PDA

View Full Version : Seriously ... THIS is the serving Venus needs

tennisIlove09
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
In 8 games played, (4 service games) she has 19 of 20 first serves in play, winning 15 of those 19 points.

She needs that. She would not have lost to Sharapova or Jankovic with serving like that.

RJWCapriati
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
She has the patches of great play and poor play - she just needs to work on the consistency and keep up her level.

Viktymise
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Wickmayer has some game :eek: she hits the ball pretty hard and is swinging freely, Vee is too good right now though ;)

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
In 8 games played, (4 service games) she has 19 of 20 first serves in play, winning 15 of those 19 points.

She needs that. She would not have lost to Sharapova or Jankovic with serving like that.

Sharapova and Jankovic are in another league than this competition. points percentage won is really irrelevant. When you play a big returner, it makes the difference. Venus also isn't the most consistent either. She could easily follow that set up with 40% serving, 5 double faults and a 55% conversion rate on first serves.

RJWCapriati
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Sharapova and Jankovic are in another league than this competition. points percentage won is really irrelevant. When you play a big returner, it makes the difference. Venus also isn't the most consistent either. She could easily follow that set up with 40% serving, 5 double faults and a 55% conversion rate on first serves.

Agreed - its more mental with her.

TSequoia01
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Agreed - its more mental with her.

Agreed, a relaxed Venus usually serves very well, under pressure though is another story.

Paneru
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
1st serve 78%
pts. won 82%
2nd serve 73%
pts. won 38%

0 Ace's
3 DF's

soomaal
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
After this fedcup with zina expect only top form consitent serving from Venus....*hoping/praying/dreaming/praying a bit more/and a little more praying....*

Paneru
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
After this fedcup with zina expect only top form consitent serving from Venus....*hoping/praying/dreaming/praying a bit more/and a little more praying....*

She'll still have some df's
but, it'll be much better.

Watch. :cool:

soomaal
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
She'll still have some df's
but, it'll be much better.

Watch. :cool:

Ohh I didn't see the double faults, but still I think Vee having so much fun out there and working with Zina is bound to have some positive effect. I just hope it's very soon that she returns to her top form, but as Venus said - patience. So I guess I'll just have to be patient:angel: :angel:

tennisIlove09
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:55 PM

Venus needs to be more consistent. Exactly. Had she served like this against either Sharapova or Jankovic, she probably would have won. Her losses this year, she's had bad serving days.

friendsita
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
:worship: she's improving it little by little... at least she's no making too much df. :worship:

MisterMan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
It's easy to be confident with your serve when you're playing what is basically an unknown club level player.

FLL
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
It's easy to be confident with your serve when you're playing what is basically an unknown club level player.

What I think also... She had no pressure in that match. Against any top players, it's a lot tougher to serve great...

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:19 AM
can't say there really is no pressure....pressure was there in the form that she had to win and win convincingly against these relative unknowns....that's still pressure.....she couldn't lose....imagine if she had even lost a set?? the uproar....just because it's not a big player doesn't mean there isn't pressure

darrinbaker00
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
can't say there really is no pressure....pressure was there in the form that she had to win and win convincingly against these relative unknowns....that's still pressure.....she couldn't lose....imagine if she had even lost a set?? the uproar....just because it's not a big player doesn't mean there isn't pressure
You're joking, right? This was a dead rubber against a 17-year-old kid ranked #422. Venus will never, repeat, NEVER have less pressure on her in a tennis match as long as she lives.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
again....that also equates pressure....not GS type pressure but even losing more than a handful of games is the expectation and with expectations comes pressure....think of all the matches that haven't meant anything but because people lost them people were on their backs....if Venus had lost this rubber...dead or not....and played poorly there would have been negative statements made....because there is expectation....

MisterMan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Come on, she had NO pressure on her.
It's like you playing a two year old.

V should not have lost three games, though, unless she was just experimenting with strokes, grips, etc...

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
see even you say Venus shouldn't have lost 3 games...let's see you go play fed cup against someone EVERYONE says you should beat in no more than an hour and then tell me that there isn't some amount of pressure...AGAIN....just because it's not a GS or a regular tournie doesn't equate no pressure....

darrinbaker00
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
see even you say Venus shouldn't have lost 3 games...let's see you go play fed cup against someone EVERYONE says you should beat in no more than an hour and then tell me that there isn't some amount of pressure...AGAIN....just because it's not a GS or a regular tournie doesn't equate no pressure....
You're not joking..... :eek:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
no I'm not....I don't think you can say NO pressure.....damn because she is Venus Williams she had pressure....I'm done :D

FLL
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:25 AM
no I'm not....I don't think you can say NO pressure.....damn because she is Venus Williams she had pressure....I'm done :D

You are done... and you are wrong!

Venus is a professional and multiple GS champ so that match, I'm sorry didn't cause her to be just a little bit nervous or tense. That's why she played so well... I'm not saying she can't do it against top players but it's 100% tougher to do it because you know that if you don't, you won't win...

bandabou
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
no pressure whatsoever...come on, the tie wasn't even in play..otherwise this girl wouldn't even be playing against Venus.

HippityHop
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Venus used to be one of the most mentally tough, if not the most mentally tough player on the tour. I hope she can get that ice water in the veins back.

vwfan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I give speeches all the time. But rather I am talking to a group of 50 or 500, I am always a little nervous, even though: I've done it a million times before, I really enjoy it, and know what works and doesn't work in almost every situation. I also expect to get the laugh or draw the audience in with specific antedotes and stories or have lots of people ask questions.

I start every speech with the weight of expectation I have for myself and the expectation from the audience, who are expecting that I have something to say that is worth their time listening to.

No matter what the scenario, every professional (particularly those with high standards for themselves) always expects that each time they display their skill they do it in a way that affirms their place in their profession. Every professional, I think, has that pressure no matter what the conditions.

Still, my sense on this board (and probably in the world of those that follow tennis regularly) is that if Venus isn't serving 90% consistently, hitting 10 aces per match, winning every match convincingly and quickly, she has underperformed no matter who is on the other side of the match. The sista can't catch a break, no matter what.

So, because it doesn't hurt to say without any caveats, I'll join at least some of the chorus of this thread and say: Congrats Venus. Good match! :lol:

Direwolf
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
guys...
are we forgetting that this is clay...
she goes for the power shots on her serve..
seldom goes for the slice...

i mean...
i expect better things to come for her on hard surfaces...
but good things would come on clay...

like she always say.. patience...
summers just a month away...

williams123
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
You're joking, right? This was a dead rubber against a 17-year-old kid ranked #422. Venus will never, repeat, NEVER have less pressure on her in a tennis match as long as she lives.

i'll give you that. but you and anti venus fan's better hope and pray her game dont start to dial in, because i think your fav's will start to lose often.., even serena. so just talk about her like yall do and just wait and see.:worship: