PDA

View Full Version : Open Stance v the old stroking footwork

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
I learned to play in the 70's with a Chrissie Evert wood racquet using the closed stance stroking technique with my feet and body sideways. I can't seem to make myself hit open stance in my late 40's, as turning sideways and lining my feet up helps me to see the ball better. But I see that open stance is necessary in the modern faster game, but there are concerns that I wonder about.

First, I wonder if the twisting in open stance is tougher on the back than closed stance? Those of you who have learned closed but changed to open, what do you think about injuries caused by the change (if any)? How does it effect the way your body feels when you hit over the course of say an hour or two.

Second, I know that hitting open stance makes for covering the court quicker, other than that, those of you who learned both ways, what are the other plus' and minus' of changing from closed to open stance?

I expect that most players post the mid 90's have learned open stance, and may not have experienced the differences between that and the old way of hitting ground strokes, but please offer your opinion as well if you have ideas on differences.

tonybotz
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
I think open stance may be contributing to so many injuries. Closed stance seems more natural and keeps the body in order, leaning into the court. Open seems to put more pressure on the hips and upper body. A good closed shot where you're lined up and leaning into the ball can't be beat, imo.

Craigy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:21 AM
I love closed stance. :hearts: