PDA

View Full Version : Are there new players from the African continent that are emerging?

rhz
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
If so, who, from where and please post pics.

spiceboy
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Not really young, Marine Giraud from Mauritius will turn 21 next Monday (the day she will enter the Top 500 for the first time) and just won a $10K in Dubai without dropping a set. In her 2 previous tournaments she qualified and reached 2nd round in a couple of $25K in Australia (beating Kurhjacova in one of them).

http://www.wta96.com/wiki/images/8/84/Marinne_Giraud_1.jpg

spiceboy
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:32 PM
And keep an eye too on 15 yo Fatma Al Nabhani from Oman. She lost 61 62 against Anastasia Rodionova in WTA Doha 2 months again but is supposed to be someone fairly good.

germex
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
Oman is in Asia.

Mightymirza
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Oman is in Asia.

Just what I was gonna say..:lol:

spiceboy
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Ooooops :p

Haute
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:26 PM
Trying to find the next Dally Randriantefy are we? ;)

antonella
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Not really young, Marine Giraud from Mauritius will turn 21 next Monday

This is news to me. Mauritius is part of the African continent?? It's way out in the Indian ocean and is as far from Africa in distance as England and Russia are. But, what do I know.:tape:

Привет
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
I hope some African tennis players start to come through soon. Are there any young South Africans who look promising?

Marshmallow
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'd like to see some players from main land africa emerge. But i guess the problem may be facilities and lack of funding. Or some level of corruption :o

Haute
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Or security. South Africa is about the safest country on the continent right now; which is why we'll see players emerge from places like Mauritius, Madagascar, the Canary Islands, etc. before anywhere else. Although players coming from the Maghrib is a possiblity as well.

Привет
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
I'm sure there has to be SOME young South Africans.. I know of Natalie Grandin, Surina de Beer & Chanelle Scheepers, but none of them are particularly young, or very promising from what I know.

auntie janie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Samia Medjahdi is a 22-year-old Algerian. She plays on the Challenger circuit and is ranked 438.

franklinbouvier
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
Perhaps some Ethiopians could follow Hanthuchova's lead?

auntie janie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
I just looked it up -- Samia is Algeria's only WTA player. Must be lonely out there for her. :(

germex
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
I think Morocco is the country with more promising young players, Tunez, Algeria, South Africa should have a few; and Nigeria with their challenger eventually will develop some players.

AlwaysGraf
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:50 AM

Ouch-but I laughed :)

Slumpsova
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
OMG :tape: :lol:

spiceboy
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Or security. South Africa is about the safest country on the continent right now; which is why we'll see players emerge from places like Mauritius, Madagascar, the Canary Islands, etc. before anywhere else.

Canary Islands part of Africa? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nice to hear Monica Seles has played in Africa then :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'm sure there has to be SOME young South Africans.. I know of Natalie Grandin, Surina de Beer & Chanelle Scheepers, but none of them are particularly young, or very promising from what I know.

South Africa used unranked Lizaan Du Plessis for FedCup last week and she actually won all her matches. Yet she is about as old as her other countrywomen too.

Still, good week for her.

Babolatpro880
Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
South Africa used unranked Lizaan Du Plessis for FedCup last week and she actually won all her matches. Yet she is about as old as her other countrywomen too.

Still, good week for her.

Only because she skipped most of last year. In 2005, she was nearly ranked inside the top 500.

Mattographer
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
:tape: :lol:

Tripp
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM

It seems so obvious you've always had something to eat at dinner time. I don't think that's funny at all.

égalité
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

:tape: :haha:

But yeah, Medjahdi had some very good results last year, beating players ranked around 500 losing just a game or two.

LCS
Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
the Canary Islands, well.

The Canary Islands are part of the Spanish territory...:)

LCS
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
This is news to me. Mauritius is part of the African continent?? It's way out in the Indian ocean and is as far from Africa in distance as England and Russia are. But, what do I know.:tape:

You're a dummie...Of course Mauritius is in Africa...you should check the maps..;)

What do you know?? Apparently nothing concerning African geography! :D

paul_masterton
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
south africa has got some good girls coming through.

id expect countries like morocco to be producing more girls like bahia mouhtassine over the next few years. and its only a matter of time before the nigerian girls start to develop as funds and the oppertunity to play good match more frequently arise - but im talking about a good 5-8 years away.

That being said, Clara Udofa was useful, but she chose uni over tennis, and came to Britain,which probably improved her tennis a bit. And Femi Odeyemi-Musa wasnt that bad, but she disappeared pretty quickly.

Xian
Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
well actually there is no Nigerian girl with any talent at the moment. Algeria has Samia Medjahdi and Sara Meghoufel who recently started to play ITF events. She is not that bad but can enter the top 500 if she continues.
Egypt has Nihal Tarek-Saleh and Magy Aziz who fairly play. Morocco and Tunisia do have some young players but too early to say if they are talented.
Fact is , there is no one who is able to crack the top 500 of the younger african players at the moment not even from South Africa. Sounds sad but its the truth.
And there are some "fake" tennis girls from Ghana who are sometimes on commitment lists but never ever played a tournament. Hopefully they are finally baned from the ITF

Slumpsova
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
well actually there is no Nigerian girl with any talent at the moment. Algeria has Samia Medjahdi and Sara Meghoufel who recently started to play ITF events. She is not that bad but can enter the top 500 if she continues.
Egypt has Nihal Tarek-Saleh and Magy Aziz who fairly play. Morocco and Tunisia do have some young players but too early to say if they are talented.
Fact is , there is no one who is able to crack the top 500 of the younger african players at the moment not even from South Africa. Sounds sad but its the truth.
And there are some "fake" tennis girls from Ghana who are sometimes on commitment lists but never ever played a tournament. Hopefully they are finally baned from the ITF
who are they? and why did they do that? :lol:

Xian
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
who are they? and why did they do that? :lol:

I think those were girls who tried to get a visa :help:

Slutiana
Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM

i know surina da beer she coached me a few times:) shes based in england

Kai
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM
monica gorny and bianca swanpoel are young south african girls but i dont know if they can be top 150 players in the future

Ravsieg
Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Most of you people wouldn't know that South Africa is in Africa if it wasn't for the "AFRICA" part of the name. Jeez, most of the nations I've heard here (and some weren't even nations!) aren't African.

:lol: