PDA

View Full Version : Im very dissapointed in Kim

Andy.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Look Im not the biggest Kim fan but I have been very very dissapointed by her this year and her attitude. So much for her so called farewell tour. She has played a handfull of events and is missing 2 of the slams because of her wedding. My god she is 23 she can get married next year and have all the time in the world to prepare for it, why does it have to be this year. I think if she was calling this her farewell she should have played a proper schedule and said goodbye to the fans and all her fans around the world. She was a great player but she is going out with a wimper and doesnt even seem to care anymore about her results she is just going through the motions and waiting for it to end. The way she is going she shouls have quit last year. I just think its sad and dissapointing that this is way she is ending it. Thats just my opinion.

Medina
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
she is going to retire at 23, thats just wierd

Experimentee
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Yes I dont understand what her hurry is in getting married so soon. I think later on she will regret leaving her career so early to be a housewife and have babies, but it will be too late to come back by then. It a shame that she has so much talent but will probably end her career with only one Slam.

Polikarpov
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Well, Hingis retired at 22.

She's missing two slams? What's the other one? I've heard somewhere that it's the US Open because of her honeymoon. Is this true?

Medina
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

She's missing two slams? What's the other one? I've heard somewhere that it's the US Open because of her honeymoon. Is this true?

yes but isnt she back? :P

Minotaur
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
She is just a human and can do what she wants.

She achieved a lot in tennis to not bother about it any longer. Especially when she has got different plans to her life.

C'mon, people, she made pretty impossible thing 2 years ago when she came back from a serious injury (and nobody believed she could come back). She won US Open, Pacific Life Open, Nasdaq Open... actually 13 tournaments after that. This is great. And you even ask her for more.

Polikarpov
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
yes but isnt she back? :P

Honestly, I'm don't know much abouth Kim's plans because I don't follow her that much.

Andy.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
I just think that if she is going to leave the game forever and do whats she wants at least say goodbye properly. Is that too much to ask to actually play on you supposed farewell tour, its hardly been that.

Yasmine
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
This thread is bound to go nasty :tape:

pooh14
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
hingis retired and realize it was a big mistake. hingis retired because she was burn out at that age and also of her prolong foot injury at that time not allowing her to play her best.

but kim's case is a bit different, since she is going to have a family. she is a family type of girl who loves to have her own kids and bringing them up. so i don't think she would come back to tennis. besides, kim is quite injury prone, so she is also fed up with all the injuries.

actually i don't blame these players, they start at a very young age, never go to enjoy all the normal things kids do, achieved so much by the teens, then get burn out by their early 20s, retire at a age when other people are just starting their careers.

if you see the trend, all those who achieve at young, most of them get burned out, hingis, serena n venus (they had somesort like a break year), kim......i won't be suprise if maria takes a break too in another 2 years time.

Gowza
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
i don't care what she does, i do think she underachieved but she's allowed to retire young and not play a full schedule if she wants. but i think calling it a farewell tour is a joke.

DimaDinosaur
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
Well it's Kim's life and she can do what she wants. We all have expectations for her and many of us are disappointed in her, but at the end of the day, it's all about her satisfaction with the decisions she makes. if she's happy, none of us can say anything about it. :)

infinitusone
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Whatever she does we should support. It's not our life. Everyone is seeking happiness maybe this is where her happiness is. She reached the top of the tennis world and now her desires have changed, we have to respect that.

xin_hui
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Playing a goodbye tour doesnt mean she has to make sure she goes around to every corner of the world to play every tournament. Sure, there'll be disappointed fans in places she isnt playing. but she cant possibly play every tournament :shrug: and if she does, i'm sure the lovely posters on wtaworld will brand her a tournament whore, as they do on every single player who plays practically every week ;)

people love to bring out her wedding and say she is slacking because of it. sure, she is missing USO because of it. but not RG. even way back in 2005, she had already hinted she might opt out of RG in future. her being out of RG is more because 1)she doesnt like the surface 2) she feels it brings injuries to her. yes, her wedding plans then fitted into the RG vacuum, but i'm pretty sure there is more to her no-show at RG than her wedding. even so, i dont see why we should fault a person's wedding date. moreover, she isnt the only player to have scheduled a wedding smack in the middle of a season. and for the people who find it retarded to play warsaw but not RG, she has always said she is grateful to the tourney for offering her a WC in 2005 when she was ranked 133rd, which is primarily her reason for going back.

and lastly, she isnt retiring only because she wants a family. her decision to quit in 2007 was made in august 2005, before the USO. at that time, she was not yet engaged and not planning for a wedding. so there is another reason for her retirement, which brings us to: her body cannot take it. it's pretty obvious she cant string a few matches in a row anymore. when she doesnt mention her body, people think nothing is wrong. but when she does, she's accused of faking injuries :shrug: do i find some of her deicisons weird? yes. but geez, it's her life. tbh, i seriously thought it was over after montreal last year. so everything this year is an added bonus, and i'm not gonna say "get lost"

i'm not saying kim deserves no criticism for the way she's playing out her last year, and yes, i dont like the "no USO decision". but some of the comments (not in this thread) have gone way overboard

mm1147
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
im not surprised if she comes back two years later

honeyke
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
It was mentioned in a lot of threads as well, but it can be said again. It´s Kim´s life.
To tell you the truth, I don´t undertand why people create new threads about her retirement again and again...In my opinion there is nothing to discuss anymore.

Jeff
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
It's Kim's life, and the fact that she is retiring so early is sad (for her fans), but what is disappointing is how it is coming about. If she would have retired last year that would be fine. But to drag it on through this year, continuing to withdraw and saying statements like "I don't have the will yet to train" is quite pathetic. Instead of making such statements and withdrawing and dragging it out, she should have just retired already.

Dexter
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
and for the people who find it retarded to play warsaw but not RG, she has always said she is grateful to the tourney for offering her a WC in 2005 when she was ranked 133rd, which is primarily her reason for going back.Awww! :awww:

Go Kimmie! :bigclap: :hearts:
We've got doggies too.

wateva
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Awww! :awww:

Go Kimmie! :bigclap: :hearts:
We've got doggies too.
others don't even come close:help:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Clijsters has used tennis as a means to an end. She is only 23, true. But in that time she has made more money than most players who play past 30. I think that is what it is all about for her. She now has the dosh to live in the nicest house possible as well as have a few extra places around the world for holidays and trips. She can vacation to anywhere in the world as often as she wants, send all her kids to the best schools and universities and never live with the pressure of making ends meet that most families experience.

I don't think Clijsters ever really cared about tennis. She is a nice girl and she enjoyed making friends on the tour. For a while she probably also enjoyed seeing different places although the joys of travelling likely faded quite quickly. And who wouldn't enjoy holding trophies up and having everyone cheer you?

But the downside, the hard work, the injuries, I'm sure she didn't enjoy that. For her tennis was her job. It paid well, enough to put up with the hard work, travel, pain, lack of free time etc. But at a certain point once you have enough money the live the rest of you life, why continue? Clijsters was never in it for the Slam titles, although I'm sure she is very pleased she at least won one. I don't think she is bothered about where her place will be in tennis history.

She has found someone she wants to share her life with and raise kids. The money earned playing tennis has allowed her to do this in a lifestyle most of us could only dream of. I'm sure she will be very happy. :yeah:

Dexter
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
others don't even come close:help: Back to cutting onions and making pasta for now!

I like SPAGHETTI too! :drool:

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
i must admit i though she would be going flat out this year, but playing only one slam is just :rolleyes: and when she loses she doesnt seem to care anymore

!<blocparty>!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
"It's her life!" "She can do what she wants!" "If she wants to make fool of herself and a mockery of the tour that's fine!" "Just leave Kim alone" "What's it do you anyway??" Blah. Blah. Blah.

Kim's nonsense over the past couple of years just adds to the farce that womens tennis has become since the end of 2003. Most of the "top" players aren't doing anything to help their argument for equal prize money when they're constantly pulling crap like this. Steffica Greles gave a pretty good account of what I'm getting at in the other US Open thread with Hingis, Serena, Venus, Petrova, Justine, Dementieva. etc. just taking the piss.

These women are professional athletes. Tennis is their job. They earn massive amounts of money for travelling the globe doing something they love. How many people are fortunate enough to be able to do that? At the end of the day it's fans like me who attend tournaments, visit their websites, read their blogs, buy their merchandise and watch their matches on TV that pays their wages. In return, I expect certain levels of committment, professionalism and EFFORT from them, just like in any other professional sport - team or individual.

I'll be attending the Wimbledon R16s, QF's and maybe semis/finals this year. If I have to fork out over £60/$120 for a seat and sit through a Kim/Hingis/Dementieva tank fest, I'm going to be pissed off. Why the fuck should people like myself be paying for these women to "say goodbye to their fans one last time"? I'd much rather sit and watch a keen youngster who actually wants to be out on court doing their absolutele best, giving it their all.

Yes, at the end of the day, Kim can to do what the hell she want to do. But the people who are fine with this nonsense shouldn't expect everyone else to respect her decisions and give her a free ride.

papru
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Kims decision... respect :bowdown:

jujufreak
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:01 AM

She achieved a lot in tennis

She won US Open, Pacific Life Open, Nasdaq Open...

wow, astonishing :eek:

:tape:

terjw
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Look Im not the biggest Kim fan but I have been very very dissapointed by her this year and her attitude. So much for her so called farewell tour. She has played a handfull of events and is missing 2 of the slams because of her wedding. My god she is 23 she can get married next year and have all the time in the world to prepare for it, why does it have to be this year. I think if she was calling this her farewell she should have played a proper schedule and said goodbye to the fans and all her fans around the world. She was a great player but she is going out with a wimper and doesnt even seem to care anymore about her results she is just going through the motions and waiting for it to end. The way she is going she shouls have quit last year. I just think its sad and dissapointing that this is way she is ending it. Thats just my opinion.

You can be disappointed that this is the way her final year is ending without being disappointed in Kim herself. Kim herself has nothing to be ashamed of and hasn't let anyone down. OK - everyone has a right to their opinion on a message board. But unless you actually know her personally, and what she is physically able to do now, and what is important to her and the people around her, your opinion is just that. As a fan I wish it had been otherwise - but no way do I think she's let me down or anyone else down.

Incidentally, the reason she gave when she announced she'd be retiring in two years time was that her body could not take it anymore - nothing to do with her marriage. I think she was intending to give it her all in 2007 - but at sometime early this year the marriage has taken over a bigger importance and her body as well - for instance she says she can't now do the splits but still does them instinctively. And I think she changed her mind to what she originally intended for 2007. Geez - ppl change their mind all the time - what's wrong with that.

terjw
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
"I'll be attending the Wimbledon R16s, QF's and maybe semis/finals this year. If I have to fork out over £60/$120 for a seat and sit through a Kim/Hingis/Dementieva tank fest, I'm going to be pissed off. Why the fuck should people like myself be paying for these women to "say goodbye to their fans one last time"? I'd much rather sit and watch a keen youngster who actually wants to be out on court doing their absolutele best, giving it their all.

Good grief - what's your problem? Instead of whining away as you watch the match - give up your seat to someone who does want to see Kim for the last time. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who will want to see her. No-one is forcing you to watch anything. Go and watch one of those dedicated players you so want to watch on the outside courts.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Yes, at the end of the day, Kim can to do what the hell she want to do. But the people who are fine with this nonsense shouldn't expect everyone else to respect her decisions and give her a free ride.

Well put. Personally I feel pretty ambivalent on Kim's decisions. Given where she seems to be coming from she is obviously making decisions that are right for her.

However the people I most respect in tennis are the players who play the game for the love of it not for the money. Sometimes it isn't until the end of a players career that these things become clear. But when you see players still competing on the challenger tour in their mid-thirties those are the ones you know simply eat, sleep and breath tennis.

Clijsters too has shown her true colors. For me, she is not someone I would look up to with great admiration in the way I would someone like Younes El Aynaoui. She took the money and ran. Ok. Fair enough. I'm not that bothered. I was never a fan of hers and must say if I was I would have been much more disappointed. As it is, I wish her the best. She worked hard to get to where is she is.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Good grief - what's your problem? Instead of whining away as you watch the match - give up your seat to someone who does want to see Kim for the last time. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who will want to see her. No-one is forcing you to watch anything. Go and watch one of those dedicated players you so want to watch on the outside courts.

True. That is certainly what I would do if I had tickets to a Clijsters match at Wimbledon.

!<blocparty>!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM

I thought I made my "problem" fairy obvious.

You really think I'm going to give up a centre/court 1 ticket to someone who wants to see her? :lol: There'll be at least two other matches that I'll probably want to watch, featuring real professionals. My ticket won't be going anywhere if its for the second week. I shall be watching all the scrubs in the first week, thanks. The second week is for elite tennis. Well, meant for.

ce
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Back to cutting onions and making pasta for now!

:drool:

Geertvg
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Her body doesn't cooperate any longer, her time to go has come, sadly. Her play is too tough on her body and she can't give it a 100 % and that makes playing tennis a lot less fun... She knows she won't be the player she used to be and has other plans. We should respect that and hope for the best results the tournaments she does play! :)

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
I thought I made my "problem" fairy obvious.

You really think I'm going to give up a centre/court 1 ticket to someone who wants to see her? :lol: There'll be at least two other matches that I'll probably want to watch, featuring real professionals. My ticket won't be going anywhere if its for the second week. I shall be watching all the scrubs in the first week, thanks. The second week is for elite tennis. Well, meant for.

Just in case you aren't aware, it is actually possible to leave ones seats during matches on showcourts and enjoy watching an outside court match and then return later in the day to see later matches included on the program. So terjw is right in that you aren't obliged to see Clijsters if you don't want to. The wonderful thing about Wimbledon is there is always a great match going on. And actually some of those scrubs play some excellent highly entertaining tennis.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
i must admit i though she would be going flat out this year, but playing only one slam is just :rolleyes: and when she loses she doesnt seem to care anymore

AO + Wimlbedon makes 2 slams :)

!<blocparty>!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Just in case you aren't aware, it is actually possible to leave ones seats during matches on showcourts and enjoy watching an outside court match and then return later in the day to see later matches included on the program. So terjw is right in that you aren't obliged to see Clijsters if you don't want to. The wonderful thing about Wimbledon is there is always a great match going on. And actually some of those scrubs play some excellent highly entertaining tennis.

But... that's completely missing the point. I love outside court matches in the first week - you can get so much closer to the players and there's much more variety in the type of tennis played etc. etc. My point was, I don't want to spend £60/£70/£80 for second week show court tickets and miss a third of the schedule because we have a Belgian on her farewell tour smokin out the joint with forehands 10ft long. The outside matches in the second week don't really interest me as much as I'm not a huge doubles/juniors fan. If they did I'd get a ground pass then too.

Wojtek
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
and for the people who find it retarded to play warsaw but not RG, she has always said she is grateful to the tourney for offering her a WC in 2005 when she was ranked 133rd, which is primarily her reason for going back.

Bullshit

She is playing Warsaw because Warsaw is managed by Octagon Cis, the firm of Bob Verbeeck (close friend of Kim) and also the firm which has a contract with Kim Clijsters.

JackFrost
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM

Hingis had other reasons to quit at 22. She was forced to it, because of health issues.

terjw
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
But... that's completely missing the point. I love outside court matches in the first week - you can get so much closer to the players and there's much more variety in the type of tennis played etc. etc. My point was, I don't want to spend £60/£70/£80 for second week show court tickets and miss a third of the schedule because we have a Belgian on her farewell tour smokin out the joint with forehands 10ft long. The outside matches in the second week don't really interest me as much as I'm not a huge doubles/juniors fan. If they did I'd get a ground pass then too.

Whine whine - I paid my money. I don't want to see Kim, I don't want to see an error feast - only high quality matches, I don't want to go and see doubles/juniors if the match is not wot I want. whine, whine. My heart bleeds for you.

Slumpsova
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
:yawn:

alibaby
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM

She achieved a lot in tennis to not bother about it any longer. Especially when she has got different plans to her life.

C'mon, people, she made pretty impossible thing 2 years ago when she came back from a serious injury (and nobody believed she could come back). She won US Open, Pacific Life Open, Nasdaq Open... actually 13 tournaments after that. This is great. And you even ask her for more.

yes,big dito!!and personally,i believe she does anything this year primarily for HER OWN pleasure,and thats her damned right,after all she has achieved...and thats why it is ok so far for me,to do this rather egoistic(if you want to even call it so..)schedule,which means f.e. meeting people she likes at the tournaments etc,and not having the main look on the results!!!and her real fans rather savour the many many great achievements in her career,than not even respect her rather "not 100% tennis-schedule" this year...

thats my thoughts on the matter

have a nice weekend:) :)

friendsita
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm sad about her last year on tour, I really want to see her at the US Open, I had plans to go specially to see her, but there's nothing we can do about it, she's such a nice girl and she deserves to be happy and right now getting married is happiness for her.

John.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
:yawn::zzz: Has she not retired yet?

It is getting ridiculous but there have been so many threads about this.

Enough already :rolleyes:

ico4498
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
bejesus, get the hell up off the woman and let her live her life.

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
"It's her life!" "She can do what she wants!" "If she wants to make fool of herself and a mockery of the tour that's fine!" "Just leave Kim alone" "What's it do you anyway??" Blah. Blah. Blah.

Kim's nonsense over the past couple of years just adds to the farce that womens tennis has become since the end of 2003. Most of the "top" players aren't doing anything to help their argument for equal prize money when they're constantly pulling crap like this. Steffica Greles gave a pretty good account of what I'm getting at in the other US Open thread with Hingis, Serena, Venus, Petrova, Justine, Dementieva. etc. just taking the piss.

These women are professional athletes. Tennis is their job. They earn massive amounts of money for travelling the globe doing something they love. How many people are fortunate enough to be able to do that? At the end of the day it's fans like me who attend tournaments, visit their websites, read their blogs, buy their merchandise and watch their matches on TV that pays their wages. In return, I expect certain levels of committment, professionalism and EFFORT from them, just like in any other professional sport - team or individual.

I'll be attending the Wimbledon R16s, QF's and maybe semis/finals this year. If I have to fork out over £60/$120 for a seat and sit through a Kim/Hingis/Dementieva tank fest, I'm going to be pissed off. Why the fuck should people like myself be paying for these women to "say goodbye to their fans one last time"? I'd much rather sit and watch a keen youngster who actually wants to be out on court doing their absolutele best, giving it their all.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

.... if people in the business world were always telling their workers... "oh, it's ok that you're not committed... i know that you're not interested in the job anymore but we'd like to keep you anyways instead of a youngster who may not have as much potential but can commit more time and passion and produce more than you can" then all businesses would be failing

hablo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
She is playing Warsaw because Warsaw is managed by Octagon Cis, the firm of Bob Verbeeck (close friend of Kim) and also the firm which has a contract with Kim Clijsters.

Hhmmm... interesting.

Hashim.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
i just got no words:sobbing:

cellophane
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM

If she is playing Wimbledon, I'm assuming she wants to play in it (not as in she can do what she wants, but she has the desire to play it) and is prepared to make some sort of effort as opposed to showing up to 100 tournaments and not caring. That was the whole rationale for picking only a few tournaments? But apparently you still find her annoying. Because she is supposedly going to tank (so why would she pick to play this tournament if she wanted to tank?). You are whining about something that hasn't even happened yet. You would be unhappy regardkess of whether she tanked or not if she made a bazillion errors. If making a bazillion errors is what annoys you, then go see something else. I am annoyed with the way Hingis (passively) and Kim are playing as well. However, when you buy a ticket, the players simply owe you to try their best. If they make a baillion errors and their current playing styles annoy you, then, yes, I can say, quit whining and go see something else. You rant sounds like whining for the sake of whining about Clijsters rather than some legit concern about not getting your money's worth. Anyway, if it's brainless tennis is what annoys you, then there are more people to get annoyed about than just Clijsters... athough I guess you are annoyed with a ton of players these days.

marion127
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
You rant sounds like whining for the sake of whining about Clijsters rather than some legit concern about not getting your money's worth.

Oh, OK.

Thanks for letting me know. I shall carefully reconsider my opinion on this entire situation now after that insightful response. :)

cellophane
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Oh, OK.

Thanks for letting me know. I shall carefully reconsider my opinion on this entire situation now after that insightful response. :)

Awesome! Well, it does come across that way. :shrug: Forgive me if I'm wrong... but, like I said, you are whining about something that hasn't happened and then whining about watching a match with a bazillion errors when you don't have to (and yes, I know that you piad money for the ticket in hopes to see a good match, but it surprises me you'd care to pay for women's matches at all since you think women's tennis is piss poor anyway). Well, maybe I am wrong, and your whining isn't Clijsters-specific. Regardless it comes across as whining for the sake of whining.

!<blocparty>!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
So I just went away and carefully reconsidered my stance. You're actually right, Cello!

1. Kim does care! It's obvious why she's playing such a small selection of events - because they are very important to her. She wants to do her absolute best in them and be at the top of her game.
2. Playing Warsaw and skipping RG is actually a very smart decision. Clay is harsh on her body - why risk getting chronic back pain/broken arms/broken legs/fractured kneecaps ahead of your wedding Wimbledon! By playing Warsaw, she can get some much needed clay court practice in before Eastbourne.
3. I'm really looking forward to watching Kim play at Wimbledon now. She'll definitely be trying her absolute best against everyone she faces - especially Justine! There should be some awesome matches.
4. Missing the US Open is another smart move. It's her best slam - she won her last match there back in the 2005 final. She'll retire knowing this, and it will be great. She can tell her kiddies she was the CHAMPION who never returned again.
5. Playing Stuttgart and Luxembourg will be a blast for her and her fans! Plus, she'll be able to keep in half-decent shape. It's important to be fit and healthy during pregnancy.

cellophane
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
1. Kim does care! It's obvious why she's playing such a small selection of events - because they are very important to her. She wants to do her absolute best in them and be at the top of her game.:lol: I didn't say that by playing a few events she'll be at the top of her game. I don't expect her to be at the top of her game at all. I just said that if she is playing these events, then I think she actually wants to play them. Otherwise, why the fuck not just quit right now?

2. Playing Waraw and skipping RG is actually a very smart decision. Clay is harsh on her body - why risk getting chronic back pain/broken arms/broken legs/fractured kneecaps ahead of your wedding Wimbledon! By playing Warsaw, she can get some much needed clay court practice in before Eastbourne.Hilarious! But I have no clue why she is playing Warsaw... whether it's because she wants to or because she has a contract with Octagon. I don't know. But yeah... actually RG is right before Wimbledon, so, yes, as funny as you find the whole idea ( I have no clue why... since it's not like it's not true that she hasn't gotten injured tons of times), if she got injured, she wouldn't play Wimbledon (which is what she wants, I guess) if you thought about this logically. Playing in Warsaw has nothing to do with Wimbledon, you know. ;) It has nothing to do with RG and Warsaw both being on clay. RG is on clay, and it's a 2-week event, and it's right before Wimbeldon.

3. I'm really looking forward to watching Kim play at Wimbledon now. She'll definitely be trying her absolute best against everyone she faces - especially Justine! There should be some awesome matches.Yes, I'm sure you'll be present at all of them and be ecstatic about the 100s of unforced errors she makes. :D

4. Missing the US Open is another smart move. It's her best slam - she won her last match there back in the 2005 final. She'll retire knowing this, and it will be great. She can tell her kiddies she was the CHAMPION who never returned again.You got it. :yeah:

5. Playing Stuttgart and Luxembourg will be a blast for her and her fans! Plus, she'll be able to keep in half-decent shape. It's important to be fit and healthy during pregnancy.:spit: Okay... so what's wrong with playing Luxembourg and Stuttgart?

terjw
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM

.... if people in the business world were always telling their workers... "oh, it's ok that you're not committed... i know that you're not interested in the job anymore but we'd like to keep you anyways instead of a youngster who may not have as much potential but can commit more time and passion and produce more than you can" then all businesses would be failing

Total nonsense. By the way do you work or understand anything about the way businesses work? If you want an analogy it would be this:

Kim is a key subcontaractor to a firm who has given outstanding service to the firm. She announces - well before the one months notice she is required to give and the other workers usually give - that she'll only be able to carry on working for them another two years but she'll give her all. The firm are sorry but are delighted she'll be another two years anyway.

Then after one year she says because of her health and she's also getting married she's sorry but she won't be able to work for some parts of this last year. But gives the dates of when she will be able to work. This is still way more than the one month's notice that is required and workers usually give.

Now if the firm wanted to - they could say OK but don't bother. We'll get young replacement. We wish you a happy wedding. But they don't. She's been such a valued worker - they just are grateful she can still come in when she does.

That's how the real world works. Businesses value people they know who have and can provide a good service for them rather than rush to get rid of them for a youngster.

And God - when were people ever so concerned about and wanted to see the qualifiers who just failed to make it before. The answer is never - it's jsut an excuse to have a bash at Kim. The deserving qualifiers are the ones who make it whether Kim is playing or not.

Jeff
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM

Exactly

gopher
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
ohh but Kim is very ambitious... she is even thinking about playing double mixed at Wimbledon along with eating a lot of strawberries, in the same colour as her wedding dress btw...:lol: :lol:

Yasmine
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
:rolleyes: such an interesting thread. True I forgot there are just no other player to have a go at right now, so Kim is the perfect target. That's pathetic, even if as a Kim fan I am dissapointed in Kim's last year on tour. But get over it.

wateva
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Back to cutting onions and making pasta for now!

alright... someone obviously didn't get my sarcasm.
well, i'll point it out to u then.
i think your sig should be others don't even come close. ;)

fifiricci
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
It's Kim's life, and the fact that she is retiring so early is sad (for her fans), but what is disappointing is how it is coming about. If she would have retired last year that would be fine. But to drag it on through this year, continuing to withdraw and saying statements like "I don't have the will yet to train" is quite pathetic. Instead of making such statements and withdrawing and dragging it out, she should have just retired already.

Yes, that's entirely the problem. I used to be a big Kim fan, but this is what it is about her that turned me off completely in recent months. :tape:

Mileen
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Total nonsense. By the way do you work or understand anything about the way businesses work? If you want an analogy it would be this:

Kim is a key subcontaractor to a firm who has given outstanding service to the firm. She announces - well before the one months notice she is required to give and the other workers usually give - that she'll only be able to carry on working for them another two years but she'll give her all. The firm are sorry but are delighted she'll be another two years anyway.

Then after one year she says because of her health and she's also getting married she's sorry but she won't be able to work for some parts of this last year. But gives the dates of when she will be able to work. This is still way more than the one month's notice that is required and workers usually give.

Now if the firm wanted to - they could say OK but don't bother. We'll get young replacement. We wish you a happy wedding. But they don't. She's been such a valued worker - they just are grateful she can still come in when she does.

That's how the real world works. Businesses value people they know who have and can provide a good service for them rather than rush to get rid of them for a youngster.

And God - when were people ever so concerned about and wanted to see the qualifiers who just failed to make it before. The answer is never - it's jsut an excuse to have a bash at Kim. The deserving qualifiers are the ones who make it whether Kim is playing or not.

:worship:

Mileen
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
So I just went away and carefully reconsidered my stance. You're actually right, Cello!

1. Kim does care! It's obvious why she's playing such a small selection of events - because they are very important to her. She wants to do her absolute best in them and be at the top of her game.
2. Playing Warsaw and skipping RG is actually a very smart decision. Clay is harsh on her body - why risk getting chronic back pain/broken arms/broken legs/fractured kneecaps ahead of your wedding Wimbledon! By playing Warsaw, she can get some much needed clay court practice in before Eastbourne.
3. I'm really looking forward to watching Kim play at Wimbledon now. She'll definitely be trying her absolute best against everyone she faces - especially Justine! There should be some awesome matches.
4. Missing the US Open is another smart move. It's her best slam - she won her last match there back in the 2005 final. She'll retire knowing this, and it will be great. She can tell her kiddies she was the CHAMPION who never returned again.
5. Playing Stuttgart and Luxembourg will be a blast for her and her fans! Plus, she'll be able to keep in half-decent shape. It's important to be fit and healthy during pregnancy.

:D funny indeed

Before (this year) Kim has said she would play her favorite tournaments. I think that's why she is playing Warsaw. So, yeah, that's actually a smart decision, a smart criterium. Now she is saying she is playing those tourny's because she promised people.
Lets just understand Kim for being dualistic, she is human, so it's understandable. It's like she started acting according to a second thought while not having finished acting according to the first. Her compromise is being loyal to the (tourny) people she promised to play certain tournaments.
In a way, she began to taste good life too soon, instead of concentrating on tennis, due to meeting Brian. But that's just life happening. She finds herself in a schismatic situation now and choose a nice and considerate solution, actually.
It's only logic she feels resistance to practice. When you are having diner with your friends, you feel resistance to practice, inherent to the circumstances. And she was open enough to just share her feelings with her fans. But it is not that she isn't practicing. She actually is practicing, despite the resistance, so you could see it from another perspective, she tried to get herself over it.

aussie_fan
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Look, it's up to Kim and what she wants to do retire then she can but the way she is doing it this year with the so-called "farewell tour" i feel isn't right. I don't think she has treated her fans right. I mean, to not play two slams, you might as well already retired. If your not going to play the big 4 tournaments, i don't get the point.

gopher
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
one can wonder why this thread was not censored...

gopher
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
..as this public forum becomes less andless free

VeeTennisFan
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Iím a little disappointed too. I really think she should at least go to the US Open, but it is her life. I was really hoping she would retire after the Olympics next year! Go luck to her!

RenaSlam.
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Whatever. She wasted it.

Sam L
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Clijsters has used tennis as a means to an end. She is only 23, true. But in that time she has made more money than most players who play past 30. I think that is what it is all about for her. She now has the dosh to live in the nicest house possible as well as have a few extra places around the world for holidays and trips. She can vacation to anywhere in the world as often as she wants, send all her kids to the best schools and universities and never live with the pressure of making ends meet that most families experience.

I don't think Clijsters ever really cared about tennis. She is a nice girl and she enjoyed making friends on the tour. For a while she probably also enjoyed seeing different places although the joys of travelling likely faded quite quickly. And who wouldn't enjoy holding trophies up and having everyone cheer you?

But the downside, the hard work, the injuries, I'm sure she didn't enjoy that. For her tennis was her job. It paid well, enough to put up with the hard work, travel, pain, lack of free time etc. But at a certain point once you have enough money the live the rest of you life, why continue? Clijsters was never in it for the Slam titles, although I'm sure she is very pleased she at least won one. I don't think she is bothered about where her place will be in tennis history.

She has found someone she wants to share her life with and raise kids. The money earned playing tennis has allowed her to do this in a lifestyle most of us could only dream of. I'm sure she will be very happy. :yeah:

In the end, that's what separates the good and the great.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:52 PM
In the end, that's what separates the good and the great.

Errr.....no. I don't argue that Clijsters was a great player. Nor do I argue that a high level of motivation is necessary for greatness but I don't believe all players source of motivation is the same. Indeed the manner in which Clijsters has made her money and split at such a young age is quite unusual. I would say most great players have a far deeper love and commitment towards playing tennis.

I should add that the fact that clearly Clijsters does not have that same commitment and love of the game as so many other top players do does not make her any less great a player or human being. but it might make her slightly less admirable as a competitor.

radwanska
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
the reason she dosnt want too play too many tourneys is because her body is VERYYYYYYYYY prone to injury and she dosnt want to retire injured,she wants too go out in style,and for some wierd reason i think she is going to PUT EVERYTHING into Wimbledon as it is basically her last tourney,thats why shes not playing the other ones like roland garros.I THINK SHE MAY SPRING A FEW SUPRISES AROUND TO US ALL AT WIMBLEDON THIS YEAR....................

henree
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I think that Clijsters is one of the sweetest players on tour. But I never had the feeling like she loved and had 100 percent of her heart in the game. That is why it is so easy for her to just up and leave so suddenly. Kim played tennis because it is all she has ever done since she was three years old. Tennis to Kim is a Job not a Career. A Job is something you do to make ends meet. A Career is something you do because you love it. That should let people know why Kim is so mentally prepared to drop everything to go and get married. Her heart isn't in it. Probably never has been.

cellophane
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I think that Clijsters is one of the sweetest players on tour. But I never had the feeling like she loved and had 100 percent of her heart in the game. That is why it is so easy for her to just up and leave so suddenly. Kim played tennis because it is all she has ever done since she was three years old. Tennis to Kim is a Job not a Career. A Job is something you do to make ends meet. A Career is something you do because you love it. That should let people know why Kim is so mentally prepared to drop everything to go and get married. Her heart isn't in it. Probably never has been.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think she didn't care about tennis... however there are other things in life she probably cares about more now and the work she has to put in to play tennis is more stressful than fulfilling.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Agree. That said of course it was a job she did very well.

StellaP
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Perhaps Chris Evert should write her a letter. She might re-consider then!

partbrit
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I'm disappointed about Kim, but not with Kim. It's her life and her body. She's a great player and I'll miss her.

manu32
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
she is right.....there is a life without tennis.....

Mileen
Apr 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Errr.....no. I don't argue that Clijsters was a great player. Nor do I argue that a high level of motivation is necessary for greatness but I don't believe all players source of motivation is the same. Indeed the manner in which Clijsters has made her money and split at such a young age is quite unusual. I would say most great players have a far deeper love and commitment towards playing tennis.

I should add that the fact that clearly Clijsters does not have that same commitment and love of the game as so many other top players do does not make her any less great a player or human being. but it might make her slightly less admirable as a competitor.

I must add she loves to play tennis.