PDA

View Full Version : 2008: 20 years after Steffi's Golden Grand Slam

John.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Are any of today's players capable of achieving the same?

Discuss

paranr
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:21 PM

Discuss

no, none are capable, the field is just too deep.

Serena had her chances in 2003 to complete a golden slam and maybe even a - 7 grand-slam winning streak, but that Henin inciedent at the french :mad:

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM

Discuss
Nope. Not even close. Players like Steffi don't come around often in the history of the tennis. I would include Navratilova, Court, Evert and Helen Wills-Moody and Maureen Connolly-Brinker in that group (a few others too).

AlwaysAmelie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM

Serena had her chances in 2003 to complete a golden slam and maybe even a - 7 grand-slam winning streak, but that Henin inciedent at the french :mad:

NO. Steffi is unique, there will never be a better player :worship:

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Nope. Not even close. Players like Steffi don't come around often in the history of the tennis. I would include Navratilova, Court, Evert and Helen Wills-Moody and Maureen Connolly-Brinker in that group (a few others too).

So players like that don't come around very often, yet you included players who dominated in the 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's and 30's.

So basically someone capable of doing that come around every ten years, we are due one now then:lol:

I would also include Suzanne Lenglen in that group....

brent-o
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
I think if Henin or Serena really put their mind to it, they could do it.

Orion
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Henin and Serena are capable of doing it, but they won't.

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM

Venus also is capable of it, but she's too inconsistent and injury prone. Serena and Henin also could, but won't as they would get injured at some point. Both also very injury prone. I think player today are too injury prone period to match some of the achievements of the 80's, i.e. so many Grand Slams in a row, finals in a row, winning streaks etc.

Max565
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Graf was the best player of all time... Serena might do it but not sure yet... but she also has to win the Olympic Gold to achieve a 'golden' slam... so we'll have to wait till next year ! :)

purplerain
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM

There was no Olympics in 2003, How could serena complete a *GOLDEN* slam that year?

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
There was no Olympics in 2003, How could serena complete a *GOLDEN* slam that year?

Serena has never played the Olympics, hopefully she will next year though and achieve the Career Golden Slam :cool:

Direwolf
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
hopefully
Venus..
next year...

Prep_boii
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
None. the competition now is too deep and the game too physical...

but if anybody could do it, Serena would be the one.....

But even then, she gets injured at least once a year, if not more...so no.

mm1147
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
if monica won wimbledon in 92 another great achivement

CanIGetAWhat
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM

DiscussNone of the women can, but Roger will duplicate this feat next year.

A Magicman
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM

Discuss

Thank you for reminding me that I'm old. Darn, it's 20 years now. I was so nervous when she played the US Open final against Gaby Sabatini and I stayed up late to watch it live.

Orion
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Venus also is capable of it, but she's too inconsistent and injury prone.

I actually don't think she's capable of it. I have a very hard time finding her capable of beating multiple quality clay court players back-to-back-to-back. Injury prone is a viable excuse in the "capable but it won't happen" category, but not inconsistency. If you are too inconsistent, you are not capable. Otherwise, you could say that Kuznetsova is capable of it, or Hingis, or anyone, because hey, they've inevitably played one perfect game/set/match in their career, and so they COULD do it. Consistency is part of what makes you a player, and until Venus shows some, she isn't a Golden Slam winning player.

Actually it's worth pointing out that the only players that have reached the semifinals or better at each slam more than once are Serena, Henin, Hingis, and Clijsters. And while I rank Venus' chances of winning A slam better than Hingis and Clijsters, Justine and Serena are clearly more capable on each surface.

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I actually don't think she's capable of it. I have a very hard time finding her capable of beating multiple quality clay court players back-to-back-to-back. Injury prone is a viable excuse in the "capable but it won't happen" category, but not inconsistency. If you are too inconsistent, you are not capable. Otherwise, you could say that Kuznetsova is capable of it, or Hingis, or anyone, because hey, they've inevitably played one perfect game/set/match in their career, and so they COULD do it. Consistency is part of what makes you a player, and until Venus shows some, she isn't a Golden Slam winning player.

Actually it's worth pointing out that the only players that have reached the semifinals or better at each slam more than once are Serena, Henin, Hingis, and Clijsters. And while I rank Venus' chances of winning A slam better than Hingis and Clijsters, Justine and Serena are clearly more capable on each surface.
Yes that's a fair point.

I still think she COULD do it though, she has the capacity within her.

But the odds are definitely against her due to her inconsistent play at the French. She's only got past the quarter finals once.

Still you never know ;)

Henin is more likely to due her more consistent all surface play, but I don't see anyone doing it next year tbh.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Henin and Serena could if they could remain healthy. Maria has quite a bit improving to do on clay before she can be considered ;) :bounce:

calico_101
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Henin proved last year it can be done by reaching all 4 finals. However, beyond the strength and talent needed to complete a grand slam is the mental toll that the contender must bear. Remember how the pressure was piled on Capriati after she won the french in '01 such that she admitted feeling relief after losing to Henin at Wimbledon. If a player completes 2 legs every match thereafter must feel like do-or-die tennis. That's why I can't see it happening & why Steffi was one of the few that did it - she was mentally strong enough.

Mightymirza
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
None of the women can, but Roger will duplicate this feat next year.

Let him win a match against rafa on clay first :tape: :o :silly: :bigcry:

schorsch
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
masha will ;-) hehe

Dave.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Wow, it's already been 20 years! When I first got into tennis, it was only about 10 years:eek: I can't believe how the 1990's feel like yesterday!

The funny thing about Steffi was she was never the most talented player or even the most intense on court. She just knuckled down and won, simple as. She had mental strength, the ability to play well on big points, super consistency and a huge forehand:drool: I sometimes find her game boring, but it is so fascinating to watch aswell sometimes. I would have loved for Gaby to win more Slams at that time, aswell as Monica:sad:

If someone were to win it now, it would probably be Justine due to her utter commitment and drive, aswell as her ability to win on all surfaces.

technique90
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
Serena has never played the Olympics, hopefully she will next year though and achieve the Career Golden Slam :cool:

umm yes she did... in sydney she got a gold medal in doubles with venus..

i thought that as "serena's #1 fan" like it says in your name, you would have known that ;)

grogom31
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Graf was the best player of all time... Serena might do it but not sure yet... but she also has to win the Olympic Gold to achieve a 'golden' slam... so we'll have to wait till next year ! :)

i am not sure about Graf the best player of all time.Serena has proven at her best level she 's unplayable.i don't think there is no better than what we are witnessing now.

friendsita
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
I think that there are players that can win the 4 slams and the olympics like Rena, Vee & Juju but in the same year like Stefi, I think that just Rena could do it because she's really good at all surfaces.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:16 AM
umm yes she did... in sydney she got a gold medal in doubles with venus..

i thought that as "serena's #1 fan" like it says in your name, you would have known that ;)

Serena never played singles at Olympics.

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:49 AM
Didn't steffi go on to win the next 3 Slams nearly winning two Grand Slams in a row?

Polikarpov
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:31 AM

I'm sure one of them can if they could swap eras with Steffi.

LoveFifteen
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Didn't steffi go on to win the next 3 Slams nearly winning two Grand Slams in a row?

No, she lost in the final of the 1989 French Open. She did win every other Slam that year. There were four years when she won 3 of the 4 slams.

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
No, she lost in the final of the 1989 French Open. She did win every other Slam that year. There were four years when she won 3 of the 4 slams.

Wow :eek:

treufreund
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Funny how many posters want to downplay Graf's accomplishments

LoveFifteen
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:27 AM
Funny how many posters want to downplay Graf's accomplishments

Monica has a lot of free time so she's opened like 10 sock puppet accounts! :o

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:28 AM
Venus also is capable of it, but she's too inconsistent and injury prone. Serena and Henin also could, but won't as they would get injured at some point. Both also very injury prone. I think player today are too injury prone period to match some of the achievements of the 80's, i.e. so many Grand Slams in a row, finals in a row, winning streaks etc.
Venus? :lol:

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
Wow, it's already been 20 years! When I first got into tennis, it was only about 10 years:eek: I can't believe how the 1990's feel like yesterday!

The funny thing about Steffi was she was never the most talented player or even the most intense on court. She just knuckled down and won, simple as. She had mental strength, the ability to play well on big points, super consistency and a huge forehand:drool: I sometimes find her game boring, but it is so fascinating to watch aswell sometimes. I would have loved for Gaby to win more Slams at that time, aswell as Monica:sad:

If someone were to win it now, it would probably be Justine due to her utter commitment and drive, aswell as her ability to win on all surfaces.
The boring one is the one in your avatar.. period.

And i dont agree. Steffi was very intense on the court and very emotional at times, pumping herself up, and a perfectionist of the game. She hated to miss any ball no matter what the score was.

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
Serena did win 4 GS in a row, never the grand slam, but its fair to say that currently she is the closer one to achieving it.
Henin is a close second, she has not won Wimbledon yet, but last year´s effort in reaching all 4 grand slam finals show how versatyle and capable she is.
And to Venus, yet again deluded fans will say she can but she won. Sorry guys, she´ll be lucky to hold 2 grand slams in a single season in the up coming years, and she won´t have a Roland Garros title in her resume. Whatever reasons and excuses are... bad serving, unforced errors or injuries.

sonnys
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
:weirdo: :bolt:

matthias
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Golden slam in 2003?

did i missed the 2003 Olympics? :confused::rolleyes::lol::tape:

lecciones
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
In the last 10 years it was Hingis who had been the closest at it since in 1997 she was in the final of all four slams and won three, I don't know why she didn't try the olympics that year (if there was).

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Serena never played singles at Olympics.

Exactly :)

Which is all that is relevant to discussions about the Golden Grand Slam :)

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Serena did win 4 GS in a row, never the grand slam, but its fair to say that currently she is the closer one to achieving it.
Henin is a close second, she has not won Wimbledon yet, but last year´s effort in reaching all 4 grand slam finals show how versatyle and capable she is.
And to Venus, yet again deluded fans will say she can but she won. Sorry guys, she´ll be lucky to hold 2 grand slams in a single season in the up coming years, and she won´t have a Roland Garros title in her resume. Whatever reasons and excuses are... bad serving, unforced errors or injuries.

Well Im glad you can predict the future.

And of course Serena has done the non-calendar slam. But I meant she's bound to get injured at some point next year in 2008, Im hopeing she will try to keep her injuries down this year and do the slam in 2007 saving the olympics for 2008 :p

TennisGuy21
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Well I would definatly have to assume it was a possibility sense Serena Williams is the only person on tour, Men or Women's tour; who has won every grand slam. So really she is in a record book all by herself right now, no Roger Federer, just her. and sense she already has 1 gold medal, and her sister has the one she wants, I think its entirely possible. Venus's company designed the village now, and Serena is getting ready. I feel like this year may just be warm up for her so she can do exactly that the year the olympics comes around. The thing with serena, is when she gets an idea in her head, its hard for anyone, on the womens tour, to stop her. =)

hwanmig
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Steffi won 22 grandslam in a span of 12 years, I don't think anyone in the tour is capable of doing that.
Let's see 22 Steffi GS - (8 Serena GS + 5 Henin GS) = 9 Steffi GS.

Polikarpov
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
In the last 10 years it was Hingis who had been the closest at it since in 1997 she was in the final of all four slams and won three, I don't know why she didn't try the olympics that year (if there was).

There was no Olympic Games in 1997; there was in 1996. She lost to Sugiyama in the Round of 32.

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Well Im glad you can predict the future.

And of course Serena has done the non-calendar slam. But I meant she's bound to get injured at some point next year in 2008, Im hopeing she will try to keep her injuries down this year and do the slam in 2007 saving the olympics for 2008 :p
I can´t predict the future, i just believe that Venus can´t win a slam in the surface that demands her to hit the most balls at, than on any other surface. Something that Venus does not like to do, because unforced errors will follow.
Venus is yet to win 2 of the 4 grand slams, right now to say she is "capable of doing it" is just plain ridiculous. She is yet to complete her grand slam resume, let alone expect win all 4 and the Olympics in the same year is just :rolleyes:

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM

7 grand slam winning streak? How? She just won 4 in a row and Henin took her at the French Open, then won Wimbledon, that was 5 out of 6 and then she got injured. And won nothing until after playing 4 more grand slams.
Probably she would have if the injury had not appeared, probably she would have injured earlier and preventing her from winning Wimbledon 2003 if she had played the French Open final in 2003, who knows.

tennisIlove09
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
There are women that CAN do it.
Venus, Serena and Justine. However, none of them WILL do it because
1 - they would have to beat each other, and I think they are all too close (when playing 100%) to 1 to really dominate

2 - they are all injury prone

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
I can´t predict the future, i just believe that Venus can´t win a slam in the surface that demands her to hit the most balls at, than on any other surface. Something that Venus does not like to do, because unforced errors will follow.
Venus is yet to win 2 of the 4 grand slams, right now to say she is "capable of doing it" is just plain ridiculous. She is yet to complete her grand slam resume, let alone expect win all 4 and the Olympics in the same year is just :rolleyes:

So you're calling my opinion ridiculous...classy :rolleyes:

Anyway, I said she has the capacity, the potential, not that it's likely or that she will. Sure she might fall apart at the French; she might also produce the run of her life like ASV did in 1989 to defeat Steffi Graf, we don't know one way or the other really.

We don't know if she will complete the career slam either; she's only just returning from injury and getting herself back together. Anyone who has gotten to the final of the Australian and French without dropping a set, at least has a chance to win them at some point.

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
There are women that CAN do it.
Venus, Serena and Justine. However, none of them WILL do it because
1 - they would have to beat each other, and I think they are all too close (when playing 100%) to 1 to really dominate

2 - they are all injury prone
It´s been almost 4 years since these three players played against one another in a grand slam, don´t tell me know that beating each other has been the reason why they have not won the grand slam.

Graf in her Golden Slam year in 1988 had Evert, Navratilova and Sabatini as main contenders. Not too bad considering that Navratilova had a great 1987 winning 2 grand slams.

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
So you're calling my opinion ridiculous...classy :rolleyes:

Anyway, I said she has the capacity, the potential, not that it's likely or that she will. Sure she might fall apart at the French; she might also produce the run of her life like ASV did in 1989 to defeat Steffi Graf, we don't know one way or the other really.

We don't know if she will complete the career slam either; she's only just returning from injury and getting herself back together. Anyone who has gotten to the final of the Australian and French without dropping a set, at least has a chance to win them at some point.
"Capable", can Venus win the Australian Open? right now she has not.
Can Venus win Roland Garros? right now she has not..
And Venus has played 8 Australian Opens and 10 Roland Garros, i know her fans will find 18 great excuses for her lack of sucess in those events :)..

That being said just consider the idea of making her winning those two events and the other two grand slams in the same year.. pretty much since we know that since 2001 Venus has just won 1 GS, and since mid 2003 she has reached just 1 GS Final. Yeah the whole idea right now is ridiculous.

Evenmore like it or not, but its a fact that players like Seles, Hingis and Henin have been way closer to the Grand Slam sucess than Queen Vee, even when we know that most Venus Fans consider, and say everywhere that Venus´s game is better than those three. :rolleyes:

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
"Capable", can Venus win the Australian Open? right now she has not.
Can Venus win Roland Garros? right now she has not..
And Venus has played 8 Australian Opens and 10 Roland Garros, i know her fans will find 18 great excuses for her lack of sucess in those events :)..

That being said just consider the idea of making her winning those two events and the other two grand slams in the same year.. pretty much since we know that since 2001 Venus has just won 1 GS, and since mid 2003 she has reached just 1 GS Final. Yeah the whole idea right now is ridiculous.

If you look up the meaning of capable in the dictionary, you might see how pointless and stupid your last post was.

By the way, I don't need to make up great excuses, I accept that Venus has wasted her chances/was not good enough. Much as no doubt you'd like me to make up excuses so you can have a whinge about that as well :rolleyes:

Kart
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
20 years after Steffi's golden grand slam there is no one around that shows any signs of matching her accomplishments.

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
If you look up the meaning of capable in the dictionary, you might see how pointless and stupid your last post was.

By the way, I don't need to make up great excuses, I accept that Venus has wasted her chances/was not good enough. Much as no doubt you'd like me to make up excuses so you can have a whinge about that as well :rolleyes:
Explanation of Capable:
"Having the ability required for a specific task or accomplishment; qualified: capable of winning."

I may ask again.. Has Venus shown that she is "Capable" of winning Roland Garros?
Has Venus shown that she is "Capable" of winning the Australian Open?
Has Venus shown that she is "Capable" of winning all grand slams in the same year?

First two answers are NO. She has never won those tournaments and has only reached the finals 1 on each event, that in 18 attempts.

Third answer is another NO, yet again Queen Vee has never managed to reach all 4 grand slam finals in a single season, the most finals she reached one year have been 3 and those came in 2002, lost all 3.

If you think she can because she is your favorite, ok well then yeah everybody can support their faves in the way they want, but to say that Venus has shown that she is well capable of achieving the Grand Slam (or Golden Slam) are simply delusional thoughts not based on facts.

MistyGrey
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
20 years after Steffi's golden grand slam there is no one around that shows any signs of matching her accomplishments.

:worship:

MistyGrey
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
I think only Serena and Justine are capable. I dont think Venus is capable of winning all four majors in one year. She might end up completing a career slam, but a calender slam is out of question.

A lot of people wont like what I am going to say, but Is Serena really a good player on clay? I mean, yes she has won the French open, but other than that she has only one other title and one other final, that too during the year when she was playing her best Tennis. Other than 2002, Serena has been strictly OK on clay. I understand that she might go on to win Berlin,Rome and Paris this year, but as of right now, her clay court resume is Myskina-esque, well OK ,better than Myskina, but you get the point. And not taking anything away from Serena's FO victory, she didnt really play a great clay courter. She had to beat an out of form Mary Pierce in the QF and Venus Williams on clay. Her only strong opponent was Capriati, but the 02 RG was almost the start of the end of JCap's peak.

GogoGirl
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hey All,

I just loved Steffi when she was queen. I also admired Monica.

I see where the 1999 FO final between Steffi and Martina will be on TTC at 7:00 EST tonight. I plan on watching it. I saw the Chrissy/Martina 1986 final last week. I think it was 1986.

ASV_FAN
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
I think the sad reality is that nowadays it is incredibly unlikely anyone would be able to remain injury free for an entire season in order to win the grand slam.

thrust
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
A healthy Serena could. Justine, perhaps, but I can^t see any other players accomplishing such a feat.

John.
Oct 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Given Henin's form recently, is this a possibility next year?

shap_half
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Here's to hoping it's Justine