PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Tennis Racquet... ?

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Anybody want to tell me something about my tennis racquet?

It's a Donnay. Comes in a purple and white bag.

I just found it in a closet at my parent's house - must have been my dad's or brother's - and started using it. I like it.

My brother said it's from the 80's; :lol: I think he mentioned Bjorn Borg.

I tried to research it on the internet... seems like this company is out of business. But there are some old racquets for sale here and there. I think mine is the "Cobalt" model.

Here is a similar one on EBay.. mine just seems a little lighter in color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Donnay-WST-Cobalt-Mid-tennis-racket-racquet-L4_W0QQitemZ250080288789QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20871QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng

Anybody familar with this brand? Information or stories about it?

RJWCapriati
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
Never heard of it

ToeTag
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
I think it was a Belgian company, and Agassi used a purple, and yellow one in the 80's or early 90's. That's all I can tell ya.

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
I think it was a Belgian company, and Agassi used a purple, and yellow one in the 80's or early 90's. That's all I can tell ya.

thanks.

Darop.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Never tried your frame, but it's a belgian company, Juju's first racket was a Donnay ;)

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Donnay is sold in stores here. It's a crap brand ;)

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Donnay is sold in stores here. It's a crap brand ;)

No, I think it is obsolete, not made any more.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
I have two Donnay graphite racquets from Belgium - real old school 1990s racquets and I love them, 90 sq inch heads so for all court style of play, similar in look to Wilson Pro Staff 85 with leather grips..

Donnay sponsored Greg Rusedski and supplied him with racquets up to 2005.

Agassi won Wimbledon with a Donnay racquet in 1992, played with Donnay from 1986 up to 1993.

Bjorn Borg won all his titles with Donnay.

Basically they were high quality. Then they went bust and was taken over by a British businessman in late 1990s - since then they seem to have consciously gone down market. They also make golf clubs, squash and badmington racquets and clothes - sell a lot over here in England via Lillywhites and Sports World (Sports World now own Lillywhites hence the connection). However, because of this they no longer seem to supply professional players. Here's some info about what happened to them.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE7DC1431F935A3575AC0A96E9482 60

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=52548

Actually I should add if the racquet you talk about is from the 1980s or 1990s, it will be considerably better quality than if it was constructed and sold today.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
No, I think it is obsolete, not made any more.

Uhm, I think I'd know better than you what I see in stores :o

It still exists.

drake3781
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
laurie: Thanks; good info.

So what is being sold today as Donnay, has nothing to do with the original 80's-90's brand Donnay used by the pros, except the name.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
^^ Thanks; good info.

So what is being sold today as Donnay, has nothing to do with the original 80's-90's brand Donnay used by the pros, except the name.

I think it is the same brand. This is the logo:

http://www.woodtennis.com/agassi/donnay3pro1s.jpg

But it just became less and less popular. In stores here, it's the cheapest racquet. I think many of the children's racquets are Donnay racquets.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
laurie: Thanks; good info.

Thanks, that's basically correct.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
I think it is the same brand. This is the logo:

http://www.woodtennis.com/agassi/donnay3pro1s.jpg

But it just became less and less popular. In stores here, it's the cheapest racquet. I think many of the children's racquets are Donnay racquets.

You slightly miss the point I'm making.

Joe Sch is a great guy and woodtennis.com is a great website. My brother bought an Estusa racquet from him (Becker and Connors played with Estusa)

But the Donnay classic racquets he's selling there are of significantly superior quality than the Donnay racquets been sold in the shops in your country. As I said, it's a conscious decision to shift lots of units and make money.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
You slightly miss the point I'm making.

Joe Sch is a great guy and woodtennis.com is a great website. My brother bought an Estusa racquet from him (Becker and Connors played with Estusa)

But the Donnay classic racquets he's selling there are of significantly superior quality than the Donnay racquets been sold in the shops in your country. As I said, it's a conscious decision to shift lots of units and make money.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but it is still the same brand. It is just that they have chosen to become associated with crappy racquets in order to make profit, rather than take on the tough competition by making high quality racquets. They were obviously losing out to other brands, so I guess it was the smartest decision.

I have an Estusa racquet, by the way. Very good quality.

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but it is still the same brand. It is just that they have chosen to become associated with crappy racquets in order to make profit, rather than take on the tough competition by making high quality racquets. They were obviously losing out to other brands, so I guess it was the smartest decision.

I have an Estusa racquet, by the way. Very good quality.

Same brand very true but a much different philosphy with new owners - that's quite common in business. But of course it gives people today the impression that Donnay is rubbish when in the past that was far from been the case.

I would like to get an Estusa at some point, my brother's one is from the 1980s and is top quality, the construction is superb, which estusa do you have?

CooCooCachoo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Same brand very true but a much different philosphy with new owners - that's quite common in business. But of course it gives people today the impression that Donnay is rubbish when in the past that was far from been the case.

I would like to get an Estusa at some point, my brother's one is from the 1980s and is top quality, the construction is superb, which estusa do you have?

I understand the business strategy ;) It's pretty straight-forward.

Estusa Sharp 25 with widebody bio kinetic system :lol: I never pay attention to those things, so I had to look it up :p

laurie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for that, but hey, you don't have to stick your tongue at me, let's be civil about this :lol:

drake3781
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
I understand the business strategy ;) It's pretty straight-forward.

Estusa Sharp 25 with widebody bio kinetic system :lol: I never pay attention to those things, so I had to look it up :p

I still think you are missing the point. The company went out of business then the name was sold to another company.

It's not a business strategy change.

laurie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I still think you are missing the point. The company went out of business then the name was sold to another company.

It's not a business strategy change.

I agree he has missed the point. But I didn't want to labour the point in case it turned to an argument.