garbin 60 61
Rubber #4: Zheng d. Santangelo 57 76 63
Rubber #5: Zheng/Yan d. Santangelo/Vinci 62 60

but it is OK, Momo, Tati and France will embarass Italy in front of their home crowd in July ... counting down the days now

Wiggly
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Ok. They beat China.

BTW Pennetta lost 2 straight times to To so she's far form her best level. And without that ITF autumn, Garbin would still be a top 60 player.

Kevinwilly2008
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
.............:sad:

Dave.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
I highly dount Na Li would beat Flavia Pennetta on a clay court for the loss of just 6 games:help:

LudwigDvorak
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm confused. Italy beat China fair and square. (Just so I can see it and comprehend it better I'm going to the type the rubbers for my self-clarification.)

Garbin def. Sun 64 26 63
Garbin def. Zhang 36 62 64
Pennetta def. Peng 06 75 30 ret.
Santangelo def. Sun 64 62
Santangelo/Vinci def. Sun/Sun 62 64

Garbin, Vinci, and Santangelo have all had good years. Pennetta's done well on clay, which I think is what this surface was. Schiavone's had an awful year, so I can see why they'd not pick her. Italian tennis is much more than Schiavone.

Mauresmo, Golovin, Dechy, Razzano, Bremond, they're all good players, and they probably will defeat Italy in the SF, but that doesn't mean Italy didn't deserve to get here.

Corswandt
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Italy just finished thanking their lucky stars that Juju got injured last September and handed the Fed Cup title to them

now luck bails them out again ...

Childish sore losing.

You can do better than this.

Effy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:16 AM
c'mon pierce, just get over it
I like Na Li as well but u should just face this result

ivpasqua88
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
pennetta in 2006 destroyed peng at wimbledon, while the chinese player was faking an injury...anyways, italy also beated france in 2006 while amelie mauresmo was playing! so just stop saying dumb things, get over it, and think about next match.
italy won cause is a great team, and i can tell u that all the italian players didn't play at all their best tennis.

Mark Spruce
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:16 AM
Allez France !!!!!!!

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
fed cup is always imbalanced. i mean.... 4 blowouts in the main group. odd.

MS_FP
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:37 AM
Italy and China were just playing for the right to get destroyed by France...

Pasta-Na
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
sun and shuai got injured :sad:

but glad sun starts playing better on clay and shuai :worship:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:18 AM

first, a huge misunderstanding on the part of the Chinese Tennis Association results in China leaving Na Li (WTA #17), Jie Zheng (WTA #33, #5 Dubs) and Yan Zi (WTA #4 Dubs) at home and sending a 2nd tier team to Italy ... Italy is missing Schiavone (their 2nd best singles player @ WTA #26)

Italy puts the tie on red clay, their best surface and the worst for the Chinese

Rubber #2: Pennetta (WTA #46) d. Peng (WTA #32) saving 3 MP, when Peng is forced to retire due to serious injury ... coincidentally, last time these 2 met in the Wimbledon 2006 3R, Peng had to retire to injury

Rubber #3: Garbin (WTA #23) barely squeaks by Zhang (WTA #212) in a tight 3 setter ... Garbin was down a break in the 3rd set

so Italy wins ... but that is not very impressive for a defending champion against an under-strength team on their worst surface

here is what the result would have been if the CTA had a good translator working for them (so there would have been no understanding)

but it is OK, Momo, Tati and France will embarass Italy in front of their home crowd in July ... counting down the days now

they didnt get lucky they deserved to win.
ok so garbin wasnt that impressive-no news there, she is overranked and IMO wont be playing singles in the semis if schiavone and pennetta are fit.
they aint gonna get whupped by france if they can stay healthy. flavia should be back up to decent form by then as will schiavone.
there's one thing the italians have more than any other nation IMO and thats heart-it shows itself in nerves a lot of the time but they never give up.
the tie is in italy so i imagine they will play on clay, golovin isnt great on clay so they will fancy their chances with her and look at what happened to mauresmo last time they played :tape: plus they have the doubles in the bag whoever they choose to put in
i reckon this semi will be quality assuming everyone is fit

piercerocks
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
i smell a sore loser..
then maybe china should thank its lucky stars that italy was playing like crap

wukenaihe
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:33 AM
pennetta in 2006 destroyed peng at wimbledon, while the chinese player was faking an injury.

:spit:

BTW, did u watch that match:confused:

wukenaihe
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
China had the chance, but they didnt take it.:sad:

It's OK, Na will have a good rest and do some damage on the red clay.:hearts:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:41 AM
stupid thread and stupid the person who opened it

AaronJoyB
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
stupid thread and stupid the person who opened it

he is a sore loser!

rrfnpump
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
awww, Piercey :awww: :)
dont blame Italy that Tian Tian is crap :hug:

yay, Italy :bounce: :banana:
nice to see Mara winning two matches as well

-sugi-
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
So what, Italy played the team they were given and won. End of story. You should really get over it. Other peoples country's Fed Cup teams lost this weekend too you know, and I don't see them being so bitter about it. Sorry Pierce :hug:

AlexBarrington
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM

:lol:

You are probably very sad about this defeat and talk bad about Italy and it is... :help:
THE TRUTH IS: YOU WERE SURE ABOUT CHINA VICTORY, AND ALSO EASILY, BUT DIDN'T HAPPEN, SO...:lol:
Doesn't matter what will happen in France, the importance is that WE WON, WE DEFEAT 5-0 CHINA(too much scared about olympic games, in which no one chinese player will probably win the single main draw!!)
and i want to say one more time thaT LI AND ZHENG ARE NOW A BIT INJURED SO QI ZHANG COULDN'T CALL THEM, SO DON'T TALK ANY MORE OF MISUNDERSTANDINGS

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
pennetta in 2006 destroyed peng at wimbledon, while the chinese player was faking an injury...

Hey hey, stop saying stupid things.

Did you see the match ? I really dont know how Peng played that match after that injury. She couldnt move, couldnt serve. The injury was really bad.

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
LI AND ZHENG ARE NOW A BIT INJURED SO QI ZHANG COULDN'T CALL THEM, SO DON'T TALK ANY MORE OF MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Zheng is not injured ... she jus won Charleston doubles title
Li is only slightly injured ... Fed Cup means alot to her so I am sure she would have played this tie if there was no misunderstanding

Pennetta was lucky to save 3MP and then Shuai got serious injury ... and full strength CHN team would have won this tie easily :wavey:

pierce0415
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
So what, Italy played the team they were given and won. End of story. You should really get over it. Other peoples country's Fed Cup teams lost this weekend too you know, and I don't see them being so bitter about it. Sorry Pierce :hug:

did Japan lose due to a language misunderstanding and not being able to send its best players :confused: different situation

ce
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
i agree with pierce all the way,i really hope that France will destroy Italy 5 0

Hashim.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
they surely are gonna lose to France..

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
first, a huge misunderstanding on the part of the Chinese Tennis Association results in China leaving Na Li (WTA #17), Jie Zheng (WTA #33, #5 Dubs) and Yan Zi (WTA #4 Dubs) at home and sending a 2nd tier team to Italy ... Italy is missing Schiavone (their 2nd best singles player @ WTA #26)...

You know, since Fed Cup comittees are operated by the national tennis associations, it isn't really luck that China messed up. It's just incompetence. Italy was better equipped to play this tie because they have a better tennis federation. Maybe in the future, the CTA will realize they don't have the qualification to manage the careers of all their players and actually let them blossom on tour, rather than cutting short their seasons for an event that really doesn't matter for the sport.

AlexBarrington
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Li is only slightly injured ... Fed Cup means alot to her so I am sure she would have played this tie if there was no misunderstanding

Pennetta was lucky to save 3MP and then Shuai got serious injury ... and full strength CHN team would have won this tie easily :wavey:

so u say Qi Zhang is wrong because he clearly said li and zhend couldn't play!:lol:

pennetta was not lucky, shuai seemed tired after 1 set and flavia destroyed her. In the third set, the first 2 games shuai was good but flavia was on fire and kept on destroying her.
On clay chinese players are :help: and surely the best one was Zhang(for me, will be soon better than Peng!)

Italy will lose to France? MMh probably, but ITALY IS IN SEMIFINAL WHILE CHINA :wavey:

Pierce is not sportive and good this thread ;)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Someone is bitter, eh?

Effy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
FACE IT!!! GET OVER IT! CHINA LOST 0-5 :p

Pennetta was lucky to save 3MP
oh really? she is a fighter she came back after serious injury and its unfair to talk like that

ivpasqua88
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
yes i saw the match and i am not saying stupid things. flavia was playing great, and after beating shuai peng she lost only 7-6 3-6 6-3 to maria sharapova. anyways flavia also sais that she didn't trust the chinese player when she seemed to be injured, cause she kept playing making lots of winners, but she lost anyways 6-2 6-3.

Ellery
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
China lost. Get over it :wavey:

Craigy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
You really are pathetic Pierce.
How about giving other players credit for once?

GABRIEL
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
:rolleyes: pointless thread...Italy won last year Fed Cup because she desrved it...I remind you that the italians BEAT France in their own country in QF, and I have no doubt they can win again this year. The person that opened this thread obviously does not know much about tennis and Federation Cup...in these events rankings are not so important, it is the heart and the will to win that matter, and italians have always shown that they give thir best when playing for their country :wavey:

stefi62
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Why behaving like a child? Italy won, China lost, that's all! :rolleyes:

Tathy Garbin played strong against a very good Sun TianTian! A three setter that could have gone one way or another... Tathy was stronger physically maybe, and could change effects more wisely than Sun.

Flavia had to face three match balls, and then woke up, played extremely well, strong and fought like a lion! She was leading when Peng had to retire, but anyway the match was hers, I can assure you!

Garbin-Zhang: A very good Zhang! I did not know her, and she's already a good player. She played the lines, kept the ball in, hit the ball strong.... but Tathy is more mature and physically fit, that's what made the difference IMO.
And then the other matches: a very motivated Mara, and a Roby at home went on for the 5-0.
A 5-0, but close teams. Maybe more team spirit for the Italians, Shuai Peng making Sudoku while Zhang was playing, and the coach had no look to his player Peng when she hurt herself. Did not even call the doctor or anybody else.... Weird.
And it seems the "mistake" is more a contestation from Na Li and Jie Zheng, who do not want half of their earnings to be given to the government....
And maybe Peng could have arrived before Friday, she would have not be hurt!

So to sum up my thoughts, Italy played professionnally and in team, while China seems more preoccupied by other problems! Too bad, they had their chance, the team was good, but did not seem focused enough!

FORZA ITALIA!:worship:

Viktymise
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Didn't Italy beat France last year having Mauresmo in their team :spit:

orfeus
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
c'mon Pierce, you're being mean and classless...on the other hand I don't think they stand a chance against France - provided Amelie and Tati are ok of course...

schorsch
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Childish sore losing.

yap.

whateva' china had the good players, but left their brains at home thus their players, too. they lost. italy won. thats it.

XaDavK_Kapri
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
:haha: God you're pathetic. I like most of the players you like, but it's gotten to the point where I nearly like seeing them lose just to read your frustrated threads and have a good laugh. :lol:

selyoink
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Bitter much

Modiac.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
pennetta in 2006 destroyed peng at wimbledon, while the chinese player was faking an injury...

Oh,come on! Peng's injury was not FAKE then.:o
I was watching this match on TV and knew Flavia played very smart(making Shuai came to net often) and won that match.
Anyway,I think Italy deserves this win because China Tennis Association did ridiculous moves on player choosing.

andrewC
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
considering it's on red clay i'm glad TianTian took Garbin to 3 sets, on hardcourt or grass (wimbledon 04) she would have won :angel:
Zhang did well for 3 sets considering she's in such poor form in ITFs!
Sad about Peng and Double Sun losing though, they should have won those. Never mind, China will have many more chances :D :banana:

Dexter
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Here's for a successful defense of their FedCup title. Forza! :)

Lulu.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
China lost. Get over it :wavey:

Exactly. :lol:

switz
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Childish sore losing.

:lol: that's a good one

SvetaPleaseWin.
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:20 AM

WTF is with this "misunderstanding" shit-the chinese stupidly want zhang and sun to qualify for the olympics rather than to do well in fed cup-that aint a misunderstanding, thats just bloody stupid!
flavia was not lucky to save 3MPs-she saved them cos she fights till the end, something the chinese dont do. i like the chinese players, dont get me wrong, but they dont have the spirit of the italians IMO
a full strength chinese team versus a full strength italian team on clay-i would say 3-2 to italy with zheng and yan fuckin' it up in the dubs. i think you are forgetting that italy also wasnt at its peak-no schiavone and flavia on poor form-and they still won 5-0
face it-italy deserved to win

you dont see me making countless excuses for the british teams loss to poland-poland were better. i do think sears selections were stupid vs luxembourg but thats a different matter...

have some class and give the italians their due!!!

Dan23
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Pierce0415 isnt bitter

fammmmedspin
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Don't know why anyone would expect France to beat Italy. It depends on who turns up, whether Momo finds any form, whether Francesca is fit and remembers how to beat Momo and who is in the supporting role. The French team without Pierce is historically hardly the best at living up to its potential.

The 2006 Fed Cup win has to be understood from the strategic view point. Belgium has a top player who is one of those who plays outside her literal physical ability and suffers injuries/illness because of it. Wearing her out so she can't last through the final is just as good a way of winning as any. Its won by Francesca keeping on fighting and running and keeping her out there long enough for the laws of physics to play their part.

mm1147
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:40 AM
just wait for olympics in beijing next year maybe they will win a gold

DarkchildSwiss
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Ame and Tati will destroy Italy.

stefi62
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Why don't we just wait and see? :rolleyes:

AlexBarrington
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM

doesn't matter, also 1 year ago they could destroy italy, but... but what happened? :lol: ;)

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM
But Italy beat France last year with Mauresmo playing :angel:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
yes surely France will destroy Italy :rolleyes:
can't wait for the 2nd final in a row :drool: