PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young v. Serena Williams

Pages : [1] 2

mankind
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Who would win?

We've established that Serena gets destroyed by a male player ranked in the 200s, but what about little Donny "I can't win a match on tour" Young?

Goai
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Serena 6-4 6-2

fred17
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
i assume 60 60 or 61 61 for young.

after kuznetsova won the us open. she was beaten 60 61 60 or so by a dutch junior who was at the casal academy. men play a other game then woman more spin and more variation.

Josh.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
i assume 60 60 or 61 61 for young.

after kuznetsova won the us open. she was beaten 60 61 60 or so by a dutch junior who was at the casal academy. men play a other game then woman more spin and more variation.

:speakles: really!?

RJWCapriati
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
Serena

6-0, 6-2

veesbest
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
serena 6-0 6-0

Dexter
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Is this Serena!!!!!!! or Serena?

Josh.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Is this Serena!!!!!!! or Serena?

:lol: serena?

Jakeev
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Even Serena knows she would get the crap beaten out of her by Young. Come on folks sheesh.

Polikarpov
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
:lol:

mankind
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Okay I've added a poll :)

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Donald Young 6-4 6-2

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
serena 6-4 7-5

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Who would win?

We've established that Serena gets destroyed by a male player ranked in the 200s, but what about little Donny "I can't win a match on tour" Young?

:rolleyes:

If you had actually bothered to check his latest results, you would have found that Young has been beating some good players in Futures and Challengers. He even holds a Challenger doubles title now.

He'd beat Serena in straight sets. No doubt about it.

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM

i really don't think so

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
i really don't think so

Check out his results :)

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Check out his results :)

check out serena's:lol:

Dexter
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
check out serena's:lol:Don't overlook what they both have in their pants. :)

ce
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
wtf?

dreamgoddess099
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
We've established that Serena gets destroyed by a male player ranked in the 200s

I'm sorry, but shouldn't you test something before you make it a scientific law? Exactly what proves this statement to be true? Oh and please don't bring up that tired story of 15 year old Serena losing a set 6-1 to Christian Braasch. She was getting whipped by low ranked women too at time, so it had nothing to do with her ability. All that proved is that she can lose to anybody. So can Donald.

mankind
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM

If you had actually bothered to check his latest results, you would have found that Young has been beating some good players in Futures and Challengers. He even holds a Challenger doubles title now.

Last time I checked, Futures and Challengers do not count in ATP matches. So on that basis, I stand by my Donny "can't win an ATP match" sentence. I don't have anything personal against the guy, but his record stands at 0-10. I'm just spouting the facts.

mankind
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry, but shouldn't you test something before you make it a scientific law? Exactly what proves this statement to be true? Oh and please don't bring up that tired story of 15 year old Serena losing a set 6-1 to Christian Braasch. She was getting whipped by low ranked women too at time, so it had nothing to do with her ability. All that proved is that she can lose to anybody. So can Donald.

I made it scientific law? :eek: Wow, that was easier than I thought.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
check out serena's:lol:

Yes. I see that she never beat any players Young wouldn't beat :)

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM

Karsten Braasch ;)

And Karsten was a chain-smoking and drinking B-list (once A-list, but no longer at that point in time) doubles player. And yes, GoDom, I know I will get a bad-rep for that :p

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Last time I checked, Futures and Challengers do not count in ATP matches. So on that basis, I stand by my Donny "can't win an ATP match" sentence. I don't have anything personal against the guy, but his record stands at 0-10. I'm just spouting the facts.

Technically, Challengers are part of the ATP Tour, so if you say 'ATP matches', then these would have to be included.

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Yes. I see that she never beat any players Young wouldn't beat :)

you think young could beat graf, henin, sharapova then?

serena_fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
serena 6;0 6;0

Carsten
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
6:0 6:1 young ;) if its working well for Serena ;)

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
you think young could beat graf, henin, sharapova then?

Well, obviously he couldn't at the point when Serena beat them, but yes, I am convinced that the current Young could do that. It doesn't have anything to do with him being a better player than Serena; simply with him being a man.

Louis Cyphre
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
6:0 6:1 young ;) if its working well for Serena ;)

and if Donald choke

Louis Cyphre
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
:haha: @ the poll results

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Well, obviously he couldn't at the point when Serena beat them, but yes, I am convinced that the current Young could do that. It doesn't have anything to do with him being a better player than Serena; simply with him being a man.

ok then, i'm a man, serena could beat me!

what advantages does young have over serena?

FORZA SARITA
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
young 60 60
48 points on 48

Carsten
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM

you're not a pro (i would hope that for you :lol:)

all the physical advantages men do have ;)

mankind
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
and if Donald choke

Yes, there is every chance that Donny would choke it all away. I mean, man, Serena's the most famous player he's ever played against!

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
serena 6;0 6;0

Serena just lost 5 games to the world 227. :rolleyes:

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
he's 17, not a man yet :angel: , so serena couldnt beat a 17 year old boy with a 0-10 atp singles record and highest ranking of 444! i find that extremly hard to beleive from a 8 time grand champion, former wolworld number 1 with over $17m in prize money

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
young 60 60
48 points on 48

Err...right. That is as absurd as saying Serena 6-0 6-0. In any match both players will make a few unforced errors. Serena Williams would win some points against Donald Young. I suspect she would probably if playing her best even win a few games. Obviously Donald Young would win in two relatively easy sets, that is not in question. But Serena Williams would win some points, the only question is how many........

For what it is worth I suspect quite a few.

Carsten
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
he's 17, not a man yet :angel: , so serena couldnt beat a 17 year old boy with a 0-10 atp singles record and highest ranking of 444! i find that extremly hard to beleive from a 8 time grand champion, former wolworld number 1 with over $17m in prize money

in 1999 she lost a set 1:6 to Karsten Braasch who wasn't really better at that time and was smoking during the match. After that he said that his golf match in the morning was much harder :lol:

Its just an illusion to think a female player could beat a male player ranked better thn about 700-800...

esquímaux
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
:lol::lol::lol: Serena? :rolls:

Freakan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
So Young hasn't retired yet? :eek: Hope he does soon :cool:

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
:o

hwanmig
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
20 wishful thinkers or probably the most least knowledgable tennis fans in the world:o.

Sugar_Kane
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
There is no way Serena could win, I be shocked if she won a couple of games. Like someone said before the Men's game is a different one to the women's.

iPatty
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
whoa. serena fans, you're delusional if you think serena can take donald young.

i was watching him practice in the davis cup, and he could DEFINITELY beat serena in straight sets.

Jakeev
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
thank goodness not a single true Serena fan came into this dumb ass, lame thread..........the fact I even bothered to come in here and post makes me even lamer...........ugh I need to quit drinking.........

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Do you even expect me to give a serious reply here?

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
So Young hasn't retired yet? :eek: Hope he does soon :cool:

:weirdo:

He won't. He is having good results :weirdo:

-sugi-
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Donald 60 60

croat123
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
young easily. however voted for serena is :weirdo:

miffedmax
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Young is going to be running down and hit solid returns against Serena that most, if not all, women players wouldn't even be able to get a racket on.

I think it may have been Serena herself who said that with modern rackets, the difference between a male player and a female player is that the men can cover so much more of the court with their better speed.

.Andrew.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Donald for sure. 6-1, 6-0.

Anyone who picked Serena is :weirdo: as much as I like her...

The men play a MUCH bigger game than the women... Serena won't be able to handle Young's pace on the serve. He has a big forehand and a good set of wheels. He also plays well at net.. Serena wouldn't have a chance.

.Andrew.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
@ the Poll Results :haha:

Get real guys... :wavey:

sunset
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Who knows, :lol:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070421/capt.sge.reo13.210407215455.photo00.photo.default-346x512.jpg

mykarma
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Who knows, :lol:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070421/capt.sge.reo13.210407215455.photo00.photo.default-346x512.jpg
When I saw your name I knew the post would be stupid. This thread is about Serena not Venus and I know you know the difference.

selyoink
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
How the hell is Serena winning this poll?

Mina Vagante
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
How the hell is Serena winning this poll?

people see sense :p

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
in 1999 she lost a set 1:6 to Karsten Braasch who wasn't really better at that time and was smoking during the match. After that he said that his golf match in the morning was much harder :lol:

Its just an illusion to think a female player could beat a male player ranked better thn about 700-800...

It was 1998 actually when she was a 16 year old girl. She was also getting bagels and bread sticks from Davenport and Venus at the time...she hadn't even competed in a Grand Slam event when she played him (it was just before the 1998 AO).

I suspect the result would be slightly different today ;)

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Donald for sure. 6-1, 6-0.

Anyone who picked Serena is :weirdo: as much as I like her...

The men play a MUCH bigger game than the women... Serena won't be able to handle Young's pace on the serve. He has a big forehand and a good set of wheels. He also plays well at net.. Serena wouldn't have a chance.

Maybe she would lose, but she has a better and faster serve than most of the men outside of the top 30.

I think if she took the pace of the ball at key times, men would find it very difficult to deal with that. A bit like Capriati trying to deal with Dementieva's ridiculous serve at the US Open in 2004 :lol:

If Serena played Roger Federer she would lose 60 60. But playing Donald young give her a bit of credit, I know men are stronger and naturally more athletic, but they're both still humans. Young isn't exactly a titan who is going to blast Serena off the court!

égalité
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Serena would probably get to deuce a few times.

piercerocks
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
young 6-0 6-2

The Daviator
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Over on MTF, he's known as 'Donna Young' :lol: So I think Serena would have a shot ;)

LDF
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Serena

6-0, 6-2

:spit:

Anyway, as others have mentioned, the men hit the ball more heavily, and can cover the court better than their female counterparts.

Donald would win in straight sets.

die_wahrheit
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
young 6-0 6-0

Chrissie-fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Any male player of even mediocre quality would beat even the very best female players with ease. It has nothing to do with talent but with the fact that nature has given males a physical advantage that's impossible to overcome. It's like letting the fastest man (or woman) on earth run a 100m race against the fattest, laziest and "least talented" leopard on the planet: It wouldn't make any difference, the leopard would already be at the finishing line while the human has hardly left the starting blocks because nature has given a physical advantage to the leopard.

dreamgoddess099
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I made it scientific law? :eek: Wow, that was easier than I thought.Well you said it was established, only way if could be established is if it were a scientific law. It's not, the theory has never even been tested.

Karsten Braasch ;)

And Karsten was a chain-smoking and drinking B-list (once A-list, but no longer at that point in time) doubles player.
Soooo? Serena was a 15 year old girl who players like Elena Dementieva agreed totally sucked at the sport at that age. That result really had more to do with Serena rather than Karsten. Everybody knows Serena's leaps and bounds better than the player she was at 15. Futhermore, since when does one loss mean you can never beat someone?

Serena just lost 5 games to the world 227. :rolleyes:She Also recently beat the Number 2 player 6-1,6-2 then 6-1, 6-1. She can whip anyone when she wants too.

Aphex
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
What is the point of these kind of threads? Except for the entertainment in seeing how ignorant some people are of course. Donald Young would win 6-1 6-1 if he was a gentleman and let Serena have a couple of games. Everything Serena can do in tennis is just mediocre compared to the men. It's not really about talent. It's just science. Women have on average 70% of the physical strength of men.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Any male player of even mediocre quality would beat even the very best female players with ease. It has nothing to do with talent but with the fact that nature has given males a physical advantage that's impossible to overcome. It's like letting the fastest man (or woman) on earth run a 100m race against the fattest, laziest and "least talented" leopard on the planet: It wouldn't make any difference, the leopard would already be at the finishing line while the human has hardly left the starting blocks because nature has given a physical advantage to the leopard.

If we are talking about the single fattest, laziest leopard on the planet I would give the human a chance. There must be some seriously out of shape, obese, over the hill, leopard in captivity, who hasn't done any serious running in several years, perhaps with a heart condition, who a good 100m runner could sucessfully compete against. ;)

Chrissie-fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
If we are talking about the single fattest, laziest leopard on the planet I would give the human a chance. There must be some seriously out of shape, obese, over the hill, leopard in captivity, who hasn't done any serious running in several years, who a good 100m runner could sucessfully compete against. ;)
If we could find a way past his prime, a sort of Bobby Riggs among leopard runners, maybe there's a human out there that would have a chance I guess. :lol: ;) But that doesn't take away from the fact that there's no way that the best wrestler in the world, say Hulk Hogan, would be able to bodyslam an elephant! :drink:

Steffica Greles
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Probably Young, and handsomely.

But the problem with battles of the sexes is that the women invariably get intimidated playing against men, and at the same time the men probably don't try as hard as they might otherwise, as gentlemen.

So we'll never know just how close they are to playing at the same physical level.

I myself have sometimes thought that Serena Williams would surely win a few games from a set against Olivier Rochus, who is 5'6, but who knows?

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
If we could find a way past his prime, a sort of Bobby Riggs among leopard runners, maybe there's a human out there that would have a chance I guess. :lol: ;) But that doesn't take away from the fact that there's no way that the best wrestler in the world, say Hulk Hogan, would be able to bodyslam an elephant! :drink:

Oh yes!!! Can't disagree with that. :lol: :worship: ;)

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Well when Young was 14 I remember him practicing with Mary Pierce at the US Open.
He was staying with her shot for shot.

So if he can do that at 14, he can definately keep up with Serena.

His serve is still vulnerable for someone like Serena.
He moves well but unlike Serena is not able to just go for winners on the run from any spot on the court.

Serena more mentally tough and honestly there's not much about Donald's game Serena can't take advantage of.

Serena in three.

Steffica Greles
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
Well you said it was established, only way if could be established is if it were a scientific law. It's not, the theory has never even been tested.

Soooo? Serena was a 15 year old girl who players like Elena Dementieva agreed totally sucked at the sport at that age. That result really had more to do with Serena rather than Karsten. Everybody knows Serena's leaps and bounds better than the player she was at 15. Futhermore, since when does one loss mean you can never beat someone?

She Also recently beat the Number 2 player 6-1,6-2 then 6-1, 6-1. She can whip anyone when she wants too.

When Serena played Braasch as a 16 year-old in January 1998, she was already making a name for herself on the tour, having beaten Davenport, Spirlea, Seles and Pierce. That was four top ten players in three tournaments (Chicago '97, Sydney '98, Melbourne '98).

Most had her marked as a future world number one, because sporadically she was already playing at that level.

So Serena was far from a slouch when she played Braasch. Dementieva wasn't on the tour at that time, so she wouldn't know.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Donald Young is gaining. I must admit I would find it somewhat reassuring if DY could overtake Serena in this poll. It would be an indication (albeit a small one) that less than 50% of WTAworld posters are complete fools. :lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Donald aka 'Donna' Young:

17 y.o.
height: 5'9" (1.75 m)
weight: 145 lbs (65 kg)
high rank: 437
ATP record: 0-10

He is terrible, really. So if Serena plays like she did at AO final and Young plays like he did at Miami-06 Serena definitely could pull an upset.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM

17 y.o.

He is terrible, really. So if Serena plays like she did at AO final and Young plays like he did at Miami-06 Serena definitely could pull an upset.

Young has improved in the last year, as most 16 going on 17 year olds do, but yes that is true, if DY showed his old Miami 2006 form then Serena would be in with a chance. :lol: I still say 6-4 6-2 to DY though.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM

Oh, and I forgot to add: I'm sure that's exactly what will happen if they play.

I think the more valid question would be: Could Yound doublebagel Brie Whitehead in the match of the worst players from both Tours? :lol:

Orion
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
How is this even a contest? Are you all serious? Serena's great for a woman, and Young is lousy (at the moment) for a man, but he'd still beat her in straight sets easily.

I feel kind of bad for Young since he's become the laughing stock of men's tennis. His handlers should be ashamed of putting someone with so little experience in JUNIORS into Masters level events. Poor kid.

Slutiana
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM

I think the more valid question would be: Could Yound doublebagel Brie Whitehead in the match of the worst players from both Tours? :lol:

:spit: :spit: the chances of him doing that are very slim:tape:

Reuchlin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ummm, is this the same Serena Williams that was eating bagels against Justine just a couple of weeks ago? If Serena can't win games against women, what makes all of you think she can beat a guy?

Slutiana
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
And yeah i would have to say serena 6-4 6-3 come on..many people think of her as the all time best womens player (followed closely by venus) i think donald has no chance...serena regulaly serves into the late 120's her best is like 128 and it would have been the world record if it wasnt 4 that goddamn Shultz-Mcartney (cant spell it lool) against a little boy who i could beat...

Aphex
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
If we could find a way past his prime, a sort of Bobby Riggs among leopard runners, maybe there's a human out there that would have a chance I guess. :lol: ;) But that doesn't take away from the fact that there's no way that the best wrestler in the world, say Hulk Hogan, would be able to bodyslam an elephant! :drink: Nah, in nature, that kind of leopard would be dead. If you took one born and bred at a zoo, it would probably do nothing until the human started running. Then their natural instinct would take over. It would hunt the human down in a couple of secs, blood and gore, race would never finish.

Slutiana
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Ummm, is this the same Serena Williams that was eating bagels against Justine just a couple of weeks ago? If Serena can't win games against women, what makes all of you think she can beat a guy?

the thing is..SHE WON THE WHOLE MATCH...how is it possible to win a match without winning a game unless the opponent retires?? please use you brain next time u post

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:28 PM

Errr....It was a good joke and you did make a point. But while Young is far from being a threat on the main men's tour he is actually improving. In his last challenger he beat 2 players ranked in the top 250. You seem too smart to seriously believe a player capable of top 300 men's tennis would lose to any woman player. But maybe not. :shrug:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
How is this even a contest? Are you all serious? Serena's great for a woman, and Young is lousy (at the moment) for a man, but he'd still beat her in straight sets easily.

I feel kind of bad for Young since he's become the laughing stock of men's tennis. His handlers should be ashamed of putting someone with so little experience in JUNIORS into Masters level events. Poor kid.

Well said.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Nah, in nature, that kind of leopard would be dead. If you took one born and bred at a zoo, it would probably do nothing until the human started running. Then their natural instinct would take over. It would hunt the human down in a couple of secs, blood and gore, race would never finish.
Well, the human would win because since you're not supposed to eat your opponent during a 100m race the leopard would be disqualified. :drink:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Well, the human would win because since you're not supposed to eat your opponent during a 100m race the leopard would be disqualified. :drink:

Its true. This is why cannibals have never made good 100m runners. :yeah:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
What I really question, is why this same question has been asked three times (including this thread) in 2 or 3 days! Didn't the members answer the thread topic the first two times?!

Chrissie-fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Its true. This is why cannibals have never made good 100m runners. :yeah:
This in sharp contrast with the possible victims of those cannibals.:drink:

Ravsieg
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Oh please, honestly.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:42 PM

17 y.o.

I am convinced you have never seen him play lately :wavey:

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Errr....It was a good joke and you did make a point. But while Young is far from being a threat on the main men's tour he is actually improving. In his last challenger he beat 2 players ranked in the top 250. You seem too smart to seriously believe a player capable of top 300 men's tennis would lose to any woman player. But maybe not. :shrug:

Of course ATP Top-300/500 player would beat any woman player. I just don't think Young is Top-300/500 player...

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Of course ATP Top-300/500 player would beat any woman player. I just don't think Young is Top-300/500 player...

His ranking is 437. In the last 12 months he is 7 wins, 8 losses on the challenger tour, which is about what one would expect for a player ranked 437. Actually looking at his results this year he is probably playing better than his ranking. Not alot better, but probably something like 350. But he definately is playing to a top 300/500 standard.

I'm actually begining to suspect he is likely to eventually, in 3 to 5 years, reach a top 50 ranking. That ofcourse is nowhere near what he was hyped to achieve a couple of years ago but it is better than his detractors might think.

the jamierbelyea
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
I remember when Serena and Venus both joined the tour. They played an exhibition against some Italian male challenger journeyman. They both got killed pretty easily, I don't think he was ranked in the top 500

Olórin
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
I remember when Serena and Venus both joined the tour. They played an exhibition against some Italian male challenger journeyman. They both got killed pretty easily, I don't think he was ranked in the top 500

Won't don't you read a few of the posts a bit further back.

One match doesn't tell us anything. Serena was 15/16 at the time and hadn't even played in a Grand Slam, I don't think the out come (61) tells us anything!

Prep_boii
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Serena if she was on probably could win a set.

lets not make her seem TOO weak. but shed have to be playing out of her mind good, and hitting aces like nothing...and holding her serve with easy....

thats the key, if she could hold serv and maybe focus on breaking donald, she might win....

but thats a big if.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
His ranking is 437. In the last 12 months he is 7 wins, 8 losses on the challenger tour, which is about what one would expect for a player ranked 437. Actually looking at his results this year he is probably playing better than his ranking. Not alot better, but probably something like 350. But he definately is playing to a top 300/500 standard.

I'm actually begining to suspect he is likely to eventually, in 3 to 5 years, reach a top 50 ranking. That ofcourse is nowhere near what he was hyped to achieve a couple of years ago but it is better than his detractors might think.

That is not true. With those statistics, if he is playing a full year, he should be Top 300.

Simplicity.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
He won a futures event today, so I dont think there is any doubt, he would win easily in straights.

tennisbuddy12
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Donald won his first singles title today in his career but Serena dominates!

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
That is not true. With those statistics, if he is playing a full year, he should be Top 300.

I said 350. You say 300. Let's not quibble about 50 rankings points. :shrug: :lol:

I think we both have the same general vibe about him actually having a modest future.

SV_Fan
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
It depends on which Serena he is going against. Current Serena no. 2006 Serena yes 2005 Serena maybe depends. 2004 Serena No. 2003-1998 Serena no.

I think venus could beat him too.

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
serena 6-4 7-5

Donald Young took a set off a Djokovic at the US Open, and Donald has beaten Sam Querrey, trust me he has faced and beaten players who hit the ball a lot harder then Serena on a consistence basis.
With out Serena power advantage, I really Don't see any weapon she has that can hurt Donald game, and remember Serena is slower then she once was, Donald is really speedy he will chase down every ball that comes his way, he also has dealt with players that are speedy and powerful and will take advantage of player that don't blast him off the court. Serena had trouble with Peer at the Australian Open and in Miami to a lesser extent, who I consider a counter puncher more than any other playing styl, Donald can do more than what Peer can do, especially with some one who hits the ball less as hard as he can or just as hard as he can. He is good at opening the court and creating opportunities to end points and go to net, Donald did it often in the first two set in the match with Djokovic at the US Open.
Dont underestimate the Don!:cool: :wavey:

ViennaCalling
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Why do you guys think Serena would win? :confused:

Serena?

*hingis_forever*
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Having seen both of them play live, I would say Young wins remarkably easily. Yes, Serena is "the most powerful female player of all time" but female power is a whole other thing than male power!

Realtennis
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Oh God, don't embarass yourself!!!
You and everybody else on here who thinks Serena would win, pretty much just told everybody on WTAWORLD.COM that you don't play tennis.
You never have and probably never will.
Anyone who does, knows that there's NO CHANCE for any woman pro against a ranked man, much less a teenage junior.
Those of us who do and do it well, are rolling our eyes and laughing at you!

Realtennis
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Won't don't you read a few of the posts a bit further back.

One match doesn't tell us anything. Serena was 15/16 at the time and hadn't even played in a Grand Slam, I don't think the out come (61) tells us anything!
They got killed at the Australian Open by Karsten Braasch, who was fined a few times on the tour for SMOKING CIGARETTES IN BETWEEN CHANGEOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Groenefelder25
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
donald just i think

Max565
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
They got killed at the Australian Open by Karsten Braasch, who was fined a few times on the tour for SMOKING CIGARETTES IN BETWEEN CHANGEOVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, Serena was just 16 and Venus 17... and it was just for fun...

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
I said 350. You say 300. Let's not quibble about 50 rankings points. :shrug: :lol:

I think we both have the same general vibe about him actually having a modest future.

You said he is playing like 350 ;) But you said with the results, a ranking of 457 or whatever is to be expected. That's still quite a big difference :p

Anyways, I agree, yes.

Poova
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
OMG how the hell is Serena leading on this poll? :tape: Delusional Serena fans.

Donald in straights.

harloo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Serena 7-6(7-4) 6-7 (20-18) 7-6(7-1) :worship:

Tennace
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
People who say yes, are you serious? :speakles: :lol:

Serena would lose to almost every ranked serious male professional tennis player. It's a completely different game. Serena would barely get games.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM

Does the ATP Tour have an age tourney limit restriction like the WTA Tour ??

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Serena 7-6(7-4) 6-7 (20-18) 7-6(7-1) :worship:

No TB in the 3rd set:lol: Maybe 14-12 in games :p

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
:zzz: We aren`t talking about Roger Federer here but a wimpy boy ranked in the high 300s that can`t win a match at a real tournament. Serena at her best has plenty of power, speed, consistency, and a big serve. Irrespective of the "leopard" analogies or claims without evdience that any male pro could beat any female pro, it is not at all unreasonable to think that Serena could very possibly make a match of this...:)

Borris
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Probably Young, and handsomely.

I myself have sometimes thought that Serena Williams would surely win a few games from a set against Olivier Rochus, who is 5'6, but who knows?

You're crazy! Have you ever seen Rochus playing? he hit's a much heavier ball then Serena does. He's even been a threat to Federer ON GRASS!

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:38 AM

OMG you are kidding right?
Ollie would double bagel Serena in a little over 30mins.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
:zzz: We aren`t talking about Roger Federer here but a wimpy boy ranked in the high 300s that can`t win a match at a real tournament. Serena at her best has plenty of power, speed, consistency, and a big serve. Irrespective of the "leopard" analogies or claims without evdience that any male pro could beat any female pro, it is not at all unreasonable to think that Serena could very possibly make a match of this...:)

Serena at her best would get killed by Donald Young. That is how great the disparity btw the ATP and the WTA is. Go and watch some live pro tennis and report back.
Anyone saying otherwise just hasn't seen enough LIVE ATP tennis.
There are other girls I would put to play better against the men than Serena anyway. She is too inconsistent.
The men routinely have 10+ shot rallies.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Serena at her best would get killed by Donald Young. That is how great the disparity btw the ATP and the WTA is. Go and watch some live pro tennis and report back.
Anyone saying otherwise just hasn't seen enough LIVE ATP tennis.
There are other girls I would put to play better against the men than Serena anyway. She is too inconsistent.
The men routinely have 10+ shot rallies.

Still :zzz: .....:lol: I`ve seen plenty of live professional tennis. Yours is an arrogant opinion without evidence that I`ll gladly file with all the opinions I daily receive. Young is a lightweight. That`s the point. Williams at her best could easily make a match of this. Now "report back" when you learn that you need evidence for such strong assertions.

azinna
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
Serena, if playing her best, would likely be able to keep the sets competitive. But unless Donald were to freeze up, she'd be straight-setted. He'd be able to chase down and hit out on a lot more balls than Peer, Henin, Capriati, Clijsters.... He'd be more consistent than Serena during hard-paced rallies and be able to do more with the ball, open up the court, finish things off with the volley more consistently. It's not that Serena wouldn't have her weapons. It's only that those weapons would become much less potent in this match up. More of her usual winners, even aces would become part of a good rally.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Still :zzz: .....:lol: I`ve seen plenty of live professional tennis. Yours is an arrogant opinion without evidence that I`ll gladly file with all the opinions I daily receive. Young is a lightweight. That`s the point. Williams at her best could easily make a match of this. Now "report back" when you learn that you need evidence for such strong assertions.

Before I go any further, let me ask you (AND ALL WHO SAY SERENA WILL BEAT YOUNG OR MAKE IT COMPETITIVE)

HAVE YOU SEEN YOUNG PLAY LIVE???

Pls answer that before I go on.

Actually let me add another question:

Have you seen Young play AT ALL? a full match not just bits and pieces.

cellophane
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Serena? would double bagel Young. Serena!!!!!!!! however would not win a point.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Before I go any further, let me ask you (AND ALL WHO SAY SERENA WILL BEAT YOUNG OR MAKE IT COMPETITIVE)

HAVE YOU SEEN YOUNG PLAY LIVE???

:lol: :lol: Do you think screaming is going to help your point? You are looking more like an arrogant adolescent all the time... Yes, I have seen Young play. Now I suppose you are going to report that you have seen him play live over and over, outline your analysis, then say it`s just a fluke that he can`t win a big league match and is ranked in the high 300s. Go ahead...;)

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:23 AM
Young is a lightweight. That`s the point. Williams at her best could easily make a match of this.

What exactly do you mean by Young is a lightweight? That he is small in stature? Or his game is lightweight?

If it is the latter, you are wrong.

If it is the former, your contention that 'that is the point' is also wrong. It's not about size. It's about speed and strength. He's MUCH MUCH MUCH fitter than her and has too much game for her. It would not be a match.
It would be like Donald beating up on his fellow juniors.

But this is because I have seen Donald play and seen his court dexterity and pretty good feel.

PS
Donald can hit harder than Serena.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
:lol: :lol: Do you think screaming is going to help your point? You are looking more like an arrogant adolescent all the time... Yes, I have seen Young play. Now I suppose you are going to report that you have seen him play live over and over, outline your analysis, then say it`s just a fluke that he can`t win a big league match and is ranked in the high 300s. Go ahead...;)

Where did you see him play? How is his serve? What are his weapons?

Sorry don't believe you. Because if you have seen him play this shouldn't be a question.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
It would not be a match.
It would be like Donald beating up on his fellow juniors. .

You make the big claim. Back it up with evidence...:D I`m interested in more than what a kid on the net claims to have seen at a challenger tournament.

But this is because I have seen Donald play and seen his court dexterity and pretty good feel.

PS

I`ve also seen him play. He makes a lot of mistakes and his results reveal it.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Where did you see him play? How is his serve? What are his weapons?

Sorry don't believe you. Because if you have seen him play this shouldn't be a question.

You are the one making the big claim that Young would "kill" Williams. It`s your job to answer the questions here....;) Who cares what you believe. Why should I believe you? :lol:

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
I`ve also seen him play. He makes a lot of mistakes and his results reveal it.

First of all you still have yet to say where you saw him play or what his game is like. Stop lying.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
You are the one making the big claim that Young would "kill" Williams. It`s your job to answer the questions here....;) Who cares what you believe. Why should I believe you? :lol:

cop out :haha:

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
Donald Young won the singles 6-2 6-2 and doubles 7-6 6-4 titles in a future event, check Men Tennis Forums .com general messages, topic titled (Donald Young wins little Rock Titles).:worship: :bounce: :D

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Okay, here's some evidence about what might happen. The famous "Battle of the Sexes" between Billie-Jean King and Bobby Riggs was played after he had beaten Margaret Court. Now, for those of you who aren't up on your tennis history, Riggs was 55, overweight, and , Court was 30, and the #1 player in the world. Also, for those of you saying "hey, women weren't athletic in the 70's", think again. Court had the athletic discipline of Navratilova before the Navratilova system happened. And Riggs won 6-1, 6-2.

Now, you may not think that Donald Young may not have the technical proficiency of Bobby Riggs, but Young has faced multiple players, on the Challenger circuit and in his ill-fated ATP forays, that serve as fast or faster than Serena (on average and top speed). Young hits the ball harder and more consistently that Serena, he's faster than Serena, how is this even a conversation?

Here's another little tidbit: Ryan Sweeting (whom Donald Young beat handily at a Challenger last month) defeated Maria Sharapova in straight sets when he was 16 and she was 18.

Need more? Young stayed competitive for two sets with Novak Djokovic (currently the world #7) in September. If you're talking about their peak performances, it doesn't matter that thus-far his best play in a visible match lasted only two sets. That would be enough to humiliate ANY women's tennis player in the world in a best of three match.

She wouldn't ace him frequently enough for that to be a factor. She wouldn't hit winners enough because he can run down some that no woman on tour can. He'd not only take control of the point, but he'd require that Serena be able to stay in a rally that's more than ten shots repeatedly. When was the last time ANY women's tennis player hit at that level just to stay in a rally?

Yes, Young has a reputation for sucking. Yes, he was overhyped (who the hell thought it a good idea to give a 15 year old that much publicity? I haven't heard of a crazy tennis dad on the men's side in a while!) and is suffering the consequences of his bad handling. But he is a top 100 talent, and there isn't a woman alive who could take a set, let alone a match, off of a man with that kind of ability.

The only thing you do when you make threads like this is force people into highlighting the physical differences between men and women. That's not something to strive for. It sucks that I have to tell you (because teaching doesn't seem to work here) that women aren't as strong as men athletically, because it makes me sound like a chauvinist prick, but it's the truth, and the sooner you accept the fact that Serena Williams isn't a goddess who can do super human things, the better the quality of this message board will be.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
First of all you still have yet to say where you saw him play or what his game is like. Stop lying.

You made the claim kiddo. Back it up. What`s da matter? :lol: Until you do you are just a kid on the internet talking out if his butt.... I`ve made no big claim, just a general opinion that right now is as good as yours if not better....;)

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
cop out :haha:

Oh very much to the contrary. You come with the big claim and want to ask questions rather than back it up. Sorry kiddo, doesn`t work that way, hopefully you`ll learn that if you decide to attend college...:lol:

supergrunt
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Okay, here's some evidence about what might happen. The famous "Battle of the Sexes" between Billie-Jean King and Bobby Riggs was played after he had beaten Margaret Court. Now, for those of you who aren't up on your tennis history, Riggs was 55, overweight, and , Court was 30, and the #1 player in the world. Also, for those of you saying "hey, women weren't athletic in the 70's", think again. Court had the athletic discipline of Navratilova before the Navratilova system happened. And Riggs won 6-1, 6-2.

Now, you may not think that Donald Young may not have the technical proficiency of Bobby Riggs, but Young has faced multiple players, on the Challenger circuit and in his ill-fated ATP forays, that serve as fast or faster than Serena (on average and top speed). Young hits the ball harder and more consistently that Serena, he's faster than Serena, how is this even a conversation?

Here's another little tidbit: Ryan Sweeting (whom Donald Young beat handily at a Challenger last month) defeated Maria Sharapova in straight sets when he was 16 and she was 18.

Need more? Young stayed competitive for two sets with Novak Djokovic (currently the world #7) in September. If you're talking about their peak performances, it doesn't matter that thus-far his best play in a visible match lasted only two sets. That would be enough to humiliate ANY women's tennis player in the world in a best of three match.

She wouldn't ace him frequently enough for that to be a factor. She wouldn't hit winners enough because he can run down some that no woman on tour can. He'd not only take control of the point, but he'd require that Serena be able to stay in a rally that's more than ten shots repeatedly. When was the last time ANY women's tennis player hit at that level just to stay in a rally?

Yes, Young has a reputation for sucking. Yes, he was overhyped (who the hell thought it a good idea to give a 15 year old that much publicity? I haven't heard of a crazy tennis dad on the men's side in a while!) and is suffering the consequences of his bad handling. But he is a top 100 talent, and there isn't a woman alive who could take a set, let alone a match, off of a man with that kind of ability.

The only thing you do when you make threads like this is force people into highlighting the physical differences between men and women. That's not something to strive for. It sucks that I have to tell you (because teaching doesn't seem to work here) that women aren't as strong as men athletically, because it makes me sound like a chauvinist prick, but it's the truth, and the sooner you accept the fact that Serena Williams isn't a goddess who can do super human things, the better the quality of this message board will be.

:worship:

but Serena is super-human :cool:

Dominic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM
you're not a pro (i would hope that for you :lol:)

all the physical advantages men do have ;)
You mean advantages men have over most women. We are talking about serena williams here, she is more physically gifted than about 75% of men.

Sinnet
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM

Brilliant post.

I'm an absolute Serena Williams fan, but it's ignorant to say that she'd beat him.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:47 AM

The only thing you do when you make threads like this is force people into highlighting the physical differences between men and women. That's not something to strive for. It sucks that I have to tell you (because teaching doesn't seem to sound like a chauvinist prick, but it's the truth, and the sooner you accept the fact that Serena Williams isn't a goddess who can do super human things, the better the quality of this message board will be.

Pls try and explain to TFan1156... she/he seems to be stuck on the little yellow bus :weirdo:

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:49 AM

Haha. Okay, so maybe I went overboard...

But seriously, I love Serena, and think when she plays her absolute best she's the finest women's tennis player on tour, but I am stunned that people who watch both ATP and WTA matches, have seen both Young and Serena play, or play tennis can possibly think the match would be competitive.

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
he/he seems to be stuck on the little yellow bus :weirdo:

Well, neither of you are being particularly mature, but the post is kind of intended to end the thread. If there's one thing I do well, it's kill threads ;)

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:52 AM

It`s interesting that you highlight Riggs win over Court but leave out the fact that King beat him in three straight sets...;) I do agree though that those aren`t the best of comparsions for the present discussion. Young is no tower of mental strength and makes plenty of mistakes, is why he hasn`t gotten far. Taking a set off of Djokovic proves little as the latter can be terrible at times. Bring the Williams of the 2007 AO final and Donny will have something to contend with, getting on the defense receiving if Williams is serving well, and at least occasionally finding himself on his heels if delivering a low first serve percentage. Is plenty of reason to see Williams as making a match of this. But there is simply no way of knowing without bringing the match.

LindsayRulz
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:53 AM
Even if I like Serena, I must admit that Donald Young would probably kill her.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:54 AM
Brilliant post.

I'm an absolute Serena Williams fan, but it's ignorant to say that she'd beat him.

I agree. It is equally "ignorant" to say that Young would "kill" her...;)

cellophane
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM

No, she is not. That's Serena?.

Dominic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:59 AM
You're crazy! Have you ever seen Rochus playing? he hit's a much heavier ball then Serena does. He's even been a threat to Federer ON GRASS!

Rochus does not hit harder than serena in any way. he has other advantages over her but she can hit just as hard or harder.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Well, neither of you are being particularly mature, but the post is kind of intended to end the thread. If there's one thing I do well, it's kill threads ;)

Oh please, is all in good fun and you are surely no tower of maturity bringing this false aire....:lol: You`ve actually ended nothing. It`s all speculation without bringing the match and one can speculate in either direction...

Dominic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
What exactly do you mean by Young is a lightweight? That he is small in stature? Or his game is lightweight?

If it is the latter, you are wrong.

If it is the former, your contention that 'that is the point' is also wrong. It's not about size. It's about speed and strength. He's MUCH MUCH MUCH fitter than her and has too much game for her. It would not be a match.
It would be like Donald beating up on his fellow juniors.

PS

Would ppl stop being idiots by saying that men are much stronger than women. hello!? we already knew that but were talkin about serena williams here and its not hard to see that she has about twice the amount of muscle on her body than donald has. and shes more muscular than about 50% of the atp players.

mboyle
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:07 AM
Any male player of even mediocre quality would beat even the very best female players with ease.

I don't debate that. I debate whether or not Young is of mediocre quality. I haven't seen him play. Judging by his results, he doesn't seem to do much better than the women against the ATP players. I remember reading in some tennis encyclopedia that, in 1982, Bud Collins said there were only 50 men in the US who would beat Martina Nav. I think Serena is as dominant as Nav. Young must be somewhere around the 50th best American man, rankings wise.

He certainly wouldn't blow Serena off the court if Serena served well.

vw.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:11 AM
He certainly wouldn't blow Serena off the court if Serena served well.

I agree. I believe if Serena was serving well, hitting all her serves into corners with her outstanding pace, the match would be somewhat close, maybe a 6-3, 6-2 sort of affair.

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
It`s interesting that you highlight Riggs win over Court but leave out the fact that King beat him in three straight sets...;) I do agree though that those aren`t the best of comparsions for the present discussion. Young is no tower of mental strength and makes plenty of mistakes, is why he hasn`t gotten far. Taking a set off of Djokovic proves little as the latter can be terrible at times. Bring the Williams of the 2007 AO final and Donny will have something to contend with, getting on the defense receiving if Williams is serving well, and at least occasionally finding himself on his heels if delivering a low first serve percentage. Is plenty of reason to see Williams as making a match of this. But there is simply no way of knowing without bringing the match.

I think everyone who follows women's tennis knows about the BJK match, and I didn't want to get into that nasty business of discussing Bobby Riggs and potentially throwing the match (which many people have speculated, and he refused to discuss), as that would be valid in this conversation, and I think women's sports have taken enough of a hit on this thread with people actually thinking about the potential of Serena to beat Donald Young without my bringing a cloud of suspicion around the 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 (close, hunh?) match that a 55 year old man lost to a top female player.

Obviously Young isn't a paragon of mental strength; he was 15-16 years old playing against top 100 players after being hyped by three major US publications (TIME, Newsweek, and Sports Illustrated) as the next big thing. Serena isn't an ATP top 100 quality player. She's possibly not even an ATP top 1000 quality player. That's the kind of match Young's going to be hitting freely during, and playing comfortably.

As for the Djokovic comparison, don't even think of brushing that one aside. First set: Djokovic hit 5 aces, had a 77% first serve IN figure, won 70% of them, lost just 9 points on his serve. Young, for his part, won 73% of 2nd serves, and recorded a 134 mph serve.
Match: Djokovic recorded a 117 mph average on firsts, and and Young 110 mph.
NOW, Serena doesn't serve as well as Djokovic, and her first serve average is barely as good as Young's in that four-setter.

Let's say Serena brings her best. So we've got what, a 115 mph 1st serve average, probably 105 2nd? She's hitting her groundstrokes crisply to the lines at around 70-75 mph. She's moving well. Young has about the same 1st serve average, slightly lower 2nd. His groundstrokes are going to be slightly harder, plus he's more capable of mixing up shots that are coming at him at those speeds (the net, droppers, slice, etc). He's moving well, which for him is substantially better than Serena moves, and better than any female pro.

He can get to more of Serena's shots. He's used to people being able to run down his, she's not. Who's got the better capability to keep a rally going now? I've seen Young play very good tennis, and I've also seen him play very bad tennis. Same for Serena. Thing is, his best is better than her best, and his worst is much better than her worst.

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Oh please, is all in good fun and you are surely no tower of maturity bringing this false aire....:lol: You`ve actually ended nothing. It`s all speculation without bringing the match and one can speculate in either direction...

I'll address the trivial first, just to clarify things (arguments go more better if people understand each other).

If you think this is a false air, ask 99% of the posters on this board what a long post from me means, and what my reputation is on this board. And of course I've ended nothing, I meant that after I've gotten involved in a conversation on these boards, it seems to die down. I always seem to find time for this when everyone else is winding down.

As for speculation, feel free to speculate to your hearts content, but I've put forth multiple examples now, and I don't see any from you. Where are the women who've stayed competitive with tennis players of comparable ability to Young? Fact is, there's much more documentation showing men beating women, and handily, than there is of women competing with men and winning. Show me THOSE examples and this debate continues. Until then, it's not a debate.

mboyle
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Thing is, his best is better than her best, and his worst is much better than her worst.

I would agree with that. However, I think her best is better than his worst.

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Would ppl stop being idiots by saying that men are much stronger than women. hello!? we already knew that but were talkin about serena williams here and its not hard to see that she has about twice the amount of muscle on her body than donald has. and shes more muscular than about 50% of the atp players.

For all that muscle, her fastest ever serve is 128 miles per hour, while the fastest I've heard of Young hitting is 134.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
I'll address the trivial first, just to clarify things (arguments go more better if people understand each other).

If you think this is a false air, ask 99% of the posters on this board what a long post from me means, and what my reputation is on this board. And of course I've ended nothing, I meant that after I've gotten involved in a conversation on these boards, it seems to die down. I always seem to find time for this when everyone else is winding down.

As for speculation, feel free to speculate to your hearts content, but I've put forth multiple examples now, and I don't see any from you. Where are the women who've stayed competitive with tennis players of comparable ability to Young? Fact is, there's much more documentation showing men beating women, and handily, than there is of women competing with men and winning. Show me THOSE examples and this debate continues. Until then, it's not a debate.

Don't waste your time with TFan1156. SERENA OWNS ALL!!!!!

Serena?

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM

That's fair. Are we talking about peak Young vs. peak Serena, or average vs. average?

Orion
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Okay, I have to go fix dinner and grade papers, but I'll try and get back and respond to anymore responses before I crash. Have a good night, everyone!

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:35 AM
I think everyone who follows women's tennis knows about the BJK match, and I didn't want to get into that nasty business of discussing Bobby Riggs and potentially throwing the match (which many people have speculated, and he refused to discuss), as that would be valid in this conversation, and I think women's sports have taken enough of a hit on this thread with people actually thinking about the potential of Serena to beat Donald Young without my bringing a cloud of suspicion around the 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 (close, hunh?) match that a 55 year old man lost to a top female player. .

You didn`t need to explain all of that. King won the match in straights. I`m aware of no good evidence that Riggs tanked but I`d consider any if provided.

Obviously Young isn't a paragon of mental strength;

Right. And this is a real factor in the discussion.

Serena isn't an ATP top 100 quality player. She's possibly not even an ATP top 1000 quality player. That's the kind of match Young's going to be hitting freely during, and playing comfortably.

These are personal opinions without evidence. I`ll stow then away in my opinions file...;)

As for the Djokovic comparison, don't even think of brushing that one aside. First set: Djokovic hit 5 aces, had a 77% first serve IN figure, won 70% of them, lost just 9 points on his serve. Young, for his part, won 73% of 2nd serves, and recorded a 134 mph serve.
Match: Djokovic recorded a 117 mph average on firsts, and and Young 110 mph.

Link me to the match stats. If true, sounds like Donny played a good set against a Nole that was playing well. Is too bad for American tennis fans that Donny doesn`t do that more often...;)

NOW, Serena doesn't serve as well as Djokovic, and her first serve average is barely as good as Young's in that four-setter.

Wait a second here... Are you going to assume that Donny will bring the same tennis he did for one set, one match against Nole? :lol: If so that would be hardly reasonable and as speculative as anyone on the thread...

Let's say Serena brings her best. So we've got what, a 115 mph 1st serve average, probably 105 2nd? She's hitting her groundstrokes crisply to the lines at around 70-75 mph. She's moving well. Young has about the same 1st serve average, slightly lower 2nd. His groundstrokes are going to be slightly harder, plus he's more capable of mixing up shots that are coming at him at those speeds (the net, droppers, slice, etc). He's moving well, which for him is substantially better than Serena moves, and better than any female pro.

He can get to more of Serena's shots. He's used to people being able to run down his, she's not. Who's got the better capability to keep a rally going now? I've seen Young play very good tennis, and I've also seen him play very bad tennis. Same for Serena. Thing is, his best is better than her best, and his worst is much better than her worst.

Young`s "capability" is immaterial. Against Williams he is outmatched in mental strength and rather than running down balls and delivering formidible returns, he may well make a lot of mistakes as he often does. Williams serving well could well put him behind, and you would be grossly unreasonable to assume that he would bring the same level of tennis for the match that he did for one set against Nole. This could easily turn into a match though I`d never argue that Williams would win.

P.S. It looks like you didn`t "end" the thread after all. I got another essay out of you....;)

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:37 AM

You don't get it do you, Serena at US Open would still lose to Donald convinsingly, I doubt he would need to rely on counter punch her, he would be able to play as aggressive as he wants. Take hingis def dechy 6-0 6-2 at the Australian Open for ex. when Martina isn't being pressure by powerful shot relentlessly, she reverts to a more aggressive all court game. There is just no way he's going to have difficulty with some one who doesnt hit as hard as he doses, also doesn't have a better all around game then he has.The question is could Serena handle the variety and hard hitting shot from every area of the court from Donald consistently.

Dominic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
serena hits easily as hard a donald if not harder. The pace in the women's game is pretty much the same as in the men's game, even at the very top. and this has been proved by radars.

AcesHigh
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:49 AM
If it's Peak Serena, she could probably make an upset and win in 3 sets.

This is not Federer.. it's not even someone in the top 300.

Meanwhile, peak Serena is probably the greatest female tennis player to grace a tennis court with physical abilities that probabaly surpass that of the miniscule Donald Young.

I have seen Young play live and he is not that amazing. Yes, he has good form, but he has a long way to go. He could probably go toe-to-toe with Serena but I'm sure Serena, at her best, could definitely take the match the distance.

Today's Serena would probably go down in two competitive sets if she's serving well.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:52 AM
You don't get it do you, Serena at US Open would still lose to Donald convinsingly, I doubt he would need to rely on counter punch her, he would be able to play as aggressive as he wants. Take hingis def dechy 6-0 6-2 at the Australian Open for ex. when Martina isn't being pressure by powerful shot relentlessly, she reverts to a more aggressive all court game. There is just no way he's going to have difficulty with some one who doesnt hit as hard as he doses, also doesn't have a better all around game then he has.The question is could Serena handle the variety and hard hitting shot from every area of the court from Donald consistently.

What I don`t get is all these posters arrogantly affirming speculations as undisputed fact....:p You got a lot of faith in a 17 year old kid ranked like 380 that hasn`t won a big league match....:lol: Bring the Serena of the 2007 AO final and the typical mentally weak young and this is a tennis match, not a slaughter. Pretty simple. You don`t get it, do you? :lol:

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:56 AM
serena hits easily as hard a donald if not harder. The pace in the women's game is pretty much the same as in the men's game, even at the very top. and this has been proved by radars.

Sure it is:rolleyes: but even if, which I don't believe she hits as hard as he does, she has never face someone in the women game with that kind of power that has that much variety.

Polikarpov
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:00 AM

Women hit the ball hard because they have fairly flat shots. Men meanwhile, hits hard, but at the same time with lots of topspin. The radar may register the same speed but they don't necessarily have the same heaviness which the topspun ball has.

Also, I think that Young would feed off Serena's pace of shots.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
Women hit the ball hard because they have fairly flat shots. Men meanwhile, hits hard, but at the same time with lots of topspin. The radar may register the same speed but they don't necessarily have the same heaviness which the topspun ball has.

Also, I think that Young would feed off Serena's pace of shots.

Exactly. First of all Donald hits harder than Serena.
Secondly, all of Serena's shots would be in Donald's strike zone while his will vary for her.
This can be seen while watching their matches. Serena hits the same type of ball for the gross majority of her shots. Flat drives with a bit of spin.

And we know how Serena loves playing lefties :rolleyes:

Realtennis
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
You don't play tennis

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Secondly, all of Serena's shots would be in Donald's strike zone while his will vary for her.:

Wait a minute, this guy has a "strike zone"? :lol:

Aphex
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:15 AM
What I don`t get is all these posters arrogantly affirming speculations as undisputed fact....:p You got a lot of faith in a 17 year old kid ranked like 380 that hasn`t won a big league match....:lol: Bring the Serena of the 2007 AO final and the typical mentally weak young and this is a tennis match, not a slaughter. Pretty simple. You don`t get it, do you? :lol: If Orion's arguments don't reach you, nothing will. You don't get it, do you? :shrug:

Dominic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:15 AM
Exactly. First of all Donald hits harder than Serena.
Secondly, all of Serena's shots would be in Donald's strike zone while his will vary for her.
This can be seen while watching their matches. Serena hits the same type of ball for the gross majority of her shots. Flat drives with a bit of spin.

And we know how Serena loves playing lefties :rolleyes:

Dang do you guys watch tennis, serena on average groundstroke speed hits harder than guys in the top 10, in some of her matches. And I know they hit with more topspin but still it is wrong to say that donald has more power than her. I never verified but im about a 100% sure that serena's average groundstroke speed is about 3-5 mph higher than donald's.

Realtennis
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Again, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T PLAY TENNIS, YOU WATCH IT!
You've "seen" but NOT PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's like a 300lb. 85 year old grandma with BIG 'OL TITTIES coaching the DALLAS COWBOYS at the Super Bowl!
Y-O-U S-H-O-U-L-D BE F-O-R-B-I-D-D-E-N F-R-O-M P-O-S-T-I-N-G!!!!!!!

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:20 AM
If Orion's arguments don't reach you, nothing will. You don't get it, do you? :shrug:

I didn`t see any "arguments" but only an attempt to win an argument with speculations and some strange expectation related to stats on one set in one match. You need to find a new hero...;)

Polikarpov
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:24 AM
Dang do you guys watch tennis, serena on average groundstroke speed hits harder than guys in the top 10, in some of her matches. And I know they hit with more topspin but still it is wrong to say that donald has more power than her. I never verified but im about a 100% sure that serena's average groundstroke speed is about 3-5 mph higher than donald's.

And because Serena hits 3-5 mph higher than Donald means she's gonna beat him? And I doubt Serena would be hitting that hard if she faces a consistent heavily topspun ball.

dreamgoddess099
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
When Serena played Braasch as a 16 year-old in January 1998, she was already making a name for herself on the tour, having beaten Davenport, Spirlea, Seles and Pierce. That was four top ten players in three tournaments (Chicago '97, Sydney '98, Melbourne '98).
Wow, you really are reaching. You also forgot to mention that same 16 year old Serena had never even made it past the first round of any tournaments (and it was only once that she'd even made it past qualies) before she played that tournament in Nov 1997 were she beat Pierce, Davenport, and Seles. You used 1 week of good results compared to the several ones of poor results she where she was getting flamed in the qualies. That was just 2 months before she played Braasch. Just a month later she'd lose a match 1 and 1 to Joannette Kruger. That's like saying that because Joanette beat Serena 6-1 too, that means she's Braasch's equal.

Most had her marked as a future world number one, because sporadically she was already playing at that level.Sure Serena beat a couple of good players a few times, but that was the exception, not the rule. Just two months prior she couldn't make it past the qualies, she wasn't regularly playing good tennis yet. On average she was losing to a lot more lesser players than she was beating good ones.

So Serena was far from a slouch when she played Braasch. Dementieva wasn't on the tour at that time, so she wouldn't know. At times she wasn't a slouch, but more often than not she was. Anyway, Dementieva didn't have to on tour at the time that observation was made, she witnessed Serena's play in Moscow and said something to the effects of "She's not good at all, She'll never make it.":lol: Serena herself has said she didn't start to become good at the sport until she was about 15.

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:42 AM
What I don`t get is all these posters arrogantly affirming speculations as undisputed fact....:p You got a lot of faith in a 17 year old kid ranked like 380 that hasn`t won a big league match....:lol: Bring the Serena of the 2007 AO final and the typical mentally weak young and this is a tennis match, not a slaughter. Pretty simple. You don`t get it, do you? :lol:

What does Serena posses that's going make Donald wilt, he has beaten powerful players before, and the WTA most powerful players doesnt equate to the ATP most powerful players, also it want take long for him to figure out her weakness doing a rally and exploit them, especially if she try to engage in a battle of ground strokes, they'll be a losing effort, besides that isn't even Donald's game which is being efficient with what he has, but not as much as Rochus.
I know Serena can do more then just hit the ball hard, but Donald does more and is faster , I couldn't imagine her dropshoting him successfully, he would just run it down and put it a way at net and give him a short slice, that this giving him a reason to be aggressive an moving into court and doing something with the ball, he can do more things with the ball than the players she compete against on the WTA tour and he doses it with power, I don't think she would be as much as a threatening change up as he would be for her. Most likely out of the two of them she'll be the one that's shell shocked.

Dunlop1
Dang do you guys watch tennis, serena on average groundstroke speed hits harder than guys in the top 10, in some of her matches.
And I know they hit with more topspin but still it is wrong to say that donald has more power than her. I never verified but im about a 100% sure that serena's average groundstroke speed is about 3-5 mph higher than donald's.

You never verified but you are 100% sure... :weirdo:

Realtennis
Wow, you really are reaching. You also forgot to mention that same 16 year old Serena had never even made it past the first round of any tournaments (and it was only once that she'd even made it past qualies) before she played that tournament in Nov 1997 were she beat Pierce, Davenport, and Seles. You used 1 week of good results compared to the several ones of poor results she where she was getting flamed in the qualies. That was just 2 months before she played Braasch. Just a month later she'd lose a match 1 and 1 to Joannette Kruger. That's like saying that because Joanette beat Serena 6-1 too, that means she's Braasch's equal.

Sure Serena beat a couple of good players a few times, but that was the exception, not the rule. Just two months prior she couldn't make it past the qualies, she wasn't regularly playing good tennis yet. On average she was losing to a lot more lesser players than she was beating good ones.

At times she wasn't a slouch, but more often than not she was. Anyway, Dementieva didn't have to on tour at the time that observation was made, she witnessed Serena's play in Moscow and said something to the effects of "She's not good at all, She'll never make it.":lol: Serena herself has said she didn't start to become good at the sport until she was about 15.
Karsten Braasch toyed with them in those matches.
He was well known during his playing career for smoking cigarettes during changeovers.............................for which he received fines from tournament referee's many times!

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
Serena in 2 easy sets.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
What does Serena posses that's going make Donald wilt, he has beaten powerful players before, and the WTA most powerful players doesnt equate to the ATP most powerful players, also it want take long for him to figure out her weakness doing a rally and exploit them, especially if she try to engage in a battle of ground strokes, they'll be a losing effort, besides that isn't even Donald's game which is being efficient with what he has, but not as much as Rochus.
I know Serena can do more then just hit the ball hard, but Donald does more and is faster , I couldn't imagine her dropshoting him successfully, he would just run it down and put it a way at net and give him a short slice, that this giving him a reason to be aggressive an moving into court and doing something with the ball, he can do more things with the ball than the players she compete against on the WTA tour and he doses it with power, I don't think she would be as much as a threatening change up as he would be for her. Most likely out of the two of them she'll be the one that's shell shocked.

:lol: You are speculating scenarios that you want to speculate.... Serena could get the edge in rallies with good serving. She could also take control of many points the other way if Donny`s serving is off. Donny is a loser up til now, ranked around 380, hasn`t won an ATP match, and is quite prone to mistakes. Given all this, it is very conceivable that Serena, with her strong tennis, and even as a woman, could give him a match. Therefore, the local adolescents here shouting that this young cellar player would "kill her" do so with no basis but speculation....;)

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
:lol: You are speculating scenarios that you want to speculate.... Serena could get the edge in rallies with good serving. She could also take control of many points the other way if Donny`s serving is off. Donny is a loser up til now, ranked around 380, hasn`t won an ATP match, and is quite prone to mistakes. Given all this, it is very conceivable that Serena, with her strong tennis, and even as a woman, could give him a match. Therefore, the local adolescents here shouting that this young cellar player would "kill her" do so with no basis but speculation....;)

You're reaching, that could be applied the other way around.:wavey:

dreamgoddess099
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by GoDokic!
Ok, that statement is grossly over exaggerated, just as Serena's muscle mass is grossly over exaggerated. She really is not that muscular, compared to even some teenage boys.

For all that muscle, her fastest ever serve is 128 miles per hour, while the fastest I've heard of Young hitting is 134.
That doesn't mean Serena's not capable of learning to hit her serves that hard. Serena's never trained or pushed her self to hit serves that hard, she plays on the women's tour, she doesn't need to hit them that hard. Serena's only as good as she needs to be, but with her will, if she needed to be better she would be. That's the biggest difference between Serena and Donald, Serena's willing to rise to the occasion, Donald isn't, yet. Anyway, that brings up a good point about why men on average are stronger than women, it's because natural deemed that they needed to be. Nature could suddenly change her mind. Not that I'd want her too, I like being the petite sex, we look a lot better in clothes.:bounce: But lastly, bigger and stronger doesn't always win, the success of the human race and the fact that we run the planet over beings that are 50x's faster and stronger than us proves that. Strangely, people always seem to ignore that when it comes to arguments about males and females.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:15 AM
You're reaching, that could be applied the other way around.:wavey:

:lol: Everyone is "reaching." Can`t know until we get them on the court... But the idea of a Serena forcing the kid out of position and/or into weak returns with serves and making it a match is far more reasonable than the thesis that this world #380, 0-10 in ATP matches, mentally weak 17 year old will blow her off the court. That`s been the whole point...;)

Aphex
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
I didn`t see any "arguments" but only an attempt to win an argument with speculations and some strange expectation related to stats on one set in one match. You need to find a new hero...;) :speakles: So where are your facts? The whole basis of this thread is speculations, smartass.

Golovin&Jankovic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
:lol: Everyone is "reaching." Can`t know until we get them on the court... But the idea of a Serena forcing the kid out of position and/or into weak returns with serves and making it a match is far more reasonable than the thesis that this world #380, 0-10 in ATP matches, mentally weak 17 year old will blow her off the court. That`s been the whole point...;)

Those nonreturnable serves and ace most time would become returnable with interest, he's not Maria he has excellent foot speed and theirs many tough serve on the ATP, he'll figure out her service motion where she's going to place her shot just like Canas figured out Federer's.
You and and the Serena voters seem to think that Donald is a moon baller, and if he was a moon baller it's not the same as being a WTA moonballer, their a difference in power, and he dose more than chase balls down, Serena would have a hard time turning offences into defense against him.
I don't expect all those ackord out of position shot to be as effective against him.

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
Those nonreturnable serves and ace most time would become returnable with interest, he's not Maria he has excellent foot speed and theirs many tough serve on the ATP, he'll figure out her service motion where she's going to place her shot just like Canas figured out Federer's.
You and and the Serena voters seem to think that Donald is a moon baller, and if he was a moon baller it's not the same as being a WTA moonballer, their a difference in power, and he dose more than chase balls down, Serena would have a hard time turning offences into defense against him.
I don't expect all those ackord out of position shot to be as effective against him.

You sure got a lot of confidence in this mentally weak back road challenger player that can`t win an ATP match....;) And I `d never bet Serena to win as I`ve made clear. I do though doubt Donny would "kill her" if Serena brought some of her good tennis.

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM

Yeah, don't listen to TSFan bs you, talking about "i've seen Donald young play'. Lies. If TSFan had actually seen him he/she would shut it with the madness.

I'll say it again, Donald hits harder than Serena. This is not speculation. And his game is not even a power one.

In any case, it's not about who hits harder.
1. Donald has more game
2. Donald has wins over MUCH tougher opponents (In any term you can think of) than Serena

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM
Yeah, don't listen to TSFan bs you, talking about "i've seen Donald young play'. Lies. If TSFan had actually seen him he/she would shut it with the madness.

I'll say it again, Donald hits harder than Serena. This is not speculation. And his game is not even a power one.

1. Donald has more game
2. Donald has wins over MUCH tougher opponents (In any term you can think of) than Serena

You are obviously just a whiny disgruntled Young fan that got caught overstating his case. The guy has the ranking he has earned.....:lol: :lol:

Dunlop1
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
You are obviously just a whiny disgruntled Young fan that got caught overstating his case. The guy has the ranking he has earned.....:lol: :lol:

And this has what to do with the subject? Oh I forgot. Ad hominems are the favourites of those who can't support their arguments with facts.

Hurry now, don't want to miss the little yellow bus ;)

CooCooCachoo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:08 AM
I can't believe this.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Those that want to see some recent footage of Donald Young in action, go here:

http://braingame.dartfishnet.com/video.cfm?gpt=3&g=398

CooCooCachoo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Also check him out in doubles with Patrick Briaud. They won a Challenger this year.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
I can't believe this.

Yeah, it is a bit surreal. :lol:

Aphex
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Those that want to see some recent footage of Donald Young in action, go here:

http://braingame.dartfishnet.com/video.cfm?gpt=3&g=398
Thx for those. I wondered where all Swedish challenger players were hiding. Two lefties on the same doubles team was interesting also. Maybe I should visit the challenger forum on MTF some time?;)

TFan1156
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
And this has what to do with the subject? Oh I forgot. Ad hominems are the favourites of those who can't support their arguments with facts.

Hurry now, don't want to miss the little yellow bus ;)

Ahhh so I obviously struck a nerve :lol: , though yours have been "ad hominens" from the start... That and unsubstantiated sales pitches for a player that has proved a flop....;)

P.S.

"Ad hominen"?? I shocked you are familiar with such terms... Must have asked your mother to help you out on this one...:lol:

Dominic
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM

1. Donald has more game

will you fuck*ng stop saying he hits harder than serena. I havent verified but i know for a fact that she hits harder than him cause we often hear some of the average groundstroke speed of players and some of the much higher ranked men like hewitt and robredo almost are almost olways below serena amongst others so there is no way donald young hits as hard as serena.

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
thank goodness not a single true Serena fan came into this dumb ass, lame thread..........the fact I even bothered to come in here and post makes me even lamer...........ugh I need to quit drinking.........

:lol: If this is such a "dumb ass, lame thread" then why has it got so many replies and created so much debate? I guess, in your opinion, that says a lot about the people on this forum.

rrfnpump
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Young 62 62 or something like that

everybody who has just the slightest understanding of tennis will think that Serena wont stand a chance ;)

Rome
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
:lol: If this is such a "dumb ass, lame thread" then why has it got so many replies and created so much debate? I guess, in your opinion, that says a lot about the people on this forum.

It's called hating on Serena for being stronger then Most women Tennis player. So someone makes this thread to make it seem like this is how Serena wins by just power get real. I'm sorry to say she can't hit all the women off the court just the slow ones (Maria and other slow player.) But if you seen the Sony open she did'nt do that to the fast player's (Justine and the fast player) so poeple need to stop with all this Serena would beat Donald Young because it not true the only way Serena if he want her to win are broke his leg are arm.

hwanmig
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
I'll remember next time not to argue with Serena fans:tape:, this poll shows a lot on how little they know about tennis:o

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
It's called hating on Serena for being stronger then Most women Tennis player. So someone makes this thread to make it seem like this is how Serena wins by just power get real. I'm sorry to say she can't hit all the women off the court just the slow ones (Maria and other slow player.) But if you seen the Sony open she did'nt do that to the fast player's (Justine and the fast player) so poeple need to stop with all this Serena would beat Donald Young because it not true the only way Serena if he want her to win are broke his leg are arm.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand this post. It's funny to me how you're American and I'm Russian, yet I still speak better (or clearer) English than you do! :lol: In any case, I am the starter of this thread for better or for worse, and it was not started to insult Serena..I actually think she is a great player. I started the thread because i thought it was an interesting premise which could prompt some debate.

faboozadoo15
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:50 AM

how is that even remotely possible? serena at her worst is messing up her footwork and making error after error. donald at his worst is still getting ball after ball after ball after ball back into the court.

Rome
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
I'm sorry, I really don't understand this post. It's funny to me how you're American and I'm Russian, yet I still speak better (or clearer) English than you do! :lol: In any case, I am the starter of this thread for better or for worse, and it was not started to insult Serena..I actually think she is a great player. I started the thread because i thought it was an interesting premise which could prompt some debate.

I think you do understand my post. Sorry I'm not a spelling champ but I can see past your BS. One only has to look at you sig with names like the ova's justine you are a troll!!!!!!!!!

fred17
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Maybe she would lose, but she has a better and faster serve than most of the men outside of the top 30.

she cant hit like 220 k serves.. so when she hit a 180 through the center a male pro will hit a return winner 8 out of 10 times on it.. of give it so much spin that serena cant handle the ball..

why have many female pros, male hitting partners who are decent regional and local players?

Borris
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM

Ever heard of topspin?

It's the reason why power players on the WTA tour do more UFE's then on the ATP tour, a topspin shot is slower on the radar then a flat shot, but is heavier and more difficult to cope with.

Rochus would outrally Serena wit ease, not only because he's much quicker, but also because he hits a heavier and harder shot.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Thx for those. I wondered where all Swedish challenger players were hiding. Two lefties on the same doubles team was interesting also. Maybe I should visit the challenger forum on MTF some time?;)

Sarstrand was injured that week, but still played very well :) Good result for him. Likeable guy.

You definitely should ;) It's the best section on MTF, if I say so myself :lol:

CooCooCachoo
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Ahhh so I obviously struck a nerve :lol: , though yours have been "ad hominens" from the start... That and unsubstantiated sales pitches for a player that has proved a flop....;)

P.S.

"Ad hominen"?? I shocked you are familiar with such terms... Must have asked your mother to help you out on this one...:lol:

If you want to come across as intelligent, be sure to know how to spell some words.

Ad homimem. Not hominen.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

1) You certainly do speak better English than Rome :yeah:
2) Your premise sure has prompted some debate. :lol:

;)

Alicia Rocks
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
This thread makes me sick :help:

trufanjay
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Young, 6-3,6-2

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Young, 6-3,6-2

I really do think this is pretty much in the right ballpark. Serena would likely keep the score respectable, and win her share of points, without ever having any real chance to win the match.

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
I really do think this is pretty much in the right ballpark. Serena would likely keep the score respectable, and win her share of points, without ever having any real chance to win the match.

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
I'll remember next time not to argue with Serena fans:tape:, this poll shows a lot on how little they know about tennis:oRidiculous posts in ridiculous threads:confused:

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think you do understand my post. Sorry I'm not a spelling champ but I can see past your BS. One only has to look at you sig with names like the ova's justine you are a troll!!!!!!!!!

:o If you knew much about tennis, you would know that the TEN names in my sig are actually the current top 10 players in the world - that's why they're in my sig. I am no fan of Sharapova, or many of the ovas really, as you can see by the emoticons beside their names. :lol:

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
:o If you knew much about tennis, you would know that the TEN names in my sig are actually the current top 10 players in the world - that's why they're in my sig. I am no fan of Sharapova, or many of the ovas really, as you can see by the emoticons beside their names. :lol:Not that I mind the focus on Serena(she's the best player of the era), but why wouldn't you start a thread about a woman in the top ten playing against a dude, then? Certainly, you'd think they'd have a better chance @ D. Young than Serena who is only ranked #12.

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'll remember next time not to argue with Serena fans:tape:, this poll shows a lot on how little they know about tennis:o

:fiery: :mad: here you people go again saying that all williams' fans are 'bad':mad: :fiery:

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
:fiery: :mad: here you people go again saying that all williams' fans are 'bad':mad: :fiery:
We are.:devil:

Darop.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Young 6-1 6-1 or 6-1 6-0

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Not that I mind the focus on Serena(she's the best player of the era), but why wouldn't you start a thread about a woman in the top ten playing against a dude, then? Certainly, you'd think they'd have a better chance @ D. Young than Serena who is only ranked #12.

I don't understand this post either (maybe I do suck at English :o ) You're saying that Serena is the best player of the era, but then you say someone in the top 10 would have more of a chance? Serena's rankking of 12 does not accurately reflect how good of a player she is...I don't think anyone with a brain would argue against that..She definitely deserves to be in top 2 for sure.

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
We are.:devil:

lool i dont know what I am tho...i m a williams fan and we're apparently some of the worst fans here but im also a tati fan and we're apparently some of the best and nicest fans here..:confused:

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
I don't understand this post either (maybe I do suck at English :o ) You're saying that Serena is the best player of the era, but then you say someone in the top 10 would have more of a chance? Serena's rankking of 12 does not accurately reflect how good of a player she is...I don't think anyone with a brain would argue against that..She definitely deserves to be in top 2 for sure.I'm not sure if your English "sucks," but your comprehension skills may be lacking - a common flaw in many ESL people.

Being the best of the era does not necessarily denote current form or ranking. Out of curiosity, I'm wondering who the "other" player would be in your opinion. Again, this is not to insult the thread. This thread has a right to be posted like the other 594850458740 about Serena playing against a man on the ATP.

I've just noticed that whenever Serena wins a tourney or has a level of success threads like this pop up about her. That's even when she was barely ranked inside the top 100.

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
lool i dont know what I am tho...i m a williams fan and we're apparently some of the worst fans here but im also a tati fan and we're apparently some of the best and nicest fans here..:confused:Wait til Tati starts winning Slams, then you'll be considered a bad fan. Then again, let her become the #1 ranked American woman player. Most of the American fans won't like you much either....lol.

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Wait til Tati starts winning Slams, then you'll be considered a bad fan. Then again, let her become the #1 ranked American woman player. Most of the American fans won't like you much either....lol.

lool

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure if your English "sucks," but your comprehension skills may be lacking - a common flaw in many ESL people.

Being the best of the era does not necessarily denote current form or ranking. Out of curiosity, I'm wondering who the "other" player would be in your opinion. Again, this is not to insult the thread. This thread has a right to be posted like the other 594850458740 about Serena playing against a man on the ATP.

I've just noticed that whenever Serena wins a tourney or has a level of success threads like this pop up about her. That's even when she was barely ranked inside the top 100.

I doubt any other female on tour would have a better chance to beat D. Young than Serena, but that's just my opinion. And of course Serena threads are going to pop up all over the place--because she's playing so well and dismantling all her peers with relative ease at the moment, including the top 2 players in the world. The basic reason whY i started this thread was not only to discuss the physical aspects of a match between Young (a supposedly overrated, overhyped young man) and Serena W. who is a great player, but also the mental aspects of such a match....I don't know, probably stupid in retrospect but it seemed interesting at the time :lol:

Meteor Shower
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Wow, its amazing the bias thats going on over here.
Young will win easily.

Question to Serena fans:
Do you think any player other than Serena could defeat Young? (even including Seles and Graf)

Its enought to see a practice session of Serena vs. Club player to see the real level.

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
I don't know. It just seems like a bizarre sort of concept to me that any female tennis player, no matter how great (and I'm including female players greater than Serena, which I do think exist Im not completely blind) will get the shit kicked out of them by another player simply because he is male (and is stronger, more agile, whatever, faster serve)

Darop.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
WTF.

:haha: :haha: :haha: and SUPER-QUINTIPLE-UBER-ROFLMAO at people thinking Serena could actually beat an ATP pro :weirdo:

Jeez, whoever nicknamed this place TWATworld wasn't kidding.

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wow, its amazing the bias thats going on over here.
Young will win easily.

Question to Serena fans:
Do you think any player other than Serena could defeat Young? (even including Seles and Graf)

Its enought to see a practice session of Serena vs. Club player to see the real level.

:confused:

Pureracket
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
I doubt any other female on tour would have a better chance to beat D. Young than Serena, but that's just my opinion. And of course Serena threads are going to pop up all over the place--because she's playing so well and dismantling all her peers with relative ease at the moment, including the top 2 players in the world. The basic reason whY i started this thread was not only to discuss the physical aspects of a match between Young (a supposedly overrated, overhyped young man) and Serena W. who is a great player, but also the mental aspects of such a match....I don't know, probably stupid in retrospect but it seemed interesting at the time :lol:Understood.

mankind
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
WTF.
Jeez, whoever nicknamed this place TWATworld wasn't kidding.

Yet here you are. :)

BARBIE
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
When is the match guys ??? :)

Darop.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Yet here you are. :)

Yes, because I love tennis, this place is awesome for getting all the lastest news and results, but still, there are heaps and heaps of retards. And not only are they retards, but they say retarded things and are 100% convinced that what they're saying is the absolute truth :)

Darop.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM

I think if she took the pace of the ball at key times, men would find it very difficult to deal with that. A bit like Capriati trying to deal with Dementieva's ridiculous serve at the US Open in 2004 :lol:

If Serena played Roger Federer she would lose 60 60. But playing Donald young give her a bit of credit, I know men are stronger and naturally more athletic, but they're both still humans. Young isn't exactly a titan who is going to blast Serena off the court!

:eek: :haha:

Post. Of. The. Year.

If a man returns against Dementieva, they'd use her as their ass-wipe.

And Serena having a better serve than any man outside the top 30?? That's so funny it's sad.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, because I love tennis, this place is awesome for getting all the lastest news and results, but still, there are heaps and heaps of retards. And not only are they retards, but they say retarded things and are 100% convinced that what they're saying is the absolute truth :)

That's a terrible thing you say. Can't be true. I won't believe it. :lol:

...............;)

Slutiana
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM

Post. Of. The. Year.

And Serena having a better serve than any man outside the top 30?? That's so funny it's sad.

:rolleyes: u obviously dont like serena just say it

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
If many here don't think that Donald Young is the best player, then why would Serena beating him mean anything?! The fact is, she couldn't likely beat Roger Federer -- the male equilvalent of her talent. End of story.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
By the way, I thought that after Jimmy Connors kicked Martina Navratilova's butt (after giving her multiple handicap advantages), that the women v men stuff died right thend?! It should have.

faboozadoo15
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
All you'd have to do is see Serena get schooled by her hitting partners and male college players to know that this wouldn't be much of a match. The women on tour can't beat men on tour. It's really that simple. Many can be beaten by their coaches and top club players.

Craigy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM

Post. Of. The. Year.

Yes, I know a club player who can serve just as good as Serena :lol:

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM

Post. Of. The. Year.

Perhaps you should learn to read. I never even mentioned Dementieva playing any of the men. Besides, if you've ever actually watched Serena play, you would hear the commentators say time and again she serves faster than many of the men. :rolleyes:

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yes, I know a club player who can serve just as good as Serena :lol:

Well the best club play I know who competes at a national level on occasion can only serve at 122 mph, so Id be very interested to meet yours.

Craigy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well the best club play I know who competes at a national level on occasion can only serve at 122 mph, so Id be very interested to meet yours.

Ok :)

Olórin
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ok :)

Are you actually going to intoduce us then? :lol:

(Only joking Im not that bothered really;) )

Simplicity.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
This thread is just tooo good.

10s4life
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
a good male 5.5 or junior college player would school any of the women.

davidmario
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
well, I was shocked that caroline maes got 5 games against serena, I saw some local club matches here with Maes, and I thought that I could beat Maes!

Hashim.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Donald Young

jazar
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
donald young seriously sucks ass, but he would still win

Lulu.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Serena would beat him in straight sets

Dexter
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Great read. Thanks guys! :haha:

John.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
:haha: this thread is so funny

Craigy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
:o I can't believe people are saying she would beat him :confused:

Dexter
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
:o I can't believe people are saying she would beat him :confused:Serena?

dreamgoddess099
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
All you'd have to do is see Serena get schooled by her hitting partners and male college players to know that this wouldn't be much of a match. The women on tour can't beat men on tour. It's really that simple. Many can be beaten by their coaches and top club players.
Serena always says that Venus is killing her in practice too, does that mean she can't beat Venus. We already know that answer. Serena just doesn't like practicing. Anyway, I witnessed a 19 year old practicing against male hitting partner. She handled his pace just fine, in fact the slower balls of the women on tour seem to throw her off. If she couldn't keep up with her male hitting partners (one of which is a college player), she would have stop practicing against men a long time ago because they're to difficult. What's the point of practicing with someone you can't keep up with, she wouldn't be getting any practice. BTW, Serena can't win a Tier III or IV to save her life, so you know she'll never come close to winning a slam right?