PDA

View Full Version : Country with Great Female & Male Player of All Time?

guyinsf
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
What do you guys think?

Australia - Court and Laver
Zcech - Navratilova and Lendl
US - Evert and Sampras
Germany - Graf and Becker
Switzerland - Hingis and Federer

Add any other pair I might have missed.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
What do you guys think?

US - Evert and Sampras

Add any other pair I might have missed.
Holland - Stove and Ocker
France - Lenglen and Cochet
Argentina - Sabatini and Vilas
Belgium - Henin and Rochus

Nihil
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Rochus? he's good, but great? nah

Spain: Arantxa Sánchez Vicario and Rafael Nadal

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
The U.S has produced loads

Serena, Venus, Evert, Billie Jean on the women's side and Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe and Connors on the men's.

Andy T
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Britain: Fred Perry & Mrs Lambert Chambers

HenryMag.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Recently, Swizerland is the best country.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM

Serena, Venus, Evert, Billie Jean on the women's side and Sampras, Agassi, McEnroe and Connors on the men's.

Not forgetting Arthur Ashe, Tony Trabert - both of whom won 3 slams. Ashe won the US Open as an ameteur and a professional in 1968 when Tennis went open and won Wimbledon plus French Open doubles and Australian Open, Tony Trabert won 3 French Opens and the US Open in the 1950s. They were also both successful Davis Cup captains. Plus Donald Budge who won the "Grand Slam" in 1938. Also Jack Kramer who pioneered the big game (serve and volley) and he won Wimbledon a couple of times. Then there's Bill Tilden who won 10 slams including 5 US Opens. And Pancho Gonzalez, who many consider would have been greatest had he not turned professional - He had the greatest serve and I understand beat Laver a lot in the professonal ranks. Even the hustler Bobby Riggs won a few slams. And of course Stan Smith who also won a few slams including Wimbledon in the 1970s. Jim Couier won 4 slams and played in a Wimbledon final. in the 1990s.

On the womens side, Althea Gibson, Maureen connely were all very successful in the 1950s and won multiple slams. Then there's Lindsay Davenport and Tracy Austin.

With this barrage of talent and success, the other countries can't match - only the Aussies come close.

But, 30 years from now the Russians might well be up there too.

Conor
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Would probably have to be US... theres so many. But recently, Switzerland.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM

Krajicek. ;) Okker has more title and reach place 3. Krajicek reached place 4, but is the only one who ever won a slam. His results are also far better at the slams :p

Demska
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Germany :bowdown:

But now, Switzerland.

SV_Fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
What was that conutry Monica was born in? I think it was Serbia so Serbia.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
What was that conutry Monica was born in? I think it was Serbia so Serbia.

Monica is a tough call. She represented Yugoslavia initially but lived in America since she was 13. With the break up of Yugoslavia she went on to become an American citizen and represent United States in Fed Cup. In her autobiography she says she feels American. That's good enough for me bt how will Americans/historians view her I wonder?

SV_Fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Monica is a tough call. She represented Yugoslavia initially but lived in America since she was 13. With the break up of Yugoslavia she went on to become an American citizen and represent United States in Fed Cup. In her autobiography she says she feels American. That's good enough for me bt how will Americans/historians view her I wonder?

Wouldn't it be Serbia because Yugoslavia is current day Serbia and Montengro I think:confused: :confused:

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't it be Serbia because Yugoslavia is current day Serbia and Montengro I think:confused: :confused:

Ok, so you don't consider Monica an American even though she played Fed cup for America and has lived there since 13 years old?

I understand Monica feels more Hungarian than Serbian because she's of Hungarian stock and lived in a part of former Yugoslavia where there was a large Hungarian community.

Cp6uja
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM

She is from Novi Sad biggest serbian city after Belgrade and capitol of serbian province Vojvodina. She is ethnic Hungarian (in Vojvodina more than 15% citizens are Hungarians and they live here about 1000 years).

3 of her 9 GS titles she reach for former ("greate") Yugoslavia.
In summer of 1991. that country dont existing anymore and next 5 slams she reach for "her" (serbian) part of former Yugoslavia.
Her last 9th slam she reach when represented USA. If we see her titles she is much more player from Serbia than Navratilova player from Czech Repuplic.

SERBIA: Seles & Djokovic.

felipe2004
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Brazil: Maria Bueno and Gustavo kuerten :)

dybbuk
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
She is from Novi Sad biggest serbian city after Belgrade and capitol of serbian province Vojvodina. She is ethnic Hungarian (in Vojvodina more than 15% citizens are Hungarians and they live here about 1000 years).

3 of her 9 GS titles she reach for former ("greate") Yugoslavia.
In summer of 1991. that country dont existing anymore and next 5 slams she reach for "her" (serbian) part of former Yugoslavia.
Her last 9th slam she reach when represented USA. If we see her titles she is much more player from Serbia than Navratilova player from Czech Repuplic.

SERBIA: Seles & Djokovic.

Novak is not 'Great' yet. :shrug:

ce
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
but he is the best male tennis player ever from Serbia

Mightymirza
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Novak is not 'Great' yet. :shrug:

Seriously!! Not even close to!! :silly:

schorsch
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
switzlerland fedi and hingis

schorsch
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
oh you'll see. novak WILL be great and he's already pretty darn good.

he's perfomance at miami was AMAZING. such control, such power, such feel, such all-court play, such sixth sense, such serving... he's really good and i hope he'll snatch a slam this year.

dybbuk
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
oh you'll see. novak WILL be great and he's already pretty darn good.

I never said he wouldn't be great. He is not great now however, and cannot be compared to the other greats from different countries, which is what the whole thread is about.

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
but he is the best male tennis player ever from Serbia

what about all of yugoslavia. just curious. when monica played, it was all yugoslavia. any good male pros ever?

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'd still have to go with the United States. the USA has probably 5 or more women with better careers than Hingis. and Federer hasn't passed Pete yet. No argument for switzerland whatsoever. Who are you people kidding?

And Navratilova won her majors as an American too. Although Lendl and Nav would be quite the package duo. Still, Lendl is no Pete.

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I guess you could make an argument for Australia :tape: but that's mostly pre open era success.

schorsch
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
i dont see navratilova as an american though.

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM

That's really irrelevant. :shrugs:
She's always felt American, always played FedCup...

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM

+ 1

For me Martina is czech , Hingis is slovak and Seles is serbian

schorsch
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
nope hingis is another case for me. she was so young when she went to switzerland. her momma lives in CH, too.

faboozadoo15
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
+ 1

For me Martina is czech , Hingis is slovak and Seles is serbian

Did Hingis even grow up in Slovakia? Thought she was just born there.
And Seles is more Hungarian than anything. She has no ties to Serbia except where she was born and played a little bit of tennis as a child.

StZox
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM

She won 5 GS titles under the flag of Yugoslavia which at the time consisted of Serbia and Montenegro.
She was born in Novi Sad - Serbia.

BTW, if we take origin of players into consideration, hardly any American player is American!

StZox
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Did Hingis even grow up in Slovakia? Thought she was just born there.
And Seles is more Hungarian than anything. She has no ties to Serbia except where she was born and played a little bit of tennis as a child.

And Serena should play for. say, Ghana?

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm amazed that Monica Seles who seems such a sweet person always seems to get embroiled in controversy, she's unlucky.

Let's just say she's represented both Former Yugoslavia and the United States with distinction.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM

And Sampras for Greece, Agassi for Iran, Chang for China.

Your taking an interesting discussion and turning it into nonsense.

soomaal
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM

No not Ghana, just because Ghana is a place in Africa she visited. It's well-known amongs Somalis that she is in actual fact from Somalia. Them William girls are Somali. FACT.:kiss:

Dave.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
This is ridiculous. Seles and Navratilova are American. They have American citizenship, lived there for most of their lives and most of all they say they feel American. They both have decided to become Americans, and it is their own thoughts which count. Seles has lived in the USA for most of her life and did alot of her training there. Navratilova, well she wouldn't have done half the stuff she did in her career if she didn't defect and get away from all the restrictions she had. As for Hingis, she is Swiss end of. If someone chooses to change nationality for some reason then it is up to them. They wouldn't change to a country if they didn't feel connected with that country. It does get tedious when people are changing all the time, but if they change just once and feel strongly about it, then you have to respect that they are playing for a different country.

soomaal
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
This is ridiculous. Seles and Navratilova are American. They have American citizenship, lived there for most of their lives and most of all they say they feel American. They both have decided to become Americans, and it is their own thoughts which count. Seles has lived in the USA for most of her life and did alot of her training there. Navratilova, well she wouldn't have done half the stuff she did in her career if she didn't defect and get away from all the restrictions she had. As for Hingis, she is Swiss end of. If someone chooses to change nationality for some reason then it is up to them. They wouldn't change to a country if they didn't feel connected with that country. It does get tedious when people are changing all the time, but if they change just once and feel strongly about it, then you have to respect that they are playing for a different country.

Well, lets face it they probably changed nationality cuz of better financial and other opportunities. And just because you have signed a stupid piece of paper denouncing your country of origin doesn't mean that much. If hingis, seles or navratilova had gotten a chinese nationality - it would not have made them anymore chinese. No matter how hard they tried to connect with the 'chinese person' inside them.:tape: :tape: I hope I made the slightest sense:help:

thrust
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Great American born players: Wills-Moody, King, Evert, Connolly, Gibson, Serena, Venus, Davenport, Margreat O du Pont, Louise Brough, Doris Hart, Helen Jacobs, Alice Marble, Pauline Betz. Seles and Navratilova are just as American in that they chose to be here and were proud and happy to represent the USA in Fed Cup. We are proud and happy to have them too!

Dave.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Well, lets face it they probably changed nationality cuz of better financial and other opportunities. And just because you have signed a stupid piece of paper denouncing your country of origin doesn't mean that much. If hingis, seles or navratilova had gotten a chinese nationality - it would not have made them anymore chinese. No matter how hard they tried to connect with the 'chinese person' inside them.:tape: :tape: I hope I made the slightest sense:help:

Well Hingis changed when she was too young to even care about it. I mean, she has never spent much time at all in Slovakia, her mum is Swiss aswell. She is from Switzerland. Navratilova changed for her freedom. The Czech officials were restricting her more and more to the extent where she simply wouldn't be allowed out the country anymore. She didn't see her family for 11 years once she left. When she visited and eventually lived in the USA, it felt alot more natural for her. She changed for the better opportunity, yes, but she feels American now and has spent most of her life there, so it is up to her. Seles is a similar scenario. She has chosen to be American, therefore she is. If she had spent most of her life in the UK, and felt British, then essentialy she would be.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM

Well, yes but its both what you said and what Dav said. We know Navratilova believed in America's values and freedoms. Monica at 13 was too young to have informed opinions about the world when she first went to America.

So its both financial and they have a strong conection for the country they want to represent.

I'm sure Rusedski will tell you he has a strong connection for Britain. He toiled hard sweat for the davis Cup team but his considerations to come over here were definitely financial and ego based as well, he saw an opportunity and took it.

IanRadi
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
US - Evert and Sampras
Argentina - Sabatini and Vilas
Brazil - Bueno and Kuerten
Chile - Lizano and Rios

StZox
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
I was beeing ironic.

Let's get back to the topic, PLEASE

Cp6uja
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
This is ridiculous. Seles and Navratilova are American. They have American citizenship, lived there for most of their lives and most of all they say they feel American.

Martina Hingis is from Swiss not Slovakia...

Monica Seles won 8 slams when played for Yugoslavia and only 1 for USA.
Martina Navratilova won for Czechoslovakia only 1 slam in doubles and for USA she won 18 slams in singles and 30 in doubles.
Martina Hingis all her WTA titles (not only slams) won when played for Switzerland.

Did you see LITLE difference in this cases???

Also, when she young (13 y.o.) she dont go to live in USA. She's going in Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy and that is not same thing. Jelena Jankovic also go to Florida/Bollettieri when she is very young. Is she American player too or is that mean that Golovin is not French (or Russian :devil: ) player because she also live in Florida? In Serbia we dont have even any chalenger for girls and all our best players dont training here (is Ana Ivanovic Swiss player? Also, Jelena Dokic when played for as never training here).

what about all of yugoslavia. just curious. when monica played, it was all yugoslavia. any good male pros ever?
For Yugoslavia and our Davis Cup played some greate players like Nikola Pilic or Goran Ivanisevic but they both is Croats from Croatia and it's not fair to count theys (even Pilic who whole proffesional career played for YUG). But Monica Seles case is different.

19 y.o. Novak Djokovic (ATP#5 or #6 in todays new ATP list) is alredy our best male player ever and man who won this year "5th slam Miami" (in Federer/Nadal era !!!). This success is like you won some regular slam in past :devil: .

Dave.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Monica Seles won 8 slams when played for Yugoslavia and only 1 for USA.
Martina Navratilova won for Czechoslovakia only 1 slam in doubles and for USA she won 18 slams in singles and 30 in doubles.
Martina Hingis all her WTA titles (not only slams) won when played for Switzerland.

Did you see LITLE difference in this cases???

Also, when she young (13 y.o.) she dont go to live in USA. She's going in Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy and that is not same thing. Jelena Jankovic also go to Florida/Bollettieri when she is very young. Is she American player too or is that mean that Golovin is not French (or Russian :devil: ) player because she also live in Florida? In Serbia we dont have even any chalenger for girls and all our best players dont training here (is Ana Ivanovic Swiss player? Also, Jelena Dokic when played for as never training here).

I understand this, but Seles herself says she is an American and she has documents to prove it. It is her choice.

timex63
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Mexico: Angelica Gavaldon

CuteLatinGirl
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:11 AM
Argentina - Gaby Sabatini and G. Vilas
Australia – Margaret S. Court and Rod Laver
Brazil - M. Bueno and Guga Kuerten :kiss:
Chile - Lizano and Marcelo Rios
Germany - Stefi Graf and Becker
Zcech - Navratilova and Ivan Lendl
US - Evert and Sampras-Agassi
Belgium - Henin and Rochus??? :scratch:
Britain: Fred Perry & D. Douglass Chambers
Russia: Marat Safin and Maria Sharapova
Sweden: Björn Borg – Stefan Edberg – Mats Wilander and Catarina Lindqvist :help:
(I cannot remember another sweden female player but for me these 3 guys
deserve to be mentioned)

:wavey:

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
Goran Pripic i heard and believe he played for Yugoslavia, in fact they played Hopman cup one year... Once reached Roland Garros Quaterfinals, dunno someone else from there.

spencercarlos
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
Argentina - Gaby Sabatini and G. Vilas
Australia – Margaret S. Court and Rod Laver
Brazil - M. Bueno and Guga Kuerten :kiss:
Chile - Lizano and Marcelo Rios
Germany - Stefi Graf and Becker
Zcech - Navratilova and Ivan Lendl
US - Evert and Sampras-Agassi
Belgium - Henin and Rochus??? :scratch:
Britain: Fred Perry & D. Douglass Chambers
Russia: Marat Safin and Maria Sharapova
Sweden: Björn Borg – Stefan Edberg – Mats Wilander and Catarina Lindqvist :help:
(I cannot remember another sweden female player but for me these 3 guys
deserve to be mentioned)

:wavey:
You are not the only one posting this but What makes people think that Rochus has had a better carreer than say Malisse? Malisse has a WImbledon semifinal 2002 and a Quarterfinal at the Usopen 2005 at least.
Filip Dewulf also a Roland Garros semifinalist, and winner of 2 titles makes a better carreer than Rochus as well.

kiwifan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM

I'd take Serena and Connors against all comers and feel real good about the outcome. :devil:

But Evert and Sampras are objectively speaking the top 2 Americans. :worship:

That said, I'd still take Serena and Connors against Evert and Sampras. :devil: