PDA

View Full Version : Strangers are just friends waiting to happen

spiceboy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, either that or rape in a dark alley waiting to happen :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ever hear someone quote some stupid expression they read on a greeting card somewhere?

Which phrases piss you off most?

Pheobo
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
"Thinking outside the box"

If you consider your mind a box I feel really bad for you. If you wouldn't let your mind become a box in the first place you wouldn't have to think outside of it.

LoveFifteen
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
"Everything happens for a reason." :banghead:

spiceboy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Ever hear someone say "that may or may not be the case," as if there's some hidden third possibility that we weren't aware of? :tape:

Sally Struthers
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM
"god works in mysterious ways"

:rolleyes:

Marshmallow
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
"Having your cake and eating it too".

I'm sorry wth is this? What esle do you do with cake?

Please PG your suggestions :p

Joana
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
There are admirable potentialities in every human being.
No, there are not any potentialities in many human beings, let alone admirable ones.
Believe in your strength and your youth.
Like that's going to help.
Learn to repeat endlessly to yourself, 'It all depends on me.'
It doesn't.

LoveFifteen
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
^^^

I used to be confused by the phrase, but what it means is this -- "You cannot hold on to a piece of cake and eat it, too."

mykarma
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:11 AM

I'm sorry wth is this? What esle do you do with cake?

Please PG your suggestions :p
A friend from Africa ask me to explain that one the other day. Hell, I told her it never made sense to me either. Why would you want a cake it you couldn't eat it? :confused:

antonella
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:32 AM

Maybe it has something to do with Marie Antionette's 'Let them eat cake' remark, referrering to the lower-class mob?? Meaning 'we' the now 'empowered' mob CAN have our cake, and we'll damned well 'eat it'. My best guess.

spiceboy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
"Well that's just your opinion"

This one pisses me off just thinking about it. Any time you say something sucks around someone who disagrees, they try to validate their taste in shitty music/movies/clothing by reminding you that you still only speak for yourself, as if their opinions are in jeopardy of being monopolized by your own. Everyone already knows it's my opinion by virtue of the fact that I said it, no need to restate the obvious...

controlfreak
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Ever hear someone say "that may or may not be the case," as if there's some hidden third possibility that we weren't aware of? :tape:

I use that one a lot, particularly when an airline loses my suitcase and I have to identify it later from a line-up.

fnuf7
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
It's not really a saying or anything but I hate things being described as "edgy", usually if they're described that way then they are anything but "edgy" :p

Sugar_Kane
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
"Same difference"

No it's either the same or different, it can't be both!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

LoveFifteen
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
A friend from Africa ask me to explain that one the other day. Hell, I told her it never made sense to me either. Why would you want a cake it you couldn't eat it? :confused:

"You can't have your cake and eat it, too" means "you cannot have two incompatible things".

The problem is that most people hear this phrase, and they think that "having cake" means "eating cake". What "having cake" means in this expression is "holding on to your cake and not eating it".

"You can't save your cake and eat it at the same time." Or "you can't eat your cake and then still hold on to it afterwards." That's what the expression means.

And it has nothing to do with Maria Antionette.

venus_rulez
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
"You can't have your cake and eat it, too" means "you cannot have two incompatible things".

The problem is that most people hear this phrase, and they think that "having cake" means "eating cake". What "having cake" means in this expression is "holding on to your cake and not eating it".

"You can't save your cake and eat it at the same time." Or "you can't eat your cake and then still hold on to it afterwards." That's what the expression means.

And it has nothing to do with Maria Antionette.

That makes a lot of sense. Good job :)

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Awwwwww!

i like this phraseeeeeee haha.

spiceboy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Awwwwww!

i like this phraseeeeeee haha.

I hate these :fiery: :fiery:

Hmmmmm / Uhhhhh:
Next time you ask someone a question, look for the trademark sign of an idiot: the "hmmmmm" noise they make while they're thinking. It's especially noticeable when you go to a restaurant and the waitress asks what you want to drink; there's always some idiot thumbing through the menu, sounding off like a moron with "uhhhhhh...." as if the waitress is just going to walk away without taking your order if you don't give her an audible cue that you are still breathing. These are the same type of people who repeat the question you ask them to buy time when they don't know the answer, hoping you won't notice that they're stalling :rolleyes:

Meteor Shower
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
"god works in mysterious ways"

:rolleyes:

Same here. :fiery:

MistyGrey
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
In the end everything is fine, if not then its not the end!

spiceboy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Some of the best things in life are free

Yeah? Well so are some of the worst, and I don't see anyone throwing a party when they get cancer...

Helen Lawson
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
It all comes out in the wash.

What the hell does that mean?

spiceboy
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:29 AM
It all comes out in the wash.

What the hell does that mean?

Yeah, English is not my mother tongue and I don't know what that means :o

James
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:11 AM
"Everything happens for a reason." :banghead:

It does, but in a lot of moments it is not the best thing to say.

supergrunt
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM
As somebody mentioned here before "same difference" dosen't make sense :shrug: .

controlfreak
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Same difference: the difference between A and B is the same as the difference between B and A. Perfectly logical.

It all comes out in the wash: maybe incriminating receipts come out of your jeans pockets when your partner puts them in the wash? Or maybe the truth is revealed when your go to the swimming pool wearing wash-in wash-out hair dye.

God works in mysterious ways: What? He does! Just last week he was conducting a murder investigation, and started by destroying all the evidence! That's not just mysterious, that's downright suspicious! Then I saw him go to the toilet with the newspaper and when he came back the sports pages were all chewed up and he had black ink around his mouth...

Helen Lawson
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Same difference: the difference between A and B is the same as the difference between B and A. Perfectly logical.

It all comes out in the wash: maybe incriminating receipts come out of your jeans pockets when your partner puts them in the wash? Or maybe the truth is revealed when your go to the swimming pool wearing wash-in wash-out hair dye.

God works in mysterious ways: What? He does! Just last week he was conducting a murder investigation, and started by destroying all the evidence! That's not just mysterious, that's downright suspicious! Then I saw him go to the toilet with the newspaper and when he came back the sports pages were all chewed up and he had black ink around his mouth...

I think it's an attempt to say that everything evens itself out in the long run, but it's not a good phrase. I wonder if it was based on some German saying that just doesn't translate well or something.

spiceboy
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry, but (also known as "No offense, but"):

Girls usually say this when they think they're being clever: "sorry, but you're a moron." It's a phrase derived from the expression people use when they're breaking some bad news to an old friend: "I'm sorry to say this, but the results are back and... you're an idiot." The only problem is, they never intend to say it with such eloquence, but rather, they use the phrase like it's a blunt object, hammering their square insult through your round psyche. If you think someone's an idiot, just come out and say it without these pussy apologies...

Unless you're a character in a fighting game, have big boobs, and just won the round with a bitch slap, saying "sorry" just before you insult someone is obnoxious, cut the bullshit :cool:

LoveFifteen
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM
It does, but in a lot of moments it is not the best thing to say.

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree.

James
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree.

You are free to do so of course.

wta_zuperfann
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM
the most stupid idea ever is the one that says: suffering builds character

tterb
Apr 25th, 2007, 03:58 AM
"Everything happens for a reason."
Some good ones in here, but this one in particular gets a :fiery: from me.

What, pray tell, is the "reason" behind some of the awful human suffering every day? Just because some people wish events were all part of some logical plan does not make it so.

Another one I strongly dislike is "Life's not fair," usually said in response to someone who is complaining. Granted, some people have no sense of perspective and whine about insignificant matters, but "well, life's not fair," is such a cheap, flippant, and OBVIOUS response. Also, just because life isn't fair doesn't mean people shouldn't try to change things or speak up about them. You've got to deal with the shit that happens, yes, but you have every right to voice your opinions.

tterb
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:01 AM

Not to get all nerdy, here, but actually, the difference between A and B is exactly the opposite of the difference between B and A.

I'm sure you meant the magnitude of those differences is the same, which IS logical, but I'm just being a geek. :p

meyerpl
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Two phrases I hate to hear:

"Sir, have you been drinking?"

"The cops are on their way."

ico4498
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:19 AM
depression is just anger turned inwards.

égalité
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:21 AM
God works in mysterious ways.

tterb
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Oooh, how about "turn that frown upside down"?

Don't patronize me, asshole. If I'm frowning, there's a damn good reason, and I'll keep it just the way it is, thank you very much.

Randy H
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Not really so much a phrase, but I hate when someone complains or even just says that they are (for example) tired, and then someone else has to chime in with a comparative rant about how they've done this that and the next thing which means that you really don't know what tired is until you've been in their shoes. Can't you both be tired? Do you really need to negate or upend someone else like it's a competition to see who is really the most tired person in the world and therefore the only person entitled to mention it?

LoveFifteen
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
"I think the condom just broke." :help:

hingis-seles
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM
the most stupid idea ever is the one that says: suffering builds character

I've been handed this line SO many times. So far, more than character it's built anger and resentment.